Rad burns

Options
2»

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    ouch!
    Just saw this. So sorry, Jackie! That sounds awful. I didn't burn so badly so I can't offer any advice unfortunately. Your doctors sounds confident that is not serious enough to discontinue treatment. I'm glad of that.

One thing I can offer: my burns have now almost completely disappeared less than 2 weeks out of treatment. Just some darkening at the booster area. I hope you have a speedy recovery as well. And yes, you MUST party when you're done!!

PS. Love the sweet picture of you and daughter.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Yes, Jackie...
    Unconditionally. For sure. :-)

Besides, please remember who you're amongst when you're here...

None of US care about who's bald, with peach fuzz, or with porcupine hair, hedgehog hair, etc. Doesn't matter, at all. Not here.

Kind regards, Susan

Porcupine hair!
    I love it, Barbara. I have come across a less pleasant way to describe it: sheep's **** hair. lol.
  • piseminger
    piseminger Member Posts: 35
    Options
    rad burns
    Hi Jackie, I am new to this network but not to cancer. I just finished my 33 rounds or radiation. I also had some severe burning. My doctor recommended two things which really helped. The first is an over the counter medicine call "Domeboro". It is a powder that you put in water. I soaked a facecoth in it and laid it on my skin. It made it feel so much better. The other is a prescription that she gave me. It is a thick white cream call
    "Silver Sulfadiaz 1%." You apply a thin coat after you have done the Domeboro. It also helped.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Penny
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Sweet Jeanne
    yes your posts always have helpful rad tips which i use faithfully. You are also always so sweet.
    I saw the Dr today and they gave me gauze pads and bottles of saline to use. It feels really soothing, then i leave it dry open to the air..then the silvadene (3x's a day) this with pain pills. I only have 5 boosters left!! yeah!
    I hope you have a really good weekend Jeanne and thanks!
    Jackie

Jackie, the saline and leaving your skin bare does sound soothing. I am so glad to hear you received something to help with the healing and pain.

By the way, I think Jamie takes after her mom, too. You are both beautiful, hair or no hair, or just porcupine hair.....
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Porcupine hair!
    I love it, Barbara. I have come across a less pleasant way to describe it: sheep's **** hair. lol.

Sheep's **** hair?!? :-)
    OK, that almost made me laugh out loud!!! I have absolutely no idea what the heck a sheep's **** hair looks nor feels like!!!

Of course, I don't know what a porcupine or a hedgehog feels like, either. But, at least I can visualize them!

By the way, as for the descriptions I used: peach fuzz was my own way. Jackie says porcupine hair - Moopy says hedgehog. (Sorry you two, if I mixed those up.) Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Now, Mimi says... sheep's **** hair! Sorry - can't stop typing it! Too, too funny!

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: HEY, how come **** doesn't get the *** treatment? (Because it's an... animal?!?)
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

rad burns
    Hi Jackie, I am new to this network but not to cancer. I just finished my 33 rounds or radiation. I also had some severe burning. My doctor recommended two things which really helped. The first is an over the counter medicine call "Domeboro". It is a powder that you put in water. I soaked a facecoth in it and laid it on my skin. It made it feel so much better. The other is a prescription that she gave me. It is a thick white cream call
    "Silver Sulfadiaz 1%." You apply a thin coat after you have done the Domeboro. It also helped.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Penny

Penny
    I had completely

Penny
    I had completely forgotten about Domeboro. I used it during my pelvic radiation. It was great. Good idea.
    Stef
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Penny
    I had completely

Penny
    I had completely forgotten about Domeboro. I used it during my pelvic radiation. It was great. Good idea.
    Stef

Domeboro
    I will look for this. thanks. BTW how long before healing begins and i quit cooking?
    jackie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    OUCH, indeed! I did not have
    OUCH, indeed! I did not have very much burn...only at the end, and that was mostly itchy. I am sooo sorry it is as ugly for you as you described. :-(

On the other hand, I could feel your positive, cheery and upbeat attitude regarding your weekend; I am sure you laughed and had the best time! I wish all of us could be with you at the Motel~ in a way we are, but yeah, we know the depressed feeling. Odd...I don't recall ever hearing the word Booster until recently~ so I don't think that was part of my rads regimine,or if it was, no one ever informed me! Blissfully Ignorant! LOL

Heal, and know that your acatual physical family loves you,and so do we!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    chenheart said:

OUCH, indeed! I did not have
    OUCH, indeed! I did not have very much burn...only at the end, and that was mostly itchy. I am sooo sorry it is as ugly for you as you described. :-(

On the other hand, I could feel your positive, cheery and upbeat attitude regarding your weekend; I am sure you laughed and had the best time! I wish all of us could be with you at the Motel~ in a way we are, but yeah, we know the depressed feeling. Odd...I don't recall ever hearing the word Booster until recently~ so I don't think that was part of my rads regimine,or if it was, no one ever informed me! Blissfully Ignorant! LOL

Heal, and know that your acatual physical family loves you,and so do we!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Sorry for your burns
    Sorry your burns are so bad. Mine were not bad at all but did get worse after I finished rads for about a week.

Biafine works great but it is expensive. Aquafor is also really good and very greasy so it gives a good coating. Also a friend told me that Vitamin E worked well for her.

I hope you are better soon.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Sorry for your burns
    Sorry your burns are so bad. Mine were not bad at all but did get worse after I finished rads for about a week.

Biafine works great but it is expensive. Aquafor is also really good and very greasy so it gives a good coating. Also a friend told me that Vitamin E worked well for her.

I hope you are better soon.

So sorry about your burns
    So sorry about your burns Jackie. Hope you get better soon!
  • piseminger
    piseminger Member Posts: 35
    Options
    rjjj said:

Domeboro
    I will look for this. thanks. BTW how long before healing begins and i quit cooking?
    jackie

I was amazed with how quick
    I was amazed with how quick the pain and redness went away. Even the areas where I was purple cleared up within just a few days after they stopped treating the area. They were treating three areas, my last treatment was last Monday and my skin is close to being back to normal. I was quite surprised and pleased.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    rjjj said:

Sweet Jeanne
    yes your posts always have helpful rad tips which i use faithfully. You are also always so sweet.
    I saw the Dr today and they gave me gauze pads and bottles of saline to use. It feels really soothing, then i leave it dry open to the air..then the silvadene (3x's a day) this with pain pills. I only have 5 boosters left!! yeah!
    I hope you have a really good weekend Jeanne and thanks!
    Jackie

Jackie!
    Jackie! I wish I could do more for you, but, I never got as bad as you

are. I do pray that you heal soon! So happy that the doctor was able to give you some

soothing relief. And, pain pills! And, I know I keep saying this, but, continue to use your

creams even after you finish rads. And, one other weird thing, or not weird thing, lol,

after rads, just to prove that you are still "cookin", your breast is still HOT to the

touch. So, lather up! You have a great weekend too Jackie!

Love, Jeanne
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

rad burns
    Hope this helps you out.
    Penny

So sorry that you burnt
    So sorry that you burnt Jackie. I have been using Biafine for my burns and it is helping, but, there are stronger prescriptions if you need them. I don't yet, and, I hope that I don't. And, whoever said that rads are easy are nuts. lol
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

So sorry about your burns
    So sorry about your burns Jackie. Hope you get better soon!

Biafine and Aquaphor are
    Biafine and Aquaphor are what I use. Don't use anything without your doctor's permission or knowledge. I hate when people say this is easy. Radiation and rad burns are not what I consider easy! Hope you are doing better.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    You deserve the party of all parties.
    Jackie, I am so sorry to read about your burns! I didn't burn as badly, so I don't have any advice to add that you haven't already heard. Just know that that these rough times will soon be the past and your body will heal. I am sending you loving thoughts and best wishes. You are in the home stretch! Lynn