Update from Mike49

Options
Mike49
Mike49 Member Posts: 261
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I know I have been absent awhile but just blame it on post-chemo euphoria. I had a PET scan which revealed one small area on my Liver. Liver Biopsy preliminary results show same cell type as my colon cancer. My doctor moved quick to get the surgery team lined up and we will be undergoing liver resection on Wednesday. Oncologist and surgeon think with one small leasion we can cut it out and move toward cure.

Its not the news I wanted to hear but I know what the plan is, I feel very confident in both my surgeon and my oncologist, so lets do this and move forward.

i have a great support team at home and here online so thank you all for that. I have had seven great weeks now back to the fight.

Mike

Comments

• BigPapaBear73
    BigPapaBear73 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Best wishes
    Wishing you the best Mike, i will keep you in my prayers. Stay positive, i want to hear from you soon. Hugs to you sir!!

Hector
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Mike
    Good luck to you. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and with the doctors.

Many Hugs, Vicki
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    pulling for you
    HI Mike,

Sorry to hear you have the liver spot, but glad to hear the doctors are on it so quickly and will be addressing it right away. The worst thing would to be to have to worry while waiting. You'll be fine! I will be praying for you for the surgery on Wed.

Take care & God bless,
    Lisa
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,good luck and best
    Hi Mike,good luck and best wishes to you.You will be in my prayer.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi, Mike
    Hey, Mike.

I wondered where you were. Glad you had some great weeks in there!

Sorry about the news, but sounds like you and your team are on it quickly. Let us know how things go.

I'll be praying for you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the lesion
    Hi Mike. I'm sorry about the PET result, but it sounds like your team is right on top of it and it is small and resectable. So best of luck. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    kmygil said:

Sorry about the lesion
    Hi Mike. I'm sorry about the PET result, but it sounds like your team is right on top of it and it is small and resectable. So best of luck. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Kirsten

mike
    Good luck to you and your up coming surgery.

michelle
  • Mike49
    Options
    Thanks
    I appreciate the kindness and support, today we begin again to fight this disease, I'll check in once I am home from the hospital.

Thanks

Mike
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Good luck
    Mike:

I trust the liver surgery will go well. Perhaps this is your last step to NED.

I plan to have a similar surgery after I complete chemo. I will be interested to read about your surgery experience.

Best Wishes,

Mike
  • Mike49
    Options
    Home from hospital and healing
    I am home after Liver Resection surgery and a bonus gall bladder removal. I was wiped out for the first three days home. I spent three nights in ICU and you get exhausted in there. I see the Oncologist again on the 15th, He is planning on doing FOLFIRI and Cetuximab. I know I can handle it but I am not looking forward to more chemo. Over the past 10 months I have tried to remain strong (and I still am strong) but I find I am a little emotional and letting myself feel it.

There is a time to fight and a time to feel, I think balance is important and letting myself be pissed off at or sad about cancer is allowed in some small doses. Anybody ever find themselves strong so long that they hit the wall? I feel like I hit it on Monday always downplaying the serios nature of what this fight is all about so my family, friends and co-workers don't feel sorry for me. I think now I have bigger things to worry about then how others think or feel, this fight takes energy.

Thanks all for letting me emote
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Mike49 said:

I am home after Liver Resection surgery and a bonus gall bladder removal. I was wiped out for the first three days home. I spent three nights in ICU and you get exhausted in there. I see the Oncologist again on the 15th, He is planning on doing FOLFIRI and Cetuximab. I know I can handle it but I am not looking forward to more chemo. Over the past 10 months I have tried to remain strong (and I still am strong) but I find I am a little emotional and letting myself feel it.

There is a time to fight and a time to feel, I think balance is important and letting myself be pissed off at or sad about cancer is allowed in some small doses. Anybody ever find themselves strong so long that they hit the wall? I feel like I hit it on Monday always downplaying the serios nature of what this fight is all about so my family, friends and co-workers don't feel sorry for me. I think now I have bigger things to worry about then how others think or feel, this fight takes energy.

Mike
    Glad you are home and things are going as well as can be expected. Yes, please let yourself feel. Get mad, have a pity party, and then get back to fighting. I posted in the past that I break old plates when I start feeling like this...and guess what? It doesn't stop with NED. I still have major issues (translate poop problems) and I broke 3 plates yesterday. It was cathartic and it helps my fight to get all those bad feelings out.

Hang in there Buddy...we started this journey together and I am still here with you.

Vicki
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Mike49 said:

We Think Alike
    Hi, Mike

I'm Craig - nice to meet you.

You struck a chord with me on your post. First, let me say that you are a brave man. Liver resection is a big deal. I almost had one but I've go fatty liver, and so they switched to RFA to attach the tumor instead.

As long as they were already in there, it was good that they could remove your gall bladder as well - maybe they will give you a discount:} Just kidding on that part. My wife is due to have her gall bladder too, we're meeting a surgeon next week. That's a big bang on your body and I've heard ICU is a scary place to be. I'm glad you are doing ok.

I echo your sentiments completely on your emotional state of mind. I always play it down to friends, co-workers, and family - even my wife. I do not want them to pity me either. I ask for them to be able to empathize and understand, but most of the time, let's face it, after a certain amount of time, people just don't want to hear about it - they just want it to go away - like you can take a pill and just get over it and back to where they think you need to be.

Every time I have received the cancer diagnosis, I go through my grief cycle: I skip completely through denial and always have. I get mad 1st, because I know what I have to go back through again, as you stated above. Then, I get a little sad that I have to have it and go back through it and everybody is getting on with their lives having a great time, and you are stuck on the launching pad and can't "lift off." Then, I get my mind right and resolve to fight and continue. Then "rinse & repeat." What I mean by that, is that that the cycle can play over again at different times during the battle.

I have found that most people do not have the Depth and Understanding to be able to provide you with the types of things you need when you are fighting Cancer. I don't guess I did either before I got, so I just people be the way they are. You are right, you have so much to deal with and need your energy for fighting, that you can't worry about how people are perceiving you. I had almost lost compelete faith in people, even my close ones, until I stumbled upon this board. I've found more love and support here than at any time of my life, so I think God got me here to help myself and others.

My personal battle has just started its 6th year - we're looking at 2 spots on the pleura of my lung right now and I've met with a thorasic surgeon to discuss it, so I'm back in it as you say and would just like to "pull over" and let this thing go by. But, we have to meet head on and gear up again.

Anyway, I've "hit the wall" many times as you described and I think it's more than ok, to be Mad, Sad, and Glad. Maybe you are down for a day or 2 and then back up and at 'em. This is normal, we would not be human if we did not feel like this.

I wish I had things to break like Vicki does :}

It was nice meeting you and you seem like a good person.

All my best and best of luck to you - keep us all posted. When I know something more, I'll relay as well.

-Craig
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mike49 said:

Post surgery blues
    Mike:

I am with you too! I don't want anymore chemo, but I recognize that after liver surgery, there is likely more to come. Your story has helped me one more step to accepting this as fact.

You make excellent comments about fighting then anger. I have dealt with this beast in a very similar manner. Best of luck and good luck with your surgery recovery.

Mike
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    menright said:

Post surgery blues
    Mike:

I am with you too! I don't want anymore chemo, but I recognize that after liver surgery, there is likely more to come. Your story has helped me one more step to accepting this as fact.

You make excellent comments about fighting then anger. I have dealt with this beast in a very similar manner. Best of luck and good luck with your surgery recovery.

Mike

Sorry you are going thru this; I am a liver resection person
    too and it does wipe you out for a while; my thoughts are
    with you and I'm hoping the chemo will zap it this time.

Huggs
    Barbara
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Mike
    Glad you are home and things are going as well as can be expected. Yes, please let yourself feel. Get mad, have a pity party, and then get back to fighting. I posted in the past that I break old plates when I start feeling like this...and guess what? It doesn't stop with NED. I still have major issues (translate poop problems) and I broke 3 plates yesterday. It was cathartic and it helps my fight to get all those bad feelings out.

Hang in there Buddy...we started this journey together and I am still here with you.

Vicki

Welcome Home Mike
    So glad that you are home from the hospital and you are dealing with the after effects of the operation. Sometimes it is difficult to get back into the routine of things even when you feel a little energy. I think it's very natural to try to be upbeat and then the flood gates just seem to let loose. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kim
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    Mike49 said:

Welcome home
    I've also had the right lobe liver resection so minus my gall bladder too. Surgeons removed 50% last fall. I found this surgery to take longer to recover from than the LAR. My diaphragm stayed sorer longer and I was more wasted. Doing fine now. Marvelous the liver regrows eh?
    Hang in there and be gentle with yourself.

all the best, Leslie
  • Mike49
    Options
    Thanks
    I am better today, strong but thinking of myself and not how others think of me. I appreciate all the kindness and support, now lets go kill some cancer cells!

Mike
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    lesvanb said:

Welcome home
    I've also had the right lobe liver resection so minus my gall bladder too. Surgeons removed 50% last fall. I found this surgery to take longer to recover from than the LAR. My diaphragm stayed sorer longer and I was more wasted. Doing fine now. Marvelous the liver regrows eh?
    Hang in there and be gentle with yourself.

all the best, Leslie

Mike49
    Just hold on buddy, no one said it was gonna be easy, looking at that pic tells me your gonna do just fine. Its fine to yell , scream, gripe, moan, and kick something, its normal for us anyway. We deserve to get angry and mad, then take it out on the disease, and show the ones we love just how much everyday that we do by not allowing this to get into our family time. Get it out and then get rid of it and move on with your good side of living your life, and simply kick its **** again.... hang in there buddy..... :)