Uterine cancer symptoms

Options

Comments

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I would be thrilled to have adenocarcinoma. I don't believe it's right to scare people or be pessimistic. The fact is that adenocarcinoma is often cured with surgery alone. From the MSK website: "Endometrioid adenocarcinoma is commonly detected early and has a high cure rate." So, to tell a person newly diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in an early stage that they probably have a very good prognosis is both kind and truthful. More than 90 of 100 women with stage 1 adenocarcinoma will survive 5 years; most will have been cured. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/womb-cancer/survival That is good news. And I must respectfully disagree that surgery alone is the same as 4 rounds of chemo, radiation, immunotherapy, death, etc. Apples and oranges. If we must have cancer, I pray that every woman on here can have a cancer that could be cured by surgery alone. But to lump those of us who have a 30% or (rather recently) a 0%, chance of survival in with those who have an over 90% chance is disrespectful. Please let's be supportive and not call people names. This is the first time I've been very hurt and discouraged by a cruel comment, when I was just trying to be upbeat, positive, and optimistic for someone who was clearly scared about their diagnosis.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Springerspanielmom,

I really think that you've misread me here. There is no contest between anyone as to who has the worse kind of cancer. It's all scary and awful to deal with, especially during the time when you are dealing with and facing a lot of unknowns.

The truth is that statistics are generalities and can't be reliably applied to individuals. We've lost so many here with adenocarcinoma and there are others who were caught early and still recurred after treatment. Having it carries no guarantees and no one is luckier to have it. We have members here with the rare, aggressive uterine cancers who are still with us or have left to go on with their lives, so we all have reason to fight the beast and hang onto hope because there are so many variables that influence how these cancers go. Giving statistics so much weight in our own outlook only serves to stress oneself needlessly when their main purpose is to guide research and treatment protocols rather than predict individual outcomes.

I think it serves no one to deny the obvious: that any cancer can be lethal. That said, in this day and age, many are no longer the automatic death sentence that they once were, either. Acknowledging the seriousness of any cancer diagnosis is not trying to scare anyone or be pessimistic; it's affirming and validating that a person has a legitimate reason to have the feelings and fears that we all experience when we get this news. I'm sorry that you took me wrong; please note that I did say that she could feel some relief with the grade 1-2 results when I explained grading. I hope this helps you to better understand my earlier post. It's just a plea for people to not put other's diagnoses and experiences as better or worse than anybody else's. None of this is easy for anybody.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

It used to be very upsetting to me to have my endometrial adenocarcinoma, along with LVSI and 83% myometrial invasion, referred to as garden variety---I was NOT enjoying the bouquet, ha ha!

I've calmed down a lot, though. I do realize that while I'm a high intermediate recurrence risk, and it could be local or distant, which is terrifying if I dwell on it, I'm in a better "place" emotionally.

That's a good thing, because I'm much more pleasant, both here and at home!

Wheeee!

Quiltergal - keep us posted.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    • Endometrioid Cancer of Uterine Corpus

What is Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium? (Definition/Background Information)

• Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium is the most common subtype of endometrial cancer, which begins in the lining of the uterus (the endometrium). The majority of these cancer cases are detected and diagnosed in women aged 50 years and older (postmenopausal women)
    • Based on the grade and degree of aggressiveness, Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium is mostly categorized as a low-grade tumor (FIGO 1 or 2) that is typically less aggressive in nature. In many cases, these tumors are diagnosed during the early stages
    • A variety of factors are known to influence the development of Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium including poorly-controlled diabetes, positive family history of endometrial cancer or Lynch syndrome, and polycystic ovarian syndrome. The exact cause of the cancer is unknown, but it may be due to certain genetic abnormalities
    • The majority of Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium cases are detected and diagnosed at an early stage due to frequent abnormal vaginal bleeding, which is a major indicative sign. Additional signs and symptoms may include pelvic pain, pain during sex, and urination difficulties
    • If Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium is diagnosed early, then a surgical removal of the uterus (where possible) usually eliminates the cancer. In general, Endometrioid Carcinoma of Endometrium has a better prognosis when compared to other more uncommon subtypes
    • Endometrioid Cancer of Uterine Corpus

https://www.dovemed.com/diseases-conditions/endometrioid-carcinoma-endometrium/

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    edited April 2022 #26
    Options

Step right up, come for the semantics, stay for the cancer advice. We insiders toss around lots of words, acronyms that no outsider can understand, and imprecise language can get us all into trouble, creating misunderstandings. I associate "garden variety" with common. Endometrioid is the most COMMON of the uterine cancers and at the same time is the least deadly. People could assume by that statement any number of conclusions because I did not clarify it. Least doesn't mean NOT deadly, or that it should be taken unseriously. We are all guilty of using imprecise language because we are not writing our dissertations here on this board but we are still being graded by others when our words did not convey our meaning. It happens. None of us is perfect.

Definition of garden-variety

ORDINARYCOMMONPLACE

Synonyms & Antonyms for garden-variety

Synonyms

averagecommoncommonplacecut-and-dried (also cut-and-dry), everydaynormalordinaryprosaicroutinerun-of-the-millstandardstandard-issueunexceptionalunremarkableusualworkaday

It always better to be kind, to be generous, to ask for clarification before making assumptions.

xxoo

Denise

• BluebirdOne
    Options

Not enjoying the bouquet? 😂 You should really look into writing as a career, dear girl. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I write professionally. Come on, you knew that??!

Well, now ya do!

• BluebirdOne
    Options

Of course I do, I guess we need a snark button. I thought the emojis would suffice. 😂

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Sweet Friends,

This back & forth is bringing a bit of a smile! I smile at the interaction between old friends! It’s us…being us.

And as a “garden variety” girl, I’m not enjoying the “bouquet” either!💐 Deb and Denise’s senses of humor and poking a little fun makes me smile, also. Yeah…no…we’re not writing dissertations! 😂Before my diagnosis, I kind of thought I might live into my 90’s…I might be crazy as all get out (family history)…but I’d still be here! So…thinking in terms like “five year survival” would mean that I’m about 25 years shy of my expectation! 🤷‍♀️

Just my two cents…but I’m not a fan of dragging up ancient threads! It’s a double-edged sword…sweet memories of them mixed with sadness of their loss. This thread was originally active in the summer of 2009…last post August 2009. Linda Procopio (second to last post) passed away in 2011. She was a WONDERFUL member here, and from what I know was The Reason that a separate Uterine Board exists today! She would be very happy to know that her work to get our own board and her many posts has changed the lives of so many…and for over 13 years!!

But…seeing the names of those we have lost pop up out of nowhere freaks me out a little! 🙀Their contributions to this board are still relevant, a LOT of valuable information is contained in those threads, and I’m glad their words will live here forever, but it’s a little hard to see!

How ya like my emoji’s, D? 😆

Love to all!

❤️❤️❤️, A

• BluebirdOne
    Options

Glad it brought a smile, we need all the smiles we can get here. 😁😁😁The old threads issue we are looking into as I feel bad when our newbies who are looking for support and advice and perhaps are not confident enough to create a new post, comment on these ancient threads and get lost in the shuffle. I probably did it myself when I was new. cmb has done a wonderful job with the Introduction and FAQ with hundreds of views, but a few are still falling through the cracks. The old threads are our history and community and are priceless resources to all but sometimes bring back sad memories of those who are no longer with us or who no longer post. I would urge all folks to go back and read Linda Procopio's threads as she was so important to who we are today and her spirit is still with us. Thanks, A.

Denise

• thatblondegirl
    Options

I agree with all of that, Denise!

When I was first here and reading endlessly, including very old threads, I learned all about the beautiful, and gone too soon, Linda. It was very emotional for me to read her story, follow her ups and downs from her oldest posts to those near the end, and finally her loss.

All the ladies we have lost are still with us.

Quiltergal, We’re here for you! Ask anything you like and let us know how you’re doing! And I do suggest that when you feel comfortable, you start a new thread and introduce yourself to everyone!

❤️, A

• Quiltergal
    Quiltergal Member Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I am going Monday 4/11 to see the new doc. A gyn/ oncologist. I am very anxious to get this out of me. I hope the surgery is soon.

• thatblondegirl
    Options

Quiltergal,

I will be thinking of you Monday & hoping they can schedule you soon!

If you’ve read much on these threads…I’m sure you have!…or clicked on our screen names to read our stories….You’ve read about me complaining about the lack of urgency and me fighting like a dog for treatment…like, the entire way to my first chemo! It took me a while to figure out that I wasn’t a priority because: 1) I was “only” Stage II (ONLY, right???), and 2) adenocarcinoma is known to be less aggressive, so they weren’t worried about it getting too bad, too quickly! These are my assumptions, and certainly not anything that was explained to me!

So…fight for urgency, but don’t be surprised if you’re ignored! They DO care, but they are very busy…like, lots of patients, unfortunately…and the Stage III & IV are likely in way worse shape than you are.

❤️, Alicia

• BluebirdOne
    Options

Good luck tomorrow, we are thinking of you. Let us know how your conversation went with the GO if you have time. ❤️

xxoo

Denise

• Quiltergal
    Options

Thank you. I am looking forward to answers and where I go from here. Ready to fight this disease and beat it! Lots of prayers from my church and our pastor. I have a great and supportive husband.

• Quiltergal
    Options

Saw the surgeon. I will have surgery on the 26th of this month.. Really liked the surgeon. Explained everything. Set me at ease.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    Options

With my cancer (GCS), always Grade 3, plenty of Stage 1s don't make it. Even for Stage 1 adenocarcinomas, 5/100 won't make it (higher grades?), so these gos need to have more urgency. They do throw everything at Stage 3s & 4s; on our 1100 member GCS Facebook page, there's a spreadsheet that shows at least for our cancer, recurrence is about twice as high for 1s as for 3s. Makes you wonder...not trying to be pessimistic, just reminding everyone to advocate for yourself.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Glad to hear that you won't have long to wait for your surgery.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

For carcinosarcoma, there has been an evolution in the NCCN treatment protocols for stage 1A over the years.

In 2010, observation "only" was a valid option for treatment after surgery.

In 2018, the guideline showed a caveat when choosing observation "only:"

z Observation only for select patients with no residual serous or clear cell carcinoma in the hysterectomy specimen.

In the 2021 guideline, the observation "only" option has been removed.

From the responses on the spreadsheet you mentioned, it appears that not everyone in that group benefited from the updated protocols as these evolved over time.  Very unfortunate.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    Options

Thanks much, cmb. That's very informative. I hope BT and by the book chemo are enough for me! Biopsy tomorrow for possible breast cancer, almost certainly unrelated. Husband has angiogram/angioplasty Wed. Not sure how much more I can do here. A bit too much at this point.