Options
2»

Comments

• Kayla1
    Kayla1 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    ladybug22 said:

up date
    please hang in there you will come out on the other side and the herceptin was a cake walk for me with no side affects the port is great you will have up and downs so one day at a time love and hugs comming your way

Kat,
    I am so sorry for your

Kat,
    I am so sorry for your news! Thinking positive gets us thru one day at a time, it keeps us healthy, it helps us get up out of bed every day. Don't be so hard on yourself for falling apart when things don't go as expected. As everyone here has said they get some side effects but not all, some breeze thru, and some do not. If you can, just think all of what you will be going thru is going to make you well again!!!
    Hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!
    K
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I thank you all for making
    I thank you all for making me feel better. I did have a hard time yesterday. I really did not expect to,but who new. I will take it one day at a time. They sure don't give you much time off. I did manage however to work this chemo around a family vacation in July, over the 4th. My whole family and some friends are going to a beautiful place in wisconsin. Big lake, lot of fishing for hubby and grandkids. I was not going to miss this, and my doctor (onc) did not want me to. Thats why the port is going in Monday so I can heal a bit and it can be checked before I go. Its amazing to me that I feel like I have known you all for ever. I am so grateful for that.
    Friendship and Hugs
    Kathy

Kathy
    I am so glad you are feeling better and have the Wisconsin trip ahead. Being at the lake with your family sounds wonderful: what is more healing than being surrounded by nature and the people you love?

I remember my meeting with the onc. and the tour of the chemo center and roll call of side effects. Actually, I almost passed out at one point; a friend who was with us noticed and helped me to lie down. I just heard a roaring in my head and couldn't hear anything else. So: don't feel bad about being nervous or crying. That's much braver than nearly losing consciousness.

The port procedure does not take long. I had thought I'd feel well enough to shop with my sister afterwards. No dice, there, but we did go out for a light dinner in the evening. There is muscular soreness but not a great deal. You can research ports in past threads if you like, or just ask us any questions you have.

Joe and I will be thinking of you tomorrow. And, as everyone here has told you, you will have companions through this chemo journey.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Kayla1 said:

Kat,
    I am so sorry for your

Kat,
    I am so sorry for your news! Thinking positive gets us thru one day at a time, it keeps us healthy, it helps us get up out of bed every day. Don't be so hard on yourself for falling apart when things don't go as expected. As everyone here has said they get some side effects but not all, some breeze thru, and some do not. If you can, just think all of what you will be going thru is going to make you well again!!!
    Hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!
    K

Kat
    Kat, I am so glad that you can still take your family vacation in July. Family is everything!

And good luck tomorrow Kat. You will do fine.

I know this journey has put some new rocks in your path, but, just take it one step at a time. Hugs Kat! Jeanne
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Kat
    Kat, I am so glad that you can still take your family vacation in July. Family is everything!

And good luck tomorrow Kat. You will do fine.

I know this journey has put some new rocks in your path, but, just take it one step at a time. Hugs Kat! Jeanne

Kat
    Just to let you know we are all together and with you. I sobbed uncontrollably all through my first Onco appt.
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I thank you all for making
    I thank you all for making me feel better. I did have a hard time yesterday. I really did not expect to,but who new. I will take it one day at a time. They sure don't give you much time off. I did manage however to work this chemo around a family vacation in July, over the 4th. My whole family and some friends are going to a beautiful place in wisconsin. Big lake, lot of fishing for hubby and grandkids. I was not going to miss this, and my doctor (onc) did not want me to. Thats why the port is going in Monday so I can heal a bit and it can be checked before I go. Its amazing to me that I feel like I have known you all for ever. I am so grateful for that.
    Friendship and Hugs
    Kathy

Glad you are feeling better
    Glad you are feeling better Kathy. When do you start chemo?
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Kat
    Just to let you know we are all together and with you. I sobbed uncontrollably all through my first Onco appt.
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Kat
    You will make it through this, like the posts said. The doctors tell you all the side effects and that doesn't mean you will get them all. My nails were fine, my hair fell out but not my eyelashes or eyebrows. Take someone with you. My chemo room was in my oncologist's office and had a nice comfortable chair for my guest. My chair was a huge comfortable heated recliner which was good during the winter. She (the doctor) had a tv and a stack of movies, which I went through. The chemo was about 2 hours, just enough time to watch a movie. Sometimes I slept. They also had this very very sour lemon candy, which just about hit the spot. I couldn't get enough of them. I tried one the other day and it was soooo sour it was horrible, so your tastebuds change. The rads aren't too bad, they don't hurt. The worst part is having to go every day for 6 weeks. After the first 2 weeks you will find yourself counting how many are left. I am still peeling the dead skin from the direct hits. You will also make friends in the waiting room - they are all there for the same reason and love to talk about their experiences. I know I sure did. Good luck and be strong - you can and will get through this. Know my prayers are with you!
    Pat