Terrified

Options
2»

Comments

• Kathy09
    Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    port and chemo
    Don't worry about the port, it will make your chemo life easier. I had it in a week and then they did chemo, I was still a bit tender up there and yes scared, but it wasn't as bad as I thougt.They say way much better and less stress on veins. If needed I would have a port put in again. I think the surgery was about an hour or so if that. you'll do fine.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kathy09 said:

port and chemo
    Don't worry about the port, it will make your chemo life easier. I had it in a week and then they did chemo, I was still a bit tender up there and yes scared, but it wasn't as bad as I thougt.They say way much better and less stress on veins. If needed I would have a port put in again. I think the surgery was about an hour or so if that. you'll do fine.

Treatments
    I didn't have a port, I had a pic, damned thing was always getting blocked and you can't even shower with it in place.
    As for the Chemo... I was absolutely petrified, I really only made up my mind to go through with it on the morning of the first treatment.

I'm now glad that I did everything to fight this nasty beast!

Ignore all the horror stories you may read on the net. In here you have people who really have been through it AND come out the other side! My Chemo nurses were just so lovely I actually looked forward to seeing them. They'd start the treatment, then another patient would come in (Yeah Alright, Maybe for a totally different treatment)...They would finish his treatment before mine and I'd ask......"Can I go home now?... Cummon you are letting Him go home, what about me?"....

The nurse (Julie) used to shout at me........"JULIA! You just sit there and behave yourself!"

We made quite a game of it. Hope you get on as well as I did. It was actually a positive experience. Yep, I'm warped.

Hugs to you Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Aortus said:

Port = port-a-cath
    A port-a-cath or "port" is a device implanted (usually) in the chest wall. It has a bumpy little gizmo called a "septum" which pokes up beneath your skin. This is where they stick you with the needles. The septum conducts the infusion through a catheter into your vena cava, which is the biggest vein available.

The advantage of the port is that it is (unlike veins in your arm, for instance) designed to be stuck and to distribute infusions effectively. It has its annoyances too: Moopy has had to see a doctor at least three times because of annoying crap related to her port. That's not even counting the collapsed lung she got having it installed, which put her in an out-of-town hospital for a weekend. But she has ALWAYS been glad she got one.

So don't be scared, Pammy. You would have to read a lot of comments on a lot of bulletin boards before you found more than a handful of people regretting their ports. It's a good thing!

well explained!
    Thanks, Aortus, for the great explanation. It still sounds scary to me but now it is a manageable scary (if that is even a term!) It does sound like the way to go though. Do they knock you out to put it in? :) Pammy
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Treatments
    I didn't have a port, I had a pic, damned thing was always getting blocked and you can't even shower with it in place.
    As for the Chemo... I was absolutely petrified, I really only made up my mind to go through with it on the morning of the first treatment.

I'm now glad that I did everything to fight this nasty beast!

Ignore all the horror stories you may read on the net. In here you have people who really have been through it AND come out the other side! My Chemo nurses were just so lovely I actually looked forward to seeing them. They'd start the treatment, then another patient would come in (Yeah Alright, Maybe for a totally different treatment)...They would finish his treatment before mine and I'd ask......"Can I go home now?... Cummon you are letting Him go home, what about me?"....

The nurse (Julie) used to shout at me........"JULIA! You just sit there and behave yourself!"

We made quite a game of it. Hope you get on as well as I did. It was actually a positive experience. Yep, I'm warped.

Hugs to you Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha
    I had no problems with the picc. Robert would have to push stuff through it every day, and the nurse would come by once a week to change all the nobby things on it (very technical talk here), and he (the nurse) was the one who always yelled at me to stop driving my car with the top down and nothing on my head. He started kissing the top of my head (nothing sexual about it) because he kept thinking I would burn it. But the picc worked perfectly throughout and then when they pulled it out at the end.....wow, did that feel weird!
    Showering was no problem, I just taped a baggie over it (also very high tech!)
    Had to wait for the picc to be done before the would take out my useless port though, and it did grow into my muscle so the doc had a bit of trouble getting it out.
    All in a day right?
    =^..^=
  • michellenevels
    michellenevels Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

The First One is the Scary One
    Welcome Texastwister, though I am sorry for your diagnosis. The first chemo is the frightening one because it is an unknown. It does help to have someone with you if possible.

Also, bring reading materials or relaxing CD. Most treatment centers have TVs, books, and magazines, as well as snacks and drinks. Some people sleep through the entire chemo. I tended to get sleepy toward the end.

There really is no pain, unless you have a twinge when the IV is set up through your port. There is cream that can be used beforehand if you want. It is called Emla cream, and you can read a lot about it here. Just enter "Emla" in the Search field--or just ask.

As far as side effects, there are meds for most all of them, especially nausea. Do take the meds as prescribed by your oncologist, and report any problems promptly. There is always something that can be done: e.g., Immodium for diarrhea, if you get it.

Today's chemo is so much more manageable than treatments of the past. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always come here. Someone, or many, will have experience and can share valuable information and give you advice and support. You will not be alone.

I hope t his well help you some. It is natural to be scared--I bet your kids would be, if they were the ones with chemo scheduled next week! We all were scared. But we made it through. And so will you.

first chemo
    thank you so much Moopy23, your info was great, i am very apprehensive about my first chemo this monday, june 22nd, i am having what they call TAC treatment. Thanks again. This network is so informative,makes things a bit less scary with others who are going through the same thing.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

first chemo
    thank you so much Moopy23, your info was great, i am very apprehensive about my first chemo this monday, june 22nd, i am having what they call TAC treatment. Thanks again. This network is so informative,makes things a bit less scary with others who are going through the same thing.

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck on your first chemo Michelle! We will all be thinking of

you! Let us know how you do! This is a great support group, as you can tell. Good luck!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    TrishyG said:

The first chemo is the
    The first chemo is the hardest. I had stage IIb breast cancer and participated in a clinical study. I am glad you are getting a port. It made chemo a lot easier. It is so so normal to be scared. I was terrified. It turned out that the chemo sessions were not as bad as I thought. I actulally ended up going to most of them by myself. It kind of became my quiet time. I always took a good book with me and magazines. I also met wonderful people during my sessions. One of the things that helped me tremendously was having a chemo countdown. I had each chemo session on the calendar and crossed off each one with great excitement.

Just want to say welcome
    Just want to say welcome Trishy! You had a good idea for chemo, with the countdown. You

will be a huge help to several on here that are starting chemo.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Tasha
    I had no problems with the picc. Robert would have to push stuff through it every day, and the nurse would come by once a week to change all the nobby things on it (very technical talk here), and he (the nurse) was the one who always yelled at me to stop driving my car with the top down and nothing on my head. He started kissing the top of my head (nothing sexual about it) because he kept thinking I would burn it. But the picc worked perfectly throughout and then when they pulled it out at the end.....wow, did that feel weird!
    Showering was no problem, I just taped a baggie over it (also very high tech!)
    Had to wait for the picc to be done before the would take out my useless port though, and it did grow into my muscle so the doc had a bit of trouble getting it out.
    All in a day right?
    =^..^=

Whats a pic ? and whats the
    Whats a pic ? and whats the difference between the pic & a Port.
  • maddy1
    maddy1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm meeting with the medical
    I'm meeting with the medical oncologist on Monday to discuss my chemo options. The whole process is scary. It's okay to be scared and it's also okay to want to live. Stay strong-
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    maddy1 said:

I'm meeting with the medical
    I'm meeting with the medical oncologist on Monday to discuss my chemo options. The whole process is scary. It's okay to be scared and it's also okay to want to live. Stay strong-

Maddy, chemo is scary, so,
    Maddy, chemo is scary, so, there is nothing wrong with being afraid. Please keep us updated and good luck at your doctor's.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Whats a pic ? and whats the
    Whats a pic ? and whats the difference between the pic & a Port.

picc and port
    Kat,
    port is exactly what Joe described earlier, it goes under the skin on your chest wall and the line goes to the entrance to your heart. Since mine didn't work, and the nurse leaked the bad mamma jamma (adriamyacin) into my veins (I still have what looks like a bruise where it seeped out), the onc said she wouldn't give me anymore treatments without a direct inside vein. So the picc goes in your arm right above the elbow, and then it also runs up your arm, shoulder and into the vein to your heart. It has all it's paraphenelia on the outside of the arm so they have to change the dressing and connectors each week and my husband had to inject heparin and saline every day to keep them from plugging. I have a picture somewhere, I will post it in expressions when I find it.
    =^..^=
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Maddy, chemo is scary, so,
    Maddy, chemo is scary, so, there is nothing wrong with being afraid. Please keep us updated and good luck at your doctor's.

wishing you good luck maddy!

wishing you good luck maddy!
  • cwestbro
    cwestbro Member Posts: 15
    Options
    chemo is scary
    Chemo is scary and it's so normal to feel that way! you will have to find your own what to handle it, I chose to celebrate and look at it as my life savor! My husband and I took lots of time in creating our "chemo bags" . We packed all sorts of stuff to pass the time and take our mind to happier places. I will always remember my chemo experience in the most positive way. The nurses are the absolutely the very best, most caring and most enjoyable to be around. I invited my mom, her friends and my friends. On my last treatment, little did I know, but my principal arranged for each our our 20+ teachers to drop by, each one bringing me a pink rose to celebrate my completion. You must look at this as a good thing, get lots and lots of rest, eat healthy and listen to your body!!! Let your family and friends help, and know it's ok to be scared! I still cry when I think what I've been through, and now they are happy tears cause I'm a survivor. Here's to wishing you well and sending prayers your way!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Just want to say hi and to
    Just want to say hi and to wish you good luck. I am new here too, but, everyone seems so helpful and give you lots of support and information!
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Just want to say hi and to
    Just want to say hi and to wish you good luck. I am new here too, but, everyone seems so helpful and give you lots of support and information!

Hope all goes well with
    Hope all goes well with chemo tomorrow. Make sure to report side effects to the doc or nurse. THere are so many things they can do for you.
    Let us know how you make out. I am also new here this month and have found a lot of answers and support here.
    Kim
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Hope all goes well with
    Hope all goes well with chemo tomorrow. Make sure to report side effects to the doc or nurse. THere are so many things they can do for you.
    Let us know how you make out. I am also new here this month and have found a lot of answers and support here.
    Kim

Good luck with radiation
    Good luck with radiation tomorrow Kim!