More about cancer and nutirition

Options

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Great Information
    Thank You Mimi for the information on good nutirition. That is so important. I was told yesterday that I could only eat salad that is organicly grown. Only eat fruits and veggies that you can peel... I love berries!! Kind of hard to peel!! LOL
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    TrishyG said:

cancer fighting foods
    Thanks for the info Mimi. There's a really good book by Dr. David Servan Schreiber called Anti-Cancer A New Way of Life. He is the clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh and also the cofounder of the Center for Integrative Medicine. The Center gives a rational and scientific view of natural therapies and their effectivenes combined with standard medical treatments. There are tons of good suggestions for people with cancer and a lot of websites are in the book. The book is one of the most rational approaches I have found to intergrating natural and medical treatments. I had alot of crunchy granola friends who were totally opposed to chemo, radation, etc. I just brushed it off. If vitamins alone cured cancer I think that we would all happily swallow 200 bottles a day.

Anti-Cancer
    Trishy, this is one of my favorite cancer books. Very inspirational and informative. I highly recommend it, too. Thanks for the reminder.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    Options
    rjjj said:

Thanks Mimi
    I am going to get some flaxseed. I can't believe your rads are about done already! Charge up your flashlight battery so you can lead me out of the tunnel again soon!! BTW is your hair growing back pretty good? mine is cololess so far and sticking staight up like a porkepine and fuzzy too! EEKS! hugs, jackie

Flashlight ready!
    Although you are an old pro now and don't need my flashlight. My hair is in the same state, Jackie. Fuzzy like a baby chicken. Mine looks black overall, but my husband says he sees gray in there. Damn!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Great Information
    Thank You Mimi for the information on good nutirition. That is so important. I was told yesterday that I could only eat salad that is organicly grown. Only eat fruits and veggies that you can peel... I love berries!! Kind of hard to peel!! LOL

Thanks Mimi for this
    Thanks Mimi for this information. Glad to hear your rads are going well for you. You are almost done!
  • mimivac
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Great Information

chemo and nutrition
    Chickad, I'm assuming that this restriction is because you are going through chemo? That is wise, although I broke those rules regularly during treatment. I ate organic, but had tons of berries and other non-peelable fruit. But you should stick to the good advice given by your doctor, though. Good luck!

Mimi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    mimivac said:

chemo and nutrition
    Chickad, I'm assuming that this restriction is because you are going through chemo? That is wise, although I broke those rules regularly during treatment. I ate organic, but had tons of berries and other non-peelable fruit. But you should stick to the good advice given by your doctor, though. Good luck!

Mimi

Have you read about linseed
    Have you read about linseed oil? It is suppose to be fantastic too in the fight against cancer.
  • mimivac
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Have you read about linseed
    Have you read about linseed oil? It is suppose to be fantastic too in the fight against cancer.

Linseed oil
    I have heard of this. Are there food sources or is it taken as a supplement?
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Popcorn....yum
    Orville Redenbachers Buttered Salt & Pepper Popcorn is my favorite!! :) Pammy

Ok Pammy
    Which one are you in the pic?
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    rjjj said:

Ok Pammy

which one?
    I am the blond on the right!! And before anyone starts with the blond jokes....trust me, it's all fake!! My true color is like my daughters (the one in the middle with her husband) and of course my dear hubby is on the left....:) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

which one?
    I am the blond on the right!! And before anyone starts with the blond jokes....trust me, it's all fake!! My true color is like my daughters (the one in the middle with her husband) and of course my dear hubby is on the left....:) Pammy

Ok I am confused. Great pic
    Ok I am confused. Great pic there, but, didn't the other pic of you show gray hair, or, are my eyes deceiving me. Old pic new pic? lol I can't seem to get a grip on it today for some reason. lol
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Thanks Mimi....
    I am starting to stock up on the things I know will be best nutritionally for me. I have found that the healthier foods are way more expensive (tough to do on a budget). I would love to have a list rather than trying to piece it all together....it's hard to do. So thanks for sharing your hard work with us. If anyone runs across a list for er/pr + types I would love to have it. So far I found hormone free string cheese and thats about it. :) Pammy

Hormone free string cheese?
    Hormone free string cheese? Seriously? You found that Pammy? I love

string cheese! Especially with an ice cold beer! OH YEA! Frosty mug anyone? lol
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Ok I am confused. Great pic
    Ok I am confused. Great pic there, but, didn't the other pic of you show gray hair, or, are my eyes deceiving me. Old pic new pic? lol I can't seem to get a grip on it today for some reason. lol

Ha, ha, ha.....
    I think it was the lighting in the pic....but that was also blond hair!!!
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Hormone free string cheese?
    Hormone free string cheese? Seriously? You found that Pammy? I love

string cheese! Especially with an ice cold beer! OH YEA! Frosty mug anyone? lol

I'm there!!
    I'll take a frosted mug!! And yes, the string cheese is by Kraft. It says "no added growth hormones". Comes in a bag that has 12 individual snacks inside. Look for it in your grocery "dairy" case. (I sound like a comercial, don't I?). :) Pammy
  • mimivac
    Options
    rjjj said:

Ok Pammy

pic.
    Jackie, the picture of Pammy on my computer is her next to a large tree. I think I know which one she is. LOL.
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    mimivac said:

pic.
    Jackie, the picture of Pammy on my computer is her next to a large tree. I think I know which one she is. LOL.

Mimi, you may need to reboot your computer.....I changed my pic again!! :) Pammy
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

pic.

Pammy's pic on my computer
    Pammy's pic on my computer is by a tree too. She is the only one there. lol
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Isn't linseed oil, flaxseed,
    Isn't linseed oil, flaxseed, sort of? I was given the book How To Fight Cancer & Win by William L. Fischer and it is about linseed oil. How it really helps. From what I read, you put it on or in cottage cheese mostly.
  • mimivac
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Isn't linseed oil, flaxseed,
    Isn't linseed oil, flaxseed, sort of? I was given the book How To Fight Cancer & Win by William L. Fischer and it is about linseed oil. How it really helps. From what I read, you put it on or in cottage cheese mostly.

Right
    Yes, Alexis, I think you're right. I had forgotten that linseed oil is flaxseed...
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Right
    Yes, Alexis, I think you're right. I had forgotten that linseed oil is flaxseed...

So, are we suppose to put
    So, are we suppose to put this flaxseed or linseed on other foods? Can you buy it in any grocery store or just health food stores? Is it really worth trying? I am trying more fruits and veggies. Just want to do what is good for me, if I can, even though my husband is screaming for double cheeseburgers and fries! lol
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Noel said:

So, are we suppose to put
    So, are we suppose to put this flaxseed or linseed on other foods? Can you buy it in any grocery store or just health food stores? Is it really worth trying? I am trying more fruits and veggies. Just want to do what is good for me, if I can, even though my husband is screaming for double cheeseburgers and fries! lol

Hi Everyone
    You can put flaxseed oil on any food. Some things I've done is make salad dressings with it, put a tbsp or so on soup or stews, put in yogurt, smoothies or even hot cereals. It has a unique taste but I really like it. Flaxseed oil should never be used for cooking as there are heat restrictions on it if you want to keep it from being damaged. The best is cold-pressed, organic and found in the refrigerator section of your health food store or grocery.

Joanna Budwig, a scientist, who either won or was nominated for the Nobel prize was a huge advocate of flax oil esp for breast cancer. She claims the oil is best taken with cottage cheese. It's called the Budwig Diet and can be found if you google it. The reason for the cottage cheese has something to do with the type of fat.

Ground flax is great added to pancakes or banana bread in place of some of the flour.

hugs
    jan