It's not suppose to happen to me; I work for the American Cancer Society!!

Options

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a puzzle....
    This beast can, as you know, affect anyone, from any walk of life. The GOOD news, is that you know that it IS BEATABLE!!!! And if you get shaky, we here have your back!!!

I got rectal cancer, followed by breast cancer 6 months later...totally unrelated....talk about 'Why me?'! I am about to celebrate (end of June) 3 years since last treatment, cancer free....5 years in November since dx of the rectal. Yea!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • klayfield
    klayfield Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Fear
    Well, I can only tell you about my experience. In 1995 I had a right modified radical mastectomy with an immediate tram flap reconstruction, followed a year later by an elective Left simple mastectomy followed by immediate latisimus dorsi plug reconstruction. In between that time I spent 6 months of my life doing chemo. I lost my hair, alot of weight, was sick for the first 4 treatments until they figured out the right combination to treat the side effects of the chemo. I was 45 yrs old back then, I have had 13 years of welcoming grandkids into the family, watching my children fall in love, marry, pursue their life's dreams, in short, for an investment of 6 months, I bought more life than I ever thought I would have. It's an investment in your future, and memories, and life....for 6 months... I could stand on my head for 6 months if I could have a return on my investment like that....go for it girl, it's just a short period out of a long, long life..your hair will grow back..it's just hair....you will be sick, but it's not forever.....my cancer has returned, but in the 13 years I spent disease free, research has developed new treatments that will prolong my life, with quality, I'm not thrilled, but I am OK with it...
  • klayfield
    klayfield Member Posts: 9
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I have not ........
    I have not experienced lymphedema, although some here have. I know that it is always a possibility, and I try to be careful. But you have to live your life too. So, if it ever happens, then I guess it will be just one more thing to deal with.

I HAVE lost my hair....every hair I owned. But the good news there, is that it's only a temporary loss. Mine has just come in enough that I recently started going "scarfless".
    Of course, I will be happy when it gets to be a couple of inches longer, but at least my head doesn't "shine" now...lol!

CR

Fear
    This post was meant for you....
    Well, I can only tell you about my experience. In 1995 I had a right modified radical mastectomy with an immediate tram flap reconstruction, followed a year later by an elective Left simple mastectomy followed by immediate latisimus dorsi plug reconstruction. In between that time I spent 6 months of my life doing chemo. I lost my hair, alot of weight, was sick for the first 4 treatments until they figured out the right combination to treat the side effects of the chemo. I was 45 yrs old back then, I have had 13 years of welcoming grandkids into the family, watching my children fall in love, marry, pursue their life's dreams, in short, for an investment of 6 months, I bought more life than I ever thought I would have. It's an investment in your future, and memories, and life....for 6 months... I could stand on my head for 6 months if I could have a return on my investment like that....go for it girl, it's just a short period out of a long, long life..your hair will grow back..it's just hair....you will be sick, but it's not forever.....my cancer has returned, but in the 13 years I spent disease free, research has developed new treatments that will prolong my life, with quality, I'm not thrilled, but I am OK with it...
  • austingrl
    austingrl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Robin
    I am glad you found this site...these women are phenominal supporters, and will be here for you. Last week, I was facing a biopsy, and was terrified that I would hear the same words you did, and they were here for me. I remember having similar thoughts as yours,as I waited for the results, wondering to myself what good it did to exercise and eat (mostly) decent food. It turned out not to be cancer for me, but I'll never consider myself off-the-hook. I realize that any year could be the one.

As to how you could get cancer working for ACS: When you think about it, how do non-smokers get lung cancer? Or why do children get any cancer? I once had a childhood doctor who got brain cancer. I could not--back then, anyway--understand how a doctor could get so sick. What I understand now, is that it just takes one lousy cell, doing what it shouldn't. You did nothing to deserve it, and you did what you could to prevent it. I don't want to sound morbid or preachy--it's just that cancer does not discriminate, and it is never fair. Put simply--it sucks, as another person recently said here.

I would encourage you to call ACS's 1-800-227-2345, if you haven't already. They're staffed 24/7, and can answer questions, send you information, and have various services that might benefit you.

Again, I hope I didn't come off as preachy or insensitive, and certainly hope I didn't offend you. If I did, please forgive me, as it wasn't my intention. I truly wish you the best with your treatment. Please keep coming back here; these people know the ins and outs of breast cancer and its treatment, and they can help you get through it.

I wish you the best- Anita
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    austingrl said:

Robin
    I am glad you found this site...these women are phenominal supporters, and will be here for you. Last week, I was facing a biopsy, and was terrified that I would hear the same words you did, and they were here for me. I remember having similar thoughts as yours,as I waited for the results, wondering to myself what good it did to exercise and eat (mostly) decent food. It turned out not to be cancer for me, but I'll never consider myself off-the-hook. I realize that any year could be the one.

As to how you could get cancer working for ACS: When you think about it, how do non-smokers get lung cancer? Or why do children get any cancer? I once had a childhood doctor who got brain cancer. I could not--back then, anyway--understand how a doctor could get so sick. What I understand now, is that it just takes one lousy cell, doing what it shouldn't. You did nothing to deserve it, and you did what you could to prevent it. I don't want to sound morbid or preachy--it's just that cancer does not discriminate, and it is never fair. Put simply--it sucks, as another person recently said here.

I would encourage you to call ACS's 1-800-227-2345, if you haven't already. They're staffed 24/7, and can answer questions, send you information, and have various services that might benefit you.

Again, I hope I didn't come off as preachy or insensitive, and certainly hope I didn't offend you. If I did, please forgive me, as it wasn't my intention. I truly wish you the best with your treatment. Please keep coming back here; these people know the ins and outs of breast cancer and its treatment, and they can help you get through it.

I wish you the best- Anita

Hi Robin
    I had a dbl. mastectomy last month, but I also had reconstruction at the same time. So I can't tell you about part of your question. Actually, I think it's probably a bit easier healing from just the mastectomies, because they don't rip the chest muscles from the bone to insert the implants.

I definitely wore button down stuff for the first couple of weeks, except for the sports bras which I have to wear for 6 weeks (2 more to go) to hold the implants in place and keep the internal stitches from ripping.

The drains are no big deal...just kind of a temporary inconvenience.

I had hi-grade DCIS...there was a lot of it, but my nodes were clear and they got all the breast tissue, so no chemo or radiation is needed. I do meet with an oncologist this week to talk about other treatment, which I'm assuming is anti-estrogen drugs.

So.........take it one step at a time. Use this site for all your highs and lows, as you're doing now. This place has been a lifesaver for me. The women here are THE BEST. And trust your doctor -- if you don't, find another. You need to be able to ask all the questions you need to without feeling silly or stupid. Mine actually drew pictures and wrote out notes of everything she said as we went over the surgery and possible options, e.g. different scenarios dependnig on whether or not the sentinal lymph nodes showed any invasion. It was great.

Welcome, although I'm sorry you have to be here. And as for your "Why me?" question, did you know that the biggest cause of death among oncologists is cancer??? There simply is no why or wherefore. It just is, and you deal with it. But this is the place to do the dealing, confess your depressions, air your worries, and just whine, because everyone one here has been through the same stuff. There's no judgment here--only love, comfort, and understanding.

Glad you found us,
    Debi
  • robin1965
    robin1965 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    bfbear said:

Hi Robin
    I had a dbl. mastectomy last month, but I also had reconstruction at the same time. So I can't tell you about part of your question. Actually, I think it's probably a bit easier healing from just the mastectomies, because they don't rip the chest muscles from the bone to insert the implants.

I definitely wore button down stuff for the first couple of weeks, except for the sports bras which I have to wear for 6 weeks (2 more to go) to hold the implants in place and keep the internal stitches from ripping.

The drains are no big deal...just kind of a temporary inconvenience.

I had hi-grade DCIS...there was a lot of it, but my nodes were clear and they got all the breast tissue, so no chemo or radiation is needed. I do meet with an oncologist this week to talk about other treatment, which I'm assuming is anti-estrogen drugs.

So.........take it one step at a time. Use this site for all your highs and lows, as you're doing now. This place has been a lifesaver for me. The women here are THE BEST. And trust your doctor -- if you don't, find another. You need to be able to ask all the questions you need to without feeling silly or stupid. Mine actually drew pictures and wrote out notes of everything she said as we went over the surgery and possible options, e.g. different scenarios dependnig on whether or not the sentinal lymph nodes showed any invasion. It was great.

Welcome, although I'm sorry you have to be here. And as for your "Why me?" question, did you know that the biggest cause of death among oncologists is cancer??? There simply is no why or wherefore. It just is, and you deal with it. But this is the place to do the dealing, confess your depressions, air your worries, and just whine, because everyone one here has been through the same stuff. There's no judgment here--only love, comfort, and understanding.

Glad you found us,
    Debi

Fellow supporters!
    I would like to say, you ALL are so uplifting! I know this is exactly where I need to be! I will take on this disease one day at a time!
    Also, to set the record straight... NOTHING you say or suggest will offend me... It will only help me through my journey! :)

I am now realizing that I will need help carrying this physical and emotional load. However, I am blessed to have a great family support system (and now you guys). I have a 24 year old daughter (who's baby I am holding in my profile picture) who will be my main caretaker along with my husband. Although, I really worry about the physical load I will be putting my family through, I know deep dow and from personal experience they will do it with love.

It is going to be harder on my husband as he works and comutes to Philedelphia PA while, I work in Virginia where our home base is. He will be home with me for a few weeks, then he will take it one day at a time from then on. I just can not imagine my husband helping to change the dressings!

I know I am all over the place with my thoughts! What is with not being able to sleep! I have yet to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time!
  • robin1965
    robin1965 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    klayfield said:

Fear

More worry
    I am so sorry about your reoccurance! That is my biggest fear! Where did your cancer matastsize (i think i spelled that wrong) this time?
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    robin1965 said:

Fellow supporters!
    I would like to say, you ALL are so uplifting! I know this is exactly where I need to be! I will take on this disease one day at a time!
    Also, to set the record straight... NOTHING you say or suggest will offend me... It will only help me through my journey! :)

I am now realizing that I will need help carrying this physical and emotional load. However, I am blessed to have a great family support system (and now you guys). I have a 24 year old daughter (who's baby I am holding in my profile picture) who will be my main caretaker along with my husband. Although, I really worry about the physical load I will be putting my family through, I know deep dow and from personal experience they will do it with love.

It is going to be harder on my husband as he works and comutes to Philedelphia PA while, I work in Virginia where our home base is. He will be home with me for a few weeks, then he will take it one day at a time from then on. I just can not imagine my husband helping to change the dressings!

I know I am all over the place with my thoughts! What is with not being able to sleep! I have yet to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time!

Dressing Changing
    I had home health nurses come in 1x day to change the dressing. There really wasn't much sepage or oozing. After my drains were removed I got rid of home health and did it myself.
    The best day was when the surgeon said I could shower.
    Bill S.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    robin1965 said:

Fellow supporters!

Not sleeping....
    Robin, I'm with you on not being able to sleep. I am going on week 3 now of not being able to sleep. I think it is because our adrenalin gets so pumped up from all the thoughts that run through out heads. The only time I have gotten any amount of decent sleep has been after taking the xanax I was using to get through different test.
    I am actually looking forward to tomorrow when they knock me out for surgery! At least I know I will get SOME deep sleep that I'm sure is much needed!!
    Anyway, I am usually one of the night owls on here late, so if you should happen to log on you will probably find me. I think part of it is my mind not slowing down & part of it is I am sooooo far off my daily routine since I took a leave from work.
    Hope it gets better for both of us......:) Pammy
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Not sleeping....
    Robin, I'm with you on not being able to sleep. I am going on week 3 now of not being able to sleep. I think it is because our adrenalin gets so pumped up from all the thoughts that run through out heads. The only time I have gotten any amount of decent sleep has been after taking the xanax I was using to get through different test.
    I am actually looking forward to tomorrow when they knock me out for surgery! At least I know I will get SOME deep sleep that I'm sure is much needed!!
    Anyway, I am usually one of the night owls on here late, so if you should happen to log on you will probably find me. I think part of it is my mind not slowing down & part of it is I am sooooo far off my daily routine since I took a leave from work.
    Hope it gets better for both of us......:) Pammy

Hi Pammy.......
    I have only had a few good night's sleep since my surgery, last August. Dr. has put me on sleeping pills. Didn't work. I tried Tylenol PM. Nope!
    If I take Xanax now before going to bed, I can usually get 4-6 hours of sleep. And I'm thankful for every second of it!

I sure hope that you and Robin are able to get your rest.

CR
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Hi Pammy.......
    I have only had a few good night's sleep since my surgery, last August. Dr. has put me on sleeping pills. Didn't work. I tried Tylenol PM. Nope!
    If I take Xanax now before going to bed, I can usually get 4-6 hours of sleep. And I'm thankful for every second of it!

I sure hope that you and Robin are able to get your rest.

CR

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear
    Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about this. My cancer was just confirmed last evening when the doctor called me with the pathology results..."invasive lobular carcinoma". I still can't believe it and my legs are now like rubber. Next step for me will be appointment with the surgeon. They said my lymph nodes look clear, but are still not sure if the cancer spread. Will be probably having a PET scan as soon as possible. That's all I know for now until I see the surgeon so am in a kind of limbo and scared to death.

Hugs to you all here. You are all great? Is there anyone else here that has had this same type?
  • sunnygirl
    sunnygirl Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about this. My cancer was just confirmed last evening when the doctor called me with the pathology results..."invasive lobular carcinoma". I still can't believe it and my legs are now like rubber. Next step for me will be appointment with the surgeon. They said my lymph nodes look clear, but are still not sure if the cancer spread. Will be probably having a PET scan as soon as possible. That's all I know for now until I see the surgeon so am in a kind of limbo and scared to death.

Hugs to you all here. You are all great? Is there anyone else here that has had this same type?

Invasive lobular cancer
    Maryann--I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer in Dec 08. I'm so sorry you have joined this club--but you've come to a good place.

I had a negative mammo at the same time I found a lump in my right breast. Ultrasound by the surgeon didn't look good--had a lumpectomy which gave the diagnosis. It was mutifocal (more than one lump) so I had an MRI which confirmed there was cancer left in the breast. Apparently, lobular (in the lobes) tends to be sneakier than ductal (in the ducts).

Take a deep breath, get your support team lined up, take it one step at a time. Ask lots of questions, either record or write down answers so you can go over them later at home. Have another set of ears with you, you probably will miss some things.

You will get through this. Prayers and hugs to you. Cheryl
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I am sorry Maryann. I pray
    I am sorry Maryann. I pray that your lymph nodes will be clear!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    So sorry Robin. Sorry that
    So sorry Robin. Sorry that you are here as a result of having bc. Wishing you all the best!
  • jnl
    Options
    robin1965 said:

Fellow supporters!

Hope you are getting some
    Hope you are getting some sleep now Robin. Please post when you feel like it and let us know how you are doing! This is a difficult time for you and we understand! God bless!
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Welcome Robin
    welcome Robin..sorry to hear about your dx..but you have came to the right spot!
    everyone here is awesome..full of information, love, compassion and AWESOME support.

I think it is awesome what you do.

again, welcome and nice to meet you

Julie
  • neda
    neda Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I am sorry for what is
    I am sorry for what is happenin got you. I think each of us ask this question why me. I lost a sister from cancer then a brother at age 47 .His cancer came out of the blue and it took 9 mounths to take his life. I was the only one that trying to keep the rest of the family upbeat. However I liv in US and they don't, But I was the one who spent hours every day to talk to them. KNow I have it. and still trying to tell them that I am ok. Iunestly I am more concern for my brother ande my mother who how they are going to handle it! But you know God give all of us the Strength to deal with it. You will do it too!

I wish you a easy recovery,

Neda.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    neda said:

I am sorry for what is
    I am sorry for what is happenin got you. I think each of us ask this question why me. I lost a sister from cancer then a brother at age 47 .His cancer came out of the blue and it took 9 mounths to take his life. I was the only one that trying to keep the rest of the family upbeat. However I liv in US and they don't, But I was the one who spent hours every day to talk to them. KNow I have it. and still trying to tell them that I am ok. Iunestly I am more concern for my brother ande my mother who how they are going to handle it! But you know God give all of us the Strength to deal with it. You will do it too!

I wish you a easy recovery,

Neda.

Being diagnosed is so hard
    Being diagnosed is so hard and so emotional. And, I think, we all say "why me". But, you

just get the courage up to live so you fight bc with all that you have in you!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Robin
    Welcome, Robin. Well, you work for the ACS so you know about this support group and about cancer in general. That doesn't make it any easier does it? I'm sorry for what you are going through. Yes, it happened to you, but you have all the tools to fight this thing from day one. I know it's disheartening, but you are advantaged to be starting from a position of knowledge. You teach others and now you can use that expertise to help yourself through this. I don't need to tell you about the power of support groups such as this one. You will make it through this and use your experience to be an even stronger advocate for others. Thank you for the work that you do.

Mimi
  • jnl
    Options

So sorry Maryann! Keep us
    So sorry Maryann! Keep us posted please!