I was diagnosed with breast cancer

Options

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I got the call yesterday
    I got the call yesterday evening from the doctor. The preliminary pathology test came in as "invasive lobular carcinoma". They didn't have numbers yet but it has been confirmed. She said my next step to do would be to see the breast surgeon. I gave her about 3 names of the one's I wanted to see so she will be making arrangements today. Told her to get me in to the one I can go to soonest. She said a PET scan would probably be needed to see if it has spread. Is there anyone here who has this type? I was told this is only about 10% of cancers found. Not able to see on mammograms. I'm even more scared now (if that's possible). It's gonna be a long road.

Maryann.........
    I don't have that type of bc. I have IDC. So I really can't answer any questions about that.

I was referred to a breast surgeon when I was diagnosed. They couldn't get me in for over a month. And while they say that it won't cause any harm to wait that long, WHO WANTS TO WAIT!
    My daughter, who is in the health care profession, said...nope.! Not good enough!
    So she gave me the name of a different surgeon, and I am SO THANKFUL that she did! I was in to see her in a week and a half. I love and completely trust my surgeon. She is young and she is beautiful. And she pulls no punches!

While the first surgeon recommended to me is supposed to be very good, I would not/could not ask for anyone better than the one I have.

Most times, PET scans are ordered before surgery. I also had chest x-ray, bone scan, blood tests, MRI, CT scan, also ended up with biopsy of my other breast. I was so busy with appts. that I didn't have time to worry too much!

Hang in there. Once things get rolling, you will probably be very busy...........

Hugs,
    CR
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Angel and Maryann
    I am so sorry, I hope it helps to know that you will find much comfort and support here with us. I was in shock and just numb when I found out. It takes lots of time to really accept this. It is Ok to cry too. Just come here with questions or concerns or just to vent we will be here 24/7. you sister in pink, Jackie
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

I got the call yesterday
    I got the call yesterday evening from the doctor. The preliminary pathology test came in as "invasive lobular carcinoma". They didn't have numbers yet but it has been confirmed. She said my next step to do would be to see the breast surgeon. I gave her about 3 names of the one's I wanted to see so she will be making arrangements today. Told her to get me in to the one I can go to soonest. She said a PET scan would probably be needed to see if it has spread. Is there anyone here who has this type? I was told this is only about 10% of cancers found. Not able to see on mammograms. I'm even more scared now (if that's possible). It's gonna be a long road.

Warm welcome, Mary Ann...
    ... Though sincerely sorry for the reason you're here. Nevertheless - so glad you found us. We're all here to support and encourage each other. We can travel the journey only one step at a time, and always moving only forward. Too much information can be overwhelming, and add to an already very high level of stress and anxiety.

I did not have your specific type of BC, so cannot directly address it. However, everything will depend on your post-surgery final pathology results. I'm sending best wishes for that all-important first appointment with a surgeon. And, will be hoping for the best possible outcome for you.

Please keep us informed of your progress - we'll be here for you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

I am so happy I found this
    I am so happy I found this website. Thank you all for the advice on the internet. Exactly what my radiologist said.

Am supposed to get a call today or tomorrow to find out the report on pathology. I hope that goes fast. After July 1 I go on Medicare. I do have a supplemental insurance, but don't know how that will all work. Guess will worry about that later.

Love to you all.

Maryann

PS...I'd put my picture up here, but don't know how to do this.

So sorry that you are here,
    So sorry that you are here, but, this site is great!
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    rjjj said:

Angel and Maryann
    I am so sorry, I hope it helps to know that you will find much comfort and support here with us. I was in shock and just numb when I found out. It takes lots of time to really accept this. It is Ok to cry too. Just come here with questions or concerns or just to vent we will be here 24/7. you sister in pink, Jackie

Again, you people are
    Again, you people are awesome. I got a call this morning that I see the surgeon on Friday morning. My 2 daughters are going with me. I know there will be alot of tests to do yet to do, but the only way I can handle it is a step at a time. I actually found myself laughing at work 2 times today.

Love to you all,
    Maryann
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options

Again, you people are
    Again, you people are awesome. I got a call this morning that I see the surgeon on Friday morning. My 2 daughters are going with me. I know there will be alot of tests to do yet to do, but the only way I can handle it is a step at a time. I actually found myself laughing at work 2 times today.

Love to you all,
    Maryann

You can read too much
    Maryann,

My doctor actually told me to stop reading so much, especially what I found on the Internet, because there was so much information and often it was conflicting and even misleading, which only caused me more anxiety. It seemed that every waking moment was spent reading whatever I could get my hands onto, I was obsessed with understanding this disease.

I've tempered my reading since then, that was three years ago, and now I read articles from only reputable sources (medical sites, medical journals, scientific articles,...). For support, I go to this site or go to Relays and special events for survivors. I have come to accept my cancer, not so much as defining who I am, but simply as something that has happened to me and I need to deal with it.

It's important (really, essential) for us to be informed about what is happening to our bodies and what the doctors are recommending as the course of action that needs to be taken. Being informed is so important, getting second (even third opinions) provides you confidence in your decision-making, but information overload can breed anxiety. I did the same thing during my first several weeks after my dx, I think that's a normal reaction, because you want to understand this thing that has invaded your body. In time, you will be able to balance your craving for more and more information. I think it's part of our desire to feel in control.

It's great that your daughters are going with you. My daughter was my greatest caregiver and support. It was very hard on her, as it may be on your daughters. I did not realize how difficult it was for her, because I was going through my own set of challenges. I wish I knew then what I know now, and I would have made sure that my daughter had a strong support system in place for her. It is one of things I regret. Now, three years later, she is beginning to accept my cancer, but she did it the hard way. She seemed so strong and self-reliant that I did not notice she was hurting so much inside. I just thought I would mention it, since it is something that I learned long after the fact and realized that she suffered through her grieving process without the support she needed.

Thinking of you...
    dmc
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

Angel,,,,,I'm so sorry. I
    Angel,,,,,I'm so sorry. I just found out this past week I have breast cancer also. I had a biopsy this past Friday and found out it was most likely invasive lobular carcinoma. Will know more when the pathologist report comes back and see a surgeon. Have been going through so many emotions, not to say I'm scared to death. Had a mammogram last December which came out fine. My daughter who is an MRI tech said they needed some volunteers to check the machine and asked if I wanted to have this done since it wouldn't cost nothing. She said as soon as the dye was injected it all showed up. Of course, she couldn't say anything until the radiologist read it and contacted me. Thank God they got me in for a biopsy Friday and that's where I am again. Just going CRAZY.

What a bad way to find
    out you had tumors. Glad that they caught it on there though-I'm a firm believer that things like that don't happen for no reason.
    I am sorry you've got cancer,both you and Angel. Like the others have said,we have either been there or are going through it so you guys have found a good place to be.
    A book that really helped me out that I bought after I was diagnosed was Susan Love's "Breast Book". It is very informative and,I felt,helps in understanding what your doctors are talking about!
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

You can read too much
    Maryann,

My doctor actually told me to stop reading so much, especially what I found on the Internet, because there was so much information and often it was conflicting and even misleading, which only caused me more anxiety. It seemed that every waking moment was spent reading whatever I could get my hands onto, I was obsessed with understanding this disease.

I've tempered my reading since then, that was three years ago, and now I read articles from only reputable sources (medical sites, medical journals, scientific articles,...). For support, I go to this site or go to Relays and special events for survivors. I have come to accept my cancer, not so much as defining who I am, but simply as something that has happened to me and I need to deal with it.

It's important (really, essential) for us to be informed about what is happening to our bodies and what the doctors are recommending as the course of action that needs to be taken. Being informed is so important, getting second (even third opinions) provides you confidence in your decision-making, but information overload can breed anxiety. I did the same thing during my first several weeks after my dx, I think that's a normal reaction, because you want to understand this thing that has invaded your body. In time, you will be able to balance your craving for more and more information. I think it's part of our desire to feel in control.

It's great that your daughters are going with you. My daughter was my greatest caregiver and support. It was very hard on her, as it may be on your daughters. I did not realize how difficult it was for her, because I was going through my own set of challenges. I wish I knew then what I know now, and I would have made sure that my daughter had a strong support system in place for her. It is one of things I regret. Now, three years later, she is beginning to accept my cancer, but she did it the hard way. She seemed so strong and self-reliant that I did not notice she was hurting so much inside. I just thought I would mention it, since it is something that I learned long after the fact and realized that she suffered through her grieving process without the support she needed.

Thinking of you...
    dmc

Sorry...this is a long post.
    dmc,

Thank you for responding.

I think my daughter's are gathering a pretty good support system. My one daughter is an MRI tech who actually was the one who found the cancer. She had me come in on a volunteer basis through something going on at her job. She was told by her boss that she saved my life. I had a mammo done back in December but nothing showed up. Evidently, this type of cancer does not always show up on mammos so God knows how long it's been there. I went in because I felt a lump, and what should have been done with the mammo was an ultrasound. But that's water under the dam now. Can't take that time back. My second daughter has a lot of friends and her older sister and my brother to lean on, not to mention her group of friends so I'm thinking they will be okay. They are so supportive of me.

I also have a brother who lives close by who is helping. I work as a secretary in a church so you know the support I get there.

Yes, TMI (too much information) at this time. Have been staying off the internet. It really has helped.

About 2 months ago I decided to take piano lessons (can you believe at the age of 64?). I just had a little keyboard I was practicing on but just before I was diagnosed I bought a large digital piano. It came yesterday, so hopefully it will help ease my mind. I have put my lessons on hold for the time being. Hopefully it won't be long after surgery that I'll be able to play.

It was so nice hearing from you and talking with you.

Have a wonderful day!

Maryann
  • ahoyland
    ahoyland Member Posts: 4
    Options

Sorry...this is a long post.
    dmc,

Thank you for responding.

I think my daughter's are gathering a pretty good support system. My one daughter is an MRI tech who actually was the one who found the cancer. She had me come in on a volunteer basis through something going on at her job. She was told by her boss that she saved my life. I had a mammo done back in December but nothing showed up. Evidently, this type of cancer does not always show up on mammos so God knows how long it's been there. I went in because I felt a lump, and what should have been done with the mammo was an ultrasound. But that's water under the dam now. Can't take that time back. My second daughter has a lot of friends and her older sister and my brother to lean on, not to mention her group of friends so I'm thinking they will be okay. They are so supportive of me.

I also have a brother who lives close by who is helping. I work as a secretary in a church so you know the support I get there.

Yes, TMI (too much information) at this time. Have been staying off the internet. It really has helped.

About 2 months ago I decided to take piano lessons (can you believe at the age of 64?). I just had a little keyboard I was practicing on but just before I was diagnosed I bought a large digital piano. It came yesterday, so hopefully it will help ease my mind. I have put my lessons on hold for the time being. Hopefully it won't be long after surgery that I'll be able to play.

It was so nice hearing from you and talking with you.

Have a wonderful day!

Maryann

new diagnosis
    I too just found this sight,I wish I would have know about it when I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago. Everyone is so wonderful, I am due for my yearly check and would like to get an MRI, I have never had one before, does anyone know if it is covered by insurance? My tumor was not picked up by a mamo. or ultra sound either,I have very dense breast, so everything just looks white on the mamo. I felt the lump and kept persuing it, finally made it to a surgeon that said we need to get that out of there, and sure enough it was cancer.
    I understand the concept of get it out as soon as possible, it gives you a bit of power over the disease. I wish you the best of luck!
    pam
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    ahoyland said:

new diagnosis
    I too just found this sight,I wish I would have know about it when I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago. Everyone is so wonderful, I am due for my yearly check and would like to get an MRI, I have never had one before, does anyone know if it is covered by insurance? My tumor was not picked up by a mamo. or ultra sound either,I have very dense breast, so everything just looks white on the mamo. I felt the lump and kept persuing it, finally made it to a surgeon that said we need to get that out of there, and sure enough it was cancer.
    I understand the concept of get it out as soon as possible, it gives you a bit of power over the disease. I wish you the best of luck!
    pam

Hi ahoyland. My MRI was
    Hi ahoyland. My MRI was covered by my insurance, but, if you are in doubt, you better call your insurance and find out for sure. The test was several thousand dollars. And, good luck to you!
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    ahoyland said:

new diagnosis
    pam

MRI's should be covered by
    MRI's should be covered by your insurance. I pray that everything comes out wonderful.. I'm glad you found the site.. I'm sure your experiences will really help those of us who are new to this journey.

~T
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    ahoyland said:

new diagnosis
    pam

Warm welcome, pam/ahoyland!
    Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason. We're all here to support and encourage each other. Some of us are newly diagnosed, many undergoing treatment, and there are those like us - you and me - more long term survivors. Doesn't matter, because we can all relate and share everything.

I joined just a few months ago. Am now an almost six year survivor.

Discuss your wishes for an MRI openly with your doctor. If he/she can "justify" the test, insurance should pay.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Warm welcome, pam/ahoyland!
    Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason. We're all here to support and encourage each other. Some of us are newly diagnosed, many undergoing treatment, and there are those like us - you and me - more long term survivors. Doesn't matter, because we can all relate and share everything.

I joined just a few months ago. Am now an almost six year survivor.

Discuss your wishes for an MRI openly with your doctor. If he/she can "justify" the test, insurance should pay.

Kind regards, Susan

Even if your doctor requests
    Even if your doctor requests a MRI for you, you might call your insurance provider to make sure they cover it. Most do.
  • purfictladee
    purfictladee Member Posts: 3
    Options
    angel
    hi angel,i was dx back in 2004 i also had 26 lymnodes removed under my arm 13 had cancer . i went thru the chemo and rad. u must take one day at a time and be strong.u can do this.the support that we have in the cancer chatroom is so great.they have got me thru some hard time and they were always there to listen so if u ever need that time come in and join us. purfictladee
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

angel
    hi angel,i was dx back in 2004 i also had 26 lymnodes removed under my arm 13 had cancer . i went thru the chemo and rad. u must take one day at a time and be strong.u can do this.the support that we have in the cancer chatroom is so great.they have got me thru some hard time and they were always there to listen so if u ever need that time come in and join us. purfictladee

Good advise purfictladee! I
    Good advice purfictladee! I hope you are doing well now!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    ahoyland said:

new diagnosis
    pam

MRI's
    Welcome Pam, yes, you need to find out from your provider if they are covered. Mine were, but we just received notice that it will now be a co-pay of $100.00. Better than the full cost, but since all insurance companies are different, a phone call or searching on the web should give you an answer. Good luck with your next check up!
    Cat
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

angel

Hi purfictladee! Just want
    Hi purfictladee! Just want to welcome you to the site. I am kind of new too, but, this is a great site. And, you have great advice! Thanks!
  • The1percen
    The1percen Member Posts: 135
    Options
    I am sorry for the DX also,
    I am sorry for the DX also, I am still in the "in-between" stage. I have all sorts of lumps, but no diagnosis. In some ways, I want to know.... but the news you got scares me! My prayers to you. I'm not even a "survivor" yet, but this group has already given me such great support and info. Also thank you to those of you who responded to me! My prayers are with all of you. In a couple of hours I will be on my way to support many other on your side. I am walking in Relay for life and attending the survivors dinner with my dad who had/has PC. He had his 3 month chech-up this morning and "so far" he is clear. I went with him to she the Dr who did his Radiation Treatment, but after 15 minutes in the waiting room I had do go wait in the car with an Aterax. Just too scary sitting there knowing I might be there myself, and praying I won't TOO MANY emotions ritght now!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    I hope that you are feeling
    I hope that you are feeling better Angel! We all cry, it is normal with this.
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Angel my name is Aurora I
    Hi Angel my name is Aurora I just joined today and read all of the posts sent to you first. It sounds like we're going to be going through this together. Check out my posts and get back to me. It would be nice to compare our new journey together. God Bless you.
    Aurora