2»

Comments

• sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options
    Jan_M said:

Thank you all!
    Thank you for your uplifting comments.

It is true you have support in the waiting room with people that really understand what you are going through, because they are too going thru it. And all of a sudden that support is gone as each person gets done and moves on with life. I will move on too, I think it is kind of a shell shock to be done.

I will gather my family and go out to a nice restaurant and celebrate, I will lift up a glass of champagne to all you wonderful people that have given me support, smiles, crys and laughs. For all of you understand what my family can not.

Hugs to all.

You are right!
    I agree with what you(and others) have said Jan. In the waiting room of the oncology unit, we all know what the others are feeling. Then, all of a sudden, you are on your own. I think it will pass. However, we do have 2 friends who went into deep depression...so keep an eye on things and go to the doctor for help if you need to.

Love Take Care. Pat
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on finishing
    First, congrats on finishing rads. And second, what you are feeling is very normal, I am sure. It is like you had something to do and now you don't. But, you will be fine.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Kylez said:

First, congrats on finishing rads. And second, what you are feeling is very normal, I am sure. It is like you had something to do and now you don't. But, you will be fine.

I compared finishing my
    I compared finishing my treatment to retiring after 35 years of working. I would get up each morning, shower, put on makeup, dress, and then wonder "what am I going to do with the rest of my day?". The liberation you feel after completing treatment is beyond words, and slowly but surely you will get into your "new" normal routine. Take it easy, as my oncologist said it could take up to a year after completing tx before I would feel really good. Those followup visit every three months to the oncologist will help you pull that security blanket up once more, and soon you will even let go of that. Good luck on your new journey, and God speed. Hugs Judy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I felt absolutely totally
    I felt absolutely totally numb. And for quite some time too. I guess we're just letting it all sink in and find it's place within our new reality. So happy to see you back and just for you .......a little naked happy dance!!!

Jan, I totally love your lil
    Jan, I totally love your lil naked happy dancer! Cute! Cute butt! OOPS! lol
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Congratulations but I
    Congratulations but I couldn't hardly get a word in edge wise. Boy do these postings move fast.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

that feeling was normal for me too
    I kind of felt adrift. We had all these things to get done so we felt like we were being protected and cared for, and now we are told to go home. So yes, you do feel as if your security blanket has been taken away. But it should pass. Be glad you went through it all and are probably stronger for it. So, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I am doing it for you Jan!
    My happy dance LOL
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Congratulations but I
    Congratulations but I couldn't hardly get a word in edge wise. Boy do these postings move fast.

too funny marcia
    we have flying fingers (or paws as the case may be)

Typing Cat Gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Cat
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    So happy for you Jan
    Congrats on finishing rads Jan! I know it is a huge accomplishment. I think anyone that has had rads can understand the way you feel. You just kind of feel lost. It became such a habit and you were comfortable with everyone there, patients and the techs. But, I am sure that once you start doing other things to fill your days, that you will feel much better.

Once again Jan, congrats on this huge accomplishment!

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Doing my happy dance for you Jan! Hope you like it! YEE HAW

LOL at these happy dances!
    LOL at these happy dances! I need some!
  • Kylez
    Options
    Kylez said:

So, did you get burnt really
    So, did you get burnt really bad? All over where you got the radiation?
  • Kylez
    Options
    Is there a certain amount
    Is there a certain amount that most patients have of radiation treatments? I am to have 37, which seems like a lot to me. What did or is everyone else having? How many did you have Jan?
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Is there a certain amount that most patients have of radiation treatments? I am to have 37, which seems like a lot to me. What did or is everyone else having? How many did you have Jan?

Number of radiation treatments...
    ... does vary, by both patient needs and depending upon the equipment used. I had 35 standard, no boosters.
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Kylez said:

So, did you get burnt really
    So, did you get burnt really bad? All over where you got the radiation?

Kylez
    I did get 2nd degree burns. At first it was a deep red and then brown and where the skin peeled and is raw is mostly in and around the arm pit. That is where it is most painful because you can't not move your arm and keep it from rubbing, at least I can't.

I am using the CoolMagic Gel sheets under my arm and across the focused, targeted area and it really helps. Also my Dr. suggested RegenecareHA (not prescription) and it has lidocaine in it and that really helps. It seems less messy than Aquaphor.
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Kylez said:

Kylez
    I had 33 treatments, 5 boosters (targeted area) I wonder how they figure out how many you need? I also had my regular treatments laying on my stomach with the breast hanging down. I have not talked to many people that have done it that way. I wonder if I was an experiment?
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Options
    I think it's normal
    Believe me I know how you feel. Before I even started rads, I was already sick of drs appointments, tests and everything. then once I finished rads, it was nice just not to having to drive an hour a day for 30 mins of rad.

Julie