FInished treatments

Jan_M
Jan_M Member Posts: 116
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today I had my last radiation treatment. So after the surgery, chemo and rad, it is done. After seven months of worrying about treatments, I really don't know how to feel. It seems strange. I will still have drs. appt. once a month for a few months, and I will still be healing from the radiation for a month or so. But it seems so surreal that the treatments are finally done.

Anyone else feel like that at the end?

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I felt absolutely totally
    I felt absolutely totally numb. And for quite some time too. I guess we're just letting it all sink in and find it's place within our new reality. So happy to see you back and just for you .......a little naked happy dance!!!

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Done
    Oh, Jan, I am just so happy for you. I have not even begun rads yet, so I can't say how I will feel at the end. I suppose it may take awhile for the reality to sink in. Once that happens, I bet you will be feeling relieved and happy and proud of yourself.

I hope you get out there and enjoy that beautiful city you live in. Joe and I honeymooned there and have never forgotten its charm--and seafood! Wishing you full joy in the completion of your treatments.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    that feeling was normal for me too
    I kind of felt adrift. We had all these things to get done so we felt like we were being protected and cared for, and now we are told to go home. So yes, you do feel as if your security blanket has been taken away. But it should pass. Be glad you went through it all and are probably stronger for it. So, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    cats_toy said:

I kind of felt adrift. We had all these things to get done so we felt like we were being protected and cared for, and now we are told to go home. So yes, you do feel as if your security blanket has been taken away. But it should pass. Be glad you went through it all and are probably stronger for it. So, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket

same here
    Exactly what cats-toy said but not so eloquently decorated.........LOL

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxx
  • tasha_111
    cats_toy said:

PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket

Cat
    Beautiful picture. Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Congratulations, Jan_M!!!
    Quite an accomplishment, be proud - you've done it all, give yourself a pat on the back! Not easy, and you did it! Yes, the end of treatment can bring on the "what now?" question. I suggest you give yourself a break, go easy, while still getting out there to have fun and enjoy. Really, true healing begins in earnest once all invasive treatment ends. So, be good to your body. Relax.

Kind regards, Susan
  • cats_toy
    tasha_111 said:

Cat
    Beautiful picture. Jxxxxxxxxxxxx

tash
    thanks, you like the little balloons?

=^..^=
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Great news Jan, but you do
    Great news Jan, but you do feel kind of adrift. And you will probably be a little apprehensive as your doctor visits diminish in frequency, but you'll be ok.
    We've all felt that way, almost like loosing the security blanket, but it does get better. Hugs, Lili
  • tasha_111
    cats_toy said:

tash
    thanks, you like the little balloons?

=^..^=

Oh Dear!
    Noooooooo You daft sod.........I like the pic of you, you look great!

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510

I felt absolutely totally
    I felt absolutely totally numb. And for quite some time too. I guess we're just letting it all sink in and find it's place within our new reality. So happy to see you back and just for you .......a little naked happy dance!!!

SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE,
    SHAKE,

SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE,
    SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE,
    SHAKE YOUR BOOTY,
    SHAKE YOUR BOOTY!!!

Jan, you crack me up. You guys make my day. When I'm feeling down, blue or disheartened, all I have to do is read some of your posts and you just take me out of my funk. Thanks everyone, for the laughs, tears, vents and your broad shoulders to cry on. Hugs, Lili
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Oh Dear!

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DAFT SOD ?!?!?
    I must be really tired, or something... DAFT SOD ?!?!? Not even a joke-on-purpose, and I'm choking... (laugh, cough, cough, snicker, cough, snicker, etc.)

Kind regards, Susan
  • cats_toy
    tasha_111 said:

Oh Dear!

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx

oh you had me rolling....
    Photobucket
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Congratulations Jan!
    I just had my two weeks done with rads doctors appointment today and I was so glad to go back to the cancer center and see everyone. We had all become such good friends. Some of them even came down to my small lil town about 2 weeks ago and walked in the Relay For Life with my team named after me. I was so honored. I have pics of some of them on my expressions page here, if you haven't seen them Jan.

I can only tell you my experience after rads. I was so relieved that there wasn't a 2 hour drive everyday. I was so relieved to not be burnt anymore. I was so relieved to get my life back, kind of finally. But, I felt lost. You see, the cancer center was my safe zone. Everyone there was like me. They had cancer, they were getting radiation and they were just glad to be alive still. I actually missed it. Not the radiation, lol, gawd no, but, the patients, my radiation oncologist, the techs, even the parking lot attendant. It was always the same parking lot attendant and he didn't look at my stamped ( free parking ) ticket after a few days. He just smiled and tipped his hat at me and waved me thru. A very nice older man. See, he could see that I came out of the cancer center everyday, so, I think he just was being super nice. I am done 2 weeks or so and I still feel kind of in limbo. I go to lunch with girlfriends, I clean my house, work in my flowers etc., but, I still just feel strange. Ofcourse, my Mom passed away in February this year, a month after I was diagnosed for the second time with breast cancer. So, I think I am just kind mentally a mess and not dealing with her death and trying to hang onto what and where I felt good at. ( the cancer center or at home )

Ok, I have rambled on here. Sorry Jan. I mainly just wanted to convey to you that YES, I understand exactly how you feel. You are not alone in feeling that way. Enjoy your days now and still take care of yourself. Love, Jeanne

p.s. My husband whisked me away last week for a romantic getaway. He had rented a beautiful cabin in the woods and surprised me with it. It was wonderful and it really did help to get away from everything and just RELAX! Maybe, you could do something along those lines too.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Congratulations Jan!
    I just had my two weeks done with rads doctors appointment today and I was so glad to go back to the cancer center and see everyone. We had all become such good friends. Some of them even came down to my small lil town about 2 weeks ago and walked in the Relay For Life with my team named after me. I was so honored. I have pics of some of them on my expressions page here, if you haven't seen them Jan.

I can only tell you my experience after rads. I was so relieved that there wasn't a 2 hour drive everyday. I was so relieved to not be burnt anymore. I was so relieved to get my life back, kind of finally. But, I felt lost. You see, the cancer center was my safe zone. Everyone there was like me. They had cancer, they were getting radiation and they were just glad to be alive still. I actually missed it. Not the radiation, lol, gawd no, but, the patients, my radiation oncologist, the techs, even the parking lot attendant. It was always the same parking lot attendant and he didn't look at my stamped ( free parking ) ticket after a few days. He just smiled and tipped his hat at me and waved me thru. A very nice older man. See, he could see that I came out of the cancer center everyday, so, I think he just was being super nice. I am done 2 weeks or so and I still feel kind of in limbo. I go to lunch with girlfriends, I clean my house, work in my flowers etc., but, I still just feel strange. Ofcourse, my Mom passed away in February this year, a month after I was diagnosed for the second time with breast cancer. So, I think I am just kind mentally a mess and not dealing with her death and trying to hang onto what and where I felt good at. ( the cancer center or at home )

Ok, I have rambled on here. Sorry Jan. I mainly just wanted to convey to you that YES, I understand exactly how you feel. You are not alone in feeling that way. Enjoy your days now and still take care of yourself. Love, Jeanne

p.s. My husband whisked me away last week for a romantic getaway. He had rented a beautiful cabin in the woods and surprised me with it. It was wonderful and it really did help to get away from everything and just RELAX! Maybe, you could do something along those lines too.

Big Congrats Jan!
    This is a huge day for you! I finished last week and I was so glad to be done. Hopefully, I will start healing now. I am burnt and still have those itchy bumps, but, they said it should all go away quickly. When I woke up the first day after my last rad treatment, I felt lost. It was like, what do I do now? It had become such a routine for me. But, I am very glad they are done and now I can get on with living my life! So, congrats to you Jan and get out there and LIVE!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Jan,I felt that
    way too. Felt like I was cut off from the apron strings,and I was happy about no more treatment-but like Jeanne said,I had made friends both with the other patients,and all my medical caregivers and I didn't want to say goodbye. I told my chemo nurse about it and she challenged me to set some goals. They told me that I could come back to visit,so I gave it some time and now I come to visit every once in a while. I think it makes them happy and uplifted to see people who have been past treatment and getting healthy again!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Jan,I felt that
    way too. Felt like I was cut off from the apron strings,and I was happy about no more treatment-but like Jeanne said,I had made friends both with the other patients,and all my medical caregivers and I didn't want to say goodbye. I told my chemo nurse about it and she challenged me to set some goals. They told me that I could come back to visit,so I gave it some time and now I come to visit every once in a while. I think it makes them happy and uplifted to see people who have been past treatment and getting healthy again!

Jan, I want to congratulate
    Jan, I want to congratulate you too. I just started my rad treatments, but, can't wait to be done. I am already tired and sick of them. I am happy for you!
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Congrats, Jan!
    I can't wait until my beloved Moopster gets there too. You really ought to treat yourself to some nice Charleston seafood - start out with clam chowder, and then some shrimp, and then some bacon-wrapped scallops; some more bacon-wrapped scallops... mmmm....

But whatever way you have of celebrating - get out and kick up your heels! You have achieved something AWESOME!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Familiar feeling
    Hi Jan, yes I recall feeling like okay treatments all over now what.....I felt like I was a bit lost. It is normal and it will pass. Now is the time to celebrate you did it and you are gonna do great!!!!! Lets do the happy dance just for you!

RE
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Jeanne D said:

Congratulations Jan!

Doing my happy dance for you Jan! Hope you like it! YEE HAW
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    RE said:

Familiar feeling
    Hi Jan, yes I recall feeling like okay treatments all over now what.....I felt like I was a bit lost. It is normal and it will pass. Now is the time to celebrate you did it and you are gonna do great!!!!! Lets do the happy dance just for you!

RE

Thank you all!
    Thank you for your uplifting comments.

It is true you have support in the waiting room with people that really understand what you are going through, because they are too going thru it. And all of a sudden that support is gone as each person gets done and moves on with life. I will move on too, I think it is kind of a shell shock to be done.

I will gather my family and go out to a nice restaurant and celebrate, I will lift up a glass of champagne to all you wonderful people that have given me support, smiles, crys and laughs. For all of you understand what my family can not.

Hugs to all.