New Road in LIfe?

Options
2»

Comments

• TrishyG
    TrishyG Member Posts: 40
    Options
    AGH
    Hi, I just recently joined this community to. I have just finished my treatement at Allegheny General. They are just wonderful. I had a great surgeon. Dr. Thomas Julian. He was so caring and wonderful. He's a little quirky but I like quirky. Is it worth it to travel to a hospital that is several hours from your house? Yes!!!! I live about an hour away from AGH but it was the best choice for me. Good luck with your journey. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    TrishyG said:

AGH
    Hi, I just recently joined this community to. I have just finished my treatement at Allegheny General. They are just wonderful. I had a great surgeon. Dr. Thomas Julian. He was so caring and wonderful. He's a little quirky but I like quirky. Is it worth it to travel to a hospital that is several hours from your house? Yes!!!! I live about an hour away from AGH but it was the best choice for me. Good luck with your journey. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Dr Julian....
    Wow...small world. Dr Julian is my surgeon as well!! He spent 2 hours with me yesterday just talking! Going over treatment options (His wisdom altimately won in the end over my panic!!). Love everyone there. Sue (his nurse) presented me with their cancer binder to keep track of all my care. What a great idea this binder is for keeping everything organized. Love it! :) Pammy
  • TrishyG
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Dr Julian....
    Wow...small world. Dr Julian is my surgeon as well!! He spent 2 hours with me yesterday just talking! Going over treatment options (His wisdom altimately won in the end over my panic!!). Love everyone there. Sue (his nurse) presented me with their cancer binder to keep track of all my care. What a great idea this binder is for keeping everything organized. Love it! :) Pammy

Small world
    Funny, it is a small world. I found the panic ended for me when I had my treatment protocol. The binder is awesome. It really keeps you organized and it almost becomes a diary for your treatment and recovery. Sue is also awesome. I will be thinking of you during your surgery. Trish.
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    TrishyG said:

Small world
    Funny, it is a small world. I found the panic ended for me when I had my treatment protocol. The binder is awesome. It really keeps you organized and it almost becomes a diary for your treatment and recovery. Sue is also awesome. I will be thinking of you during your surgery. Trish.

where are you from Trish?
    I'm in Wheeling, WV....It's so comforting to hear from someone that is going to the same Dr and to hear the good comments!! It truly makes me feel better inside to know that I made the right choice in selecting who I would put my life in the hands of. How soon did you recieve your treatment protocol after surgery? :) Pammy
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Almost Neighbors
    Hi Pammy
    Your post caught my eye as soon as I saw Allegheny General and Wheeling. I'm in Toronto, OH, about 6 miles north of Steubenville, right off Rt. 7. My IDC was diagnosed in 2003 when I was 53 and still teaching school. I had horrid pain in my shoulder that no one could explain and their first thought was it might be related to the cancer. I also waited for insurance approval only to find out I had a rotator cuff tear that several months of physical therapy took care of for me.
    My closest friend had her breast cancer surgery done by Dr. Thomas Julian at Allegheny General and is doing great. We'll be going back on June 12th for her annual mammogram and consultation.
    I wish you the very best of luck in the coming weeks. You're in excellent hands!
    terri
  • TrishyG
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

where are you from Trish?
    I'm in Wheeling, WV....It's so comforting to hear from someone that is going to the same Dr and to hear the good comments!! It truly makes me feel better inside to know that I made the right choice in selecting who I would put my life in the hands of. How soon did you recieve your treatment protocol after surgery? :) Pammy

Hi Pam, I received my
    Hi Pam, I received my treatment protocol in about week after I intially saw Dr. Julian. It was coordinated with my oncologist. My tumor was fairly large over 5cm and I had 3 lymph nodes involved. My oncologist is at AGH also, so they decided that I would have chemo first to shrink the tumor. I received all my test first (Pet scan, additional mammograhphy etc). I totally responded to chemo. Chemo pretty much dissovled my tumor. I had the option of a lumpectomy and radation but I also had the genetic testing and found out that I am BRCA2 (breast cancer gene) positive. I decided to go with the bilateral mastectomy because of my genetic status. I truely felt releif when I knew what was happening to me. Dr. J and my oncologist gave me a wealth of information to decide what I felt would be best for me.

I live in Greensburg, PA... It's about 30 miles from PGH.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    What a GREAT idea!!! Get that bear!!!
    I took pictures, and had them sign my hat...lol...

Breast cancer was my second, so I did what I did for my first after all was over...

Mrs. Field's big chocolate chip cookie for my chemo gals and rads guys and gals,
    and a 5-pound box of Godiva chocolate for my surgeon...teehee...my oncologist got my insurance payment...she was a real study!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    tlmac said:

Almost Neighbors
    Hi Pammy
    Your post caught my eye as soon as I saw Allegheny General and Wheeling. I'm in Toronto, OH, about 6 miles north of Steubenville, right off Rt. 7. My IDC was diagnosed in 2003 when I was 53 and still teaching school. I had horrid pain in my shoulder that no one could explain and their first thought was it might be related to the cancer. I also waited for insurance approval only to find out I had a rotator cuff tear that several months of physical therapy took care of for me.
    My closest friend had her breast cancer surgery done by Dr. Thomas Julian at Allegheny General and is doing great. We'll be going back on June 12th for her annual mammogram and consultation.
    I wish you the very best of luck in the coming weeks. You're in excellent hands!
    terri

Hi Terri....
    I'm hoping the pain in my arm is being caused by a bulging disc in my neck (PC is considering this possibility since I was involved in car accident April 1 last year and lost mobility in my neck to completely turn my head left) and not related. But as I have found out, Dr. Julian will not leave any stone unturned!! Now that is dedication!! However, today makes 6 days waiting on insurance's approval. We have been anxiously waiting for the phone to ring!! I could not imagine they would risk the liability to turn me down, however, I'm beginning to believe they are becoming abusive in their delays.....We think because they lost a big contract with my husband's employer and do not want to pay out since new insurance start's on the 1st. For their sake, they better hope this is not the case. My Dr's have been calling EVERYDAY and they are told that it is before the board of Dr's. I know all companies are making cut backs, but it better not be made when it comes to my care!! If I do not get approval in time, and my surgery is delayed till the 1st (next available date) then I will pursue abuse and breach of contract with them....everyone keep your fingers crossed!! Wow.....sorry for the tangent!! :) Pammy
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    KathiM said:

What a GREAT idea!!! Get that bear!!!
    I took pictures, and had them sign my hat...lol...

Breast cancer was my second, so I did what I did for my first after all was over...

Mrs. Field's big chocolate chip cookie for my chemo gals and rads guys and gals,
    and a 5-pound box of Godiva chocolate for my surgeon...teehee...my oncologist got my insurance payment...she was a real study!

Hugs, Kathi

Great idea...
    Thanks for the idea kathi...hmmmm...sounds like I may need to post another thread...note to self....get ideas on thank you gifts. :) Pammy