New Road in LIfe?

Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everyone....just recently diagnosed (47 yrs old). My brain seems to be in obsession mode, is this normal? Feel like I am taking speed course in BC. Was sent out of state to Aleghany General Breast Center in PA (I live in Wheeling, WV). Absolutely wonderful teem! Very fortunate to have been sent there. Still in testing and talking phase. Had 1 Breast MRI, 3 mammos, 2 sonograms, 1 cyst drained in process & core needle biopsy in last 2 weeks! I feel put through the ringer & I haven't even gotten started!! Past 15 years I have had 7 lumpectomies (all benign). I'm very fibrocystic. Past 7 years...nothing (Never missed mammos though!). Then WHAM!!! I go to doc cause arm hurts. MRI picks up breast. More test suggested and here I am. Surgeon wants PET scan since arm still hurts & was original complaint. I go back Tuesday for more discussion & discisions. Thinks I am still a good canidate for lumpectomy + rad + hormone therapy. Says I have excellant oncologists here in Wheeling for treatment (Thank you Lord!). Not sure I could take 3 hr round trip daily when treatment starts!! Was thinking of getting one of those bears that graduates use to have everyone sign and ask everyone who is involved in my care to sign as a reminder of all the wonderful people who pulled together that took care of me. Thoughts on this idea? If it sounds corney...tell me (I have found out I have broad shoulders & can take it!!). Would love to hear thoughts on anything at this point. Everything is spinning so fast that I just want to jump off the ride for a second & catch my breath!! Pammy

Comments

• tatooedinpink
    tatooedinpink Member Posts: 95
    Welcome Pammy
    Pammy, welcome from one of your sisters.
    Will keep you in my thoughts as you go thru this whirlwind adventure.
    So sorry to hear, but welcome you and wish you the best.
    You will find this a warm and informative place.

Hugs,

Debbie
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Akiss
    Want to jump off the ride >? Sounds absolutely normal to me. It's a high-speed roller coaster and very frightening at this stage. You have found the right site, welcome!!!!!!!

Them 3 hour round trips are a bigger killer than the big 'C'
    , Chemo or Rads.......Well done on that.

Huge Hugs Jxxxxxx
  • Akiss4me

Welcome Pammy
    Pammy, welcome from one of your sisters.
    Will keep you in my thoughts as you go thru this whirlwind adventure.
    So sorry to hear, but welcome you and wish you the best.
    You will find this a warm and informative place.

Hugs,

Debbie

Welcome
    Thank you for the welcome :) and hugs!!
  • Akiss4me
    tasha_111 said:

Akiss
    Want to jump off the ride >? Sounds absolutely normal to me. It's a high-speed roller coaster and very frightening at this stage. You have found the right site, welcome!!!!!!!

Them 3 hour round trips are a bigger killer than the big 'C'
    , Chemo or Rads.......Well done on that.

Huge Hugs Jxxxxxx

Welcome
    Thank you for the welcome too. And for validating the fact that I am still normal (Shhh...don't tell my husband....makes for a great excuse!!)
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    pammy
    here's for hoping all the tests come up clean. The bear idea is kinda cute. I loved all the people I dealt with at the onc and rads, I took pictures of them all, they even had balloons for me on my last day. It always help to have a good group of people surrounding you, and you will find them here on this site too.

=^..^=
  • Akiss4me
    cats_toy said:

pammy
    here's for hoping all the tests come up clean. The bear idea is kinda cute. I loved all the people I dealt with at the onc and rads, I took pictures of them all, they even had balloons for me on my last day. It always help to have a good group of people surrounding you, and you will find them here on this site too.

=^..^=

Bear Idea
    Thanks for the feedback....so far what I know is my cancer is estrogen +, Progesterone +, Ductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade (not sure what that means yet). The PET scan is because there has been no diagnosis for my arm yet (feels like I broke the Humerus!), may show something related? Waiting on Ins. approval to proceed. Glad I found this site!!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Welcome Pammy, it is a
    Welcome Pammy, it is a whirlwind of tests, tests and more tests. I'm hoping it all works out for you. Signature bear sounds like a cute idea to me. I wound up taking pictures of everyone and then making a photo album while I still remembered everyone's names. Hugs, Lili
  • Akiss4me

Welcome Pammy, it is a
    Welcome Pammy, it is a whirlwind of tests, tests and more tests. I'm hoping it all works out for you. Signature bear sounds like a cute idea to me. I wound up taking pictures of everyone and then making a photo album while I still remembered everyone's names. Hugs, Lili

Welcome
    Thank you for the welcome. I like the ideas about taking pics too. It's good to know that there are other people that want to do something to remember everyone. I don't feel so alone in that thought anymore. On the up side.....I at least won't have to STUDY for these test!!! (Ha Ha)
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Thank you for the welcome. I like the ideas about taking pics too. It's good to know that there are other people that want to do something to remember everyone. I don't feel so alone in that thought anymore. On the up side.....I at least won't have to STUDY for these test!!! (Ha Ha)

Hi Pammy!
    Welcome to the site but sorry that you are here because of bc. You will love this site and the people. I took and still take pictures of everyone involved in my treatment. I just finished 37 radiation treatments and found myself lost for awhile, not knowing what to do with my time. Strange, huh? lol I love all of my doctors, nurses, radiation techs..they are all wonderful. They even still send me cards and call. I hope and pray that your journey will be easy for you and that you will have wonderful people to care for you.
  • Akiss4me
    Jeanne D said:

Hi Pammy!
    Welcome to the site but sorry that you are here because of bc. You will love this site and the people. I took and still take pictures of everyone involved in my treatment. I just finished 37 radiation treatments and found myself lost for awhile, not knowing what to do with my time. Strange, huh? lol I love all of my doctors, nurses, radiation techs..they are all wonderful. They even still send me cards and call. I hope and pray that your journey will be easy for you and that you will have wonderful people to care for you.

Thanks!!
    Thank you for the welcome :) I'm nervous about side effects from radiation? More scared of BC so will go through all treatments regardless. Besides....hubby doesn't want to lose me (together 31 years!!) and I don't want to lose the chance to out live him & spend his life insurance money someday....we made a bet!!! Soon everyone will learn it is my nature to joke alot as I am addicted to laughter :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Welcome Pammy!
    So sorry that you are here because of the beast, but, just know that we all are here for your support. It is a great bunch here as you will find out. Welcome again!

• Akiss4me
    Kristin N said:

Welcome Pammy!
    So sorry that you are here because of the beast, but, just know that we all are here for your support. It is a great bunch here as you will find out. Welcome again!

Thank you!
    Is this normal to stay up all night posting? I am beaming from all the wonderful welcomes that I don't want to leave....thank you for yours!! Everyone has made me feel so much better inside.....love the cat pic!! I'm a cat person, so it makes me smile :)
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hi, Pammy...
    Yeah, we call it the roller coaster ride. Remember to take a deep breath every now and then!

I personally love your idea about the bear. No, I honestly don't think it's "corny" at all. When my dad had heart surgery - the nurses gave him a big, red, heart-shaped pillow. Everyone who attended to him, including all the doctors, signed it while he was in the hospital. It's a nice keepsake. My parents have it on the couch in their "den" (as they call it!).

My treatment - chemo & rads after surgery - took place during autumn & winter. I brought Halloween candy & little Christmas gifts to the chemo staff. The rads staff got Valentine's Day chocolates. Each group gave me a "diploma" and a round of applause upon completion. So, I have two diplomas - both including all their signatures. Again, nice keepsakes from nice people.

OK, stop... Be still... Take a deep breath...

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kristin N
    Akiss4me said:

Thank you!
    Is this normal to stay up all night posting? I am beaming from all the wonderful welcomes that I don't want to leave....thank you for yours!! Everyone has made me feel so much better inside.....love the cat pic!! I'm a cat person, so it makes me smile :)

Is it normal? I don't know,
    Is it normal? I don't know, I just don't sleep very well (unlike my hubby) lol ,so, I get up a lot and check the puter. And, you are very welcome for my posting. I am so happy that we made you feel better inside. That is all any of us could ask for. Thanks for your compliment on the cat. lol I love cats too and dogs and just about every other animal. :)
  • Akiss4me

Hi, Pammy...
    Yeah, we call it the roller coaster ride. Remember to take a deep breath every now and then!

I personally love your idea about the bear. No, I honestly don't think it's "corny" at all. When my dad had heart surgery - the nurses gave him a big, red, heart-shaped pillow. Everyone who attended to him, including all the doctors, signed it while he was in the hospital. It's a nice keepsake. My parents have it on the couch in their "den" (as they call it!).

My treatment - chemo & rads after surgery - took place during autumn & winter. I brought Halloween candy & little Christmas gifts to the chemo staff. The rads staff got Valentine's Day chocolates. Each group gave me a "diploma" and a round of applause upon completion. So, I have two diplomas - both including all their signatures. Again, nice keepsakes from nice people.

OK, stop... Be still... Take a deep breath...

Kind regards, Susan

Taking DEEEEEP breath....
    ....and blowing out!!! Thank you! Hubby going with me to hallmark to find one today. He gets to sign it first as he has taken care of me from start!! He is so glad I am doing something other then "fretting" when I am on here. I personally think he secretly likes that it relinquishes the remote to him so he can watch golf!! Thanks for the encouragement :) Pammy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    You are normal!
    Yep. The obsesing. The crash course in breast cancer. The staying-up-late-to-post syndrome. All normal and experienced by most of us here on the boards. It sounds like you are getting very good support from your husband and health care team. That is so very important. Do the bear idea. Very sweet. And keep posting, day or night!

Mimi
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    mimivac said:

You are normal!
    Yep. The obsesing. The crash course in breast cancer. The staying-up-late-to-post syndrome. All normal and experienced by most of us here on the boards. It sounds like you are getting very good support from your husband and health care team. That is so very important. Do the bear idea. Very sweet. And keep posting, day or night!

Mimi

NORMAL! Sometimes I wonder
    NORMAL! Sometimes I wonder if there is such a thing. The bear idea sounds fun, and it will definitely keep you occupied while in treatment. You sure don't want to miss anyone involved, so keep your pen handy. My group of caregivers are still some of my best friends...drop in to see them every time I visit the onc, even though chemo isn't part of my treatment plan for now. You will find that most people on this board are ready and willing to hear and applaud any new ideas, so keep posting, and we will keep supporting. After all, that is what we do best, and it is returned to us tenfold. Welcome to the party...we will be here day or night..Hugs.

Judy
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Hello
    Hello... I understand completely the roller coaster ride... I wish someone would hit the stop button... because I would get off.. I was just diagnosed last Wednesday w/invasive ductal carcinoma. I go in for more tests (sental node biopsy etc) the 9th. That's when they will determine the treatment.

I think the bear idea is a great idea. Wish there was something to pass around here.. the support is amazing!

Good luck to you and my prayers are with you.

~T
  • Akiss4me
    taleena said:

Hello
    Hello... I understand completely the roller coaster ride... I wish someone would hit the stop button... because I would get off.. I was just diagnosed last Wednesday w/invasive ductal carcinoma. I go in for more tests (sental node biopsy etc) the 9th. That's when they will determine the treatment.

I think the bear idea is a great idea. Wish there was something to pass around here.. the support is amazing!

Good luck to you and my prayers are with you.

~T

support
    Yes, I agree...the support is absolutely amazing. And thank you to all that continue to welcome me!!! If I remember correctly my surgeon said he will do a sentenal Node biopsy same time as lumpectomy. He is pretty sure how my treatment will go but of course all could change after surgery & final decision will be with oncologist & me. The wait is just a killer. Especially if your like me & wanted this all done YESTERDAY!! If I agree to lumpectomy, will probably be on the 10th....you'll be 1 day ahead of me. I as well wish you the best of luck & please keep us posted :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Akiss4me said:

support
    Yes, I agree...the support is absolutely amazing. And thank you to all that continue to welcome me!!! If I remember correctly my surgeon said he will do a sentenal Node biopsy same time as lumpectomy. He is pretty sure how my treatment will go but of course all could change after surgery & final decision will be with oncologist & me. The wait is just a killer. Especially if your like me & wanted this all done YESTERDAY!! If I agree to lumpectomy, will probably be on the 10th....you'll be 1 day ahead of me. I as well wish you the best of luck & please keep us posted :) Pammy

Your bear idea is great!
    Your bear idea is great! You will really appreciate it and treasure it. And, I know the wait seems to take forever. Just enjoy this time to do whatever you want to do. And, your pathology report will show you your treatment options. And, you get that after your surgery. Good luck to you and keep us posted here.