Hair Growth

Options
Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Can someone tell me what vitamin is good for hair growth? My hair is falling out more and more each day, and I don't see any new growth. My last folfox/avastin was mid March, and I start chemo again next week....treament 7. I know hair is everything, but it sure hurts seeing it go!

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hmmm
    All I know is that chemo is NOT good for hair growth.
    Did you see anything on the internet at all? I'd see what you can find there. Maybe someone here can help out with that which is why you posted it here. I catch on after a while...
    -phil
    PS: I saw where someone said pre-natal vitamins are good for it
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Hair
    I know you didn't ask for opinions or suggestions, but you know how I am. I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I know losing hair can be a very serious thing for so many.

I vote that you shave it off. Have a party (only invite crazy chicks that you know well), have margaritas or sangria and shave away! My hairdresser came to my house, shaved me for free and offered a free head shave to anyone else interested. Of course, I was the only taker!

Then get some fun, funky hats. NO canzer hats allowed! I hate those things, they made me look and feel sick. I now have a whole collection of hats that I'll wear WITH hair.Also, start a collection of big, funky earrings - they distract from your newly bald head! LOL

If you mention the above when setting up the gathering you might be surprised that someone will help you start your collections. People will want to make the transition easier for you without shaving their own heads. It can be very uplifting and FUN!

Grins and giggles,

Kimby

PS. I'm not sure of your hat tastes:

ctl img pink hat

ctl img Photobucket

ctl img bucket hat

ctl img black hat

ctl img Photobucket
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    I agree with Kimby
    My hair started coming out in patches with round #2. I freaked at first, then I took control. My darling daughter buzzed it all off for me, and I will continue to do that until chemo is done. THEN I will worry about it coming back. As long as you are on chemo, it will probably continue to fall out.

My friends are quilt artists, and they have been sending me handpainted silk scarves, etc. They don't look like cancer scarves...at least in my mind. Find what works for you and embrace it. This is a temporary situation...you will prevail!

Many Hugs, Vicki
  • Nana b
    Options
    Oh, I am going to cry!
    I can't wear a hat to work - OMG! Guess I will have to quit working -- lol

This is tough! Read you posts and went out and bought a wig today! Now I will go get a short hair cut! I don't think I can do the buzz job, my sister told me the same thing and I told her to go first, well that was the end of that!

I did some searching on the internet but probabaly entered the wrong words, just got advertisemens to buy pills.

I thought someone might know off hand if it was a certain vitamin that was good for hair.

Thank you all! I will go get a short hair cut, this hair on my pillow is driving me nuts.

Those are awesome hats, love them!
  • kitten0385
    kitten0385 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    Nana b said:

Oh, I am going to cry!

This is tough! Read you posts and went out and bought a wig today! Now I will go get a short hair cut! I don't think I can do the buzz job, my sister told me the same thing and I told her to go first, well that was the end of that!

I did some searching on the internet but probabaly entered the wrong words, just got advertisemens to buy pills.

I thought someone might know off hand if it was a certain vitamin that was good for hair.

Thank you all! I will go get a short hair cut, this hair on my pillow is driving me nuts.

Nioxin
    I'm not sure if this is what truly helped me or not, but my hairdresser told me to use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner when I first got diagnosed. My oncologist told me I would lose all my hair, and it only thinned a bit. I had hair all over my hands when I washed it, but if you didn't know me you wouldn't know I was going through chemo. I started out with a massive amount of hair though. I started using the shampoo/conditioner before I started chemo, and also cut my hair really short, figured that way I wouldn't have to do as much brushing and wouldn't pull as much out. I don't think Nioxin will stop your hair from falling out, but maybe it would help it grow back faster, I know it stimulates the hair folliicles. Just what I did and seemed to work for me. Hats and scarves are beautiful too!! I also bought a wig...my oncologist wrote me a prescription for it in hopes that my insurance would pay for it (mine didn't), but that's worth checking into. Good luck with everything!!!

Cathy
  • Nana b
    Options

Nioxin
    I'm not sure if this is what truly helped me or not, but my hairdresser told me to use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner when I first got diagnosed. My oncologist told me I would lose all my hair, and it only thinned a bit. I had hair all over my hands when I washed it, but if you didn't know me you wouldn't know I was going through chemo. I started out with a massive amount of hair though. I started using the shampoo/conditioner before I started chemo, and also cut my hair really short, figured that way I wouldn't have to do as much brushing and wouldn't pull as much out. I don't think Nioxin will stop your hair from falling out, but maybe it would help it grow back faster, I know it stimulates the hair folliicles. Just what I did and seemed to work for me. Hats and scarves are beautiful too!! I also bought a wig...my oncologist wrote me a prescription for it in hopes that my insurance would pay for it (mine didn't), but that's worth checking into. Good luck with everything!!!

Cathy

Thanks!
    Appreciate the informaton, I will try it!

Thank you
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nana b said:

Thanks!
    Appreciate the informaton, I will try it!

Thank you

Nana
    When I first started, my hair person said that they had aplace that did wigs for "us." it is an Aveda salon. I was about to die my hair purple, figured if it was going to fall out I would do it in style! They wre going to do it for me, but I gave up. I bought a fedora. good Italian hat. My hair never fell out, but the fedora is grea - it was always me and still will be! from your pics - it would suit you! girl, just hang tough....
  • VickiCO
    Options
    Nana b said:

Oh, I am going to cry!

Hat to work
    Why can't you wear a hat to work? Just curious...but I like the quit working too! LOL!

Vicki
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Nioxin

Cathy

Nioxin
    I also am using the shampoo/conditioner/hair strengthener. My daughter works at a salon and it is recommended for people going through chemo to help minimize the lose of hair or help strengthen what you have. My hair is thin to begin with so even though my hair is only supposed to thin - that could be a lot of my hair. They are great products.

Good Luck!

Kim
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Losing hair
    Cathy is right abiout the Nioxin products. As a hairdresser and a cancer survivor I highly reccomend all of their products. They don't prevent the hair from falling out and even while usung them you still might lose it all, but it does strengthen the follicles.
    Losing your hair really isn't important but it's still upsetting when it happens. I was told that my hair would thin and fortunately I have alot of hair, but after my second chemo when it started to fall out in clumps, I freaked!! I remember my husband trying to pick up the hair hoping that I wouldn't notice how much there really was.I couldn't even touch it without it falling out. After I got over the initial shock I decided that if it all fell out I would buy some pretty scarfs and bigger earrings. I would never be the type of person to be embaressed about my hair loss, I would be proud that I was a fighter and I was going to be one of the ones to beat this lousy cancer. Better to be bald and healthy, than to have a full head of hair and have cancer.
    As far as vitmins I was recently reading on Web MD that you shouldn't your rely on vitamins for your hair and I'm not too sure about taking them. I think a regular multi vit is just as good. They say if you have the right nutriants you'll have good hair and nails. I will admit I don't always eat well or take vit but I have good hair. I trully believe it's all hereditary.
    It wiil grow back, it just takes time. I lost more than half my hair,and it's been coming back in. Be patient, and good luck with your treatments.
    Wendy
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Losing hair
    Cathy is right abiout the Nioxin products. As a hairdresser and a cancer survivor I highly reccomend all of their products. They don't prevent the hair from falling out and even while usung them you still might lose it all, but it does strengthen the follicles.
    Losing your hair really isn't important but it's still upsetting when it happens. I was told that my hair would thin and fortunately I have alot of hair, but after my second chemo when it started to fall out in clumps, I freaked!! I remember my husband trying to pick up the hair hoping that I wouldn't notice how much there really was.I couldn't even touch it without it falling out. After I got over the initial shock I decided that if it all fell out I would buy some pretty scarfs and bigger earrings. I would never be the type of person to be embaressed about my hair loss, I would be proud that I was a fighter and I was going to be one of the ones to beat this lousy cancer. Better to be bald and healthy, than to have a full head of hair and have cancer.
    As far as vitmins I was recently reading on Web MD that you shouldn't your rely on vitamins for your hair and I'm not too sure about taking them. I think a regular multi vit is just as good. They say if you have the right nutriants you'll have good hair and nails. I will admit I don't always eat well or take vit but I have good hair. I trully believe it's all hereditary.
    It wiil grow back, it just takes time. I lost more than half my hair,and it's been coming back in. Be patient, and good luck with your treatments.
    Wendy

Nana B
    Its good to hear from you again. I blanked out your hair from the pic I remember you had posted and your still gonna be as pretty as you were before with or without your hair. You girls have to realize that a lot of men like the "Demi Moore" look. It makes a woman seem sure of her self and very secure. It will grow back and the immediate loss of it will be frightening for a little bit but it will become norm for you soon and yea, I wish I could trade my hair to be able to retire....I would be bald with sand between my toes on a beach tomorrow....... :)
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    B vitamins
    All of your B vitamins (B6, B12, thiacin, folic, riboflavin etc.) help support new cell growth. The cells that grow the fastest are hair, skin, inside your mouth, and your colon wall. My hair thinned greatly and ended up looking so "fried" I got it cut short. I took a B complex multivitamin as soon as I stopped chemo and my hairdressor was amazed 6 months later when I had less grey hair than before my diagnosis. If you are still on chemo, make sure it is okay with your oncologist to take them (my onc was fine with supplements). I got mine at a health food store (not all vitamins are good!!) and made sure the B6 and B12 were 500-1000% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance).

Lisa P.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    scouty said:

B vitamins
    All of your B vitamins (B6, B12, thiacin, folic, riboflavin etc.) help support new cell growth. The cells that grow the fastest are hair, skin, inside your mouth, and your colon wall. My hair thinned greatly and ended up looking so "fried" I got it cut short. I took a B complex multivitamin as soon as I stopped chemo and my hairdressor was amazed 6 months later when I had less grey hair than before my diagnosis. If you are still on chemo, make sure it is okay with your oncologist to take them (my onc was fine with supplements). I got mine at a health food store (not all vitamins are good!!) and made sure the B6 and B12 were 500-1000% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance).

Lisa P.

Nana....
    ....I just did my first crying this morning, and felt so bad that I did cry...as I took a shower, getting ready for my 5th treatment here, loads of hair fell out, it seems the more I shower, the more I even brush my hair, it's all coming out, and my onc said I wouldn't lose all my hair, but would have hair thinning, well as I try to be brave, and watched my hair each day get thinner and thinner, I finally broke down in the shower today as I stuffed up the drain with my hair.

I think I'm going to go buy a wig soon, I priced them, and saw they were over $200-$300 for wigs, and wow, that's alot of money, I do love the Italian Fedora hats too, so may just get one of those also, I know it scares my kids at the thought of me being bald, but even though I'm not going to let the cancer take me, I am going to not cry again over my hair again, I got it out, and I'm done.. time to just let it go, those Nioxin products do sound pretty interesting though, I may have to find them in one of the salons here.

Hugsssss!
    ~Donna
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    haircut
    It's a very emotional time and topic.

For what it's worth, I went for a VERY short haircut (think Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby -- for those of you who are old enough). Posh Spice Victoria Beckham for you younger ones. I get a lot of compliments -- from people who have no idea about my chemo/hair thinning situation.

"Oh you are so brave/bold -- I wish I had the guts to cut my hair so short". Guts? I wanna say -- try .......OK but I don't say that.

Anyway -- just a thought. A GOOD short cut can look terrific.
  • VickiCO
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Nana....
    ....I just did my first crying this morning, and felt so bad that I did cry...as I took a shower, getting ready for my 5th treatment here, loads of hair fell out, it seems the more I shower, the more I even brush my hair, it's all coming out, and my onc said I wouldn't lose all my hair, but would have hair thinning, well as I try to be brave, and watched my hair each day get thinner and thinner, I finally broke down in the shower today as I stuffed up the drain with my hair.

I think I'm going to go buy a wig soon, I priced them, and saw they were over $200-$300 for wigs, and wow, that's alot of money, I do love the Italian Fedora hats too, so may just get one of those also, I know it scares my kids at the thought of me being bald, but even though I'm not going to let the cancer take me, I am going to not cry again over my hair again, I got it out, and I'm done.. time to just let it go, those Nioxin products do sound pretty interesting though, I may have to find them in one of the salons here.

Hugsssss!
    ~Donna

Check the cancer Society
    Donna,

Our local American Cancer Society chapter GIVE a wig (and styling help) to cancer survivors. ASK. There are often local charities that help as well...check through your hospital or cancer center. Help is out there without breaking the bank.

Many hugs, Vicki
  • Shayenne
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Check the cancer Society
    Donna,

Our local American Cancer Society chapter GIVE a wig (and styling help) to cancer survivors. ASK. There are often local charities that help as well...check through your hospital or cancer center. Help is out there without breaking the bank.

Many hugs, Vicki

Thanks Vicki!
    I will call them today, and see where to go nefore it's all gone, I hate asking for help, but really don't want to pay that price for a wig. Thanks for the info!

Hugsssss!
    ~Donna
  • Shayenne
    Options
    taraHK said:

haircut
    It's a very emotional time and topic.

For what it's worth, I went for a VERY short haircut (think Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby -- for those of you who are old enough). Posh Spice Victoria Beckham for you younger ones. I get a lot of compliments -- from people who have no idea about my chemo/hair thinning situation.

"Oh you are so brave/bold -- I wish I had the guts to cut my hair so short". Guts? I wanna say -- try .......OK but I don't say that.

Anyway -- just a thought. A GOOD short cut can look terrific.

Tara...
    ... I usually have hair past my waist, but will be going for a medium more look this time, hopefully with some layers to it, up to the shoulders, that will be a big step for me as well, as I never had short hair before, but I really do want a new do for the new me :)

Huggsssss!
    ~Donna
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Tara...
    ... I usually have hair past my waist, but will be going for a medium more look this time, hopefully with some layers to it, up to the shoulders, that will be a big step for me as well, as I never had short hair before, but I really do want a new do for the new me :)

Huggsssss!
    ~Donna

Don't be hasty cutting your hair.
    Shayenne,

My insurance pays up to $500.00 for a wig of my choice. Call your insurance and tell them you are losing hair due to chemo and get a perscription for a "cranial prosthesis" aka a wig.

I got the prescription and went wig shopping. They recommend you do not shave your head on all the wig sites.

BTW - Just finished up 8 treatments of Folfiri with Avastin and have had tremendous hair loss but still have plenty of hair to work with so don't be hasty shaving your head. You may not need to do it.

Here is a link of my hair two weeks ago at The Liver Symposium. I'm dancing with Jim Belushi who came out to entertain us:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akennedy2887/3561955065/in/set-72157618646062844/
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Hair
    My hair started coming out after the 2nd treatment. It was funny, all the dark came out and left only the grey. The grey wasn't very thick so I decided to shave it all off. My daughter and her husband came over and Robin, my daughter's husband shaved her hair, then Gerald, my husband, shaved mine. Then I shaved Gerald's and we went to my son's house where he had already shaved his hair. My grandson wanted to shave his too, but his mother wouldn't let him.
    My whole family shaved their heads in solidarity for me. That is love.

Debbie
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Hair loss
    There are two hospitals here in Little Rock that give wigs and scarfs for free to cancer patients. They match your hair pretty good, too. They were even able to give me a wig that matched my usual cut. It looks really good.