Any middle school teachers? What do you tell parents and students?

Options
2»

Comments

• kathyDDD
    kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Kathy, what a wonderful
    Kathy, what a wonderful "Lebanese stubbornness" you have. You are inspiration to those of us making our way through this journey. Thank YOU!

Thank you
    Thank you so much for your kind words. As I was crying last night over the loss of my hair again, my mom was talking on the phone to a family friend to see how he was progressing with his cancer treatment (esophogial sp?). His wife has to feed him 3 times a day through a feeding tube and he goes for chemo every 5 days. I said through my tears "suck it up buttercup, you could be facing much worse." ALthough I know we all have a right to feel what we do, there is always someone facing much worse who needs our help and prayers. My stubbornness and support system will get me through and I have plenty to share with anyone that can use me for whatever is needed.

Love,
    Kathy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    kathyDDD said:

I truly believe
    I truly believe you are making the right decision. Your students will respect the fact that you trust them enough to share this with them. The support and love they will shower upon you will be fabulous. Sometimes, as teachers, we truly never know the real impact we have on our students. If we are fortunate enough, sometimes we find out through different paths. Although this is a path we would rather not have crossed, we get a chance to see one of the main reasons why we chose this profession. Don't be afraid of the tears and let those around you help. I had the hardest time accepting help, but I now know it's the right thing to do. I'll be thinking of you on Monday and sending you strong vibes and a cyber-space big hug. Like the coffe cup says, "Teaching is a work of heart." You are going to be a fantastic role model for your students and colleagues alike. Please let me know how it goes, either through this site, or my email kferris@cortlandschools.org

Best Wishes for a Safe Journey,
    Kathy

Kathy and Linda
    Thank you for taking on the monumental task of teaching our children. We don't value teachers in our culture and it is a travesty. What could be more important than preparing the next generation to cope with and live in this world? Your example of fortitude and courage in the face of cancer will make a great impression on these children. It will indeed be a life lesson for them -- one of many you have taught.
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    mimivac said:

Kathy and Linda
    Thank you for taking on the monumental task of teaching our children. We don't value teachers in our culture and it is a travesty. What could be more important than preparing the next generation to cope with and live in this world? Your example of fortitude and courage in the face of cancer will make a great impression on these children. It will indeed be a life lesson for them -- one of many you have taught.

I talked with some of my
    I talked with some of my collegues and we're going to start the meeting with three of the guy teachers that work here that are bald (by choice!) and work some kind of funny thing wherein I'm going to "join their club soon." Then, after a few laughs, I'll just lay the cards out -- like you all said -- and answer a few questions for them. I'm also going to tell them that there are some things about privacy and boundaries. (My school is one for kids with learning disablities and some of them are very socially awkward.) I'm going to be brief and basic and try to strike a balance between humor and seriousness. I'm planning on Monday.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    LC815 said:

I talked with some of my
    I talked with some of my collegues and we're going to start the meeting with three of the guy teachers that work here that are bald (by choice!) and work some kind of funny thing wherein I'm going to "join their club soon." Then, after a few laughs, I'll just lay the cards out -- like you all said -- and answer a few questions for them. I'm also going to tell them that there are some things about privacy and boundaries. (My school is one for kids with learning disablities and some of them are very socially awkward.) I'm going to be brief and basic and try to strike a balance between humor and seriousness. I'm planning on Monday.

God bless you LC
    and good luck with your "discussion". I was strong throughout my whole explanation, even adding that they could brag about having a bald headed teacher! Then one of my former students walked in to give me a hug and I fell apart.
    If you cry, then so be it. That's a good lesson also. You don't always have to be strong. You are human! They will admire you either way.
    Please let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you....
  • LC815
    Options
    Mama G said:

God bless you LC
    and good luck with your "discussion". I was strong throughout my whole explanation, even adding that they could brag about having a bald headed teacher! Then one of my former students walked in to give me a hug and I fell apart.
    If you cry, then so be it. That's a good lesson also. You don't always have to be strong. You are human! They will admire you either way.
    Please let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you....

Mama G, you're the best.

Mama G, you're the best.
  • LC815
    Options
    LC815 said:

Mama G, you're the best.

Mama G, you're the best.

Well, we decided to dispense
    Well, we decided to dispense with the humor, and just get right down to brass tacks. The kids were quiet and respectful, and had a couple of questions. Other than that, it's business as usual. All that angst for nothing! I did over hear one boy asking another if cancer was contagious, which the other boy answered, "Yeah, like a broken leg is contagious!"

My dramatic group of Seniors will be in next period. I'm sure we'll spend the whole class talking. And, that's okay.

I've used up all my sick and personal time, but the head of school is taking care of me. I feel pretty lucky (workwise).

First chemo was on Friday. Taxol/Avastin. Yukky Sunday, but much better today.