Oprah today?

Options

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

Thanks, Cat!
    I needed that, and there you were. Thanks for having my back. I'll always have yours, too. Count on it.

To my "3/4 glass full" friend... :-)

Kind regards, 12/25

I feel the same way!
    You know,someone who meant well I'm sure the other day told me that in Germany they shock the tumors,and that completely erased whatever cancer there was. He told me that people were just trying to make money off of it here and that My husband and I should move overseas if I wanted it destroyed once and for all.
    But I know that my onc(like your's ,Susan) is totally devoted to his cancer patients and research-he wears himself ragged and went through divorce partly because of it! I don't believe he or the American Cancer Society,Susan G Komen,(any of the legitimate cancer research sites) would withold a cure or care if they knew it could help us-what do you think clinical trials are for-so they can use us all as guinea pigs for some cruel reason(now don't get any ideas!!)?!
    You know,media and people who really don't know the facts(and I'm not talking about you guys on this site-I'm talking about the guy who told me about Germany and those like him who don't even know this for sure!),should keep quiet and stop trying to unduly scare the rest of us who used to feel comfortable with the care we were getting!! Personally,I told this guy that I was going to stay in Ohio and keep getting great care from doctors and nurses that I trust and take my chances because none of us knows what tomarrow is going to hold anyways! And all he could do is stand there with a surprised look and say nothing!!
    So come on people,yes,we all know that this is a discussion board where you can share your feelings and everything else,but do we really need to have division against each other? I don't think that Susan meant for that at all!! Lets put our energy into getting better and uplifting and encouraging each other!!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Tell Us
    Please keep us posted. I don't have TV at all. Hugs Jxxxxx

No tv?
    Wow J! I don't know if I know anyone that doesn't have a tv. I don't watch it that much, but, I think I would be lost without it. But, maybe not. lol How u doing with that great new job? I am so happy for you!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Cure
    I'm with Kristin and Jeanne on this one. Cancer treatment has come a long way and is a HUGE source of profits for the pharmacutical and health care industries. However, cancer prevention remains an underfunded enterprise. The possible environmental causes of cancer, such as chemical pesticides, plastic byproducts, and chemicals in our water, food, and cosmetic products are all but ignored as possible cancer-causing agents. Now, I'm thrilled that treatment is so advanced right now. Obviously. But, I'm not happy that cancer incidence (especially among the young) continues to rise, even when we account for the natural aging of the population, and that more is not being done to prevent cancer in the first place. Conspiracy? Who knows. But I'm not buying that everyone is out there altruistically working for a cure. Not even the American Cancer Society.

• Jeanne D
    Options

I feel the same way!
    You know,someone who meant well I'm sure the other day told me that in Germany they shock the tumors,and that completely erased whatever cancer there was. He told me that people were just trying to make money off of it here and that My husband and I should move overseas if I wanted it destroyed once and for all.
    But I know that my onc(like your's ,Susan) is totally devoted to his cancer patients and research-he wears himself ragged and went through divorce partly because of it! I don't believe he or the American Cancer Society,Susan G Komen,(any of the legitimate cancer research sites) would withold a cure or care if they knew it could help us-what do you think clinical trials are for-so they can use us all as guinea pigs for some cruel reason(now don't get any ideas!!)?!
    You know,media and people who really don't know the facts(and I'm not talking about you guys on this site-I'm talking about the guy who told me about Germany and those like him who don't even know this for sure!),should keep quiet and stop trying to unduly scare the rest of us who used to feel comfortable with the care we were getting!! Personally,I told this guy that I was going to stay in Ohio and keep getting great care from doctors and nurses that I trust and take my chances because none of us knows what tomarrow is going to hold anyways! And all he could do is stand there with a surprised look and say nothing!!
    So come on people,yes,we all know that this is a discussion board where you can share your feelings and everything else,but do we really need to have division against each other? I don't think that Susan meant for that at all!! Lets put our energy into getting better and uplifting and encouraging each other!!

Hey outdoor girl! I didn't
    Hey outdoor girl! I didn't realize that my statement would cause so much controversy. But, I think it is wonderful that we all have opinions, even if they are different. I don't believe that Kristin, Mimi, Kat or anyone else was accusing the Susan B. Komen foundation or others of withholding a cure. I think it was just a general statement that I, for one, agree with. I think the backlash came when Susan stated she thanked someone for having her back. I think it was just someones opinion posted and someone didn't agree and it appeared to turn into a recess fight. lol I believe we are all in this together, whether we agree on certain things or not. And, if you don't agree, that is fine, state your opinion too, even if it differs. No reason to "take sides" or put someone down because you don't agree, right? I always thought this was like a "safe zone", where we could talk or write anything. And, what a wonderful site to be able to express ourselves..isn't it? We all hope and pray for a cure. Don't we? Love you all! Jeanne
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options

I don't know...
    If one chooses to think only in terms of $ profit - think of the money that could be made with an actual cure.

A local ACS contact once told me that their "unofficial mission statement" (i.e., amongst the employees only) is to work themselves right out of their jobs. Then, they'll all seek employment in the private sector vs. working for a non-profit where they make far less money than they could. And, my own onc is very involved with actually finding a real cure for BC. Once it happens, he might move on to skin cancer. My breast cancer surgeon left our specialty at the end of last year - now focusing on pancreatic cancer surgery, hoping to make inroads there.

Personally, I can't handle a pessimistic perspective, towards much of anything. I need HOPE to continue living each day. Like air, water, food, shelter. I guess I'm a "glass half full" person, not a "glass half empty" one.

Kind regards, Susan

Hmmmmm that depends on if
    Hmmmmm that depends on if the "cure" is actually prevention where there would be virtually little $ to be made. To eliminate, hormone disrupting chemicals from our society would not only cause an uprise from industry, it would also cost them to find alternatives. For instance look at the bisphenol A which Canada is banning from baby products due to it's hormonal effects but I don't think the U.S. is buying the arguments yet. When Bisphenol A was first discovered they were going to use it as a hormone to prevent morning sickness but found DEA worked better and so they freely recommended it to all pregnant women thinking it also created bigger and better babies. Today they are finding that the offspring of those women are at greater risk of vaginal and testicular cancers. But it's OK to use in food products and water bottles. (read sarcasm)

That's just one tiny example. Others are the hormonal effects of pesticides and herbicides, hormones in meat and dairy, fluorescent lights, cell phones,.......etc. The cost to eliminate these would be huge and would not come without a fight.

The most common response I received when asking how I could have gotten BC since no one in my family at all had had any cancers was "I had exceeded my lifetime estrogen load". And when I asked where that came from, I got the sweeping gesture of the environment. I believe that.
    What is it that prevents my tumour suppressor gene from working when it had worked for all my ancestors. What's different from today then it was 50 yrs ago when there were no "light" cigarettes, hard liquor was more prevalent than beer and wine and you used saturated fats for everything and ate lots of red meat, 'cause it was good for you.

Perhaps we should be asking our prospective cancer centres how much $ is spent towards finding cause and prevention. I've heard it's very little.

Maybe I sound like a "half empty glass", but I don't want to see "full" or "empty", just the truth so it can be dealt with. To me hope is truth.

Sorry for rambling.....
    jan
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Oprah show with Christina Applegate
    If you will google The Oprah Winfrey Show there will be a place to type in Christina's name (in show search). It shows pictures and the discussion on breast cancer. Susan Kohmens' sister and other survivors are on there also.

Jadie
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    bfbear said:

Interesting...
    That's an interesting thought, Jeanne. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Debi, how are you doing? I
    Debi, how are you doing? I hope better and I hope you are taking it easy for a change.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Hmmmmm that depends on if
    Hmmmmm that depends on if the "cure" is actually prevention where there would be virtually little $ to be made. To eliminate, hormone disrupting chemicals from our society would not only cause an uprise from industry, it would also cost them to find alternatives. For instance look at the bisphenol A which Canada is banning from baby products due to it's hormonal effects but I don't think the U.S. is buying the arguments yet. When Bisphenol A was first discovered they were going to use it as a hormone to prevent morning sickness but found DEA worked better and so they freely recommended it to all pregnant women thinking it also created bigger and better babies. Today they are finding that the offspring of those women are at greater risk of vaginal and testicular cancers. But it's OK to use in food products and water bottles. (read sarcasm)

That's just one tiny example. Others are the hormonal effects of pesticides and herbicides, hormones in meat and dairy, fluorescent lights, cell phones,.......etc. The cost to eliminate these would be huge and would not come without a fight.

The most common response I received when asking how I could have gotten BC since no one in my family at all had had any cancers was "I had exceeded my lifetime estrogen load". And when I asked where that came from, I got the sweeping gesture of the environment. I believe that.
    What is it that prevents my tumour suppressor gene from working when it had worked for all my ancestors. What's different from today then it was 50 yrs ago when there were no "light" cigarettes, hard liquor was more prevalent than beer and wine and you used saturated fats for everything and ate lots of red meat, 'cause it was good for you.

Perhaps we should be asking our prospective cancer centres how much $ is spent towards finding cause and prevention. I've heard it's very little.

Maybe I sound like a "half empty glass", but I don't want to see "full" or "empty", just the truth so it can be dealt with. To me hope is truth.

Sorry for rambling.....
    jan

Cure
    I think a cure is what we all hope and pray for, a cure for cancer of every kind. It is just mind boggling that it isn't there yet, or is it. Hopefully someday, someday soon.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Jadie said:

Oprah show with Christina Applegate
    If you will google The Oprah Winfrey Show there will be a place to type in Christina's name (in show search). It shows pictures and the discussion on breast cancer. Susan Kohmens' sister and other survivors are on there also.

Jadie

oprah
    This is the second time I have to post this--page error.

I went to oprah.com and clicked on Monday and it brought up yesterdays show and was able to read the dialogue from the show and then after I went to After the show and watched the video of the Q&A which may or may not help but the newbies might get some answers or at least some questions that they can bring to their doctors. Questions included the BRCA testing and triple negative.

Hope this helps some.
    Hugs,
    Margo
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options

I feel the same way!

You should have asked that
    You should have asked that guy if he saw the Farrah doumentary.I think she might beg to differ
    on those wonderful German cures. I choose to trust my docs. implicitely. I have to constantly stop my girlfriend from second guessing my treatment and wellfare. She means well,but her negativity isn't helping my mental condition, and I feel
    that I am in very capable, caring hands.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

oprah

I went to oprah.com and clicked on Monday and it brought up yesterdays show and was able to read the dialogue from the show and then after I went to After the show and watched the video of the Q&A which may or may not help but the newbies might get some answers or at least some questions that they can bring to their doctors. Questions included the BRCA testing and triple negative.

Hope this helps some.
    Hugs,
    Margo

Thanks Margo. I will go to
    Thanks Margo. I will go to her website and see if I can get it still. I missed it yesterday. Thank you again!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

No tv?
    Wow J! I don't know if I know anyone that doesn't have a tv. I don't watch it that much, but, I think I would be lost without it. But, maybe not. lol How u doing with that great new job? I am so happy for you!

No Telly here
    Hey Jeanne, We are usually to pissed to watch it at night anyway..........LOL........I am loving my job, thanks for asking... My first customer today spent $344.00, the second $160.00 I can't believe it, I mean, I am an AVID gardener but........Wow
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kylez said:

Thanks Margo. I will go to
    Thanks Margo. I will go to her website and see if I can get it still. I missed it yesterday. Thank you again!

Ellen/ Oprah
    They are just sooooooooo fake, they make me want to puke........Sorry to all the fans BUT...............

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

No Telly here
    Hey Jeanne, We are usually to pissed to watch it at night anyway..........LOL........I am loving my job, thanks for asking... My first customer today spent $344.00, the second $160.00 I can't believe it, I mean, I am an AVID gardener but........Wow
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Tasha, what do you
    Hey Tasha, what do you recommend for an area that floods. We're in a zone 3-4. Can I ask you all my gardening questions?? Post some pics of you at work, or some of your favourite combinations. Would love to see them.
    jan
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

I feel the same way!

division
    I don't see that any division is being caused by discussion and even disagreement. All of that is healthy and interesting. Our energy should be put into whatever is right for us. This site is not only for uplifting and encouraging, but also for discussion and debate. I don't mean to sound brusque, really. These are complicated issues and there is bound to be differences of opinion. I think that's great. I want to hear dissenting views and do not at all feel that we shouldn't engage in spirited discussion on this forum.

Mimi
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Debi, how are you doing? I
    Debi, how are you doing? I hope better and I hope you are taking it easy for a change.

Hi JeanneD
    I am mostly resting and taking my pain meds....with great difficulty (mentally). It's really hard to take care of ME.
    Thanks for asking! You're so sweet.

Gentle hugs,
    Debi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

oprah

Hope this helps some.
    Hugs,
    Margo

Yes Margo, that does work.
    Yes Margo, that does work. Thanks for posting it. It really was a good show. I am sure that several that didn't see it can go to Oprah's site and see it.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    bfbear said:

Hi JeanneD
    I am mostly resting and taking my pain meds....with great difficulty (mentally). It's really hard to take care of ME.
    Thanks for asking! You're so sweet.

Gentle hugs,
    Debi

Debi, I am glad to hear that
    Debi, I am glad to hear that you are resting and taking your pain meds. You are too hard on yourself..I wish I could help you more. I have worried about you. I know this hasn't been easy for you. Please take care Debi! Love, Jeanne
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

You should have asked that
    You should have asked that guy if he saw the Farrah doumentary.I think she might beg to differ
    on those wonderful German cures. I choose to trust my docs. implicitely. I have to constantly stop my girlfriend from second guessing my treatment and wellfare. She means well,but her negativity isn't helping my mental condition, and I feel
    that I am in very capable, caring hands.

I know exactly
    what you're saying! That's exactly what I thought when he told me that! And I feel the same way that you do!
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    mimivac said:

division
    I don't see that any division is being caused by discussion and even disagreement. All of that is healthy and interesting. Our energy should be put into whatever is right for us. This site is not only for uplifting and encouraging, but also for discussion and debate. I don't mean to sound brusque, really. These are complicated issues and there is bound to be differences of opinion. I think that's great. I want to hear dissenting views and do not at all feel that we shouldn't engage in spirited discussion on this forum.

Mimi

Sorry
    I shouldn't have used the word division. You're right,we are all welcome to have our own views. Things just got a little heated for a while and I felt like poor Susan was getting a little hurt and I didn't quite care for that!