Immune system and travel to third world countries

Options
digginlife
digginlife Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My fiancée is a twelve year breast cancer survivor who is doing research for her PhD. Her topic involves understanding the cultures of the following third world countries, Ghana, Angola, Sierra Leona, Liberia, Guinea, and Senegal. She has been told twice by two different doctors, once in 1997 and again in 2003 that travel to any third world country was not recommended. We have a doctors appointment set for next week and we will be asking about third world travel again. I would like to know if anyone knows of any new research or data that has been published on the subject of third world travel for those with auto immune problems?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I found this on the Center
    I found this on the Center for Disease Control website: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh9-Immunocompromised.aspx
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Just a thought....
    In view of the current threatened pandemic, she might want to consider delaying ALL travel plans for awhile if at all possible.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I am slightly confused by your post...
    Had to read it twice. Two different doctors? Oncologists?

Is your question in regards to her breast cancer, 12 years ago? (Obviously, she's in remission.) What do you mean by "auto immune problems"? Does she suffer from this type of condition?

A patient currently undergoing chemotherapy must always certainly take extreme precautions against becoming ill. Is she in some kind of treatment at the moment?

Did you "Google" for information first, before joining this group? We are survivors & caregivers here - not scientists & analysts.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this site is just weird
    I think you are on the wrong site. You need to google for you information or ask the doctor. I read your post several times and I still don't understand it. lol
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Does she have a separate
    Does she have a separate condition that compromises her immune system? If she had cancer treatment 12 years ago, then that as far as I know would not have any bearing.