Let me introduce myself

Options
fauxma
fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I actually think I posted to one of the subjects before but I never really introduced myself. I am new to breast cancer but not new to cancer. I had endo cancer Stage 2B, grade 3 in 2000. I had a hysterectomy and radiation treatments (external and internal) and have been NED for 9 years. In 2002 I had bladder cancer. It was very small and it was removed during the cystocopy and I have been NED for 6 1/2 years. In 2003, I had a couple of squamous skin cancers removed. And that has been fine also. I do all my follow ups (yearly now) and always have my mammograms done at the same time I go for my endo re-check. In 2005, I had to go back for additional films and then had a biopsy on my right breast. There were microcalcifications that were suspicious. Happily they were just that, no cancer and they put in a clip and I continued with my regular check ups. In early October of 2008, I again did my regular mammos and they called to do additional films on both breasts. I figured more calcifications. After these were done, I got a call from my doctor that they wanted to do biopsies on both breasts and I still thought calcification because what are the odds that I would get cancer in both breasts at the same time and in the same location. He sent me the report from the radiologist and being a research freak when it comes to anything medical, I went online and punched in the information. I saw that the description wasn't calcifications but solid masses, both very small but not cysts. My report said that they recommended ultrasound guided biopsies for both. When I went for the biopsies, they were able to do the right breast but they felt that the left would be better done stereotactically so we scheduled that for the following week. Two days later my doctor called and said that it was a cancer in the right breast, small but IDC. He and I discussed the possibility that the left would be cancer also. But he also said it could be atypical hyperplasia and it was. I then saw a breast coordinator and then my surgeon. I had my surgery (bi-lateral wire guided lumpectomies)the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. They did both breasts because sometimes there is DCIS along with atypical hyperplasia and she wanted to remove the area in question and have further pathology on it. I had a sentinel node biopsy done on the right side as well. They got clean margins on the left breast. On the right breast, she had pathology check the margins while I was under and she had to take more tissue so that avoided the closing up and then having to go back for more surgery. Good for her and better for me. The final diagnosis was left breast .5 cm area of atypical hyperplasia but not cancer, right breast 1 cm IDC, no node involvement, ER+< PR+, HER neu. So our plan was to do radiation (30 + 5 boosts), start armidex for 5 years. When I went to meet with the oncologist, she mentioned the TailorX clinical study and said I was a good candidate. So they sent the sample to them for the oncotype DX and then based on the number I would be put into one of three groups. I am sure most of you know about this but for those that don't the oncotype DX score can help determine if chemo would be benefical in preventing recurrence. The lower the score the better. They know that women with scores of 0-10 would receive very little benefit from adding chemo. And scores over 25 would benefit from chemo. The reason for the study is that they don't really know if chemo is beneficial to those with scores between 11 and 25. Right now woman in that range, really pretty much have to decide with their oncologist whether to do the chemo. As you all know chemo is hard on the body, mind, soul and other health of someone with cancer. So they want to refine the numbers. So the group that has scores between 11 and 25 are being randomized (luck of the draw) into 2 groups. One group will do hormone, radiation only and the other will do chemo, hormone and radiation. They will study them for 10 years and this will help determine recurrences in one group vs the other and that will enable them to better decide scores vs treatment. They will continue to follow the groups for 20 years. I had a score of 21 and was put in the hormone, radiation only group. I would have had a hard time deciding chemo or not if I was not in this study and I probably would have gone with chemo but I feel this study is so important and if I should have a recurrence then I can do chemo and whatever else I need to then. This is so long and I apologize but I wanted to truly let you know what I have experienced for far. Now that you know about my cancer let me tell you about me. I am 60, happily married to a great guy, have 1 beautiful daughter, 1 great son in law, and two wonderful grandchildren (4 year old boy and 6 month old girl). I have a good life and cherish every day. I also feel so blessed to have found this site. I have been reading your posts for several months and you are witty, brave, honest, caring people. I have heard such inspirational thoughts, heard the support that you give each other, heard from caring supportive husbands etc. I will be popping up now that I have made myself known and no I won't ramble like this in the future. Thank you for being here.
Stef

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Stef, somebody has to ramble
    Stef, somebody has to ramble to make up for my short replies. I like to paint too.
  • fauxma
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Stef, somebody has to ramble
    Stef, somebody has to ramble to make up for my short replies. I like to paint too.

That was my best year. It
    That was my best year. It was downhill from there. And what a cute little doggy and smart too, quoting from Oliver Twist.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome Stef to the club no
    Welcome Stef to the club no one wants to join. LOL. Thanks for the info. I also was dx with IDC Stage 1 Grade 3 in June 2007, so went through mastectomy, chemo and no radiation. Hope to see you post more often. Hugs, Lili
  • EllieJV
    EllieJV Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I love a great ramble! ;-)
    I love a great ramble! ;-) Thanks for giving your history. It just proves to me once again, this group IS a very caring, and supportive group. And, VERY STRONG, too! Ellie
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    EllieJV said:

I love a great ramble! ;-)
    I love a great ramble! ;-) Thanks for giving your history. It just proves to me once again, this group IS a very caring, and supportive group. And, VERY STRONG, too! Ellie

Introduction
    Stef, it is nice to be able to read someone's history, and see exactly where they are in their treatment and journey. We all have a story behind us, and some are just filled a little fuller than others. I think your glass is at the rim from what you posted, and I am so sorry that it continues for you. One thing I have learned from this site is that all here are compassionate with everyone, and that there is always a willing ear to listen when you just want to ramble....that is what we do. No one wants to be here, but because of the willingness of these wonderful people to share themselves, someone's journey is made a little easier. We look forward to hearing from you more often, and keep us posted on your progress as you go through treatment for this current cancer. Hugs and good thoughts your way.

Judy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    It's nice to meet you. You've had quite a journey through the various cancers in your life. And I thought it was tough dealing with just one! Good luck on your trial; I hope everything goes wonderfully for you. You seem like a tough woman.

Mimi
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Suspicious
    Hi Stef,

After reading your history I wondered if you have ever had genetic testing done. For example, HNPCC (hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer) also carries high risk for liver, endometrial, bladder, kidney and some brain cancers, along with the colon cancer it is named for. Both of my sisters are also carrying the gene, and now one of them has presented with advanced breast cancer.

So I was just wondering if you had any tests done for any aberrant genetic signals.

Apart from that, I salute you!!!! You are a true survivor and your strength and perseverance through everything is a shining example of what is possible.

God Bless,
    Kirsten
  • fauxma
    Options
    kmygil said:

Suspicious
    Hi Stef,

After reading your history I wondered if you have ever had genetic testing done. For example, HNPCC (hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer) also carries high risk for liver, endometrial, bladder, kidney and some brain cancers, along with the colon cancer it is named for. Both of my sisters are also carrying the gene, and now one of them has presented with advanced breast cancer.

So I was just wondering if you had any tests done for any aberrant genetic signals.

Apart from that, I salute you!!!! You are a true survivor and your strength and perseverance through everything is a shining example of what is possible.

God Bless,
    Kirsten

I haven't had any genetic
    I haven't had any genetic testing done. That something I will ask my doctor about. I do know that I had risk factors for both the breast and uterine cancer and that there is a possibility that the bladder cancer was a result of the pelvic radiation but still it is an avenue I could explore. Thanks for the information.
    Stef
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    kmygil said:

Suspicious
    Hi Stef,

God Bless,
    Kirsten

Hi Stef,
    Welcome! I also live in a small but supportive town their support has been amazing..but most of them have not been through our battles. It is so good to have this support on-line
    to be able to share our stories and answer our questions. I am glad you have joined these amazingly special ladies in pink!
    God bless.
    Jackie