Options
2»

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Surgery is scheduled
    I saw my awesome surgeon yesterday. After a visual exam with some kind of torture tool, he did confirm that FRED is much, much smaller...although not gone completely (darn!). He wants my body to heal as much as possible, so the surgery is scheduled for the week of Feb 2...don't know they day yet, they are working with the hospital to get me in. He was cautiously encouraging, there is a possibility he can save function and not have to do a colostomy. He visibly relaxed when I said that I wanted quality of life, not guarantees of how I use the bathroom. So the plan is to start with the laproscopic surgery, and then if he doesn't have enough room, margins, etc, go ahead and open me up and complete whatever he has to do. Even though my tumor is low, low in the rectum, I was told they will also take a section of colon out to really look over the lymph nodes. So far, no one is expecting any spread, but until they get in there and do the paths, who knows? I have the utmost confidence in this guy, and his team.

Oh, and he is going to change my port out while I am under. I have had nothing but trouble with it. He said I will get something called a Super Port, and then I can have blood draws, etc, through it as well. Surprisingly, he said that it will go in right where the old one is, unless there is too much scar tissue, etc.

So -we now have a NEW plan! I am ready to fight.

Vicki

Yay for a plan
    This sounds very encouraging! We'll be praying for you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Surgery is scheduled
    I saw my awesome surgeon yesterday. After a visual exam with some kind of torture tool, he did confirm that FRED is much, much smaller...although not gone completely (darn!). He wants my body to heal as much as possible, so the surgery is scheduled for the week of Feb 2...don't know they day yet, they are working with the hospital to get me in. He was cautiously encouraging, there is a possibility he can save function and not have to do a colostomy. He visibly relaxed when I said that I wanted quality of life, not guarantees of how I use the bathroom. So the plan is to start with the laproscopic surgery, and then if he doesn't have enough room, margins, etc, go ahead and open me up and complete whatever he has to do. Even though my tumor is low, low in the rectum, I was told they will also take a section of colon out to really look over the lymph nodes. So far, no one is expecting any spread, but until they get in there and do the paths, who knows? I have the utmost confidence in this guy, and his team.

Oh, and he is going to change my port out while I am under. I have had nothing but trouble with it. He said I will get something called a Super Port, and then I can have blood draws, etc, through it as well. Surprisingly, he said that it will go in right where the old one is, unless there is too much scar tissue, etc.

Vicki

Sounds like really good news!
    Vicki, you have been fighting so hard and it sounds like your work is paying off! I am glad to hear you are happy with and trust your surgeon; that is going to prove to be very important. I pray your surgery will go well and that you have a quick recovery.
    mary
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Surgery is scheduled

Vicki

Exact same path as I had...
    I really think we're twins... Well, except for the normal things that make us different. We're traveling down the same paths almost to the tee...I had laproscopic surgery and it was a breeze, hopefully that will be the only course you'll have to take. Now where we're different is that I hope your margins are good enough to prevent an ostomy. I don't have any issues with mine its just hard getting your mind use to it being there. No pain with it at all from the beginning. Its just a little difference in your body that will pass in time. You will do very well young grasshopper !!!! Keep up the chin and the good outlook and follow me to NED..............God Bless you Sweetheart........
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Surgery is scheduled

Vicki

Good news!!
    Way to go, Vicki!! It sounds like everything is going the way it should and your surgeon has a plan with your best interests as a priority. It makes all the difference in the world if you trust your surgeon!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Exact same path as I had...
    I really think we're twins... Well, except for the normal things that make us different. We're traveling down the same paths almost to the tee...I had laproscopic surgery and it was a breeze, hopefully that will be the only course you'll have to take. Now where we're different is that I hope your margins are good enough to prevent an ostomy. I don't have any issues with mine its just hard getting your mind use to it being there. No pain with it at all from the beginning. Its just a little difference in your body that will pass in time. You will do very well young grasshopper !!!! Keep up the chin and the good outlook and follow me to NED..............God Bless you Sweetheart........

Thanks Twin!
    But I think I am older....even for a young grasshopper! LOL!

I hope I don't have an ostomy, but if I do it's not the end of the world. Like I told the surgeon, I want QUALITY of life first and foremost. And he is the best (not just my say-so - but rated the best colorectal surgeon on Colorado by the medical community.) I had no less than 5 recommendations to see him. So, my confidence level is very high.

Vicki
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Shrinkage and surgery
    Dear Vicki:

We entered this battle near the same time. I am very encouraged by your story of success.

I have a CT scan this friday after many weeks of Chemo to determine if surgery is next. I did not have radiation so our treatment was different.

I have hoped and prayed for a story like yours (Can't find the original tumor!). Good luck with the surgery. I too hope for no colostomy but will adjust to whatever needs to be done.

Best wishes!

Mike
  • VickiCO
    Options
    menright said:

Shrinkage and surgery
    Dear Vicki:

We entered this battle near the same time. I am very encouraged by your story of success.

I have a CT scan this friday after many weeks of Chemo to determine if surgery is next. I did not have radiation so our treatment was different.

I have hoped and prayed for a story like yours (Can't find the original tumor!). Good luck with the surgery. I too hope for no colostomy but will adjust to whatever needs to be done.

Best wishes!

Mike

Hi Mike!
    I was wondering how you are doing. I am praying hard that your tumor is gone...or at least as small as Fred. I had radiation because mine is in the rectum...usually (I was told) they don't do the radiation if it's in the colon. Count your blessings! LOL! Those burns and the extreme exhaustion are hard to take...but we are on the road to NED now! I can feel it.

Good luck Friday. Let us know, OK?

Vicki
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Hi Mike!
    I was wondering how you are doing. I am praying hard that your tumor is gone...or at least as small as Fred. I had radiation because mine is in the rectum...usually (I was told) they don't do the radiation if it's in the colon. Count your blessings! LOL! Those burns and the extreme exhaustion are hard to take...but we are on the road to NED now! I can feel it.

Good luck Friday. Let us know, OK?

Vicki

Radiation is Next
    Vicki:

I just found out that now I enter into phase 2 of treatment which will be 5-weeks of daily radiation coupled with daily Xeloda. This should shrink the tumor to little or nothing and then surgery after some rest for the body.

I had hoped for a story like yours. No such luck. Will just beat the beast with a little radiation. I have to admit, your stories or naseau and burning concern me. I will just take it as it comes.

Rest up and good luck with your surgery.

Mike
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Surgery is scheduled

Vicki

surgery
    I'll be praying for you. I to had a low polyp. I ended up with a resection and a temporary ileostomy. I learned to manage the bag just fine and it spared from the diarrhea while I was undergoing chemo. The bag was on 10 months and then reversed. Hopefully your new port won't give you any trouble, the one I had never did, it sure saved my veins. My last chemo treatment was oct 31,07. Cancer free now. We're all pulling for you.
  • VickiCO
    Options
    menright said:

Radiation is Next
    Vicki:

I just found out that now I enter into phase 2 of treatment which will be 5-weeks of daily radiation coupled with daily Xeloda. This should shrink the tumor to little or nothing and then surgery after some rest for the body.

I had hoped for a story like yours. No such luck. Will just beat the beast with a little radiation. I have to admit, your stories or naseau and burning concern me. I will just take it as it comes.

Rest up and good luck with your surgery.

Mike

Don't worry...
    Everyone is different. Let's pray that you will breeze through the radiation. I think the combo of 5FU and radiation did me in.

Keep fighting...

Vicki
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Don't worry...
    Everyone is different. Let's pray that you will breeze through the radiation. I think the combo of 5FU and radiation did me in.

Keep fighting...

Vicki

Take hold of your strength
    I had the same cocktail as Vicki and I'm here to tell ya that while uncomfortable, you're stronger than you think. You might be uncomfortable or even downright miserable for a bit, but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. I look back and I'm not the same as I was before the surgery but I'm a WHOLE LOT BETTER than I was in March when I had the last of my chemo and radiation. Last year at Christmas time I could only shop for 15 minutes at a time before I ran out of energy (I had 6 kids to shop for). Now I'm on the other side and you will be too. Be patient with yourself and your symptoms and know that you will get through this! If it's too much for you, talk to your doctor about making some treatment changes.

Go Mike!!

Jorie
  • VickiCO
    Options
    Thanks Jorie!
    You said it better than I did.

Mike, I am actually doing well now. Still tired, but the burns are healed and the nausea is gone. I even went out to dinner with hubby a couple of nights ago. Baby steps. And remember, my tumor is smaller because of the radiation, so surgery will be much easier.

Don't give in to it. You will do fine. I know how tough you are.

Vicki
  • VickiCO
    Options
    tiny one said:

surgery
    I'll be praying for you. I to had a low polyp. I ended up with a resection and a temporary ileostomy. I learned to manage the bag just fine and it spared from the diarrhea while I was undergoing chemo. The bag was on 10 months and then reversed. Hopefully your new port won't give you any trouble, the one I had never did, it sure saved my veins. My last chemo treatment was oct 31,07. Cancer free now. We're all pulling for you.

Thanks
    My tumor was 4cm by 1.5 cm initially (well beyond the polyp stage unfortunately), and right inside the opening, so I am not sure they can avoid a permanent ostomy...but I can still hope! Thanks for the encouragement.

Vicki