UPDATE FOR HOP

Options
2»

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

SURVIVOR
    Gosh, that's a great way of putting it. He's a survivor without realizing it. I'll have to tell him what you said. Thanks so much

Marygale

Yup...even the American Cancer Society agrees...
    From the day he was diagnosed...

A 'club' of over half a million-and growing!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Hi Marygale,
    You and Hop

Hi Marygale,
    You and Hop will get through this. What an overwhelming day you both had!
    So many have already commented with words of encouragement, so I just want to echo what they've said. You'll get through it all- so many on this board are evidence that it can be done!
    Merry Christmas and take care-
    God bless,
    Lisa
  • captainhop
    captainhop Member Posts: 156
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Hi Marygale,
    You and Hop

Hi Marygale,
    You and Hop will get through this. What an overwhelming day you both had!
    So many have already commented with words of encouragement, so I just want to echo what they've said. You'll get through it all- so many on this board are evidence that it can be done!
    Merry Christmas and take care-
    God bless,
    Lisa

LISA
    Yes, it seems that everybody is so upbeat, and at first I couldn't understand that. But, now I do. You're survivors and I'm PROUD of each and every one of you. You all have given us so much hope and a stronger will to fight....and fight it we will. I know it'll be hard for us, especially Hop.

Can anyone comment on how hard it was to start feeling used to, or comfortable with the Colostomy? I believe this is #1 on Hop's mind. Right now anyway....

Thanks again for encouraging us.
    BLESS YOU
    Marygale
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

LISA
    Yes, it seems that everybody is so upbeat, and at first I couldn't understand that. But, now I do. You're survivors and I'm PROUD of each and every one of you. You all have given us so much hope and a stronger will to fight....and fight it we will. I know it'll be hard for us, especially Hop.

Can anyone comment on how hard it was to start feeling used to, or comfortable with the Colostomy? I believe this is #1 on Hop's mind. Right now anyway....

Thanks again for encouraging us.
    BLESS YOU
    Marygale

Yep.....ostomy to go right here
    I have a permanent sigmoid ostomy and it is nothing now for me to take care of....The sexual part is a little embarrassing because its kind of unusual to be naked and have a bag hanging down your front. OK I just tell the wife its a sack lunch and move on. Seriously, you have to come to terms with it. It is a major adjustment in your life as mine is/was. Sometimes I get upset at having it and knowing it will be there from now on but manipulating it isn't any problem at all now. It is just something there that has taken something else's place. At least its where we can see it now so nothings left behind...LOL... Your ostomy nurse will provide you with everything you need to get started and if you run into any snags at all you just pop in here and we'll lead you down the right path...The only problem I have with it is never knowing when its going to spout off (fart) so I generally keep my hand somewhere close to it just out of habit. They say to watch your diet and that helps. Hmmm, I don't, I eat everything in sight. Chili is a great musical meal, so is onions on a hamburger. Salad, another favorite that you can sing jingles bells with when it gets started. Your ostomy is only as bad or good as you make it. It is a part of you and it is also considered a "prothesis".....It will become a part of you before you know it, you will be fine with it.........God Bless ya......
  • captainhop
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Yep.....ostomy to go right here
    I have a permanent sigmoid ostomy and it is nothing now for me to take care of....The sexual part is a little embarrassing because its kind of unusual to be naked and have a bag hanging down your front. OK I just tell the wife its a sack lunch and move on. Seriously, you have to come to terms with it. It is a major adjustment in your life as mine is/was. Sometimes I get upset at having it and knowing it will be there from now on but manipulating it isn't any problem at all now. It is just something there that has taken something else's place. At least its where we can see it now so nothings left behind...LOL... Your ostomy nurse will provide you with everything you need to get started and if you run into any snags at all you just pop in here and we'll lead you down the right path...The only problem I have with it is never knowing when its going to spout off (fart) so I generally keep my hand somewhere close to it just out of habit. They say to watch your diet and that helps. Hmmm, I don't, I eat everything in sight. Chili is a great musical meal, so is onions on a hamburger. Salad, another favorite that you can sing jingles bells with when it gets started. Your ostomy is only as bad or good as you make it. It is a part of you and it is also considered a "prothesis".....It will become a part of you before you know it, you will be fine with it.........God Bless ya......

YEP...OSTOMY
    Hey thanks so much for the info. That is the most detailed information we've received so far regarding the ostomy....I really appreciate it. Printing this out so Hop can read it . Gosh, when did you have this done? Seems you got used to it right quick like and are comfortable with it. As for the "farts", Hop will have a ball with that and the grandsons will pick right up on it too. This is a family of mostly males and they all have a great sense of humor..........HELPFUL.

Thanks again, so much for the guiding information.........NOW....we just want to get this thing over with and on our road to recovery and healing. We'll know more after the 2 scans and that's a little scarey.........but, yep, I remember....One Day At A Time..Okay...

any more helpful info is greatly appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE TO YOU AND YOURS,

Marygale
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

YEP...OSTOMY
    Hey thanks so much for the info. That is the most detailed information we've received so far regarding the ostomy....I really appreciate it. Printing this out so Hop can read it . Gosh, when did you have this done? Seems you got used to it right quick like and are comfortable with it. As for the "farts", Hop will have a ball with that and the grandsons will pick right up on it too. This is a family of mostly males and they all have a great sense of humor..........HELPFUL.

Thanks again, so much for the guiding information.........NOW....we just want to get this thing over with and on our road to recovery and healing. We'll know more after the 2 scans and that's a little scarey.........but, yep, I remember....One Day At A Time..Okay...

any more helpful info is greatly appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE TO YOU AND YOURS,

Marygale

ostomy
    I have had it since July 15th of this year.....
  • captainhop
    Options
    Buzzard said:

ostomy
    I have had it since July 15th of this year.....

OSTOMY
    LORD LUV A DUCK ! ! ! That's only 5 months and you seem so cheerful and upbeat, not to mention being comfortable with it. Certainly hope Hop gets along that well, physically, mentally and emotionally.

GOOD JOB...PROUD OF YOU

Marygale