Would appreciate your thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

I've been looking on the
    I've been looking on the internet to confirm the Vitamin D on an empty stomach and can't seem to find anything. But now I see it was a nurse that told you and I have to say that my experience with nurses is: I would trust them to save my life but I wouldn't ask them about vitamins, supplements or nutrition. That's just a generalized statement, there are probably tons that have actually specialized in it, but generally speaking............so hopefully you can lead me to some information on the Vitamin D.

I actually went off my multi vitamin because of what you've found. And when I thought about it it didn't make alot of sense. The RDI of all the vitamins and minerals we are to intake in one day are taken in one shot. Then I came across the A interfering with D which you need for the Calcium. That was in an article about how ~10,000 IU of A on a regular basis can make us susceptible to hip fractures. They figure it's because it inhibits the D. Crazy! Then we see A&D sold together.

I don't know of any good site to answer these questions on what to take with what. I do know it's complicated and for me I do what I know until I know more. I hope someone knows of a site and posts it.

One thing I was doing is tracking my meals on nutritiondata.com and at the end of the day see what I'm missing and take that as a separate supplement. A little bit of work but very interesting. To complicate things more then you have phytic acid in grains that either bind or inhibit calcium absorption and oxalic acid in spinach, raspberries and many other fruits and veggies that also tie up calcium. What to do, what to do :)

Good luck to you with your investigative work.
    jan

Vitamin D
    Jan, I have read your concerns regarding vitamins, and would like to pass along information given to me by my oncologist. He suggested Vitamin D3 - Cholecalciferol, 1000mg per day. This gives added ability for the calcium to absorb into the body, and reduced side effects of the AI that I am taking. I have been taking this for about two weeks, and haven't noticed much of a difference, but did want to give you the information so that you can do your own research if you like. Maybe it takes longer for it to begin to do its job, and this is the only added suggestion I have had since starting the AI 90 days ago. Hope this helps.

Judy
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options

Vitamin D
    Jan, I have read your concerns regarding vitamins, and would like to pass along information given to me by my oncologist. He suggested Vitamin D3 - Cholecalciferol, 1000mg per day. This gives added ability for the calcium to absorb into the body, and reduced side effects of the AI that I am taking. I have been taking this for about two weeks, and haven't noticed much of a difference, but did want to give you the information so that you can do your own research if you like. Maybe it takes longer for it to begin to do its job, and this is the only added suggestion I have had since starting the AI 90 days ago. Hope this helps.

Judy

Hi Judy, I'm taking 2000 IU
    Hi Judy, I'm taking 2000 IU of Vitamin D. I'll know by the 4th what my levels are. I'm not on an AI just yet but would be very interested to know how it helps your aches and pains. I've been off Tamoxifen since Sept 23 and I am really starting to feel good. But alas, this can't last as I need to go on something. I'll know more when I see my doc on the 4th, but in the meantime I'm enjoying life more and more. Thanks for your help.

hugs
    jan
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Hi Judy, I'm taking 2000 IU
    Hi Judy, I'm taking 2000 IU of Vitamin D. I'll know by the 4th what my levels are. I'm not on an AI just yet but would be very interested to know how it helps your aches and pains. I've been off Tamoxifen since Sept 23 and I am really starting to feel good. But alas, this can't last as I need to go on something. I'll know more when I see my doc on the 4th, but in the meantime I'm enjoying life more and more. Thanks for your help.

hugs
    jan

Dosage
    When I started the vitamin D stuff, the nurse had my blood level checked. I was floored that it was low because I took the calcium with vitamin D as well as a multi vitamin with some D, Igot outside some every week, and I drank my 3 to 4 glasses of skim milk fortified with vitamins A and D every day... well, I live in Delaware and the sun doesn't make vitamin D this far north from September till April. The stuff in milk is D2 and D3 is better absorbed in the body so I wasn't getting much from milk. And the calcium supplement and multi just wasn't enough. The prescription vitamin was expensive, but you only took it once a week. When I went on the over-the-counter stuff, the 1000 IU didn't work as well at least as far as pain relief went. So I decided to up it just a bit. I take 2 pills-each 1000 IU--every other day. That works just as well as the prescription one did on pain relief and so far no yucky side effects. However, I am going to have the doctor check out my level again in December at the end of the month to see if I'm in the okay range.

So far, delving into the research is just messing with my mind. I did, however, find something that suggested that vitamin D should not be taken with anything high fiber. Every meal I eat has fiber in it, so maybe that's why the nurse said for me to take it on an empty stomach. I'm still looking for a chart that will give me the facts on how to optimize vitamins and minerals the best. Let me know if you find one.

C. Abbott
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    cabbott said:

Dosage
    When I started the vitamin D stuff, the nurse had my blood level checked. I was floored that it was low because I took the calcium with vitamin D as well as a multi vitamin with some D, Igot outside some every week, and I drank my 3 to 4 glasses of skim milk fortified with vitamins A and D every day... well, I live in Delaware and the sun doesn't make vitamin D this far north from September till April. The stuff in milk is D2 and D3 is better absorbed in the body so I wasn't getting much from milk. And the calcium supplement and multi just wasn't enough. The prescription vitamin was expensive, but you only took it once a week. When I went on the over-the-counter stuff, the 1000 IU didn't work as well at least as far as pain relief went. So I decided to up it just a bit. I take 2 pills-each 1000 IU--every other day. That works just as well as the prescription one did on pain relief and so far no yucky side effects. However, I am going to have the doctor check out my level again in December at the end of the month to see if I'm in the okay range.

So far, delving into the research is just messing with my mind. I did, however, find something that suggested that vitamin D should not be taken with anything high fiber. Every meal I eat has fiber in it, so maybe that's why the nurse said for me to take it on an empty stomach. I'm still looking for a chart that will give me the facts on how to optimize vitamins and minerals the best. Let me know if you find one.

C. Abbott

I would think that D being fat soluble it would be best taken with a fat. What do you think?
    I haven't heard anything about the d/fiber connection, very interesting. I don't tend to take my calcium in the am cause that's when I use lots of grains (phytic acid)so I usually end up taking it at noon with some protein. I went to an osteo clinic a while back and she was happy to see that I was taking B6. They figure that's important too. God, this calcium is soooooo picky. Vit K, boron, zinc, protein, vitamin c all play a part. I'm trying to keep my Vit K up, 1 cup of broccoli brings it up pretty good.

Yes, definitely, this stuff can mess with your mind. When I think of my ancestors who didn't know really anything about vits and supplements and they did far better than me. Drinking and smoking and eating lots of red meat and 1 serving of veggies a day and here I get this dreaded disease. Go figure!! Should have drank and smoked more :)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

I would think that D being fat soluble it would be best taken with a fat. What do you think?
    I haven't heard anything about the d/fiber connection, very interesting. I don't tend to take my calcium in the am cause that's when I use lots of grains (phytic acid)so I usually end up taking it at noon with some protein. I went to an osteo clinic a while back and she was happy to see that I was taking B6. They figure that's important too. God, this calcium is soooooo picky. Vit K, boron, zinc, protein, vitamin c all play a part. I'm trying to keep my Vit K up, 1 cup of broccoli brings it up pretty good.

Yes, definitely, this stuff can mess with your mind. When I think of my ancestors who didn't know really anything about vits and supplements and they did far better than me. Drinking and smoking and eating lots of red meat and 1 serving of veggies a day and here I get this dreaded disease. Go figure!! Should have drank and smoked more :)

Health, Shmelth!!!!
    You've got something there, Phoenix!!! :-) I have often thought of my relatives too~ farmers who ate butter, bacon by the ton, 3 and 4 eggs at a sitting, smoked, drank coffee so strong you could stand a spoon up in it~ many of us have family who did the same and then some. And they ALL seemed to live well into their 90's!!! Is the "new knowlwdge" a blessing or a curse?? Didn't we all ride on the handlebars of our friends bikes, not know a thing about seatbelts, have parents who both smoked and drank alcohol WHILE our moms were pregnant with us? The list of OMG's is endless! And yet.......we are now fretting that don't get enough Vitamin D absorption due to the high amount of fibre in our diet while we are slathering on SPF 50! If I weren't laughing, I'd be crying by now!!!

I dunno Baby-Boomers~ I am just along for the ride here! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    chenheart said:

Health, Shmelth!!!!
    You've got something there, Phoenix!!! :-) I have often thought of my relatives too~ farmers who ate butter, bacon by the ton, 3 and 4 eggs at a sitting, smoked, drank coffee so strong you could stand a spoon up in it~ many of us have family who did the same and then some. And they ALL seemed to live well into their 90's!!! Is the "new knowlwdge" a blessing or a curse?? Didn't we all ride on the handlebars of our friends bikes, not know a thing about seatbelts, have parents who both smoked and drank alcohol WHILE our moms were pregnant with us? The list of OMG's is endless! And yet.......we are now fretting that don't get enough Vitamin D absorption due to the high amount of fibre in our diet while we are slathering on SPF 50! If I weren't laughing, I'd be crying by now!!!

I dunno Baby-Boomers~ I am just along for the ride here! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia

How about eggs or potatoes
    How about eggs or potatoes fried in bacon grease??? A favourite of my grandmother.

I admit, I'm an addict when it comes to learning about nutrition and natural medicine and even some conventional medicine. But I can't help it, I'm a virgo, it's in the horoscope!!

Kidding aside, I was shocked when I found out I had osteo. I had been taking Calcium since the 90's, run up and down stairs all day at work, hike, garden, thought I was getting enough Vit D in my multi plus sun/diet. And I have it worse than my 75 yr old mother.!! Geesh!
    So I'm wondering what gives. Hence the obsession with trying to get those stubborn Ca ions
    in my bones and wondering if I had been voiding my good intentions with foods that inhibit or bind.

But I'm not that obsessive as you can see, I'm spending my night on the computer instead of working out. You guys are much more fun :)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

How about eggs or potatoes fried in bacon grease??? A favourite of my grandmother.

I admit, I'm an addict when it comes to learning about nutrition and natural medicine and even some conventional medicine. But I can't help it, I'm a virgo, it's in the horoscope!!

Kidding aside, I was shocked when I found out I had osteo. I had been taking Calcium since the 90's, run up and down stairs all day at work, hike, garden, thought I was getting enough Vit D in my multi plus sun/diet. And I have it worse than my 75 yr old mother.!! Geesh!
    So I'm wondering what gives. Hence the obsession with trying to get those stubborn Ca ions
    in my bones and wondering if I had been voiding my good intentions with foods that inhibit or bind.

But I'm not that obsessive as you can see, I'm spending my night on the computer instead of working out. You guys are much more fun :)

I, too, am osteoporotic....
    from the treatments. Especially the radiation to my pelvis and back. But, after 2 years of Actonel and calcium, it's been 'upgraded' to osteopenia in my hip. Still osteoporosis in my back, but that, too, is better than 2 years ago...

This is the major reason I take Tamoxifen instead of any of the AI's.

Hugs, Kathi
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    KathiM said:

I, too, am osteoporotic....
    from the treatments. Especially the radiation to my pelvis and back. But, after 2 years of Actonel and calcium, it's been 'upgraded' to osteopenia in my hip. Still osteoporosis in my back, but that, too, is better than 2 years ago...

This is the major reason I take Tamoxifen instead of any of the AI's.

Hugs, Kathi

That's absolutely wonderful!
    That's absolutely wonderful! It's been 1 1/2yrs since my last density test. I think I'll ask on Thurs for another one. It would be good to see the #'s rise. One onc said the chemo wouldn't have accelerated bone loss and another onc actually suggested it. So I'm going with the one that blames it on the chemo :) Being pro bone is one reason I was OK with the Tamoxifen. Crazy but at the beginning of this I wanted an AI and bisphosphonate. Now I don't. Just can't please me anyhow.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

The thigh bone connected to the hip bone, etc etc
    Why am I not surprised, Phoenix? I am a Virgo too! :-)

I don't know just what to make of it all, either. I have had 3 bone density tests since taking Arimidex ( a known bone-thinner) and whereas my hips are strong and fine, my spine is thinning. I too do the calcium thing, and, for the record, the technician doing the test told me that those women taking Fosomax, or Boniva oftentimes have NO MEASURABLE increase in bone density. What to do? What to do? I surely don't have the answer...sigh

Hugs,
    Claudia