Would appreciate your thoughts

Options
phoenixrising
phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have some huge decisions to make and I'm hoping to hear your thoughts.

As of Sept I had been on Tamoxifen for about 1 1/2 yrs. The side effects were growing and the worse one was a problem with my eyes. Very dry and sore with lots of fatigue. Drops were very limited in their usefulness and so I wouldn't use them half the time. I decided to get my cyp2D6 gene checked and found out I had a faulty gene and wasn't fully metabolizing the drug. I was convinced Tamoxifen was the culprit since there was improvement when I went off of it.

I've been off the Tamoxifen since Sept 23 and my eyes are improving however quite slowly.

Now they want to put me on an AI with Zometa (I have osteo).

I have a proven sensitivity to meds and frequently have to cut back on the dosage. I don't mind taking it but if it is going to be disabling then I've got a problem. Presently I am working 3 - 1/2 days cause my eyes have been too sore to increase my hours. Sometimes I shouldn't even do that. Added to that my employer under contract can post my position which may happen soon.

I'm a Pharmacy Technician at our local hospital. And it's busy there.

Now they have been really really good to me, however the time has come and unfortunately my body isn't ready.

If I take the AI with Zometa and have no problems, that's wonderful. Chance of that happening is very low. I know I should try it before saying anything but I already have some joint problems and once the zometa is in your veins, there's no coming out. So I am scared.

If I take it and have problems and get laid up or can't increase to full time, I may lose my job. My job is the only reason we moved up here to this small town.

Can't believe I may have to lose my job in order to save my life!! That's how I see it. Am I just panicking? Is this how you see it? Maybe my perception is
warped.

The only other thing I can think of is taking a low dose Tamoxifen and add Flax seed to it as it acts as an aromatase inhibitor. I don't think my onc will go for that............too far out of the box for most of them.

Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this and sorry if this got lengthy.

jan

Comments

• Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I don't know how to counsel
    I don't know how to counsel you, but I do think that, in addition to seeking advice from BC sisters, you may want to talk to employee rights experts in human resources and in the cancer rights community.
    Here is a short story, about not knowing what the effects will be. I am, of course, frustrated because doctors can't tell me for sure that my BC is gone for good. I spoke with a friend whose sister was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and given months. For him, the fact that the doctors don't know for sure is his only hope.
    I hope that whatever decision you make, and treatment you receive is the good side of the coin toss! love, Joyce
  • phoenixrising
    Options

I don't know how to counsel
    I don't know how to counsel you, but I do think that, in addition to seeking advice from BC sisters, you may want to talk to employee rights experts in human resources and in the cancer rights community.
    Here is a short story, about not knowing what the effects will be. I am, of course, frustrated because doctors can't tell me for sure that my BC is gone for good. I spoke with a friend whose sister was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and given months. For him, the fact that the doctors don't know for sure is his only hope.
    I hope that whatever decision you make, and treatment you receive is the good side of the coin toss! love, Joyce

Ahhh Joyce, I knew I could
    Ahhh Joyce, I knew I could count on you sweetie, to try and give me a hand. Man, this whole thing is the pits isn't it? (that's not too negative is it?)

It's in my union contract that after 2yrs the employer can repost the position. My LTD is up as well and I have to submit new info. I don't know how my part time hours fit into that.
    I'll know more soon. I am so grateful I had these benefits. Before accepting this job in the Canadian north I was offered one in Vancouver, B.C. but it was casual and this is full time. For some reason benefits were important to me but I never thought I would need them.
    I can't believe I've been off this long and still dealing with debilitating problems. Which is why I'm afraid of trying the AI's. Just don't want anymore problems. I'm tempted every so often to go off everything, just to feel good again and reach for health.

It would be good to know that after going through all this crap this cancer would at least have the decency to get lost.

Our hospital has just become a cancer clinic this year and I was looking forward to mixing chemo for our patients. Well............at least I have my body to sell.......oh no I don't! Maybe I could have a half price sale. (ha ha) Gotta laugh at it all.

Thanks again Joyce
    jan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I wish I had some insight on
    I wish I had some insight on your possible side effects, alas I don't. I simply saw your name on the boards and of course wanted to send you a sister-cyber-hug and warm fellow feelings...for whatever good that is! LOL

I think you screenname truly does say it all; there is a good reason you chose that. I know you are scared, not "just" with side effects ( as if they weren't enough) but OMG! possible job loss as well??? I agree with JoyceLouise in suggesting you use whatever resources necessary to find help~ I have heard accupuncture has worked wonders for many during chemo; I wonder if it would alleviate joint pain as well. And as for Flax seed? I dont' know, but if you have a trusted source, and at least INFORM your Dr that you are wanting to add it to the regimin, perhaps it will be a no harm, no foul situation. Perhaps it will help, perhaps not. The main thing I suppose, is making sure any supplements, additives won't HURT in conjunction with our mainstream meds. But you knew that aready.

I see you arising from the ashes~ stronger than ever. Not surprising us, but perhaps yourself!

Let us know what you decide~ we love you!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Job Options
    I hope your doctor can help you work something out so that you can keep your job. However, if he feels that you can't hold down your job (or your emplyer is saying as much), have you talked with your employment office about getting disability? Lots of cancer patients are unable to keep their job going. Sometimes it is permanent, sometimes it is for a period of time. Disability may not be the same as your usual paycheck, but it may help. It takes time to get the benefits going though and you have to get through a lot of hurdles to "prove" you are disabled. Mind you, I hope things get worked out. But if they don't, check into what options you have. Good luck!
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Hello fellow Canuch
    Hi Phoenix, I don't have mush advise....you are the expert in drugs working in a pharmacy...you know lots about those drugs, wish I'd asked you before taking some!
    I wish you the best...I agree with the other sisters that you check out all resorces in your area. I am in Ontario and there is no help AFTER cancer here, oh yes you can join support groups and such, but having lymphedema has been a nightmare for me to get any help even from the extensive health team of RN's and physiotherapists and oncologists. They don't know much about it so I'm on my own here. I took Taxol also and that has side effects, and Arimidex.
    and on we go....enjoying each new day.
    Best to you hon, I sure hope you find the answers you need.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hey Jan: Can't add much
    Hey Jan: Can't add much more than what the others have said but I wanted to send you a big cyber hug and hope that it all works out for you. Hugs, Lili
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    chenheart said:

I wish I had some insight on
    I wish I had some insight on your possible side effects, alas I don't. I simply saw your name on the boards and of course wanted to send you a sister-cyber-hug and warm fellow feelings...for whatever good that is! LOL

I think you screenname truly does say it all; there is a good reason you chose that. I know you are scared, not "just" with side effects ( as if they weren't enough) but OMG! possible job loss as well??? I agree with JoyceLouise in suggesting you use whatever resources necessary to find help~ I have heard accupuncture has worked wonders for many during chemo; I wonder if it would alleviate joint pain as well. And as for Flax seed? I dont' know, but if you have a trusted source, and at least INFORM your Dr that you are wanting to add it to the regimin, perhaps it will be a no harm, no foul situation. Perhaps it will help, perhaps not. The main thing I suppose, is making sure any supplements, additives won't HURT in conjunction with our mainstream meds. But you knew that aready.

I see you arising from the ashes~ stronger than ever. Not surprising us, but perhaps yourself!

Let us know what you decide~ we love you!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Hugs Coming Back at You...
    Thanks for the hug Claudia, it worked :)

Funny you should mention my screen name. My last chemo shot was the Friday of the Easter weekend in 07 and as I sat outside and took in the warm sunshine and birds singing I
    contemplated the whole Easter thing. You know the dying and being reborn which reminded me of the phoenix rising story. I've hung on to the idea of it and try to use it to
    bring me up when I'm down. To give me strength when I'm just a whimpering, scared,
    cowardly little human being. Sometimes it helps.

We have an acupuncturist in town. I think I'll check him out and see what he says. Thanks for the idea and thank you for your support.
    jan
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    cabbott said:

Job Options
    I hope your doctor can help you work something out so that you can keep your job. However, if he feels that you can't hold down your job (or your emplyer is saying as much), have you talked with your employment office about getting disability? Lots of cancer patients are unable to keep their job going. Sometimes it is permanent, sometimes it is for a period of time. Disability may not be the same as your usual paycheck, but it may help. It takes time to get the benefits going though and you have to get through a lot of hurdles to "prove" you are disabled. Mind you, I hope things get worked out. But if they don't, check into what options you have. Good luck!

Hi Cabbott, I forgot to
    Hi Cabbott, I forgot to mention that I am presently on a graduated return to work program. Kinda half in the door and half out. Makes it complicated. I initiated my return to work and initiated an increase in my hours, but then things kinda got worse, so I'm trying to stay in this holding pattern for now until I get it sorted out. I've been on LTD for 2yrs now and am submitting more info from my onc and family dr. to hopefully extend it for a little while anyways.

I've been in a real panic thinking I might lose my job since I'm now 55 and the only other "talent" I have to fall back on is truck driving. And we don't need to picture a blue haired old woman trying to get in and out of a tractor trailer do we. LOL

Thank you for your thoughts and well wishes, they are appreciated.
    jan
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    Skybuf said:

Hello fellow Canuch
    Hi Phoenix, I don't have mush advise....you are the expert in drugs working in a pharmacy...you know lots about those drugs, wish I'd asked you before taking some!
    I wish you the best...I agree with the other sisters that you check out all resorces in your area. I am in Ontario and there is no help AFTER cancer here, oh yes you can join support groups and such, but having lymphedema has been a nightmare for me to get any help even from the extensive health team of RN's and physiotherapists and oncologists. They don't know much about it so I'm on my own here. I took Taxol also and that has side effects, and Arimidex.
    and on we go....enjoying each new day.
    Best to you hon, I sure hope you find the answers you need.

My dear girl, I am no expert
    My dear girl, I am no expert that's for sure, I just know enough to tick everyone off and confuse myself drastically. I have always enjoyed medicine and healing only it usually was in the form of nature and not pharmaceuticals. My friends thought I had sold out when I "joined" mainstream healthcare.

I have to say Ontario really ticks me off!! They have the most nonsensical policies and thinking I've ever seen. I was born and raised there and moved here in 1990 with absolutely no regrets, except we sure could do without our Premier.

One thing I've had throughout all this is a healthy dose of mistrust towards my caregivers.
    I love them dearly and I know they try but I realize they pretty much regurgitate what they've been told or learned and expect you to get in line. No weird side effects my lady, they will say it's just age or something. Somehow it's normal to age 20yrs in 2yrs.
    My question to them is what happens to you if this happens to me. They can chalk it up to a mistake but you live with it.

Thank you for your thoughts and we wish you well too.
    jan

I am so sorry about your lymphedema. Do you live near Toronto or Hamilton where they have the bigger cancer centres?? Here the protocol is the same throughout the province. Doesn't matter if you are out in the boonies or in a major city. I don't think it's like that there is it?? Yes Taxol can be a real pain, it was for me and Arimidex??? Well that's the one I'm avoiding right now.

I hope you find help for your side effects either through this forum or other cancer sites.
    Thank God for the computer and internet!!! I'll look back over your posts and see if there is anything I can add. Now that I'm off all meds, I'm feeling much much better. :)
  • phoenixrising
    Options

Hey Jan: Can't add much
    Hey Jan: Can't add much more than what the others have said but I wanted to send you a big cyber hug and hope that it all works out for you. Hugs, Lili

Thanks Lili, I appreciate
    Thanks Lili, I appreciate you thinking about me and a big hug coming back at you.

jan
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    About Zometa
    Hi Phoenix,
    I've had about 4 treatments of Zometa so far (once/month). I think most people have little difficulty with it. Of course, I'm not one of them. After my first infusion I had flu-like symptoms and fever for about 36 hours, then I was fine. My doctor says that happens in 1 out of 20 women who take it. So the next time I took it she gave me some pre-drugs to counteract the flu-like symptoms. I had no problem after that. On my fourth infusion I decided to try to go without the predrugs (as I can't stand how dexamethasone keeps me up ALL night). Apparently, my body has adjusted to the Zometa. I didn't have a reaction.

I don't know much about AI's, other than they will typically cause more bone pain....but maybe the Zometa will counter those side effects. I'm taking tamoxifen and I'm starting to get tired of the side effects...very moody, appetitite like a crazed pig, and vaginal discharge. I have heard that drinking Green Tea helps when you're taking tamoxifen...I was drinking it all the time before I started on the tamoxifen, just haven't continued...no good reason why. I'm considering Effexor to help with the moodiness. I don't think there's any harm in taking some essential fatty acids, like flax seed, when you're on tamoxifen. I take some Omega-3, Omega-6 supplements. If you are grinding your own flaxseed, my doctor suggests ingesting it with protein at the same time...like in a low fat yogurt.

Sorry you have to deal with your job issues on top of everything else.

Chelle
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    Chellebug said:

About Zometa
    Hi Phoenix,
    I've had about 4 treatments of Zometa so far (once/month). I think most people have little difficulty with it. Of course, I'm not one of them. After my first infusion I had flu-like symptoms and fever for about 36 hours, then I was fine. My doctor says that happens in 1 out of 20 women who take it. So the next time I took it she gave me some pre-drugs to counteract the flu-like symptoms. I had no problem after that. On my fourth infusion I decided to try to go without the predrugs (as I can't stand how dexamethasone keeps me up ALL night). Apparently, my body has adjusted to the Zometa. I didn't have a reaction.

I don't know much about AI's, other than they will typically cause more bone pain....but maybe the Zometa will counter those side effects. I'm taking tamoxifen and I'm starting to get tired of the side effects...very moody, appetitite like a crazed pig, and vaginal discharge. I have heard that drinking Green Tea helps when you're taking tamoxifen...I was drinking it all the time before I started on the tamoxifen, just haven't continued...no good reason why. I'm considering Effexor to help with the moodiness. I don't think there's any harm in taking some essential fatty acids, like flax seed, when you're on tamoxifen. I take some Omega-3, Omega-6 supplements. If you are grinding your own flaxseed, my doctor suggests ingesting it with protein at the same time...like in a low fat yogurt.

Sorry you have to deal with your job issues on top of everything else.

Chelle

Hi Chelle, thank you for
    Hi Chelle, thank you for sharing your experience with zometa. My dentist lent me his Dentistry Magazine as there was an article in it about Osteonecrosis of the Jaw. If you get it there is a mouth wash that some of the Dentists have used that seemed to help the healing but it isn't presribable yet, they just experimented with it. I think that's what scares me about it. I am a known coward and wimp (see post above). I think I would be more willing to try the AI's if I didn't need the bisphosphonate as well. Trying to keep it simple. But Cabbott has written alot about Vit D and how it helps with the bone/joint pain, so I would have my levels checked. I've heard about it on other sites as well.

You know I fell into a deep depression when I was on Tamoxifen at 20mg/day. When I split my dosage and took half in the am and half in the pm, it went away. Maybe that would help with your moodiness. Can't hurt to try, you'll still get the same dosage as prescribed just broken down. I think a smaller amount 2x day metabolized better.

There's a clinical trial going on now comparing flax seed (not the oil) and Arimidex. I had read that flax acted as an aromatase inhibitor so I'm glad to see research $ going towards exploring some natural cheap products.

I found an excellent website that gives you a comprehensive list of nutrients for food. It doesn't cost anything, just register, and I can track everything I ate for today and find out what I'm missing and what I've had too much of. Very enlightening. You may be surprised at how much Omega 6 fatty acid you are actually getting through diet alone.
    It's www.nutritiondata.com

Thanks for the tip about the protein and flaxseed, I used to put it in my yogurt but of late I put it on my cereal.

Thanks for your thoughts, health to all
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Hi Chelle, thank you for
    Hi Chelle, thank you for sharing your experience with zometa. My dentist lent me his Dentistry Magazine as there was an article in it about Osteonecrosis of the Jaw. If you get it there is a mouth wash that some of the Dentists have used that seemed to help the healing but it isn't presribable yet, they just experimented with it. I think that's what scares me about it. I am a known coward and wimp (see post above). I think I would be more willing to try the AI's if I didn't need the bisphosphonate as well. Trying to keep it simple. But Cabbott has written alot about Vit D and how it helps with the bone/joint pain, so I would have my levels checked. I've heard about it on other sites as well.

You know I fell into a deep depression when I was on Tamoxifen at 20mg/day. When I split my dosage and took half in the am and half in the pm, it went away. Maybe that would help with your moodiness. Can't hurt to try, you'll still get the same dosage as prescribed just broken down. I think a smaller amount 2x day metabolized better.

There's a clinical trial going on now comparing flax seed (not the oil) and Arimidex. I had read that flax acted as an aromatase inhibitor so I'm glad to see research $ going towards exploring some natural cheap products.

I found an excellent website that gives you a comprehensive list of nutrients for food. It doesn't cost anything, just register, and I can track everything I ate for today and find out what I'm missing and what I've had too much of. Very enlightening. You may be surprised at how much Omega 6 fatty acid you are actually getting through diet alone.
    It's www.nutritiondata.com

Thanks for the tip about the protein and flaxseed, I used to put it in my yogurt but of late I put it on my cereal.

Thanks for your thoughts, health to all
    jan

Jan, my oncologist also
    Jan, my oncologist also split the dose on me. He said from the beginning that many women do develop mood swings, so he gave me 10 mg 2x a day. I also had my Vit D checked and it was extremely low. He has now put me on Vit D 50,000 units once a weeks and I've noticed a big improvement in joint and muscle pain. Hugs, Lili
  • phoenixrising
    Options

Jan, my oncologist also
    Jan, my oncologist also split the dose on me. He said from the beginning that many women do develop mood swings, so he gave me 10 mg 2x a day. I also had my Vit D checked and it was extremely low. He has now put me on Vit D 50,000 units once a weeks and I've noticed a big improvement in joint and muscle pain. Hugs, Lili

Lili, you have a wise
    Lili, you have a wise oncologist. I had to find out for myself. I am hoping my Docs will pass on this info to anyone else having the same problem. I was stunned at how fast my mood improved. And that relationship between Vit D levels and joint/muscle pain is another gem I hope everyone in pain at least checks. I'm getting my checked over the next couple of days.
    Presently I've been taking 2000IU/day with 1500 mg Calcium and 500mg Magnesium. Hopefully that will fill in a few holes. haha
    Thanks for the info Lili, and have a great day
    jan
  • cabbott
    Options

Lili, you have a wise
    Lili, you have a wise oncologist. I had to find out for myself. I am hoping my Docs will pass on this info to anyone else having the same problem. I was stunned at how fast my mood improved. And that relationship between Vit D levels and joint/muscle pain is another gem I hope everyone in pain at least checks. I'm getting my checked over the next couple of days.
    Presently I've been taking 2000IU/day with 1500 mg Calcium and 500mg Magnesium. Hopefully that will fill in a few holes. haha
    Thanks for the info Lili, and have a great day
    jan

Addition
    Did your oncologist warn you that while you need the calcium and the vitamin D, you shouldn't take them at the same time. Apparently the Vitamin D binds with the calcium and goes right out of your system if you take it at the same time as the calcium. I ended up taking the vitamin D about an hour before breakfast and then take the calcium with a later meal. The nurse told me to take the vitamin D much as you take fosamax--just with water on an empty stomach--if you want maximum results. Shucks, I wouldn't take it if I didn't want results! So I take it with water and try not to eat anything for the next hour. Unlike fosamax though, it is okay to sneak back to bed after you take your pill(s).
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    cabbott said:

Addition
    Did your oncologist warn you that while you need the calcium and the vitamin D, you shouldn't take them at the same time. Apparently the Vitamin D binds with the calcium and goes right out of your system if you take it at the same time as the calcium. I ended up taking the vitamin D about an hour before breakfast and then take the calcium with a later meal. The nurse told me to take the vitamin D much as you take fosamax--just with water on an empty stomach--if you want maximum results. Shucks, I wouldn't take it if I didn't want results! So I take it with water and try not to eat anything for the next hour. Unlike fosamax though, it is okay to sneak back to bed after you take your pill(s).

Absolutely not, my onc nor anyone else mentioned that. Thank you for telling me. I've had my levels checked and am waiting for the results. I knew that A interfered with D and we often see them together as a supplement but I've never heard of D binding Calcium. I will make sure I use it on an empty stomach for now on.

Thanks again for taking the time to share that with me.

jan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    cabbott said:

Addition

ABCDEFG.......
    Help Me, Dr Cabbott!! :-) My Calcium has Vitamin D with it....so, I assume I am being duped by the supplement community and not only am I not getting the needed Calcium, I am getting too much D? Wait~ I mean it's the other way around! Or something like that??? I think I will just take the calcium ( which I forget except about once a month anyway...I have GREAT intentions but not so good follow-through) and get my vitamin D from 15 minutes of sunshine when I take my 2 hour walk~ being as I start at 6 AM, by 8AM I should have the recommended dose of D, doncha think????

What a system! No wonder it is the "practice" of medicine, and supplements and health foods are unregulated! What a crap-shoot!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • cabbott
    Options
    chenheart said:

ABCDEFG.......
    Help Me, Dr Cabbott!! :-) My Calcium has Vitamin D with it....so, I assume I am being duped by the supplement community and not only am I not getting the needed Calcium, I am getting too much D? Wait~ I mean it's the other way around! Or something like that??? I think I will just take the calcium ( which I forget except about once a month anyway...I have GREAT intentions but not so good follow-through) and get my vitamin D from 15 minutes of sunshine when I take my 2 hour walk~ being as I start at 6 AM, by 8AM I should have the recommended dose of D, doncha think????

What a system! No wonder it is the "practice" of medicine, and supplements and health foods are unregulated! What a crap-shoot!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Yipes! I know the nurse told me to take that vitamin D like I take the fosamax--just with water and nothing else by mouth for at least 30 minutes (though I could go back to bed with the D and not with fosamax), but your post got me to thinking Chen. My calcium has vitamin D in it too. I know we need adequate Vitamin D to metabolise calcium. That's why they put D in milk. So I started doing some research on the internet, but I really don't know a lot about vitamins. What IS the right way to take vitamins? Generic supplements or one-a-day kinda lump them all together in one pill. That can't be ideal if iron and calcium don't mix well and from the little I did find, they don't do well together. Iron and vitamin C on the other hand, complement each other well. Eating an orange or drinking orange juice with a dish containing iron will enhance absorbtion. What other things compliment each other or don't mix so well? Did the nurse give me the best advice? I'm looking, but so far I can't find a clear guide on the net. Does anyone have a guide or internet site that says what is the idea course of action in taking vitamins? Let me know.

C. Abbott (not MD!)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    cabbott said:

Yipes! I know the nurse told me to take that vitamin D like I take the fosamax--just with water and nothing else by mouth for at least 30 minutes (though I could go back to bed with the D and not with fosamax), but your post got me to thinking Chen. My calcium has vitamin D in it too. I know we need adequate Vitamin D to metabolise calcium. That's why they put D in milk. So I started doing some research on the internet, but I really don't know a lot about vitamins. What IS the right way to take vitamins? Generic supplements or one-a-day kinda lump them all together in one pill. That can't be ideal if iron and calcium don't mix well and from the little I did find, they don't do well together. Iron and vitamin C on the other hand, complement each other well. Eating an orange or drinking orange juice with a dish containing iron will enhance absorbtion. What other things compliment each other or don't mix so well? Did the nurse give me the best advice? I'm looking, but so far I can't find a clear guide on the net. Does anyone have a guide or internet site that says what is the idea course of action in taking vitamins? Let me know.

C. Abbott (not MD!)

I giggled....a mental picture...
    How about drinking milk while out in the sun?

Now, think about it....Vitamin D is the 'sunshine' vitamin, and if you stay out for 15 minutes in a day, bare armed, you get your amount.

Sorry, I'm not in a serious mood today...

Hugs, Kathi
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    cabbott said:

C. Abbott (not MD!)

I've been looking on the
    I've been looking on the internet to confirm the Vitamin D on an empty stomach and can't seem to find anything. But now I see it was a nurse that told you and I have to say that my experience with nurses is: I would trust them to save my life but I wouldn't ask them about vitamins, supplements or nutrition. That's just a generalized statement, there are probably tons that have actually specialized in it, but generally speaking............so hopefully you can lead me to some information on the Vitamin D.

I actually went off my multi vitamin because of what you've found. And when I thought about it it didn't make alot of sense. The RDI of all the vitamins and minerals we are to intake in one day are taken in one shot. Then I came across the A interfering with D which you need for the Calcium. That was in an article about how ~10,000 IU of A on a regular basis can make us susceptible to hip fractures. They figure it's because it inhibits the D. Crazy! Then we see A&D sold together.

I don't know of any good site to answer these questions on what to take with what. I do know it's complicated and for me I do what I know until I know more. I hope someone knows of a site and posts it.

One thing I was doing is tracking my meals on nutritiondata.com and at the end of the day see what I'm missing and take that as a separate supplement. A little bit of work but very interesting. To complicate things more then you have phytic acid in grains that either bind or inhibit calcium absorption and oxalic acid in spinach, raspberries and many other fruits and veggies that also tie up calcium. What to do, what to do :)

Good luck to you with your investigative work.
    jan