Back on Chemo yesterday and lost a friend

Options
kimby
kimby Member Posts: 797
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
After finishing FOLFOX in March, a colostomy takedown and clean scan in May I now have mets to the liver and lung. I started FOLFIRI yesterday and we'll add Erbitux next cycle. Of course the goal is to shink/eliminate enough in the liver to make it resectable. On FOLFOX the 5FU was a tiny dose - it fit in a small compartment on the back of the pump. Now, it is larger than any IV saline I've ever received! It was really awkward to carry around, so this ought to be interesting.

When I got home I was helping my son (23 and new college grad) look for a job. I found a posting and told him, "That's Joshs' job!" He reminded me that he could have found something better or gotten a promotion. Josh has been on my mind lately. I haven't seen him since June but emailed him the week before Labor Day and he hadn't responded. I picked up a card to send to him on Wednesday so DH and I could go to dinner with his DW and him. I'm glad I didn't send it....I found his obituary on a google search. He lived in a small town that doesn't have any newspaper so I had to search surrounding towns. I need to send his wife something that isn't a joke card like I bought him.

Josh and I met last year in chemo. We would jockey and save seats to sit together. Wonderful guy. He was 33 yrs old! This beast stinks. I hate it. Another friend gone.

Kimby

Comments

• nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Kimby,
    I am so sorry to hear you are back on chemo and back in the fight, but a fight we will help you fight. I will say a prayer for your friend, Dear God, ....................... AMEN.
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry
    It always saddens me to see another person taken by cancer. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Also that you are back on chemo but it sounds like you have a plan which I found helped me through it. My mantra since chemo is 'One day at a time'. Hard to do at times but it helps get through those bad days. I'm sending good vibes and hugs your way.

Lisa F.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Your news
    Kimby, I am so sorry for your double hit in this fight. To be back on chemo for a recurrence of the beast, then to find out you lost a fellow chemo buddy, you are in my prayers. I found out of the loss of a chemo buddy by over hearing someone in the lobby discussing the loss of someone in their church. The information she was reporting wasn't accurate, but i knew she was talking about Marcus because I hadn't seen him since 2 treatments prior. It was really disappointing that I didn't find out in time to attend his services. I am sure you will miss Josh during these upcoming treatments. Be strong and God be with you during your new battle! Mary
  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm so sorry
    Wow Kimby - you were hit with a double-whammy. This fate we've been given is so hard to understand. I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend Josh. I know you wish you had found out earlier so that you could attend his service. I wish for your continued strength as you continue in your battle.

Sending loving thoughts your way,

Kathy
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ugh...double whammy
    Gosh, Kimby...I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Josh. So young...

I'll keep you, and Josh and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope things go well for you on this round of chemo and you quickly adjust to your new cancer fashion accessory - your chemo pump.

Many blessings...Katie
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Very sad
    That's very sad about the loss of your young friend. And I'm also very sorry that you're going to have to do chemo again.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    I'm sorry for your loss of your friend and that your cancer has returned. Life sucks sometimes. Hang in there.

Debbie