Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    mimivac said:

Thanks, Joyce
    I sure feel like a basket-case though!

I am from Argentina, the
    I am from Argentina, the land of the tango. Immigrated to New York when I was 5 years old. Have been living in New Jersey since I got married in 1979. You'll be ok Mimi. You have all of our support. Lili
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

Julia, what a fun person you
    Julia, what a fun person you are! Thanks for writing (and give your onc a dirty look for me) love, Joyce

Where are you from?
    We have just moved to Jacksonville, Tx from Ruidoso, NM, and what a change in climate that was. Three weeks after moving here is when I was diagnoised, so haven't been able to enjoy the area much yet. Looking forward to next summer for the water sports and garage sales.

Judy
  • dorothyt
    dorothyt Member Posts: 103
    Options

Where are you from?
    We have just moved to Jacksonville, Tx from Ruidoso, NM, and what a change in climate that was. Three weeks after moving here is when I was diagnoised, so haven't been able to enjoy the area much yet. Looking forward to next summer for the water sports and garage sales.

Judy

Hi, I'm Dorothy, I'm 53
    Hi, I'm Dorothy, I'm 53 years old and I Live in Louisiana. I have lived here all of my life.I live without electrical power for 24 days after hurricane Katrina and the temperture was in the 90's ,it felt like hell. I never thought I would face anything else in my life time that would top that ,until I was told that I had BC in May 2008.
  • Cindyjoy
    Cindyjoy Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm living in Virginia
    In the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm 48 and I had chemo, surgery and radiation. Lumpectomy. I just started tamoxifen and I don't like it! Chemo brain again! I am tired so I'll get back here later!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

where are you from
    Hi I am Julia, from Port Colborne near Niagara Falls in Canada 'eh? I moved here from lincolnshire England 6 years ago. I was Diagnosed Nov 2007 Breast cancer, stage 4, 13 nodes removed and lumpectomy. Then 7 month of FEC/Taxotare Chemo, then 3 weeks Radiation. Now on the tamoxifen, doing OK I think. I have an oncologist who doesn't answer questions...."I dunno..I Dunno..Look it up on the net...I'm a busy man now get the hell outta my office, Ah Here's a kick up the arse to help you along" lol, I sure look forward to my appointments with HIM.. I live "Over the Broom" with chuck who it totally mad but the love of my life, we sure have a volatile relationship at the mo. I have one son Jamie 14, Gorgeous, we have a hobby farm, just got rid of the horses as I am too ill to do anything with 'em. we have a great dog, a very demanding cat, and a pet chicken & Tropical fish. I love gardening and had my own landscaping business and greenhouses in England. OK YOU CAN WAKE UP NOW........Love to all Julia XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

IDAHO
    Julia, I just read this post. If I'd read it yesterday, I would have known about the removal of your nodes.

I feel funny writing IDAHO is where I'm from, but I've now lived here for 13 years! I was born (in 1950) and grew up on the south side of Chicago, went to college, in the course of my travels went back to the south side once. I decided any place a dog couldn't run free wasn't for me, and have been fortunate (since I am married to a forester) to have lived in many beautiful places.

I'm thinking of you today, hating your onc, and hoping you get the information and help you need tomorrow! Merry Christmas
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Cindyjoy said:

I'm living in Virginia
    In the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm 48 and I had chemo, surgery and radiation. Lumpectomy. I just started tamoxifen and I don't like it! Chemo brain again! I am tired so I'll get back here later!

Blue ridge
    Hi Cindy,

I live in VA also, but closer to DC. I love the Blue Ridge Mountains. My husband and I spent a wonderful vacation in Paris, VA for our first anniversary a few years ago.
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    mimivac said:

Blue ridge
    Hi Cindy,

I live in VA also, but closer to DC. I love the Blue Ridge Mountains. My husband and I spent a wonderful vacation in Paris, VA for our first anniversary a few years ago.

Oh, the mountains.....
    I live in the nice flat state of Indiana. Well, there are some rolling hills in the southern part I suppose. We may not have mountains, but we have beautiful sunsets, the Indianapolis Colts, lots of cornfields, the Indy 500, and basketball! Chelle
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    British Columbia
    Grew up in Ontario and came out here in 1990 with hubby, son and a huge Newfoundland dog. Lived on the coast for the most part and moved to the Interior in 04. Really miss the mountains and water. I am insurance broker turned truck driver turned pharmacy technician.
    My husband is perm disabled from colorectal cancer tx and I didn't want him to have all the fun so I got BC in 2006. Found out he wasn't having that much fun after all. :)

I wonder how many of the earlier people are still with us.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options

British Columbia
    Grew up in Ontario and came out here in 1990 with hubby, son and a huge Newfoundland dog. Lived on the coast for the most part and moved to the Interior in 04. Really miss the mountains and water. I am insurance broker turned truck driver turned pharmacy technician.
    My husband is perm disabled from colorectal cancer tx and I didn't want him to have all the fun so I got BC in 2006. Found out he wasn't having that much fun after all. :)

I wonder how many of the earlier people are still with us.

Maryland
    I live close to Annapolis Maryland. recently diagnosed and have had my first chemo infusion. Have 3 children (all grown) and 3 fantastic grandchildren. Hope to get to know you all better.
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Living in Central Texas now,
    Living in Central Texas now, but originally from Louisville, KY - home of the Kentucky Derby. My husband and I enjoy Texas winters with the average temperature in the 50s!(won't mention Texas summers). We also enjoy returning home for the Kentucky Derby on the first Saturday in May every year. Finished radiation on Christmas Eve and looking forward to life after breat cancer in 2009!

Derbygirl
  • mimivac
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Oh, the mountains.....
    I live in the nice flat state of Indiana. Well, there are some rolling hills in the southern part I suppose. We may not have mountains, but we have beautiful sunsets, the Indianapolis Colts, lots of cornfields, the Indy 500, and basketball! Chelle

flat state
    I can relate. I grew up in southeast Michigan and only moved to the east coast in 2001. We have one hill that people call a mountain and like to ski down. We do have some wicked winters.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

Maryland
    I live close to Annapolis Maryland. recently diagnosed and have had my first chemo infusion. Have 3 children (all grown) and 3 fantastic grandchildren. Hope to get to know you all better.

Sausage, Finding this site
    Sausage, Finding this site made a big difference in my treatment and recovery. I found out information I otherwise would never have known (from something as simple as drink LOTS of water during chemo to get your thyroid checked after radiation for depression) and everything imbetween. And I had lots of emotional support here which was good because I am very emotional and that is what took the hardest hit.
    So glad to meet you under such crummy cirmcumstances! I hope you feel instantly at home here and get lots of help from the wonderful sisters and occasional brothers here.
    Take care, love, Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Cindyjoy said:

I'm living in Virginia

Where in the Blue Ridge are
    Where in the Blue Ridge are you Cindy. My brother lives in Winchester.
  • mimivac
    Options

Sausage, Finding this site
    Sausage, Finding this site made a big difference in my treatment and recovery. I found out information I otherwise would never have known (from something as simple as drink LOTS of water during chemo to get your thyroid checked after radiation for depression) and everything imbetween. And I had lots of emotional support here which was good because I am very emotional and that is what took the hardest hit.
    So glad to meet you under such crummy cirmcumstances! I hope you feel instantly at home here and get lots of help from the wonderful sisters and occasional brothers here.
    Take care, love, Joyce

I second what Joyce said
    Often, one of the hardest things about this is all the emotional stuff. Your doctors give you a course of treatment, but you are left with all the uncertain , frightening feelings. Feeling "normal" is so hard, especially in the beginning (as I am finding out now). Come here for support, advice, or just to vent. Everyone understands and has been through it and worse. It's nice to hear a chorus of "I know what that's about" when you feel so alone in the outside world.

Mimi
  • Bayousue
    Bayousue Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Derbygirl said:

Living in Central Texas now,
    Living in Central Texas now, but originally from Louisville, KY - home of the Kentucky Derby. My husband and I enjoy Texas winters with the average temperature in the 50s!(won't mention Texas summers). We also enjoy returning home for the Kentucky Derby on the first Saturday in May every year. Finished radiation on Christmas Eve and looking forward to life after breat cancer in 2009!

Derbygirl

Kentucky Here.
    I was born in Louisville, KY 53 years ago and when I was married we traveled to Germany, Fort Knox, Texas due to the military. When I finally moved back to Louisville I started working at my fathers equipment rental store. I have been there 25 years. The job was very stressful and I have noticed stress mentioned here a few times. I believe STRESS plays a part in it. Now I try not to worry and let others share with the problems at work. We have a little condo in Gulf Shores, AL. Hope to move there soon.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    karbear said:

Hello Susan, I am 38, have five kids and live in South Carolina , I am orginally from Rochester, NY. I had my last chemo treatment Sept. 28, and had one lymph node involved. I am going for reconstruction in April, a little nervous but i want to do it, My favorite thing to do is spend time with my children, they grow way too fast..I spend most my time as you can imagine running to dance classes,gymnastics,baseball,softball,etc..etc...but I love it. It really kept me going during chemo. lol..lol..It is great to meet such wonderful women on this web site and the support they offer. No one understands unless you have been in our shoes. Its a great place to vent also. It nice to meet you and may God Bless !!! karin

Small world
    Karin, I live in Rochester, NY! What part of Roch. are you from?
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Small world
    Karin, I live in Rochester, NY! What part of Roch. are you from?

old post
    Eil, I don't know if you noticed but the post from Karbear,Karin, was from 2002. I haven't seen her post anything else in years so I'm not sure you will get a response from her. Sorry! HUGS!! Cathy
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Hi Susan, Its great to meet you!
    Hi Susan, Its great to meet you! My name is Eileen, I am 45 and I live in Rochester, NY. I hope you had a nice Christmas. I had stage 1 BC. I had a lumpectomy in April of 06. Followed by 6 mos. of chemo and 10 partial breast radiation treatments. I am taking tamoxifen and am in a clinical trial as well. I am feeling good. I find as time passes I spend less time worrying about my cancer returning. This site has been a wonderful blessing. No one understands like the women/men here what we are going through.

I notice you are a bird watcher. I am an art teacher and love all animals. I am planning a painting project on birds with my 3rd graders. I bought 2 calendars with great color pictures with a CD with each bird's "song". It will be fun for the kids to be able to visualize the birds as they hear them singing in their backyards next summer:o)

It was a great idea for everyone to share. Although I may still have trouble keeping all the names and facts straight! Happy and healthy 2009 to you! Eil
  • Mary Sue
    Mary Sue Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Where are you from?
    I am from Topeka, Kansas and just found out on December 1st that I had breast cancer. My surgery will take place on the January 8th. I feel I have been on a roller coaster but the first thing my brother said was start your only Caring Bridge site. That has helped me.
    My husband and I have been married for 45 years and I retired from teaching in May, 2008. We have two grown sons and four grandchildren and two wonderful daughter-in-laws. We have a small family but very caring.
    Christmas was spent with family and friends just to keep us busy. This was the year for John and myself to travel at Christmas, but I had to many doctor appointments to go anywhere. We have promised ourselves a trip after all the radiation is finished.

I have had a CT scan and a full body scan to ease my mind that the only cancer is in the left breast. Those results came back early this morning and that is the only cancer that was found, so let the surgery begin.
  • dlr102369
    dlr102369 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Mary Sue said:

Where are you from?
    I am from Topeka, Kansas and just found out on December 1st that I had breast cancer. My surgery will take place on the January 8th. I feel I have been on a roller coaster but the first thing my brother said was start your only Caring Bridge site. That has helped me.
    My husband and I have been married for 45 years and I retired from teaching in May, 2008. We have two grown sons and four grandchildren and two wonderful daughter-in-laws. We have a small family but very caring.
    Christmas was spent with family and friends just to keep us busy. This was the year for John and myself to travel at Christmas, but I had to many doctor appointments to go anywhere. We have promised ourselves a trip after all the radiation is finished.

I have had a CT scan and a full body scan to ease my mind that the only cancer is in the left breast. Those results came back early this morning and that is the only cancer that was found, so let the surgery begin.

HI I have just been
    HI I have just been diagnosed with DCIS stage 0 breast cancer. I have been an oncology nurse for 15 years I work full time in research. I live in Cary, Nc just outside of Raleigh, NC. I am just in the process of deciding the treatment I am going to go with either mastectomy and reconstruction or lumpectomy with 6 weeks of radiation. I meet with a big team on Wed. at Chapel Hill where my case will be presented to the mult. disc. team.
    I am 39 (just turned when I was diagnosed in November) i have 2 girls 13 and 16. I have multiple sclerosis.

Glad to meet all of you with so many courageous stories and insight for newly diagnosed people.

Debbie