support

susy_q2
susy_q2 Member Posts: 5
I had surgery for uterine cancer followed by intensive chemo/rad. treatments over a year ago. Tried to go back to work to feel 'normal' again and almost had a breakdown. Seeing a psychiatrist who has me on Prozac/Buspar pending disability which hasn't activated yet. Energy level VERY low, would love a support group or anyone who can relate. thanks, Susy

Comments

• cherdaetwyler
    cherdaetwyler Member Posts: 156
    Hi Susy,
    I am currently in chemo after a double masectomy but I have a long history of chronic clinical depression, so I have been a depression support person for many years.
    I routinely take zoloft, have a prescription for buspar which I think is great stuff for the anxiety that so often accompanies depression, but I have to watch, because Buspar makes me unable to eat...like a chemically induced anorexia. When I was on Buspar in Oct- to mid-November I barely ate. Since I was doing well with emotions and had no current depression or annxiety I weaned my self off it.
    I am 55, I have the beginnings of my story on my web page.
    cher
  • phydeaux
    phydeaux Member Posts: 2
    I was treated for hodgkins in 1976-77 when I was 16 years old and although I recovered well physically,emotionally I was a mess.It was years before I was put on anti-depressants.I wish I had sought help sooner.Your emotional health very important in your complete recovery and there is nothing wrong with getting whatever help you need to feel "NORMAL" again.Please do not give up by reconciling with the idea that you are disabled Susy.You were ill and now its time to recover on many different levels.Keep intouch. PHYDEAUX
  • bevm
    bevm Member Posts: 1
    Susy;
    I went through surgery for endometrial cancer last year. After 6 months of chemotherapy, I waited one month and then went back to work to begin my recovery. Ever since, my emotions run high and my energy level is low. Normal everyday tasks are difficult to say the least. Every time I have a follow up appointment I get scared that they are going to tell me the cancer has returned. I stay scared until all of the tests come back normal. I understand what you're going through. Please hang in there and remember there are people who support you.
    Bev
  • denises
    denises Member Posts: 8
    Hi Susy
    I also had intensive chemo/rad.treatments last year.Still have no energy.Taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds daily.Often take naps and tire easily.I know what you're feeling and I sometime wonder will I ever be normall again.I have been assured things will become normall again.Try to be strong and good luck.

Denise
  • angelasmom
    angelasmom Member Posts: 2
    Suzyq2

Can relate well to what you are saying. I was treated for Vulvar CA almost two years ago, several complications and 31 of the most humiliating radiation treatments.
    Initially after a couple of weeks of DX went to the DR for anti-depressant..Paxil...did appear to help for awhile. Started at 20mg, then went to 30mg, on to 60mg...
    Got through the treatment but having extreme difficulty dealing with the emotional scarring. At urging of Oncologist am seeing a Psychiatrist for meds (depression and ANXIETY) were out of control. Currently on 30mg Paxil, Klonopin and Remeron. The Klonopin for anxiety and Remeron because I was having extreme difficulty sleeping and zero appetite. I have been eating one meal a day for the past two yrs, until recently when I can go two, three days with nothing. I am currently in the process of applying for permenant disability because of a back injury, bi-latteral lower limb lymphedema as well as the depression. Try as I might, even though I know how very blessed I am and GLAD to be alive, I cannot get past the emotional. Also at the urging of my ONC my husband and I are in couples counseling, albeit slow. Only have had two appt in past 6 wks, third one this week. WE "must to anything and everything to bring our lives back to a "normal" state..

Angelasmom
  • yazmene
    yazmene Member Posts: 6
    I too after cancer treatment tried to resume my life. I found it harder and harder to complete simple tasks. If I had more than one or two tasks to complete that day, I felt overwhelmed. I was suffering from extreme anxiety of the cancer coming back. It got so bad I didn't even want to leave my apt. in fear of having an attack in public. I finally went to my local doctor, and she decided to try me on Zoloft. I feel amazing now. I anxiety has for the most part subsided, and I actually feel as if I'm back to my happy self. But, I can't help but wonder how long will I have to take this drug? Did chemo cure my cancer, but cause a chemical imbalance in my brain?
  • pal33
    pal33 Member Posts: 1
    Susy,
    I would also love some support. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer; stage 3 in 1999. I had chemo/radiation. I was off work for close to a year. I also returned to work to feel 'normal'. I've gone through several jobs; some are too physical and too mentally draining. I've only been able to work part-time. I am still experiencing fatigue and a low white blood count (which I think is making me run down and picking up various bugs). I am now not working and will be starting Prozac drug therapy given to me by a psychiatrist. Any ideas on moving forward and returning to work?
  • wallpa
    wallpa Member Posts: 22
    pal33 said:

Susy,
    I would also love some support. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer; stage 3 in 1999. I had chemo/radiation. I was off work for close to a year. I also returned to work to feel 'normal'. I've gone through several jobs; some are too physical and too mentally draining. I've only been able to work part-time. I am still experiencing fatigue and a low white blood count (which I think is making me run down and picking up various bugs). I am now not working and will be starting Prozac drug therapy given to me by a psychiatrist. Any ideas on moving forward and returning to work?

I was diagnosed with stage IV Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma last December and was out of work for about 9 months. I am working part time now, too. I have finally figured out that we need to push ourselves. Chemo/radiation totally drained me. I am deconditioned. Do you know what we need? EXERCISE! The more I've been doing, the better I've been doing. It seemed hard to exercise when I needed a nap half-way through unloading the dishwasher, but it turned out to be the ticket! What a lifesaver!

Gleefully,

wallpa
  • karenleung
    karenleung Member Posts: 13
    wallpa said:

I was diagnosed with stage IV Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma last December and was out of work for about 9 months. I am working part time now, too. I have finally figured out that we need to push ourselves. Chemo/radiation totally drained me. I am deconditioned. Do you know what we need? EXERCISE! The more I've been doing, the better I've been doing. It seemed hard to exercise when I needed a nap half-way through unloading the dishwasher, but it turned out to be the ticket! What a lifesaver!

Gleefully,

wallpa

I was diagnosed with stage IV tonsil cancer last September. I thought it was the end of the world but I had strong willpower to fight the batter . The radiation and chemotherapy started in Nov and ended in Dec last year. A very intensive one and after completing the treatment, I was so naive as thinking that everything was over and that I could go back to work soon. It was not the case because the side effects simply emerged gradually, accumulating.In April this year, I was trapped in a terrible state of depression and was about to give up. Luckily with my family support and timely intervention from pschiatrist, I was able to stand on my own feet. I am now taking an anti-depressant called remeron and it worked well in my body.Now I go back to my usual work and resumed over 90% of my normal work. Thank God!