TO ALL.....

13»

Comments

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Same discussion on Caregivers board
    Hello everyone. I'm posting this as two discussions
    about this have been occurring on two different boards (maybe more)
    and oddly enough, roughly at the same time.

    I'd just recently finished chemo and was bouncing on prednisone
    so had difficulty in making my point.

    Catwink22 and I went back and forth for awhile and she helped me
    explain my point of view better. I've pasted that part of the
    discussion below. I also pasted links to both of these discussions.
    Forgive me Phil for not using your tips on how to make it show as a
    link. I did read that during one of my chemo fogs and plan to return to it.
    You have good information at your "expressions" and I appreciate that.

    Personally, I'm in favor of closing discussions - meaning locked to posts.
    If the topic comes up again, start a new discussion of the same topic.
    Perhaps they could set up links to similar closed discussions?

    I think of these discussions as "conversations" that are active while
    their are people paricipating within a reasonable period of time.
    Conversations do end. Another analogy would be a "conference call".
    Would you dial into a conference call that was scheduled/occured on 2/1/2001
    with no participation/activity since 4/15/2001 and attempt to participate?
    That is kind of what's happening - especially with newbies.

    I realize the information in some discussions is timeless and valuable - like
    tips on being a caregiver, how to deal with grief, etc. Maybe a solution here
    would be to "flag" those discussions for quick reference? Just a thought.

    Sometimes this website is unusally slow - I don't know if resources being used
    in indexing keywords and other things on active discussions is a factor or not.
    My thought is on "closed" discussions, there would be no need to re-index them
    as they would be completed (since no new posts).

    Anyway, thanks for letting me share my 2 1/2 cents :)

    Hugs and positive thoughts to all of you,

    Jim



    ---------------------------------------------------


    Jimwins:
    ==========

    Well, on many discussion forums the items
    do get closed to new posts at some point but the
    entire discussion (thread) does remain intact.

    Personally, I can work around things the way they are.
    Similar to LinvinginNH, I just happened to have a similar
    "annoyance" I guess to posting to something that really isn't
    active - for example a topic that has had no activity on
    it in a year or more.

    To me a discussion in this setting is like a "conversation"
    between two or more parties. The "conversation" is active
    while parties are still participating within a reasonable
    time frame. I mean most conversations (discussions) do
    end at some point.

    Maybe I'm just anal too :). I do tend to like things neat
    and orderly. I'm the kind of person who can tolerate clutter
    for a short while but if I'm around it too long, that's how
    I begin to think. Of course that was before chemo. Who knows
    what the "new me" is gonna be like ;).

    Catwink22 Response:
    =======================

    Now I understand! Thank you! It's like hanging up the phone
    (which I have a hard time doing lol).
    HELP! I'M TALKING AND I CAN'T SHUT UP!
    I didn't think of it as "conversations", but that is what it is.
    I'm a little OCD myself, I feel nervous if "things" get too chaotic, I just feel it's important to keep the information available.
    Purrrr Purrrr
    Cat

    Jimwins response:
    =========================

    Yes! I like the phone analogy.

    Sending hugs and catnip your way,

    Jim





    Colorectal Board discussion:
    -------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/229191

    Caregivers board discussion:
    ---------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/228762
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064
    Patteee said:

    and what about a caregiver,
    and what about a caregiver, we have a lot of them on the board, who didn't die, but still don't post.
    And what about those who never died and rarely if ever post anymore, like that spongebob person?
    and those that passed, maybe like a fancy funeral ribbon across their picture with RIP on it?
    (sorry, I wasn't serious, just throwing things out there)

    And you are right- some of these boards if you lock the threads after a certain period, then there would be no posts to respond to.

    I have seen a couple of great "john" posts to some of the threads, like, "say, you might want to post this in a new thread as so-and-so can't respond, or they don't come here anymore"

    I still think just to leave them alone.

    Great conversation though!

    :):)

    Ah Sponger.....
    those were the days! What fun he was.....he's still alive and kicking....just moved on or is out in the ocean somewhere protecting us.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    jimwins said:

    Same discussion on Caregivers board
    Hello everyone. I'm posting this as two discussions
    about this have been occurring on two different boards (maybe more)
    and oddly enough, roughly at the same time.

    I'd just recently finished chemo and was bouncing on prednisone
    so had difficulty in making my point.

    Catwink22 and I went back and forth for awhile and she helped me
    explain my point of view better. I've pasted that part of the
    discussion below. I also pasted links to both of these discussions.
    Forgive me Phil for not using your tips on how to make it show as a
    link. I did read that during one of my chemo fogs and plan to return to it.
    You have good information at your "expressions" and I appreciate that.

    Personally, I'm in favor of closing discussions - meaning locked to posts.
    If the topic comes up again, start a new discussion of the same topic.
    Perhaps they could set up links to similar closed discussions?

    I think of these discussions as "conversations" that are active while
    their are people paricipating within a reasonable period of time.
    Conversations do end. Another analogy would be a "conference call".
    Would you dial into a conference call that was scheduled/occured on 2/1/2001
    with no participation/activity since 4/15/2001 and attempt to participate?
    That is kind of what's happening - especially with newbies.

    I realize the information in some discussions is timeless and valuable - like
    tips on being a caregiver, how to deal with grief, etc. Maybe a solution here
    would be to "flag" those discussions for quick reference? Just a thought.

    Sometimes this website is unusally slow - I don't know if resources being used
    in indexing keywords and other things on active discussions is a factor or not.
    My thought is on "closed" discussions, there would be no need to re-index them
    as they would be completed (since no new posts).

    Anyway, thanks for letting me share my 2 1/2 cents :)

    Hugs and positive thoughts to all of you,

    Jim



    ---------------------------------------------------


    Jimwins:
    ==========

    Well, on many discussion forums the items
    do get closed to new posts at some point but the
    entire discussion (thread) does remain intact.

    Personally, I can work around things the way they are.
    Similar to LinvinginNH, I just happened to have a similar
    "annoyance" I guess to posting to something that really isn't
    active - for example a topic that has had no activity on
    it in a year or more.

    To me a discussion in this setting is like a "conversation"
    between two or more parties. The "conversation" is active
    while parties are still participating within a reasonable
    time frame. I mean most conversations (discussions) do
    end at some point.

    Maybe I'm just anal too :). I do tend to like things neat
    and orderly. I'm the kind of person who can tolerate clutter
    for a short while but if I'm around it too long, that's how
    I begin to think. Of course that was before chemo. Who knows
    what the "new me" is gonna be like ;).

    Catwink22 Response:
    =======================

    Now I understand! Thank you! It's like hanging up the phone
    (which I have a hard time doing lol).
    HELP! I'M TALKING AND I CAN'T SHUT UP!
    I didn't think of it as "conversations", but that is what it is.
    I'm a little OCD myself, I feel nervous if "things" get too chaotic, I just feel it's important to keep the information available.
    Purrrr Purrrr
    Cat

    Jimwins response:
    =========================

    Yes! I like the phone analogy.

    Sending hugs and catnip your way,

    Jim





    Colorectal Board discussion:
    -------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/229191

    Caregivers board discussion:
    ---------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/228762

    The re is value in old post.
    The re is value in old post. Why go over the same thing again if the info is out there. The value is still there
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    Nana b said:

    The re is value in old post.
    The re is value in old post. Why go over the same thing again if the info is out there. The value is still there

    Everyone agrees on this Nana
    No one wants the old posts eliminated, just locked, so they become more like reference material instead of ongoing conversations.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    wolfen said:

    An Additional Solution
    If it is decided not to lock "old" threads and you notice a new member waiting for a response from someone who is no longer with us, you might do a kindness by making them aware of that fact or calling their attention to the original thread date. When I was a new member, I did not search for a specific topic. It was just a big general cry for any and all help.

    Blake and John,

    Fascinating to see you guys getting along. Just don't get too mushy on us.

    Luv,

    Wolfen

    Great Suggestion Wolfen
    A Private Message to the person would be a very kind gesture. I'm not sure if some people don't realize that members can send private emails to each other. I've seen so many things posted in the past that are really conversations between two people yet it's carried out in public.
    Go figure...
    -p
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    2bhealed said:

    Ah Sponger.....
    those were the days! What fun he was.....he's still alive and kicking....just moved on or is out in the ocean somewhere protecting us.

    SpongeBob
    Protecting us from Mr. Crab
    ;-)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    jimwins said:

    Same discussion on Caregivers board
    Hello everyone. I'm posting this as two discussions
    about this have been occurring on two different boards (maybe more)
    and oddly enough, roughly at the same time.

    I'd just recently finished chemo and was bouncing on prednisone
    so had difficulty in making my point.

    Catwink22 and I went back and forth for awhile and she helped me
    explain my point of view better. I've pasted that part of the
    discussion below. I also pasted links to both of these discussions.
    Forgive me Phil for not using your tips on how to make it show as a
    link. I did read that during one of my chemo fogs and plan to return to it.
    You have good information at your "expressions" and I appreciate that.

    Personally, I'm in favor of closing discussions - meaning locked to posts.
    If the topic comes up again, start a new discussion of the same topic.
    Perhaps they could set up links to similar closed discussions?

    I think of these discussions as "conversations" that are active while
    their are people paricipating within a reasonable period of time.
    Conversations do end. Another analogy would be a "conference call".
    Would you dial into a conference call that was scheduled/occured on 2/1/2001
    with no participation/activity since 4/15/2001 and attempt to participate?
    That is kind of what's happening - especially with newbies.

    I realize the information in some discussions is timeless and valuable - like
    tips on being a caregiver, how to deal with grief, etc. Maybe a solution here
    would be to "flag" those discussions for quick reference? Just a thought.

    Sometimes this website is unusally slow - I don't know if resources being used
    in indexing keywords and other things on active discussions is a factor or not.
    My thought is on "closed" discussions, there would be no need to re-index them
    as they would be completed (since no new posts).

    Anyway, thanks for letting me share my 2 1/2 cents :)

    Hugs and positive thoughts to all of you,

    Jim



    ---------------------------------------------------


    Jimwins:
    ==========

    Well, on many discussion forums the items
    do get closed to new posts at some point but the
    entire discussion (thread) does remain intact.

    Personally, I can work around things the way they are.
    Similar to LinvinginNH, I just happened to have a similar
    "annoyance" I guess to posting to something that really isn't
    active - for example a topic that has had no activity on
    it in a year or more.

    To me a discussion in this setting is like a "conversation"
    between two or more parties. The "conversation" is active
    while parties are still participating within a reasonable
    time frame. I mean most conversations (discussions) do
    end at some point.

    Maybe I'm just anal too :). I do tend to like things neat
    and orderly. I'm the kind of person who can tolerate clutter
    for a short while but if I'm around it too long, that's how
    I begin to think. Of course that was before chemo. Who knows
    what the "new me" is gonna be like ;).

    Catwink22 Response:
    =======================

    Now I understand! Thank you! It's like hanging up the phone
    (which I have a hard time doing lol).
    HELP! I'M TALKING AND I CAN'T SHUT UP!
    I didn't think of it as "conversations", but that is what it is.
    I'm a little OCD myself, I feel nervous if "things" get too chaotic, I just feel it's important to keep the information available.
    Purrrr Purrrr
    Cat

    Jimwins response:
    =========================

    Yes! I like the phone analogy.

    Sending hugs and catnip your way,

    Jim





    Colorectal Board discussion:
    -------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/229191

    Caregivers board discussion:
    ---------------------------------

    http://csn.cancer.org/node/228762

    Deleted my Post
    The topic was too old...
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064
    PhillieG said:

    SpongeBob
    Protecting us from Mr. Crab
    ;-)

    BAHAHAHA!
    Or squidworth.....just sayin'.
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    PhillieG said:

    Deleted my Post
    The topic was too old...

    Hey Phil....bro...
    Phillie -

    Some links for you, bro. There's a ton more than I ever thought existed,
    but I'll just give you three good ones to start with:

    Should I get a Colostomy?

    I Need Someone to Talk to.

    rectal cancer treatments & surgery

    Ya'know.... Instead of "locking down old threads", we should demand
    the prohibition of -new- threads, and just continue the old ones forever!

    All in favor, click here :



    Be well (and sane)

    John
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    PhillieG said:

    Deleted my Post
    The topic was too old...

    Cute
    Phunny ;)

    Okay, I went back and re-read your expression about creating links.
    This time, less chemo fog :).


    Phil's posts could never get too old ;)

    Looks like John had similar idea and beat me to it.

    Guess I need to start learning HTML :)

    Hugs,

    Jim
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    jimwins said:

    Cute
    Phunny ;)

    Okay, I went back and re-read your expression about creating links.
    This time, less chemo fog :).


    Phil's posts could never get too old ;)

    Looks like John had similar idea and beat me to it.

    Guess I need to start learning HTML :)

    Hugs,

    Jim
    Up to Speed Yet?


    Do You Want To Format Your Hard Drive?




    MsgBox" 'Click OK to STOP Format of Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'Are You Sure You Do NOT want to Format The HD?' "
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TREAT OR FORMAT, LAST CHANCE!'"
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    John23 said:

    Up to Speed Yet?


    Do You Want To Format Your Hard Drive?




    MsgBox" 'Click OK to STOP Format of Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'Are You Sure You Do NOT want to Format The HD?' "
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TREAT OR FORMAT, LAST CHANCE!'"
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "

    Where's my data - lol ?
    Thanks for the laugh - always good to smile :).
    Sending you virtual candy across the scary web -
    watch out for the spiders ;).

    Happy Halloween :<( !
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,715 Member
    John23 said:

    Up to Speed Yet?


    Do You Want To Format Your Hard Drive?




    MsgBox" 'Click OK to STOP Format of Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'Are You Sure You Do NOT want to Format The HD?' "
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TRICK OR TREAT?'"
    MsgBox" 'TREAT OR FORMAT, LAST CHANCE!'"
    MsgBox" 'Now Formatting Hard Drive' "

    My Hard Drive
    What did you do to my hard drive - I said no :)

    Happy Halloween :) Kim
  • TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352

    My Hard Drive
    What did you do to my hard drive - I said no :)

    Happy Halloween :) Kim

    Show-em but lock-em!!
    I must say this was an enjoyable thread to read. All the right characters for a knock down drag out debate gone bad, and yet it didnt happen!! I can see everyone point but my vote (as if it matters) would be to show the data but lock from any one from posting to it.
    It's really good to every getting along. Tom
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    Talking to the dead
    Happened again, with long time members sending messages of hope to the dearly departed.

    I'm reminded of working at a company where most (not all) of our email was stored on the server. When the server would go off-line, you could only see the messages from the last time you manually synched, typically several week previous. This often resulted in panicked, reply all messages that could be pretty humorous, even if they were sometimes career damaging.

    John,

    Have you ever asked Greta if locking the threads was even possible?
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,715 Member
    Buckwirth said:

    Talking to the dead
    Happened again, with long time members sending messages of hope to the dearly departed.

    I'm reminded of working at a company where most (not all) of our email was stored on the server. When the server would go off-line, you could only see the messages from the last time you manually synched, typically several week previous. This often resulted in panicked, reply all messages that could be pretty humorous, even if they were sometimes career damaging.

    John,

    Have you ever asked Greta if locking the threads was even possible?

    Yup
    Thought I just saw that. Might be best just to lock up these post from further posting after a certain amount of time.

    Kim
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    Buckwirth said:

    Talking to the dead
    Happened again, with long time members sending messages of hope to the dearly departed.

    I'm reminded of working at a company where most (not all) of our email was stored on the server. When the server would go off-line, you could only see the messages from the last time you manually synched, typically several week previous. This often resulted in panicked, reply all messages that could be pretty humorous, even if they were sometimes career damaging.

    John,

    Have you ever asked Greta if locking the threads was even possible?

    Old threads....

    Hi Blake !

    Greta PM'd me on 11/04/11, to tell me that she is still looking into it.

    Since there's no "webmaster" listed on the site, there's no way we
    can address it to a "higher level", and I doubt Greta would appreciate
    anyone doing so (or maybe she would?).

    There are very few BBS software packages that do not have the
    ability to prevent posting to old threads (they don't use a database
    management system like MySQL), but programs of this forum's
    magnitude are usually expected to have the ability.

    The word "lock" seems to raise the hair follicles of the average
    user, and perhaps using the wording: "prevent posting to", may
    generate a better understanding of what's needed.

    And to underscore again, for readers that miss the point:

    It isn't about "feeling bad, sorry, unhappy, etc" about having
    to read the words of the departed....

    It is about having unsuspecting people posting questions to,
    and/or expecting answers from, other individuals that are
    long gone.

    There is absolutely no valid reason to regenerate a thread that
    has been moved to the archives. If the topic is that old, and the
    topic is desired to be revisited, then a new thread should be started.

    There are very, very few BBS websites that -do not- prevent
    posting to archived threads, and most all will archive anything
    more than 6 months old.

    I hope that explains the entire matter better?

    (good seein' ya', Blake!)

    Best to all,

    John