was so loved by so many.....

Please do not take offense to this note, we ALL find ourselves
posting to old threads at times.

I have contacted Greta a few times already, and have asked for the
old (archived) threads to be locked, making it impossible to add
posts to them. That would solve the problem! But alas, nothing
has been corrected as yet.

Perhaps if each of you ask Greta to forward our plea to stop allowing
postings to old threads, it will help the cause.

Every Forum board program has that capability, and it's up to the
"webmaster' to fix the coding.

It's bad enough to read of a death the first time around, but to see
new people posting to those that have long gone, is a painful redundancy.

Stay well,

John

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    I Don't Understand Why John
    Some posts may be old but that doesn't make the topic irrelevant does it? I know it can be unnerving to see posts from those who have departed but their words are still important to many.
    This conversation has come up again recently as you noted John. Nana B mentioned it recently too. I also emailed Greta to see if we can come up with a solution that most of us feel will address this important issue. I suggested that we have some sort of icon or generic avatar for those who are no longer with us. They can use that avatar in the threads but keep the avatar that our friends used on their About Me page.

It is an important issue but I'm not sure that locking the topic, which would prevent others from commenting, would be helpful to US as a community.

To all that respond, does a generic icon (a flower perhaps?) seem like a solution or would fellow members prefer the topic be locked ?
    Of course, neither can be done, both can be done, or other suggestions are invited.
    Hopefully we can come up with a solution that helps the living while not silencing those we've lost.

I hope that my words of wisdom continue on after I'm gone.
    Then many of you can finally have the last word with me on one of my comments ;-)
    Peace
    -phil
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    PhillieG said:

Some posts may be old but that doesn't make the topic irrelevant does it? I know it can be unnerving to see posts from those who have departed but their words are still important to many.
    This conversation has come up again recently as you noted John. Nana B mentioned it recently too. I also emailed Greta to see if we can come up with a solution that most of us feel will address this important issue. I suggested that we have some sort of icon or generic avatar for those who are no longer with us. They can use that avatar in the threads but keep the avatar that our friends used on their About Me page.

It is an important issue but I'm not sure that locking the topic, which would prevent others from commenting, would be helpful to US as a community.

To all that respond, does a generic icon (a flower perhaps?) seem like a solution or would fellow members prefer the topic be locked ?
    Of course, neither can be done, both can be done, or other suggestions are invited.
    Hopefully we can come up with a solution that helps the living while not silencing those we've lost.

Then many of you can finally have the last word with me on one of my comments ;-)
    Peace
    -phil

i prefer a solution along phils lines
    i appreciate johns and others feelings and am really happy either way.

for me being reminded of the words from someone who has died reminds me of their contribution here with fondness. We all have different responses to this infrequent issue. often just a comment on the post and a pm to whoever bring an old post to life would see the issue handled.

i view it as the deceased contributions here still have value and relevance.

words of wisdom, well yes sometimes:-)

hugs,
    pete
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Locking a Post
    We shouldn't lock a post. There are many times I didn't want to ask a question just because maybe it has already been asked and found one 4 years old. I also noticed that John had posted and he passed last year too. He was very knowledgeable on many things and to lock his posts would do no good. Think we should leave things as they are. Just my two cents.

Kim
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    PhillieG said:

Peace
    -phil

I agree with Phil
    I agree with Phil too....maybe as suggested some sort of symbol to show the person has passed over. But I think it's important to remember that not everyone who has quit posting has died. They may have just moved on and are finally free of cancer and all of its lingering fallout.
    Peace~
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    PhillieG said:

Peace
    -phil

Phil (and others)

Re:
    "It is an important issue but I'm not sure that locking the topic,
    which would prevent others from commenting, would be
    helpful to US as a community. "

The earlier threads can be read, but anyone wishing to refer to
    that thread would have to start a new thread to do so.

That is the customary and most practical solution, and one
    that most -all- webmasters use to prevent old threads from
    being regenerated while preserving the useful data of the
    old threads.

While a forum's data is important and should be readable to visitors,
    directing questions or answers to the departed (death or otherwise),
    is a futile and embarrassing experience to the unknowing.

Answering a post that is a year old (in this case two (2) years old),
    is almost absurd. But the one newly contributing to such an old thread
    had no way to know that the thread had been errantly "reborn" recently
    in the same manner that the new contributor has provided a "rebirth".

There are very few BBS and forums that do not lock old threads,
    but those that neglect to do so, usually aren't dealing with such
    sensitive material.

And to clarify again..... the issue isn't "not being able to read the data",
    it's regarding those that expect a reply from those that can never
    again do so.

It can be even more unnerving, to ask a question about a treatment
    one's hopeful about, only to learn that the one they're asking has
    long ago died in spite of that treatment.

Kinda' takes the wind out of the sails.....

Best wishes,

John
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Locking threads
    leaves them readable to anyone who is searching that particular topic.

In a typical forum, it is used to end discussion on a particular issue (usually when it gets to heated) and is done in lieu of deleting the thread.

If, after reading an old thread, a new user still had questions they would be free to start a new discussion topic.

Personally, I am in favor of John's recommendation, if it is something that can be accomplished with the software used on this forum (I do not assume that all forums have the same abilities). Perhaps locking all threads that are more than six months old (again, you could read them, just not post to them)?

There is a thread Phil started in the Spirituality forum which now has well over 200 responses, and I have notice that when you try to access the new posts it just goes to the start, it seems that we have exceeded the capabilities of the of software. This would be another case where locking the thread might make some sense.

Having an avatar that represents deceased is a good idea, but might be difficult to manage. This forum is over 10 years old, and how would Greta determine between deceased and someone who just stopped posting?

Blake
  • Buckwirth
    Double Post
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Buckwirth said:

Double Post

Lock em up!
    Ya.... I'm for locking them up..... seems the most logical since you can still access and read them and this would prevent posting to them. Yes..no way Greta could keep up with the deaths. Did I actually agree with John and Blake???????????? hummmmmmm..... LOL

Jennie
  • Buckwirth

Lock em up!
    Ya.... I'm for locking them up..... seems the most logical since you can still access and read them and this would prevent posting to them. Yes..no way Greta could keep up with the deaths. Did I actually agree with John and Blake???????????? hummmmmmm..... LOL

Jennie

More importantly
    Did John and Blake just agree?

Did I just see a flying pig?

:smile:
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Buckwirth said:

More importantly
    Did John and Blake just agree?

Did I just see a flying pig?

:smile:

Ya Blake...
    Thats what I meant.... LOL..thought I was seeing flying pigs too! lol

Jennie
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member

Lock em up!

Jennie

HUH !
    Wow.... I read Blake's post and thought I was dreaming...

I had a few drinks...came back... any HOLY CARP~

Blake's post is real..... REAL....

REAL

(I need another drink)

Good health to ya', Mr. Blake!

John
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    John23 said:

HUH !

REAL

(I need another drink)

John
    Heh, heh, heh
    Sometimes the personalities are the best part of this site!! Love the interaction!
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    John23 said:

HUH !

REAL

(I need another drink)

John
    Lock the threads
    It's always a shock to see someone replying to a post whose author is no longer with us.

And Blake and John23 agreeing just made my day LOL

Best
  • son of hal
    son of hal Member Posts: 117
    I too have fallen victim to
    I too have fallen victim to the dreaded "old subject thread" and spent time reading many replies only to notice the question was very outdated or the posting member was no longer here. Frustrating.... I agree with the locking of the thread concept. It's usefull to read them but of little value to post to an old thread.
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    I say leave them as they
    I say leave them as they are. It is a shock to see dear people come up and truthfully I prefer to avoid "uncomfortable" feelings at all times. However difficult it is, even as the tears fall now, the people who cancer has taken from our lives IS ONE OF THE REASONS I CONTINUE TO POST HERE. I see Donna picture and read her words and I am reminded over and over again what this vile disease has robbed us all of. Their lives, their battle, what they lost and their families/friends lost are a HUGE part of the cancer journey. They were human beings who lived and breathed life into this board, they gave us pieces and parts that no medical clinic, no chemo, no juicing tidbits could ever, ever give us. I saw sweet John's face the other day and a snippet of a memory came back- when Adrian shared with us that John told him he was going to be a ghost for Halloween. And not only did it make me smile, I remembered what a fight he had and how horrible it was.
    Please don't lock the threads, don't take their pictures down. They are part of the journey, they are part of who we are. And it hurts, it is uncomfortable. But please don't let that uncomfortableness rob us all of what they gave to us and what this journey is all about.

With love from Minnesota
    Patteee
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Create an archive
    It is not unusual for an archive to be created for older threads on a forum. To archive them would mean their content would still be avaialable for read only, therefore the thoughts and information are preserved. It would also be helpful to have a seperate search on archived material.

I think a new thread most often will get more attention than one of the old ones with a new post.

Just my two cents.

Marie who loves kitties
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    I agree with Phil that the
    I agree with Phil that the post can be still provide help to those who need it. I would hope that even if I was no longer alive, that something I posted could help another.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

I agree with Phil that the
    I agree with Phil that the post can be still provide help to those who need it. I would hope that even if I was no longer alive, that something I posted could help another.

just look at us
    WOWSERS just look at us....having a real conversation...back and forth...

no freaking no yelling

yayyyyyyy us :):):)

mags
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    lock and keep
    I think threads over 6-12 months old should be locked. I prefer to keep the avatar because it is easier to associate images and faces than names on fragmented stories with dozens or hundreds of posts over several years. To me, the picture with a long series of posts sometimes feels somewhat like a visit with an old friend, and what made them special.

The detailed stories of those who have gone before us are very important to guide us in our battles. Once locked, if an old thread is truly needed, it could still be linked.
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    lock'em up!
    Ditto on voting to lock the old posts...be assured that this process keeps the old posts available to read, just no new comment ability. Perfect and easy solution to an ongoing problem.