Tough News - dixiegirl (Beth)

I received a CSN message (as dixiegirl) from Beth's husband yesterday informing me she lost her battle with cancer on 5/14/2013.  According to him, she picked up a parasite during chemo (cryptosporidium) and fought hard for two weeks but didn't have the strength to beat it.  Her husband said he would appreciate it if I shared the news with the group.  Many of you here knew Beth - she had been a member since 2006 and fought through several relapses and endured numerous treatments over the past several years.  

Below I've pasted something she posted in her expressions in 2007 about "compassion":

Thu, 04/26/2007 - 7:26pm — dixiegirl    

Thank you God for your lesson in compassion.

I thought that I understood what compassion was before cancer touched my life last year. I thought I knew what it felt like to lose someone you love to cancer because I lost my mother to this disease. I really thought I knew. Now I realize how much I didn't know.

I met someone that was introduced to me when I was at my oncologist this week. She is someone that I met once, and I worked with her ex-husband. Our lives didn't cross for 8 years till now. She has terminal pancreatic cancer and my heart truly goes out to her. My heart hurt for her and her family as she was getting her treatment and she seemed so content and confident sitting in the chair. When she commented that she would do treatment once a week till she was done....a part of me stayed with her in that room.

I realized that every time I walk down the street that any person I come in contact with could be traveling this same path with us. How humbling is that? I am learning every day how blessed we are to this lesson in compassion.

Thank you God. Thank you for showing me how to look beyond myself and give to someone else.

=====================================

My deepest sympathies to Beth's family. 

 

«1

Comments

  • Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,721 Member
    Thank you, Jim

    Jim,

    Thank you for sharing this. I wrote to Beth more than once at these boards that her marathon with treatments was the most incredible I had ever followed here.  What is most amazing is that her spirits were almost always high and forward-focused.

    May her family have peace in her memory.

    max

  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    Beth

    I have often wondered about Beth and her tough battles. She was here when I first started posting 3 years ago. We posted and she was always there to answer. Can't tell you how many times we sat and joked at 2am in the morning because neither of us could sleep for some reason or the other. It seemed she was always having a tough time, but always managed to fight it off. It seemed she had gone thru every treatment out there, but always came thru it with a smile. She was a fighter and a giver and cared about people. That's why I often thought about her and how she was doing. It wasn't like her to stop posting out of the blue. Wish we could have known earlier so we could have written her. Maybe she could not answer, but her husband could have let her know we were here for her. It's times like this that no words can be said to ease any pain. She did fight a couragious battle. Condolences go out to her family.  John 

  • Aaron
    Aaron Member Posts: 237

    Thank you, Jim

    Jim,

    Thank you for sharing this. I wrote to Beth more than once at these boards that her marathon with treatments was the most incredible I had ever followed here.  What is most amazing is that her spirits were almost always high and forward-focused.

    May her family have peace in her memory.

    max

    Sad news

    That's really awfull to hear. Beth was a source of inspiration for me during my treatment and always had very kind and positive things to say. My heart really goes out to her family, a woman of such high character will be greatly missed. Thanks for posting Jim 

  • DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    Aaron said:

    Sad news

    That's really awfull to hear. Beth was a source of inspiration for me during my treatment and always had very kind and positive things to say. My heart really goes out to her family, a woman of such high character will be greatly missed. Thanks for posting Jim 

    :(((( more sadness ...

    :(((( more sadness ...

  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    So sad

    I am at a loss for words. As John said, Beth was active with the group when we came along in the spring/summer of 2010. John in May and me in July. I too talked with Beth late at night especially on the prednisone weeks when sleep was so hard to come by. She was so supportive and had the greatest personality...easy going, funny and someone I always thought would be fun to know and hang around with. This totally breaks my heart. In the 3 years I've been with the group,Beth is the first to have passed away....so very hard to wrap my head around. It was 3 years ago yesterday when my Doctor told us I had cancer. God bless you Beth...Love Sue

  • illead
    illead Member Posts: 879 Member
    allmost60 said:

    So sad

    I am at a loss for words. As John said, Beth was active with the group when we came along in the spring/summer of 2010. John in May and me in July. I too talked with Beth late at night especially on the prednisone weeks when sleep was so hard to come by. She was so supportive and had the greatest personality...easy going, funny and someone I always thought would be fun to know and hang around with. This totally breaks my heart. In the 3 years I've been with the group,Beth is the first to have passed away....so very hard to wrap my head around. It was 3 years ago yesterday when my Doctor told us I had cancer. God bless you Beth...Love Sue

    So sorry

    I do remember her posting in the beginning of our journey but never really got to know her like you guys.  I know how we would feel to hear the same about any of you now, so can imagine the sadness you are all feeling.  We are so sorry for you all and for Beth's family of course.  Our love, Bill & Becky

  • Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 858 Member
    Beth (dixiegirl)

    I am too new here to have gotten to know Beth. To her husband, I would say: I am so sorry to the loss of your beloved wife. To those of you, here with this group, who developed a friendship with her, I say: I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    With love,

    Rocquie

     

  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    Beth

    Jim thank you for posting this.  And thank you for posting what Beth wrote.  She was a beautiful spirit - I am so sorry to hear that she lost this last battle.  My deepest condolences to her family. 

    Donna

  • rescue911chick
    rescue911chick Member Posts: 55
    So sorry for everyone's loss.

    So sorry for everyone's loss. Thank you for sharing her post, it was very beautifully written & a great lesson for all of us to remember. Praying for her family & friends

  • girliefighter
    girliefighter Member Posts: 232
    Beth

    My heart is heavy, Beth was right; we are all on the same path. Though our paths may never cross, we can appreciate someone else's journey. I did not get a chance to know Beth well, but that doesn't matter to me. Everyone on here is my family and I hurt when my family hurts. Beautiful souls that help other people ease their pains even when they are suffering their own, BETH you are a warrior and a HERO!

    xxxooo

    Carie

     

    May our Prayers reach you and May your Memories Comfort you

  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043
    COBRA666 said:

    Beth

    I have often wondered about Beth and her tough battles. She was here when I first started posting 3 years ago. We posted and she was always there to answer. Can't tell you how many times we sat and joked at 2am in the morning because neither of us could sleep for some reason or the other. It seemed she was always having a tough time, but always managed to fight it off. It seemed she had gone thru every treatment out there, but always came thru it with a smile. She was a fighter and a giver and cared about people. That's why I often thought about her and how she was doing. It wasn't like her to stop posting out of the blue. Wish we could have known earlier so we could have written her. Maybe she could not answer, but her husband could have let her know we were here for her. It's times like this that no words can be said to ease any pain. She did fight a couragious battle. Condolences go out to her family.  John 

    sorry I didn't think to lelet

    sorry I didn't think to lelet everybody know.  Beth went into the hospital 4/29 thought she'dd be out by  weekend.  Thursday night got worse &Friday morning moved to ccu.  Spent next 9 days fighting for life.  Can view her obit at penwell gabel paola ks websitr.

  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    dixiegirl said:

    sorry I didn't think to lelet

    sorry I didn't think to lelet everybody know.  Beth went into the hospital 4/29 thought she'dd be out by  weekend.  Thursday night got worse &Friday morning moved to ccu.  Spent next 9 days fighting for life.  Can view her obit at penwell gabel paola ks websitr.

    Sorry to hear about Beth

    She was such an inspiration to all of us that knew her from the site. She will be missed. I often thought of her, even though I do not post as much as I used too. Do not feel bad about not letting us know what was going on. We know Beth was on your mind at the time and nothing else. That is 110% understandable. So many people on here will post for a while and disappear without a word. That is what was worrying me about Beth  because I knew she was not that way. I appreciate you responding to us. Thank you. John

  • DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    dixiegirl said:

    sorry I didn't think to lelet

    sorry I didn't think to lelet everybody know.  Beth went into the hospital 4/29 thought she'dd be out by  weekend.  Thursday night got worse &Friday morning moved to ccu.  Spent next 9 days fighting for life.  Can view her obit at penwell gabel paola ks websitr.

    I'm very sorry for your lost.

    I'm very sorry for your lost. Similarly, my wonderful Dad was taken to hospital post sct and everything went downhill within couple weeks. It's very difficult when hopes are shattered so quickly. I lost my Dad last summer and it's been very difficult and gets so hard when the yr iscoming up and going through the hopes of sct we had last yr and what happened afterwards all over again... I can with others here relate to how difficult it must be. Wishing Beth and all her loved ones comfort and peace. She was a very sweet strong individual and she will be greatly missed. Afterall, they're never truly are gone because they are still part of our lives with the love we have for them and they live through our thoughts and love... Please take care... Our sincere thoughts with Beth, you, her father, sister and all her loved ones...

  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    Extremely Sad News!
    My deepest condolences to Beth's family. Can't even imagine what you'll are going through! I can only say that she is now in peace and is no longer suffering. We will miss her greatly!

    Sincerely,
    Liz
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401

    Extremely Sad News!
    My deepest condolences to Beth's family. Can't even imagine what you'll are going through! I can only say that she is now in peace and is no longer suffering. We will miss her greatly!

    Sincerely,
    Liz

    Got me to thinking

       Hearing this about Beth has really got me thinking about other members that were on here when I first started posting. Vinny, Cooking girl, Maggie, Tom vine, Catwink and others that I can't remember because its been so long since they have posted. Scuttlebug came later, but I wonder about her too. Most of you will probably not remember them, but the old timers will and also remember ones that I have forgotten to list. John

  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    COBRA666 said:

    Got me to thinking

       Hearing this about Beth has really got me thinking about other members that were on here when I first started posting. Vinny, Cooking girl, Maggie, Tom vine, Catwink and others that I can't remember because its been so long since they have posted. Scuttlebug came later, but I wonder about her too. Most of you will probably not remember them, but the old timers will and also remember ones that I have forgotten to list. John

    Hi John

    Hi John,

    I'm also worried about them too (Maggie, Vinny, Denise, and Nathan) I hope that they're doing fine and just too busy living life to post anymore! Take care John (((Hugs)))

    Sincerely,

    Liz

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107

    Hi John

    Hi John,

    I'm also worried about them too (Maggie, Vinny, Denise, and Nathan) I hope that they're doing fine and just too busy living life to post anymore! Take care John (((Hugs)))

    Sincerely,

    Liz

    You can check the "about me" page

    You can check a person's "about me" page and see when that login was last used.  for example, Vinny (vinny59) last logged in on 6/5/2013.  I haven't checked all the others but that might give an indication if they are logging in but not participating which we all do from time to time.  Of course it could be someone else using their login but most likely not.

    Just a thought.  I wonder about these folks too.

    Jim

     

  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    jimwins said:

    You can check the "about me" page

    You can check a person's "about me" page and see when that login was last used.  for example, Vinny (vinny59) last logged in on 6/5/2013.  I haven't checked all the others but that might give an indication if they are logging in but not participating which we all do from time to time.  Of course it could be someone else using their login but most likely not.

    Just a thought.  I wonder about these folks too.

    Jim

     

    Whew !!!

    Jim,

      I went to the member directory and thousands of names popped up. Is there an easier way? John

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    COBRA666 said:

    Whew !!!

    Jim,

      I went to the member directory and thousands of names popped up. Is there an easier way? John

    Hi John

    Click on Search CSN Members (upper right  screen) enter full login name.  You need to know the full login name.

     

  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    jimwins said:

    Hi John

    Click on Search CSN Members (upper right  screen) enter full login name.  You need to know the full login name.

     

    O-key-Doke

    Thanks Jim,  that makes it so much easier. John

      BTW: Did you notice when you go thru the list of cancers that Lymphoma is missing. You think they be signifying us.  Maybe they figure its just a minor cancer and not worth listing. Wouldn't that be nice?