Unsure and very worried!

Hi there first time poster, nice to meet you all, about 4-5 weeks ago i noticed 2 glands ( one either side ) in my neck had swollen up but no pain came from this so  i went to doctor and he told me that unless they had been up for 8 weeks or more he didn't care ( the actual words he used ) so i trusted him and kept on going but now i have 4 glands swollen in my groin area 3 on the left one on the right, the ones on the left are very tender and cause  me pain and discomfort also more glands in my neck have popped up again with no pain.... i feel fine in myself but am in hospital now overnight for observation.

 

I am freaking out! I am 22 years old and lost my father to cancer in October 2012 and i don't know what to do with myself.

going for chest Xray tomorrow and an ultrasound on my lower abdimon so far my only symptons are

 

- Very occasional night sweats ( but i always put this down to some sort of dream i was having )

- Swollen Lymph nodes in throat and groin

- Painfull lymph nodes in groin ( left side )

- No nausea at the moment except the sick with worry feeling 

 

Any questions please feel free to ask and any advice is welcome 

I Admire everyone on this site for how supportive they are being for eachother, it really does bring a tear to my eyes and i think you are all wonderful people! God bless 

 

Phill

 

 

«13

Comments

  • NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289
    UNSURE AND VERY WORRIED

    Hello Phil:

    I was diagnosed with lymphoma early in 2012.  Had regular checkup and regular blood test.  My internist found that my white cells were high.  She sent me right away to an Oncologist/Hematologist at a cancer center nearby  Am having Rituxan infusions every six months.  Finish this at the end of this year.  Am doing well with the Rituxan.

    I hope you are seeing a cancer specialist, an Oncologist.

    I am sure others will get back to you soon on the board.  Maybe with more information. 

    You are going through a terrible time having lost your father recently on top of this worry.  The people here are very empathetic and helpful.

    I hope your X-ray and Ultrasound tomorrow are good.

    Let us know.

    Nancy

  • DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    I'm very  sorry about what you're going through and especially l
    I'm very  sorry about what you're going through and especially loosing your Dad. I lost my wonderful Dad in Aug 2012 and there are no words to describe the pain of loosing loved ones... One misses them terribly and life will never be the same without them...  What type of cancer did he have? Similar symptoms? Diagnosis.. My Dad had DLBCL a type of lymphoma but he could not feel see them... You see many people living with cancer for 20, 30, 40 ... Yrs..   Definitely get it checked out  and make sure you don't stop until you get a definite reason for the swollen glands...hopefully it is nothing just some sort of virus infection causing it... Take care and pls keep us up to date... Try to stay calm, try not to worry unless there is a reason to worry... Easier said than done I know.. But try your best not to worry... Even if it is something else, there are so many treatments out there that will cure or put it in remission so keep strong to fightwhatever it may be.. Hopefully it is nothing.. That will clear by itself in time...
  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    NANCYL1 said:

    UNSURE AND VERY WORRIED

    Hello Phil:

    I was diagnosed with lymphoma early in 2012.  Had regular checkup and regular blood test.  My internist found that my white cells were high.  She sent me right away to an Oncologist/Hematologist at a cancer center nearby  Am having Rituxan infusions every six months.  Finish this at the end of this year.  Am doing well with the Rituxan.

    I hope you are seeing a cancer specialist, an Oncologist.

    I am sure others will get back to you soon on the board.  Maybe with more information. 

    You are going through a terrible time having lost your father recently on top of this worry.  The people here are very empathetic and helpful.

    I hope your X-ray and Ultrasound tomorrow are good.

    Let us know.

    Nancy

    I am glad your treatment is

    I am glad your treatment is going well and I hope you are not in too much pain / Discomfort.

     I still don't know what  is wrong with me the doctors think that because my groin glands are tender and hurt that I shouldn't be worried too much about cancer. My blood tests all seem to be normal still waiting on a few more to come back though.

     

    Will keep you guys informed please any info / advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated right now.

  • lianadw
    lianadw Member Posts: 72

    I am glad your treatment is

    I am glad your treatment is going well and I hope you are not in too much pain / Discomfort.

     I still don't know what  is wrong with me the doctors think that because my groin glands are tender and hurt that I shouldn't be worried too much about cancer. My blood tests all seem to be normal still waiting on a few more to come back though.

     

    Will keep you guys informed please any info / advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated right now.

    Hang in there

    Hi Phil,

    So sorry about the loss of your dad last year and now this health scare. I think the advice to see an oncolgist is really important. An oncologist will do all the tests that will rule out or confirm cancer. If it is cancer, it is very treatable. I know how scary this can be, but do your best to keep a sense of calm, knowing that no matter what your diagnosis, you can get treated and get well.

    I'm being treated for mediastinal diffuse large b cell lymphoma. It's not easy, but the treatment has been manageable. There's a good community here to help us through.

    Wishing you all the best,

    Liana

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Welcome Phil ☺

    I'm so sorry to hear about your father - you haven't had time to really heal from that and now you have the scare of cancer on top of that. You haven't been diagnosed yet and let's pray and be optimistic it is not cancer.  I agree with the others - you should see an oncologist.

    Please keep us updated and know you got friends here - okay?  You are welcome here anytime.

    Hugs buddy - Jim

     

  • illead
    illead Member Posts: 879 Member

    I am glad your treatment is

    I am glad your treatment is going well and I hope you are not in too much pain / Discomfort.

     I still don't know what  is wrong with me the doctors think that because my groin glands are tender and hurt that I shouldn't be worried too much about cancer. My blood tests all seem to be normal still waiting on a few more to come back though.

     

    Will keep you guys informed please any info / advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated right now.

    more encouragement

    Yes Phil, hang in there.  We agree with everyone else, make sure to see an oncologist and try not to worry.  In losing your father to cancer you have already learned "the language" so that probably makes your anxiety worse but like what was said, lymphoma is very treatable and usually reacts very well and fast to treatment.  Please know we care and our condolences to you in the loss of your father, know that is very hard.  Bill and Becky

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    jimwins said:

    Welcome Phil ☺

    I'm so sorry to hear about your father - you haven't had time to really heal from that and now you have the scare of cancer on top of that. You haven't been diagnosed yet and let's pray and be optimistic it is not cancer.  I agree with the others - you should see an oncologist.

    Please keep us updated and know you got friends here - okay?  You are welcome here anytime.

    Hugs buddy - Jim

     

    Thank you!

    Thank you Jim and thank you everyone it was incredibly hard losing my father 68 is too young for the age we live in and he is missed everyday by a lot of people friends and family alike 

    I am still worried and i will ask to see the oncologist but do you think what the doctors keep telling me is true? My blood work all comes back normal and the docs keep telling me that since my groin glands are tender and causing me pain that i should not be worried about lymphoma..... I really don't know what to think =[ sat in my hospital bed just trying to keep my mind busy by reading and drawing a little. Very odd / scary time right now and i so thankful to have all the support from good people like you lot =]

    If you guys do some sort of get together thing i would love to know so i could have the chance to shake all your hands personally =]

     

    P.S i do apologies for any grammar spelling and punctuation mistakes that i may type ( Slightly dyslexic and i hate the person who made that word so hard to spell! lol )

  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178

    Thank you!

    Thank you Jim and thank you everyone it was incredibly hard losing my father 68 is too young for the age we live in and he is missed everyday by a lot of people friends and family alike 

    I am still worried and i will ask to see the oncologist but do you think what the doctors keep telling me is true? My blood work all comes back normal and the docs keep telling me that since my groin glands are tender and causing me pain that i should not be worried about lymphoma..... I really don't know what to think =[ sat in my hospital bed just trying to keep my mind busy by reading and drawing a little. Very odd / scary time right now and i so thankful to have all the support from good people like you lot =]

    If you guys do some sort of get together thing i would love to know so i could have the chance to shake all your hands personally =]

     

    P.S i do apologies for any grammar spelling and punctuation mistakes that i may type ( Slightly dyslexic and i hate the person who made that word so hard to spell! lol )

    A few suggestions...

    Hi Phil,

     First of all "Welcome". I'm so sorry about the passing of your father, as it's always heart breaking when we lose loved ones. My prayers are with you. May I suggest that you ask your doctor to refer you to an Oncologist/Hemotologist and perhaps ask to have one of the larger swollen nodes surgically removed for biopsy. A CT/PET scan would also be good to have done. I had no symptoms other than a large swollen node in my groin and a smaller one on my neck. No pain or tenderness with either node and my blood work was fine. Only after removal and pathology done on the large groin node was I diagnosed with Follicular NHL-stage3(no bone involvement)grade2-typeA. My CTscan showed other tumors in my abdomen and under my clacical bone. One does not have to have symptoms, pain, or bad blood work to have Lymphoma. If you have insurance to cover the testing, I think it would be wise to follow through with continued testing to get a complete picture of what is going on. If need be, ask for a second opinion from another doctor not afilliated with the doctor you have now. It's better to be safe than sorry, and early detection is always better than waiting...in my opinion. Try to stay calm, but be persistant. Let us know what you find out. Best wishes, Sue(age 62)

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    allmost60 said:

    A few suggestions...

    Hi Phil,

     First of all "Welcome". I'm so sorry about the passing of your father, as it's always heart breaking when we lose loved ones. My prayers are with you. May I suggest that you ask your doctor to refer you to an Oncologist/Hemotologist and perhaps ask to have one of the larger swollen nodes surgically removed for biopsy. A CT/PET scan would also be good to have done. I had no symptoms other than a large swollen node in my groin and a smaller one on my neck. No pain or tenderness with either node and my blood work was fine. Only after removal and pathology done on the large groin node was I diagnosed with Follicular NHL-stage3(no bone involvement)grade2-typeA. My CTscan showed other tumors in my abdomen and under my clacical bone. One does not have to have symptoms, pain, or bad blood work to have Lymphoma. If you have insurance to cover the testing, I think it would be wise to follow through with continued testing to get a complete picture of what is going on. If need be, ask for a second opinion from another doctor not afilliated with the doctor you have now. It's better to be safe than sorry, and early detection is always better than waiting...in my opinion. Try to stay calm, but be persistant. Let us know what you find out. Best wishes, Sue(age 62)

    thank you for the kind words

    thank you for the kind words about my father and i really hope your treatment is going well! I will deffo ask to see the oncologist tomorrow after my chest xray / ultrasound i have tried asking the doctors several times if if could be cancer but they just keep saying it's most likley a virus of some kind and my body is having a tough time fighting it... 

     

    insurance is not needed as i live in the uk and have the NHS but i will deffo start the nagging process tomorrow! just hard to get all these bad thoughts out of my head =[

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107

    thank you for the kind words

    thank you for the kind words about my father and i really hope your treatment is going well! I will deffo ask to see the oncologist tomorrow after my chest xray / ultrasound i have tried asking the doctors several times if if could be cancer but they just keep saying it's most likley a virus of some kind and my body is having a tough time fighting it... 

     

    insurance is not needed as i live in the uk and have the NHS but i will deffo start the nagging process tomorrow! just hard to get all these bad thoughts out of my head =[

    Hello again

    Don't worry about MISSTAKES, grammar or typos Laughing and LYSDEXIA SKCUS.

    Did your father have lymphoma, Phil?

    image

  • NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289

    I am glad your treatment is

    I am glad your treatment is going well and I hope you are not in too much pain / Discomfort.

     I still don't know what  is wrong with me the doctors think that because my groin glands are tender and hurt that I shouldn't be worried too much about cancer. My blood tests all seem to be normal still waiting on a few more to come back though.

     

    Will keep you guys informed please any info / advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated right now.

    UNSURE AND VERY WORRIED

    Hi:

    Just thought I would list the tests I had at the Cancer Center after seeing the Oncologist:

    Blood tests, CT-SCAN, PT-SCAN, and a Bone Marrow Biopsy.

    Again, I hope things go well for you tomorrow.

    Nancy

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    jimwins said:

    Hello again

    Don't worry about MISSTAKES, grammar or typos Laughing and LYSDEXIA SKCUS.

    Did your father have lymphoma, Phil?

    image

    Not at first it was first in

    Not at first it was first in his bowel and then after chemo / surgeory and a year of the all clear it was found in his bowel, liver, stomach and lymph gland behinde the stomach which was in operable =[ 

     

     

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    jimwins said:

    Hello again

    Don't worry about MISSTAKES, grammar or typos Laughing and LYSDEXIA SKCUS.

    Did your father have lymphoma, Phil?

    image

    Being discharged! still going

    Being discharged! still going for ultrasound but the very angry sounding woman said there is no need for me to be in hospital for swollen glands! she didn't examin me she didn't ask me anything just looked at my blood works and said i should be sent home! i feel.... i don't know how i feel =/

  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107

    Being discharged! still going

    Being discharged! still going for ultrasound but the very angry sounding woman said there is no need for me to be in hospital for swollen glands! she didn't examin me she didn't ask me anything just looked at my blood works and said i should be sent home! i feel.... i don't know how i feel =/

    Glad you got to go home

    Glad you got to go home at least :).  I'm sorry the woman was rude to you.  I assume she was a doctor.  Please let us know how today goes.  As others have stated, try to stay calm.  Do things to distract yourself, take slow deep breaths and exercise some if you feel up to it or take a nice walk.  If you have a pet like a dog or cat, spend some time with them - animals can help calm the nerves I think sometimes.  If your pet is a gold fish, don't take him out of his tank/bowl and hold him - not usually good for fish! Wink  Watch something funny that you enjoy on the "tele" - laughter has a way of breaking tension and giving us a break from worry and stress.

    Above all know that you are human and what you are experiencing is very normal, Phil.  It sucks horribly but it's a process you have to work through.  You are dealing with grief and the scare of cancer at the same time and I'm sure a crazy host of emotions that come along with that.   You are young and strong and apparently a very nice, and sensitive person.  As much as it pains me to see one so young having to deal wtih this, I know you will get through this.  If it turns out you become a warrior against cancer (and I'm truly hoping not), you will have us here battling it with you.  If it turns out it's not cancer, we'll sing and dance with you!  You are not alone in this.  I hope you got a little sleep and rest last night and feel a little better today.

    Hugs and positive thoughts from across the pond,

    Jim

     

     

  • DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    jimwins said:

    Glad you got to go home

    Glad you got to go home at least :).  I'm sorry the woman was rude to you.  I assume she was a doctor.  Please let us know how today goes.  As others have stated, try to stay calm.  Do things to distract yourself, take slow deep breaths and exercise some if you feel up to it or take a nice walk.  If you have a pet like a dog or cat, spend some time with them - animals can help calm the nerves I think sometimes.  If your pet is a gold fish, don't take him out of his tank/bowl and hold him - not usually good for fish! Wink  Watch something funny that you enjoy on the "tele" - laughter has a way of breaking tension and giving us a break from worry and stress.

    Above all know that you are human and what you are experiencing is very normal, Phil.  It sucks horribly but it's a process you have to work through.  You are dealing with grief and the scare of cancer at the same time and I'm sure a crazy host of emotions that come along with that.   You are young and strong and apparently a very nice, and sensitive person.  As much as it pains me to see one so young having to deal wtih this, I know you will get through this.  If it turns out you become a warrior against cancer (and I'm truly hoping not), you will have us here battling it with you.  If it turns out it's not cancer, we'll sing and dance with you!  You are not alone in this.  I hope you got a little sleep and rest last night and feel a little better today.

    Hugs and positive thoughts from across the pond,

    Jim

     

     

    Jim is a very nice person...

    Jim is a very nice person... One of a kind!!!

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20
    DadysGirl said:

    Jim is a very nice person...

    Jim is a very nice person... One of a kind!!!

    Not just Jim daddysgirl

    Not just Jim daddysgirl everyone i can't get over how nice everyone is on this site and i will deffo let you know what happens as it developes =] thank you everyone and god bless you all! =]

     

    going for Ultrasound in about 20 mins so fingers crossed!!! =] wish me luck everyone! :)

  • DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346

    Not just Jim daddysgirl

    Not just Jim daddysgirl everyone i can't get over how nice everyone is on this site and i will deffo let you know what happens as it developes =] thank you everyone and god bless you all! =]

     

    going for Ultrasound in about 20 mins so fingers crossed!!! =] wish me luck everyone! :)

    True everyoneI here is great

    True everyoneI here is great just couldn't help myself to make the comment after reading his message to you :) 

    Good luck and hopefully you'll be giving us great clean news...

  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770

    Not just Jim daddysgirl

    Not just Jim daddysgirl everyone i can't get over how nice everyone is on this site and i will deffo let you know what happens as it developes =] thank you everyone and god bless you all! =]

     

    going for Ultrasound in about 20 mins so fingers crossed!!! =] wish me luck everyone! :)

    Hi Phill

    Hi Phill,

    Welcome to the group, I hope your ultrasound went fine. Do you get the results right away or are you going to have to wait for them (hate the waiting)? I really hope it's not cancer and just a stubborn virus. Please let us know what the doc says. Take care and stay strong.

    Sincerely,

    Liz

  • Tanker2360
    Tanker2360 Member Posts: 20

    Hi Phill

    Hi Phill,

    Welcome to the group, I hope your ultrasound went fine. Do you get the results right away or are you going to have to wait for them (hate the waiting)? I really hope it's not cancer and just a stubborn virus. Please let us know what the doc says. Take care and stay strong.

    Sincerely,

    Liz

    Just got back from my

    Just got back from my ultrasound and the lady who did it said she couldn't see anything out of the ordinary and everything looked fine ( still need to wait for the docs to look at it properly though )

     

    The waiting game begins again..... Will keep you guys updated! thank you again for the best wishes! all my fingers and toes are crossed and staying that way! 

  • epicc
    epicc Member Posts: 137

    Hi Phill

    Hi Phill,

    Welcome to the group, I hope your ultrasound went fine. Do you get the results right away or are you going to have to wait for them (hate the waiting)? I really hope it's not cancer and just a stubborn virus. Please let us know what the doc says. Take care and stay strong.

    Sincerely,

    Liz

    Good Luck Phi

    Hi Phil, I hope that your sonogram went well.  I'm keep my fingers crossed that you do not have cancer.  I'm am very sorry to hear about your dad.  It must be such a difficult time in your life.  I am praying for you.  My mom is sick in the hospital as we speak with Lymphoma.  She is 82 years old. She is having a tough time with the chemo.  She keeps getting infections.

    However, you are young.  If by some chance it is cancer, there is no doubt in my mind that you won't fight it.  Stay stong and do as Jim says, keep busy.  Everyone here is very supportive.  It truly is the best place to be.

     

    Hugs, Emily

     

    P.S.  Jim you always make everyone smile.  You really are awsome!!!!