3" mass in kidney.

robert_douglas_smith
robert_douglas_smith Member Posts: 82
edited October 2011 in Kidney Cancer #1
CT scan reviled 3" mass in kidney. Urologist this coming Thursday. Am still in shock>Don't really know all the questions I need and want to ask.
All this started from pre-surgical xrays before sinus surgery that after two CT found mass on kidney. Family Doctor said I would most probably loose the kidney.
My daughter said that it was a good thing I decided to have sinus surgery after 60 years.....
«134

Comments

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    Not fun too hear those words
    Dear Bob,

    Most of us on this board were diagnosed with RCC by accident and then we are told that we have to have surgery right out of the gate. Not fun. Mine was a littte over 9 years ago. Nearly all of our tumors are measured in cm not inches. If yours is in fact 3 cm. instaed of 3 inches it is relatively small and the survival rate approaches 100%. Even at 3 inches, if it has not spread the prognosis is very good. You will find a lot of help on this board getting thru the surgery and then the recovery. First help us out a little by double checking the size of the tumor.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    icemantoo said:

    Not fun too hear those words
    Dear Bob,

    Most of us on this board were diagnosed with RCC by accident and then we are told that we have to have surgery right out of the gate. Not fun. Mine was a littte over 9 years ago. Nearly all of our tumors are measured in cm not inches. If yours is in fact 3 cm. instaed of 3 inches it is relatively small and the survival rate approaches 100%. Even at 3 inches, if it has not spread the prognosis is very good. You will find a lot of help on this board getting thru the surgery and then the recovery. First help us out a little by double checking the size of the tumor.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo

    3" = 7.5 cm
    Hi Robert,

    There is no way to sugar coat what you are feeling and going through right now but you have some good things in your favor. Even if your tumor is 3" that roughly equals 7.5 cm and there are many people here leading "normal" lives after surgery for much larger tumors. The key with RCC is early detection (usually by accident) and it appears that you have this on your side. Mine was 5.1 cm and the Dr. said it had been with me for at least 2 years, it was found in the ER following an accident. RCC is generally slow growing, silent, and curable through surgery when caught early, the fact that yours was found when looking for something else is a very positive sign for you. As you follow the threads on this board you will learn that most of us are here for that reason. Ask your Doc's about open vs. laproscopic procedures and whether a partial nephrectomy is an option. Things are probably going to happen pretty fast and the more informed you are the more comfortable you can be with your situation/decisions. Keep us informed and we'll help you through it.

    Good luck and God speed,

    Gary
  • garym said:

    3" = 7.5 cm
    Hi Robert,

    There is no way to sugar coat what you are feeling and going through right now but you have some good things in your favor. Even if your tumor is 3" that roughly equals 7.5 cm and there are many people here leading "normal" lives after surgery for much larger tumors. The key with RCC is early detection (usually by accident) and it appears that you have this on your side. Mine was 5.1 cm and the Dr. said it had been with me for at least 2 years, it was found in the ER following an accident. RCC is generally slow growing, silent, and curable through surgery when caught early, the fact that yours was found when looking for something else is a very positive sign for you. As you follow the threads on this board you will learn that most of us are here for that reason. Ask your Doc's about open vs. laproscopic procedures and whether a partial nephrectomy is an option. Things are probably going to happen pretty fast and the more informed you are the more comfortable you can be with your situation/decisions. Keep us informed and we'll help you through it.

    Good luck and God speed,

    Gary

    Still feel lack of knowledge
    Gary,
    Until this Thursday I'm kinda sorta in the dark and not knowing what to expect.

    Doug
  • icemantoo said:

    Not fun too hear those words
    Dear Bob,

    Most of us on this board were diagnosed with RCC by accident and then we are told that we have to have surgery right out of the gate. Not fun. Mine was a littte over 9 years ago. Nearly all of our tumors are measured in cm not inches. If yours is in fact 3 cm. instaed of 3 inches it is relatively small and the survival rate approaches 100%. Even at 3 inches, if it has not spread the prognosis is very good. You will find a lot of help on this board getting thru the surgery and then the recovery. First help us out a little by double checking the size of the tumor.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo

    Everyone call me Doug
    Icemantoo

    The Dr. more than likely gave the cm size but as we talked he said 3" to put it in terms I understand. Whats so scary is I lost both parents to lung cancer. Mother in 1984 and Father just this past January. And a sister who is a breast cancer survivor.

    Doug
  • Vagusto
    Vagusto Member Posts: 86

    Everyone call me Doug
    Icemantoo

    The Dr. more than likely gave the cm size but as we talked he said 3" to put it in terms I understand. Whats so scary is I lost both parents to lung cancer. Mother in 1984 and Father just this past January. And a sister who is a breast cancer survivor.

    Doug

    Doug
    Hi Doug

    My kidney cancer was found on accident also. I finally had enough with stomach aches coming from the gallbladder area. I went for an ultrasound to confirm. Wondered why the technician was spending soooooo much time on my left side. They found a mass the size of my fist, about the size of my kidney. About three weeks later, what seemed to be an eternity, they took my kidney and the tumor. The recovery was no fun at all!! I had a open radical, lovely 8 inch cut on my tummy. I would say it took about a year before I felt almost back to normal. My Father passed away from kidney cancer 5 years ago. My Grandfather passed away from lung cancer. There is nothing like hearing those words...you have cancer. I try to stay super busy so that it doesn't consume my mind. Some days it works, some it doesn't. We're here to support you.
    Take Care
    Valerie
  • Vagusto said:

    Doug
    Hi Doug

    My kidney cancer was found on accident also. I finally had enough with stomach aches coming from the gallbladder area. I went for an ultrasound to confirm. Wondered why the technician was spending soooooo much time on my left side. They found a mass the size of my fist, about the size of my kidney. About three weeks later, what seemed to be an eternity, they took my kidney and the tumor. The recovery was no fun at all!! I had a open radical, lovely 8 inch cut on my tummy. I would say it took about a year before I felt almost back to normal. My Father passed away from kidney cancer 5 years ago. My Grandfather passed away from lung cancer. There is nothing like hearing those words...you have cancer. I try to stay super busy so that it doesn't consume my mind. Some days it works, some it doesn't. We're here to support you.
    Take Care
    Valerie

    Thanks Valerie
    Thanks Valerie
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300

    Thanks Valerie
    Thanks Valerie

    Hi Doug, I had a radical
    Hi Doug,

    I had a radical open nephrectomy one year ago this week of my left kidney. It was around 9cm. My incision was about 13 inches like an upside down hook under my diaphragm and down my left side due to location of the tumor.

    They removed my kidney and adrenal gland. I spent six days in the hospital. I used an epidural for pain management while in the hospital. It is a very painful surgery. They usually will have you up walking the next day which hurts but aids the healing process.

    My advice : eat SMALL portions, take a stool softener, sleep in a recliner, on a sofa or use a wedge in bed, take your pain meds, rest, don't know push yourself and make copies of all your records (keep copies), take notes, don't rush, and ask a lot of questions.

    If caught early, removing your kidney with follow up scans after is all you may need. Wishing you all the best.

    Rae
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Hey Doug!
    Nice to meet you - although would have been better had this not been a kidney cancer site!
    BUT that being said. You'll get through this. The surgery is no picnic but most definitely survivable and you'll find that the time really flies by! You'll have bad days and then just lay low and rest - walking is the best thing you can do for yourself as you recover - just from one end of your house to the other for the first few days - then you can gradually tackle your driveway and expand further as your strength returns. It is painful but not intolerable. I had an open radical including removal of adrenal gland - tumor was 6.5 cm - and I got off the prescription pain meds within the first week out of the hospital. They gave me a prescription for 'prescription strength' ibuprofin and that worked pretty well.

    Bottom line, RCC sucks! No sugar-coating it. And yes, 99.9% of the time, found by accident while looking for something else. You're not alone - all of us here are willing to listen no matter what your mood. Keep posting here - we'll be watching and holding you up in our thoughts and prayers.
  • rae_rae said:

    Hi Doug, I had a radical
    Hi Doug,

    I had a radical open nephrectomy one year ago this week of my left kidney. It was around 9cm. My incision was about 13 inches like an upside down hook under my diaphragm and down my left side due to location of the tumor.

    They removed my kidney and adrenal gland. I spent six days in the hospital. I used an epidural for pain management while in the hospital. It is a very painful surgery. They usually will have you up walking the next day which hurts but aids the healing process.

    My advice : eat SMALL portions, take a stool softener, sleep in a recliner, on a sofa or use a wedge in bed, take your pain meds, rest, don't know push yourself and make copies of all your records (keep copies), take notes, don't rush, and ask a lot of questions.

    If caught early, removing your kidney with follow up scans after is all you may need. Wishing you all the best.

    Rae

    Thanks Rae

    Thanks Rae
  • lbinmsp said:

    Hey Doug!
    Nice to meet you - although would have been better had this not been a kidney cancer site!
    BUT that being said. You'll get through this. The surgery is no picnic but most definitely survivable and you'll find that the time really flies by! You'll have bad days and then just lay low and rest - walking is the best thing you can do for yourself as you recover - just from one end of your house to the other for the first few days - then you can gradually tackle your driveway and expand further as your strength returns. It is painful but not intolerable. I had an open radical including removal of adrenal gland - tumor was 6.5 cm - and I got off the prescription pain meds within the first week out of the hospital. They gave me a prescription for 'prescription strength' ibuprofin and that worked pretty well.

    Bottom line, RCC sucks! No sugar-coating it. And yes, 99.9% of the time, found by accident while looking for something else. You're not alone - all of us here are willing to listen no matter what your mood. Keep posting here - we'll be watching and holding you up in our thoughts and prayers.

    To the urologist we go!
    I go to the urologist tomorrow to find out what is going on.
  • KatfromFlorida
    KatfromFlorida Member Posts: 66

    To the urologist we go!
    I go to the urologist tomorrow to find out what is going on.

    Hi Doug Welcome
    Hi Doug:

    I am beginning to believe that we are led to this place by our guardian angels. My surgery was 4 weeks ago and my cancer was also found by accident when I went to the doctor for some other reason.
    This is the place if you have questions or if your looking for support as the folks here are all here for the same or similar reasons and an amazing group of people :)
    My surgeon used the davinci robot to remove my 6cm tumor and some additonal tissue but I was able to keep most of my right kidney. Due to your tumor location, size etc this might be something you want to check into with your urologist. Some folks do not have a choice about retaining the entire kidney as the cancer is in control of that, however, if you prefer to try to keep the healthy portion of the organ a partial is your best option. ( If you live in an area where you have access to a surgeon that does this kind of surgery that is)
    Also too you must consider whether or not your comfortable with a partial removal as some folks decide to have the entire kidney removed in hopes of no recurrances in the future. Either way the surgery isn't fun and recovery takes time. Good luck with your meeting tomorrow and please keep us posted :) Prayers and much love being sent your way.

    My Best
    Kat
  • Hi Doug Welcome
    Hi Doug:

    I am beginning to believe that we are led to this place by our guardian angels. My surgery was 4 weeks ago and my cancer was also found by accident when I went to the doctor for some other reason.
    This is the place if you have questions or if your looking for support as the folks here are all here for the same or similar reasons and an amazing group of people :)
    My surgeon used the davinci robot to remove my 6cm tumor and some additonal tissue but I was able to keep most of my right kidney. Due to your tumor location, size etc this might be something you want to check into with your urologist. Some folks do not have a choice about retaining the entire kidney as the cancer is in control of that, however, if you prefer to try to keep the healthy portion of the organ a partial is your best option. ( If you live in an area where you have access to a surgeon that does this kind of surgery that is)
    Also too you must consider whether or not your comfortable with a partial removal as some folks decide to have the entire kidney removed in hopes of no recurrances in the future. Either way the surgery isn't fun and recovery takes time. Good luck with your meeting tomorrow and please keep us posted :) Prayers and much love being sent your way.

    My Best
    Kat

    Thank you, Kat

    Thank you, Kat
  • Thank you, Kat

    Thank you, Kat

    Urologist visit today
    Had my appointment with Dr Chan (urologist) today. Confirmed the mass in my left kidney is 6.7 cm and kidney will have to come out.Believes 1st stage cancer. Will schedule the surgery and call me tomorrow or Monday to confirm date.
    Have someone telling me not to let Dr remove kidney completely. My family doctor and urologist both recommend complete removal. Thought I knew what to do but not sure now. Have to make a decision very soon. Dr. does not want too do a biopsy. At this point we are making decision entirely from the CT scan. I just want it gone!!!

    Doug
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,360 Member

    Urologist visit today
    Had my appointment with Dr Chan (urologist) today. Confirmed the mass in my left kidney is 6.7 cm and kidney will have to come out.Believes 1st stage cancer. Will schedule the surgery and call me tomorrow or Monday to confirm date.
    Have someone telling me not to let Dr remove kidney completely. My family doctor and urologist both recommend complete removal. Thought I knew what to do but not sure now. Have to make a decision very soon. Dr. does not want too do a biopsy. At this point we are making decision entirely from the CT scan. I just want it gone!!!

    Doug

    Stay positive
    Doug,

    The doctor has to make a decision on whether to try a partial which has to do with the size and location of the tumor. You may want to get a second opinion. As for a biopsy they are uncommon as the doctor can pretty much tell it is RCC from the CT scan. The good news is that in many cases the surgery takes care of the RCC for life although you are given further tests for a number of years. I wish I could sugar coat the surgery, but I can not.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo
  • icemantoo said:

    Stay positive
    Doug,

    The doctor has to make a decision on whether to try a partial which has to do with the size and location of the tumor. You may want to get a second opinion. As for a biopsy they are uncommon as the doctor can pretty much tell it is RCC from the CT scan. The good news is that in many cases the surgery takes care of the RCC for life although you are given further tests for a number of years. I wish I could sugar coat the surgery, but I can not.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo

    Decision
    Iceman,

    Thanks for the quick reply. After doing more research tonight, after my friends comments to me, and after my wife and I setting and talking I have decided to proceed as planed. I feel I can make it with one kidney and with the tumor still at stage 1, I just want it to hopefully be gone. My urologist explained that I will need at least 4 to 6 weeks of down time, but i am determined to be strong and give this all I've got.

    I thank you for the support you have already given me and I'm sure I'll need more from everyone.

    Doug
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188

    Decision
    Iceman,

    Thanks for the quick reply. After doing more research tonight, after my friends comments to me, and after my wife and I setting and talking I have decided to proceed as planed. I feel I can make it with one kidney and with the tumor still at stage 1, I just want it to hopefully be gone. My urologist explained that I will need at least 4 to 6 weeks of down time, but i am determined to be strong and give this all I've got.

    I thank you for the support you have already given me and I'm sure I'll need more from everyone.

    Doug

    partial v. total nephrectomy
    It really does depend on the size and location of the tumor. And sometimes the doctor can change the game plan half way through surgery, just depending on what looks like might be best for your particular situation. It's all good, since it is about a 95% cure rate. Total nephrectomies are usually done laproscopically; partials are usually open surgeries. It's easier, faster to recover from laproscopic, but open means you probably got to keep half your kidney. Anything kidney-sparing is good, but you can live a perfectly normal life on one kidney.

    Do you have a surgery date yet?
  • partial v. total nephrectomy
    It really does depend on the size and location of the tumor. And sometimes the doctor can change the game plan half way through surgery, just depending on what looks like might be best for your particular situation. It's all good, since it is about a 95% cure rate. Total nephrectomies are usually done laproscopically; partials are usually open surgeries. It's easier, faster to recover from laproscopic, but open means you probably got to keep half your kidney. Anything kidney-sparing is good, but you can live a perfectly normal life on one kidney.

    Do you have a surgery date yet?

    surgery date
    Should find out by Monday

    Doug
  • ams123
    ams123 Member Posts: 71

    Urologist visit today
    Had my appointment with Dr Chan (urologist) today. Confirmed the mass in my left kidney is 6.7 cm and kidney will have to come out.Believes 1st stage cancer. Will schedule the surgery and call me tomorrow or Monday to confirm date.
    Have someone telling me not to let Dr remove kidney completely. My family doctor and urologist both recommend complete removal. Thought I knew what to do but not sure now. Have to make a decision very soon. Dr. does not want too do a biopsy. At this point we are making decision entirely from the CT scan. I just want it gone!!!

    Doug

    Partial vs Complete
    My surgeon was unsure whether or not he could do a partial, he said he wouldn't know until he was in there. I had robotic laparoscopic, and I know lots of people who have had partials done laparoscopically. When I woke up I found out that the surgeon was able to do the partial. It took him 28 minutes, and the cut off time for stopping blood flow to the kidney is 30 minutes, so I am very grateful that he attempted this and succeeded. However, if he needed to take that whole kidney that would have been fine, as people can live normally with one kidney.

    My CT scan wasn't clear enough for the surgeon to see the exact location of the tumor in relation to the artery and vein, so he did an MRI. Maybe you can suggest that to your surgeon so he can get a better idea. Just a thought.

    Linda
  • KatfromFlorida
    KatfromFlorida Member Posts: 66

    Urologist visit today
    Had my appointment with Dr Chan (urologist) today. Confirmed the mass in my left kidney is 6.7 cm and kidney will have to come out.Believes 1st stage cancer. Will schedule the surgery and call me tomorrow or Monday to confirm date.
    Have someone telling me not to let Dr remove kidney completely. My family doctor and urologist both recommend complete removal. Thought I knew what to do but not sure now. Have to make a decision very soon. Dr. does not want too do a biopsy. At this point we are making decision entirely from the CT scan. I just want it gone!!!

    Doug

    Big Decisions
    Hi Doug:

    I know what you mean about wanting it gone but maybe getting a second opinion isn't a bad idea? My physician and the first kidney doctor I went to wanted to remove my entire kidney.... It was explained to me by both of them that they were old school so I asked about a partial and was referred to a urologist that did partials. Some doctors don't do the new davinci surgery. I am not someone who wants to willingly give up my organs if its not necessary, made that mistake when I had a complete hysterectomy years ago. One of those if I had it to do over things.... Either way we are here for you , keep your chin up and remember your friends are here if you need us ..... Prayers and much love
    Kat
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300

    Big Decisions
    Hi Doug:

    I know what you mean about wanting it gone but maybe getting a second opinion isn't a bad idea? My physician and the first kidney doctor I went to wanted to remove my entire kidney.... It was explained to me by both of them that they were old school so I asked about a partial and was referred to a urologist that did partials. Some doctors don't do the new davinci surgery. I am not someone who wants to willingly give up my organs if its not necessary, made that mistake when I had a complete hysterectomy years ago. One of those if I had it to do over things.... Either way we are here for you , keep your chin up and remember your friends are here if you need us ..... Prayers and much love
    Kat

    Are you in Michigan by
    Are you in Michigan by chance?