3" mass in kidney.

Options
124»

Comments

• robert_douglas_smith
    Options
    Pathology report
    Update on kidney removed.
    Received pathology report on my kidney that was removed today. It was not the normal clear cell carcinoma that we were hoping. It was Multifocal chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. There were 3 masses, 1st was 7.4cm the 2nd was 2cm and the 3rd 0.6cm. The larger of which had expanded passed the kidney capsule but not pass the Gerotas fasica. This was a stage #3 tumor. the others were stage 2. The sample was sent to ucla for a 2nd opinion and was concurred. We will be doing a CT of my brain to make sure it is clear., on the 15th of November. Before the 1st of January they will do another CT of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. There is about a 25% chance of reoccurring of this type of cancer. Will be having check ups every 3 to 6 months for a while.
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Options

Pathology report
    Received pathology report on my kidney that was removed today. It was not the normal clear cell carcinoma that we were hoping. It was Multifocal chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. There were 3 masses, 1st was 7.4cm the 2nd was 2cm and the 3rd 0.6cm. The larger of which had expanded passed the kidney capsule but not pass the Gerotas fasica. This was a stage #3 tumor. the others were stage 2. The sample was sent to ucla for a 2nd opinion and was concurred. We will be doing a CT of my brain to make sure it is clear., on the 15th of November. Before the 1st of January they will do another CT of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. There is about a 25% chance of reoccurring of this type of cancer. Will be having check ups every 3 to 6 months for a while.

Stay positive...
    Hi Doug,

The good news is they got it out before it had a chance to spread and there is a 75% chance it won't be back, those aren't bad odds. Sure, you're gonna spend more time with doctors and tests than you hoped for, but its a small price (figuratively speaking) and IF it comes back you'll catch it early. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hang in there,

Gary
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    Options

Pathology report

Ditto - stay positive
    The most important thing to remember is that now you (and your doctors) HAVE the information. Pretty hard to make decisions on the unknown, so now you have the known and a team that is looking out for you.
  • robert_douglas_smith
    Options

Pathology report

CT of brain
    Had CT scan of my head yesterday. Didn't expect results so soon, but my family doctor got the results today. Yes I still have a brain but no tumors. One sigh of relief. They did say that I have a sinus infection so called ENT and they have called in a prescription for that. The thing that started all of this is still bad!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Options

CT of brain
    Had CT scan of my head yesterday. Didn't expect results so soon, but my family doctor got the results today. Yes I still have a brain but no tumors. One sigh of relief. They did say that I have a sinus infection so called ENT and they have called in a prescription for that. The thing that started all of this is still bad!

One step at a time...
    Hi Doug,

You've probably heard all of the "empty head" jokes so I won't bother to repeat any. Stay focused on the fact that this is a very positive result and the first step toward insuring that you will be around for a long long time. Congratulations are in order!!

Hang in there,

Gary
  • braswelm
    braswelm Member Posts: 41
    Options

CT of brain

Sinus
    Hey Doug,
    Did your sinus issue bother during surgery/recovery? I constantly battle sinus allergies, and have headaches from it. Been wondering how that was going to affect me during surgery especially.
    Great to hear the news of your CT. Also great to see your Bulldogs in the SEC Championship. Roll Tide!
    Mike
  • robert_douglas_smith
    Options
    braswelm said:

Sinus
    Hey Doug,
    Did your sinus issue bother during surgery/recovery? I constantly battle sinus allergies, and have headaches from it. Been wondering how that was going to affect me during surgery especially.
    Great to hear the news of your CT. Also great to see your Bulldogs in the SEC Championship. Roll Tide!
    Mike

Sinus issues
    Mike,

Sinuses didn't bother me at all while in the hospital. My original symptoms that found my renal cancer was that everything smelled and tasted bad. on xray led to another until I had the nephrectomy. During the CT scan last week of my brain they found no tumor (YEA!) but found that even after the sinus surgery I still have a sinus infection. ENT gave me more antibiotics. Most everything still taste and smells bad. Funny, the original problem is still a problem. Between loosing weight from the surgery and not eating a lot from the sinus problems, I have lost 30 pounds. Really I hope I can keep that off (and a little more. Again am thinking of you and you surgery on Wednesday. That's the same day of week I had my surgery and then came home on Saturday. Do what your suppose to do, be where your suppose to be and the Lord will take care of the rest.

Doug
  • robert_douglas_smith
    Options

Sinus issues
    Mike,

Sinuses didn't bother me at all while in the hospital. My original symptoms that found my renal cancer was that everything smelled and tasted bad. on xray led to another until I had the nephrectomy. During the CT scan last week of my brain they found no tumor (YEA!) but found that even after the sinus surgery I still have a sinus infection. ENT gave me more antibiotics. Most everything still taste and smells bad. Funny, the original problem is still a problem. Between loosing weight from the surgery and not eating a lot from the sinus problems, I have lost 30 pounds. Really I hope I can keep that off (and a little more. Again am thinking of you and you surgery on Wednesday. That's the same day of week I had my surgery and then came home on Saturday. Do what your suppose to do, be where your suppose to be and the Lord will take care of the rest.

Doug

YEA!!!!
    Finally, BACK TO WORK TODAY!!!!!!!!!