A little question about where your NHL was found, what part of your body?

My first diagnosis was found in the groin area, I found the lump myself. On the one and only recurrance I found a small lump under my left breast and it turned out to be the recurrance. Just wondered where others tended to spring up for the diagnosis with any of you? I mentioned in another post that 24 years later they have found a lymph node in my other breast that looks perfectly fine but I want a needle biopsy anyways just to be sure and they think that with my history it's a good idea. It's tomorrow. Just wondering if there is some pattern to sites where NHL is commonly found. I do know the groin is one area but that's all I know.

Thanks for reading my post.

Blessings,

Bluerose
«1345

Comments

  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    good luck
    First good luck with the biopsy, with my lymphoma, it was dumb luck that they found it, had a routine PET scan because of my first head and neck cancer.
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    First sign of nhl
    Mine was found in a groin lymph node. Stage iv(it's in my bone marrow too) Since then I have swollen nodes in my groin, neck and under my arm but we are doing watchful waiting over the summer anyway...

    Hope your biopsy is fine!!
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    Lymphoma
    Mine was found on a routine ct scan ordered by my urologist. It was mostly in my abdominal area. They saw a very small one in the shoulder and groin area. BMB showed a small bit in the bone which put me at a stage 4. That was in April 2010. I went into remission Oct.15th 2010. John
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043
    COBRA666 said:

    Lymphoma
    Mine was found on a routine ct scan ordered by my urologist. It was mostly in my abdominal area. They saw a very small one in the shoulder and groin area. BMB showed a small bit in the bone which put me at a stage 4. That was in April 2010. I went into remission Oct.15th 2010. John

    Mine
    First time was in the groin, then moved to hip, then to armpit, lung, close to spine, then armpit and neck (clavical)


    Just had an autologous stem cell transplant.

    Good luck with the biopsy!

    Beth
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    vinny59 said:

    good luck
    First good luck with the biopsy, with my lymphoma, it was dumb luck that they found it, had a routine PET scan because of my first head and neck cancer.

    Thanks Vinny
    Ya that's how alot of cancers are found, while docs are looking for something else. Actually I had a specialist who went in to get a stuck kidney stone in my bladder. When I woke up he said the kidney stone was gone, he couldn't find it, hmmmm?, but they did find a nodule on top of one of my ovaries and that has led to 2 years of follow up, the nodule disappeared a few months ago on it's own but now I am having other gyne issues. Sheeesh.

    So I guess you mean that they found it in your neck area?

    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question Vinny. Take care.


    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    onlytoday said:

    First sign of nhl
    Mine was found in a groin lymph node. Stage iv(it's in my bone marrow too) Since then I have swollen nodes in my groin, neck and under my arm but we are doing watchful waiting over the summer anyway...

    Hope your biopsy is fine!!

    Thanks onlytoday
    Ya that is the first place mine showed up to, the groin area and it was like poof there it was, size of an egg, just appeared. They called it 'blowup lymphoma' in that all of a sudden it just appeared. Lots of warning - NOT.

    I hope the waiting isn't worrying you too much, sometimes it's the best thing you can do, I have heard that from so many others.

    Thanks for the response. Take care.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    COBRA666 said:

    Lymphoma
    Mine was found on a routine ct scan ordered by my urologist. It was mostly in my abdominal area. They saw a very small one in the shoulder and groin area. BMB showed a small bit in the bone which put me at a stage 4. That was in April 2010. I went into remission Oct.15th 2010. John

    Hey Cobra
    Have you been in remission ever since John? Wonderful if you have been and let's pray that continues.

    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    dixiegirl said:

    Mine
    First time was in the groin, then moved to hip, then to armpit, lung, close to spine, then armpit and neck (clavical)


    Just had an autologous stem cell transplant.

    Good luck with the biopsy!

    Beth

    Hi Beth
    You sure have had your plate full haven't you Beth? Hugs. Thanks for the info, just wondering if there is some pattern to NHL and how it shows up, seems like the groin area is a hotbed for it by the responses thus far. I had an autologus stem cell transplant too but that was 24 years ago when they were just starting to be done for lymphoma patients, previously they had only done the transplants for leukemia patients. Also stem cells were really new and today I really feel that is what has given me such longevity with no recurrance. Well I had one recurrance a year and a half after initial diagnosis but that was it.

    Thanks for your reply Beth and all the best.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    Cancer found in
    Dear Bluerose,

    I had no symptoms at all. I was so active the summer of 2009. I was looking
    forward to the last day at my beach club, Sunday, Sept 2009.

    Saturday evening,2009 I had a horrible pain. No memory of pain. I was rushed to the
    ER, had a CT scan. Ct Scan showed my small bowel perforated. I was rushed into surgery,
    and had my small bowel resected. The perforation was caused by NHL. I suppose you could
    say the NHL was in my small bowel. Bone marrow biopsy negative, colonoscopy june 2010
    negative, and pet scan in Dec 2010 negative. Remission Jan 2011. I will have another
    colonscopy in Sept 2011 and will also see my oncologist in Sept.

    PS: I had 4 weeks of Rituxan, once weekly in Dec 2009.

    I take one day at a time. If and when the cancer returns, I will deal with it in a very
    postive way. I will enjoy everyday until then.

    Good luck with your biopsy, and hope everything turns out negative. Love Maggie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    bluerose said:

    Hey Cobra
    Have you been in remission ever since John? Wonderful if you have been and let's pray that continues.

    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose

    Bluerose,
    Yes,I had 6 rounds of R-CVP and was in remission in October 2010. Went back for pet scan in April and still no activity. I go back again in Sept. 2011 for another pet. I am on the rituxan maintenance now. I hope it stays away. It would be great. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Groin
    Hi Bluerose,
    January 2010 I had just dried off from my shower and while putting lotion on my body I felt a lump on my groin..(left side). I showed it to my husband and then the following week went in to see my PCP. He sent me for an ultra sound which showed the one medium lump we could feel, but also showed a couple of more smaller enlarged nodes in the same area that we couldn't feel. PCP decided to wait and watch until my yearly physical in May. Come May, I went for another ultra sound which showed growth of the one medium size node and now revealed a total of 6 more enlarged nodes. I also had a very small hard node on the left side of my neck show up during the wait and watch time..Jan-May. PCP sent me for a CT scan of pelvic, stomach and neck, which then showed enlarged nodes in all 3 area's. I didn't have a clue about the tumors in my stomach until the CT scan. In June 2010 I had the largest node in the groin surgically removed and biopsied, along with a BMB to complete the staging(no bone involvement).... the rest is history. Diagnosed having Follicular-NHL-grade2-stage3-typeA. Started chemo(CVP-R) Aug 26th 2010 and finished 6 rounds on Dec 14th 2010. Follow up CT scan on Jan 26th 2011 showed slight activity still in the node under my colar bone. Onc said I wasn't in remission, but considered the cancer to be stable. He started me on Rituxan maint Feb 14th, to be given every other month for the next 2 years. My next scan will be in April 2012, unless something new developes. So far so good...I've done 3 rounds of Rituxan so far and no new developements..(knock on wood). Now I just wait and see and hope for the best. Good luck tomorrow with your biopsy..I'll keep you in my prayers and be thinking good positive thoughts! Much Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    allmost60 said:

    Groin
    Hi Bluerose,
    January 2010 I had just dried off from my shower and while putting lotion on my body I felt a lump on my groin..(left side). I showed it to my husband and then the following week went in to see my PCP. He sent me for an ultra sound which showed the one medium lump we could feel, but also showed a couple of more smaller enlarged nodes in the same area that we couldn't feel. PCP decided to wait and watch until my yearly physical in May. Come May, I went for another ultra sound which showed growth of the one medium size node and now revealed a total of 6 more enlarged nodes. I also had a very small hard node on the left side of my neck show up during the wait and watch time..Jan-May. PCP sent me for a CT scan of pelvic, stomach and neck, which then showed enlarged nodes in all 3 area's. I didn't have a clue about the tumors in my stomach until the CT scan. In June 2010 I had the largest node in the groin surgically removed and biopsied, along with a BMB to complete the staging(no bone involvement).... the rest is history. Diagnosed having Follicular-NHL-grade2-stage3-typeA. Started chemo(CVP-R) Aug 26th 2010 and finished 6 rounds on Dec 14th 2010. Follow up CT scan on Jan 26th 2011 showed slight activity still in the node under my colar bone. Onc said I wasn't in remission, but considered the cancer to be stable. He started me on Rituxan maint Feb 14th, to be given every other month for the next 2 years. My next scan will be in April 2012, unless something new developes. So far so good...I've done 3 rounds of Rituxan so far and no new developements..(knock on wood). Now I just wait and see and hope for the best. Good luck tomorrow with your biopsy..I'll keep you in my prayers and be thinking good positive thoughts! Much Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

    Stomach nodes
    Sue,
    Do you recall the size of the nodes in your stomach? Sometimes they say in their findings and other times they don't. John
  • cooky38
    cooky38 Member Posts: 29
    COBRA666 said:

    Stomach nodes
    Sue,
    Do you recall the size of the nodes in your stomach? Sometimes they say in their findings and other times they don't. John

    lymphnodes
    I had a large one on my groin area and then pretty fast, [it seemed like it or mabey not [i was still working] to 5 more on the other side and then in my chest and abdomen, then when it came back it was in my bone marrow.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    COBRA666 said:

    Stomach nodes
    Sue,
    Do you recall the size of the nodes in your stomach? Sometimes they say in their findings and other times they don't. John

    Stomach nodes
    Hi John,
    This is what the findings were on all 4 of my CT scans.

    CT Abdomen:
    Technique: 16 slice multidetector CT was performed utilizing routine abdomen protocol following the administration of nonionic IV and oral contrast. Reconstructions were also performed and reviewed. (same technique was done with all 4 scans)

    1st CT scan done on June 2010:
    Findings: Lymph Nodes:
    There are enlarged retroperitonial and left upper abdominal mesenteric lymph nodes. A left retroperitonial node measures 1.6 x 1.1 cm and a left upper mesenteric node measures 1.2 x 1.0 cm. Additional enlarged smaller nodes, epigastric hepatic ligaments are noted.

    2nd CT scan done in Oct 2010:(after 3 rounds of chemo)
    Findings: Lymph Nodes:
    The previously observed lymph nodes along the lesser curvature of the stomach in the gastrohepatic ligament have decreased in size, both previously measuring approximately 1.5 cm in their greatest dimension, now measuring 0.6cm in their greatest dimension. Left periaortic lymph node has decreased in size, 1.5 cm to 7 mm.

    3rd CT scan done in Jan 2011: (after finishing chemo in Dec)
    Findings: Lymph Nodes:
    No lymphadenopathy is identified. The previously observed non-pathologically enlarged celiac and paraortic lymph nodes appear unchanged.


    4th CT scan done on April 13th 2011 reads:
    Findings: Lymph Nodes:
    No evident enlarging adenopathy seen in the stomach.

    So..thats the skinny on my tummy John. TMI? ha! Anyways.. so far, so good,.. it appears. Hopefully my next scan in 2012 will still show no eveident enlarging.I asked my Onc why he was going to wait so long to do another scan and he said it's because I've had 4 already and thats 2 too many in his opinion to be done in a year. I can only hope he knows whats best as far as how often to do scans. April 2012 seems sooo far away. Oh well. Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • homegirl
    homegirl Member Posts: 15
    Body part
    Bluerose, I found mine in my right armpit. Raised my arm to shave one evening in the shower when I noticed large lump. My pits have never been very hairy so do not know when I shaved last, but when I had my ultrasound 2 weeks later one was measured at 5.4 cm, and there were couple more smaller ones. Even today I have to raise my arm and put my hand behind my head and push out the pit to really feel it because it is so deep. I probably have a little extra fat tissue there as I am not a thin person. Also have enlarged nodes in other pit, but cant feel, nor any of my others through out my body.
    Martha
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    homegirl said:

    Body part
    Bluerose, I found mine in my right armpit. Raised my arm to shave one evening in the shower when I noticed large lump. My pits have never been very hairy so do not know when I shaved last, but when I had my ultrasound 2 weeks later one was measured at 5.4 cm, and there were couple more smaller ones. Even today I have to raise my arm and put my hand behind my head and push out the pit to really feel it because it is so deep. I probably have a little extra fat tissue there as I am not a thin person. Also have enlarged nodes in other pit, but cant feel, nor any of my others through out my body.
    Martha

    Enlarged Nodes
    Martha,
    Where else in your body do you have enlarged nodes? Don't know if you had a scan or not,but that will tell where they all are. John
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    COBRA666 said:

    Enlarged Nodes
    Martha,
    Where else in your body do you have enlarged nodes? Don't know if you had a scan or not,but that will tell where they all are. John

    Couldn't feel mine
    BlueRose,

    This is interesting! I had an MRI due to some lower back pain and numbness and a mass was found growing in, around and out of my lower spine. I was hospitalized a few hours after this finding when further testing revealed some retroperitoneal node involvement and then positive bone marrow.
    DLBCNHL stage IV B, June 2010, R-CHOP for 6 rounds and remission Oct. 2010.

    Kellie
  • She514
    She514 Member Posts: 47
    By accident
    Mine was found on the CT scan done when I went into ER for appendicitis. In the Retroperitoneal, further testing shows groin, neck and axillary. Low grade, B cell Non Hodgkins...they are thinking CLL/SLL but I haven't agreed to axillary biopsy to date to determine subcatogory since the current approach will stay the same...Watch and wait. Now that the doctors have pointed out the enlarged nodes can I feel the ones in my neck, groin and axillary. I have no B symptoms.
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    She514 said:

    By accident
    Mine was found on the CT scan done when I went into ER for appendicitis. In the Retroperitoneal, further testing shows groin, neck and axillary. Low grade, B cell Non Hodgkins...they are thinking CLL/SLL but I haven't agreed to axillary biopsy to date to determine subcatogory since the current approach will stay the same...Watch and wait. Now that the doctors have pointed out the enlarged nodes can I feel the ones in my neck, groin and axillary. I have no B symptoms.

    Thanks for the post She514
    I will pray that your wait and see approach works in your favour and that these things shrink down to nothing.

    All the best.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    KC13167 said:

    Couldn't feel mine
    BlueRose,

    This is interesting! I had an MRI due to some lower back pain and numbness and a mass was found growing in, around and out of my lower spine. I was hospitalized a few hours after this finding when further testing revealed some retroperitoneal node involvement and then positive bone marrow.
    DLBCNHL stage IV B, June 2010, R-CHOP for 6 rounds and remission Oct. 2010.

    Kellie

    Hey Kellie, what are you doing with MY cat? lol
    Your cat looks just like my cat Angel. lol. Yours looks like it has a lighter smudgey nose area, mine is a chocolatey brown there, but basically the same look - Himmy right? Aren't they great? Love mine to pieces. So smart.

    Anywho, thanks for the input. I was just wondering about sites as I had a lymph node show up recently in my breast but it has proven to be fine. Just wondered where the key sites are for others.

    You know I have had a 'something' show up at the base of my spine for a long time and I am on morphine daily because of the pain but they feel it's just more arthritis. I have never bought that story. However I have a pacemaker from chemo damage and so I can't have an MRI. I have had a ton of treatments and late effects from it all 25 years ago and so my testing is limited now due to procedures I have had to have. Oh well.

    Hope you are feeling alright and that it's all gone and you can get on with your life.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose