What has happened to all the old timers?

nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I know that there have been posted before asking for the old timers on the board to check-in and post ever so often, but I haven't heard from some of them and was hoping they were still lurking or checking in without us noticing.
«1

Comments

  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    I know....
    .. a few who left the board because of religious differences, and that saddened me, but I try to keep up with them on Facebook, as long as they keep posting, I know they're ok, and love playing games with them, but some were really offended with some religious remarks, that's why they made a section under "Other" in the forum, to keep it at bay, and not have it happen again :)


    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    Semi-Colon Roll Call
    Loads of them checked in on that thread. :o)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Shayenne said:

    I know....
    .. a few who left the board because of religious differences, and that saddened me, but I try to keep up with them on Facebook, as long as they keep posting, I know they're ok, and love playing games with them, but some were really offended with some religious remarks, that's why they made a section under "Other" in the forum, to keep it at bay, and not have it happen again :)


    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    Does this mean
    If we start talking politics we'll get rid of even more people!
    I really hope that they did not leave for that reason, we have/had cancer and that is the bond we all have. Our beliefs are secondary. But I suppose if someone's faith is that strong then that is their priority and what happens here is secondary. Oh no, another riddle!

    Maybe some are feeling so good that they are just off having a great time?
    -p
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 955

    Semi-Colon Roll Call
    Loads of them checked in on that thread. :o)

    I must check the roll-call.
    I must check the roll-call. I never responded to it because it got so huge, so fast! I am also missing many of the old timers. Unfortunately, some of them died this year. I don't know if you caught those posts?

    I haven't seen Katie or Bob post on here in a while either, it seems, though once in a while Katie posts on her facebook. Hopefully this post will get them responding.

    Thanks for starting this thread!

    Hugs,
    Krista
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

    Semi-Colon Roll Call
    Loads of them checked in on that thread. :o)

    Well....
    ...I talked to a couple of them, and it was that reason, mostly from the ones who don't have the faith, and I guess they were offended or hurt, but I tried to really get them back here, because they really helped alot of people, and I miss their posts alot, cancer is what brought us together, and I'm sure it's because some are off living their lives as well, but I have hope at times where one day I will see them post again.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487
    Shayenne said:

    Well....
    ...I talked to a couple of them, and it was that reason, mostly from the ones who don't have the faith, and I guess they were offended or hurt, but I tried to really get them back here, because they really helped alot of people, and I miss their posts alot, cancer is what brought us together, and I'm sure it's because some are off living their lives as well, but I have hope at times where one day I will see them post again.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    how long...
    do you have to have been here before you are considered an "oldie?" And, while I'm at it, how long does one actually disappear before we start hunting them down?

    "we are family......!"
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    Honestly
    I'm happy they are not posting if that means they are doing well and back to living life to its fullest.

    I hope they're all having fun.
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Shayenne said:

    Well....
    ...I talked to a couple of them, and it was that reason, mostly from the ones who don't have the faith, and I guess they were offended or hurt, but I tried to really get them back here, because they really helped alot of people, and I miss their posts alot, cancer is what brought us together, and I'm sure it's because some are off living their lives as well, but I have hope at times where one day I will see them post again.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    Inclusiveness

    Hi Donna:

    I, too, miss some of the people like Cheryl Hutch who used to post here.

    I can only speak for myself, but I am here because I need information and moral support-- not prayers or proselytizing. To be very honest, it makes me uncomfortable when people post an unsolicited message that they are praying for me or when they assume that everyone who posts on this board is a Christian.

    As I wrote "back in the day" when the battle over religion on this board was raging, I think people have a right to write whatever they please but I also think they should have a moral conscience that guides them away from (mis)using that right to make the people who don't share their religious beliefs feel that they are outsiders. To do that, discourages the "outsiders" from seeking the help and solace that this board can (and should) offer. As I recall, what I wrote at that time of the religious debate here was that there is a vast difference between what you can say and what you should say in a diverse society. I certainly don't support censorship although there certainly were people who characterized my position that way. I do support inclusiveness.

    This is, after all, a quasi-public board--public in the sense that anyone can post here but also the "only game in town" when it comes to providing a real platform for discussion of colon cancer, caregiving, etc. I'm grateful to the ACS for creating a separate section for the discussion of religious issues. I'm also grateful to the people on this board who have worked to make this a more inclusive board.

    Hatshepsut
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

    Honestly
    I'm happy they are not posting if that means they are doing well and back to living life to its fullest.

    I hope they're all having fun.

    I....
    ...Couldn't have said it better Hat, I must agree :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723
    Some of us are still
    Some of us are still around. I can understand why some don't post for the reason that they may be trying to put some distance between them selves and a dark period of their lives. I choose to keep coming back because this board was a big part of my life during those times and I believe that it is important to get the message accross that some of us do get thru cancer. Some of the wheels fall off on the way but I'm still rolling.
    I had a scope this week,the results were no medium to large polyps found but come back in twelve months. I am in reasonably poor health. Auto-immune problems have seriously effected my kidneys and peripheral nerves and veins. I had my scope prep in hospital because my blood pressure is averaging 95/60. Some days its midday before I get my motor running on all cylinders. But I still work and even take time off to seriously hassle some fish. Cheers Ron st3c 6/13 Jan 1998. PS Absolutely nothing offends me,many experts have tried:)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    ron50 said:

    Some of us are still
    Some of us are still around. I can understand why some don't post for the reason that they may be trying to put some distance between them selves and a dark period of their lives. I choose to keep coming back because this board was a big part of my life during those times and I believe that it is important to get the message accross that some of us do get thru cancer. Some of the wheels fall off on the way but I'm still rolling.
    I had a scope this week,the results were no medium to large polyps found but come back in twelve months. I am in reasonably poor health. Auto-immune problems have seriously effected my kidneys and peripheral nerves and veins. I had my scope prep in hospital because my blood pressure is averaging 95/60. Some days its midday before I get my motor running on all cylinders. But I still work and even take time off to seriously hassle some fish. Cheers Ron st3c 6/13 Jan 1998. PS Absolutely nothing offends me,many experts have tried:)

    'Survivor's Guilt' here.....
    I'm still checking, but it's hard to post...

    First of all, the treatments have changed so much since my day (almost 5 years ago...right behind Scouty..lol....).

    Second, I'm doing so well, and it's a faded memory that will not ever completely go away, but, as Ron said, I'm out there living life large...

    So...I love you all, I'm still here...

    Hugs, Kathi
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Folks Move On...
    I was very active here in the summer of 2007. Not sure if that makes me an "oldtimer". It may. It was a very different community in terms of membership at that time... but very similar in terms of the support and help available.

    Many of the folks who were active at that time are still connected to each other and will be gathering shortly in Florida for Colonapolooza! My hunch is that as people put some distance between themselves and this disease there is less time to connect online. Personally, when I am well and working, I find it difficult to follow the posts, keep up, and respond here.

    And then there are those who are no longer with us. Sad to say but we have lost more than a few good folk over the past few years. This has been an important community in terms of providing valuable support to those travelling "the last mile".

    I wasn't party to the "great religious debates" of yore so can't comment as to who might have been turned off by them. (Who is really "turned on" by such debates? I doubt many of us!) My hunch is that most of the "oldtimers" have other reasons for not connecting. Probably in line with lives that become filled with... life.

    For those enjoying long-term survival... I hope to join you some day!
    For those enjoying eternal rest... I hope to join you some day too! Just LATER!
    For the rest of you semicolons... Thanks for being here!

    Rob; in Van
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064
    Oldie but goodie.....I hope!
    Well, every so often I wonder if people think I don't have a life because after 8 years I'm still here posting and pestering everyone to get off sugar and juice your veggies and dig to the root of your cancer problem! HA! :-)

    I have taken breaks and come back because, as an "old-timer" I truly want to give hope to others. Cancer is a gosh darn scary gig, and when you can hold hands with some newbie and show them they are not alone and that we "get it" here on the boards, then it is a way to touch our collective humanity and soldier on.

    I'm with Hat and think all-inclusiveness really needs to be the main vibe here. I've also been on here long enough to weather a whole bunch of episodes that folks leave in a huff. I know for a fact that I've caused at least one to leave (but he pops up every blue moon), but it surely wasn't over religion--it was over my radical opinion on health and wellness and offering the option to not do chemo. Talk about passionate opinions! OH BOY!

    This stuff goes in cycles and some new controversy will rise up and others will leave and new ones will come.

    Nudgie, I posed the exact same question to SpongeBob years ago when I noticed some of the constant posters drifting away and I was still clinging to the ship here. Life goes on and more power to them! When the "crisis" is over the need may change and they move on. You all are stuck with me for the long haul! HA! :-)

    Once a Semi-colon always a Semi-colon!


    peace, emily
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    2bhealed said:

    Oldie but goodie.....I hope!
    Well, every so often I wonder if people think I don't have a life because after 8 years I'm still here posting and pestering everyone to get off sugar and juice your veggies and dig to the root of your cancer problem! HA! :-)

    I have taken breaks and come back because, as an "old-timer" I truly want to give hope to others. Cancer is a gosh darn scary gig, and when you can hold hands with some newbie and show them they are not alone and that we "get it" here on the boards, then it is a way to touch our collective humanity and soldier on.

    I'm with Hat and think all-inclusiveness really needs to be the main vibe here. I've also been on here long enough to weather a whole bunch of episodes that folks leave in a huff. I know for a fact that I've caused at least one to leave (but he pops up every blue moon), but it surely wasn't over religion--it was over my radical opinion on health and wellness and offering the option to not do chemo. Talk about passionate opinions! OH BOY!

    This stuff goes in cycles and some new controversy will rise up and others will leave and new ones will come.

    Nudgie, I posed the exact same question to SpongeBob years ago when I noticed some of the constant posters drifting away and I was still clinging to the ship here. Life goes on and more power to them! When the "crisis" is over the need may change and they move on. You all are stuck with me for the long haul! HA! :-)

    Once a Semi-colon always a Semi-colon!


    peace, emily

    I hope....
    ...You never leave Emily, I'd be lost not seeing any of your posts..you are most inspiring, as Ron, Rob and all these old timers :) I feel people need us, and being here helping people helps me through it as well :)


    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232
    Hi all
    I am going to post and if I upset someone, I am not apologizing. For this is the way of the world. I have been cancer free 11 years. I have been navigating for any and everyone that I thought I could help. There are those, and some are on this board, and people say they are mean spirited.

    Everyone needs to remember we all work thru this in our own way, and if we say things that are hurtful, most of the time it is our fear talking. In the eleven years I have been checked consistently every 3 months scans every 6 month and pet every year. When anything seems to be not right; I still have doctors after 11 years, that want to go there and inform me we think its back. Before all tests are conclusive. My oldest son crawls inside himself anytime I just get the flu for fear Mom has cancer again. So I deal with stress, trying to get my son to realize I am right here all the time. I can not argue with him, because sometimes when blood work isn't right and all those fears and thoughts and anger come to play. I believe we all who have had cancer will never truly be free even though we are clear it still haunts and hovers.

    I don't live upset on a daily basis but I know it does come to mind here and there. I don't know if I offended some of those people that left I haven't been on board very long. If I did they certainly shouldn't have left from something I said. This is where we let it out, share out ideas and thoughts and get thru cancer. No one is maliciously hurting someone. If your feelings are hurt, from reading a post you will never get thru this cancer. Someones post only means what you take from it. So if its garbage toss it in the trash go to the next. Its that easy.

    For me, I try to remember everything, (yeah right) but I use it as I need it. If it doesn't come to play for me at that time, I store it incase someone else needed perspective or ideas. I share what I learned whethor I agreed or not. I just wanted to say everyone is walking in there own shoes at a different pace, even though we are going thru cancer, we might not be walking in all there life experiences for example: home life, work life, extra curricular. etc.... So for me to even try to tell someone how to feel is absolutely absurd. Those who left I hope they find their way back to the board or a new board or some kind of support. As always Make it a Great Day!! It's your choice.
    Goofyladie (Cass)
  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368
    I do remember what Donna
    I do remember what Donna says that there has been a quiet "fight" and opposition on religious remarks on some, and probably some are left due to that reason. And although I'm not an "old timer"...indeed...but I promised myself to always come back here and check on you guys, even though, I no longer need questions from you guys...now that doesn't mean I don't have questions...I have many...but those are probably remain unanswered...anyway, I want to keep in touch with you all, and maybe sometimes I can help to by the experiences I had in the past....maybe not, maybe so. I dunno...but I try to help.
    Take care all,
    Sophie
  • changing2
    changing2 Member Posts: 118
    Shayenne said:

    I know....
    .. a few who left the board because of religious differences, and that saddened me, but I try to keep up with them on Facebook, as long as they keep posting, I know they're ok, and love playing games with them, but some were really offended with some religious remarks, that's why they made a section under "Other" in the forum, to keep it at bay, and not have it happen again :)


    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    Checking in!
    Hi, I'm still lurking:) Dx"d 7/06. Did all chemo tx's, radiation and surgery however nothing really worked. No treatments since 1/09 and although on hospice recently, I'm still out and about and doing fairly well! Well that's it for me...making some chicken soup for my family as the Nor'easter is keeping us hunkered down! Take care friends,
    Mannie
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    sharpy102 said:

    I do remember what Donna
    I do remember what Donna says that there has been a quiet "fight" and opposition on religious remarks on some, and probably some are left due to that reason. And although I'm not an "old timer"...indeed...but I promised myself to always come back here and check on you guys, even though, I no longer need questions from you guys...now that doesn't mean I don't have questions...I have many...but those are probably remain unanswered...anyway, I want to keep in touch with you all, and maybe sometimes I can help to by the experiences I had in the past....maybe not, maybe so. I dunno...but I try to help.
    Take care all,
    Sophie

    Sophie......
    We want you to be comfortable enough to ask anything you like in here...It doesn't have to be about the disease. There are very very bright people in here with a lot of insight and a lot of education in all aspects and areas of life. Simply trust us enough to ask, thats all you have to do. We are more than just cancer survivors and patients , we are here to support you and others that may need it...Stay with us sweetheart, we are blessed to have you around.......{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}......Clift
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 955
    2bhealed said:

    Oldie but goodie.....I hope!
    Well, every so often I wonder if people think I don't have a life because after 8 years I'm still here posting and pestering everyone to get off sugar and juice your veggies and dig to the root of your cancer problem! HA! :-)

    I have taken breaks and come back because, as an "old-timer" I truly want to give hope to others. Cancer is a gosh darn scary gig, and when you can hold hands with some newbie and show them they are not alone and that we "get it" here on the boards, then it is a way to touch our collective humanity and soldier on.

    I'm with Hat and think all-inclusiveness really needs to be the main vibe here. I've also been on here long enough to weather a whole bunch of episodes that folks leave in a huff. I know for a fact that I've caused at least one to leave (but he pops up every blue moon), but it surely wasn't over religion--it was over my radical opinion on health and wellness and offering the option to not do chemo. Talk about passionate opinions! OH BOY!

    This stuff goes in cycles and some new controversy will rise up and others will leave and new ones will come.

    Nudgie, I posed the exact same question to SpongeBob years ago when I noticed some of the constant posters drifting away and I was still clinging to the ship here. Life goes on and more power to them! When the "crisis" is over the need may change and they move on. You all are stuck with me for the long haul! HA! :-)

    Once a Semi-colon always a Semi-colon!


    peace, emily

    I agree with Donna!
    Emily, you keep stirring that pot, and i'll be on the other side stirring too to make sure it doesn't slow down any (i'm about to stir another pot with my next discussion topic)!

    The health topic seems to be nearly as controversial as the religious one. Food is like a religion, and even more like an addiction. It's so much easier to be like everyone else, but we're NOT like everyone else.

    When i first started the raw food diet ten years ago, everyone looked at me as some sort of freak. Now that i'm doing it again to cure my cancer, NO one is judging me for it, or telling me i'm weird. What's wrong with that picture?

    Anyway, i'm off topic.

    I would love to hear from more veterens of the board who've cured their cancer with diet. Please tell us your story!

    Great hearing from you Ron, haven't seen you in a while! I hope your health problems improve.

    Kathi, you were one of the first people i talked to when i came to this board in 2007. Your story was very inspirational to me. Don't stop posting, and NEVER feel guilty posting here just because you're not in treatment anymore, or because the treatments have changed!! We all need to be reminded that not only can we survive THIS cancer, but another one if it should happen to come along!

    Love ya all!
    Krista
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    This is hard to answer but I'll try
    To me an oldtimer is someone that posted here regularly 2-3 and more years ago. I see several reasons why some of us don't post very often and will try to share them. I can promise you that we/they read (lurk) and if you don't believe me, check out the semi-colon roll call thread!!

    1. Back then there weren't near the number of us that there are now. Fewer people posted which made it seem more like a small community (yeah even smaller then it feels to you now)and we got to know each other's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It was the old website and threads didn't move to the second page so quickly. Then a not very stable "stalker" hit the site and actually threathened a few folks. You can absolutely bet it scared some of us away or at least kept us from being as social as we had been.

    2. When one is going "thru the fight", you are up to speed on all the treatments and the treatment options. You are also very much in tune with all the mental, emotional, and physical aspects of fighting CRC. Both of those make you an invaluable resource support person for others here. Once you are fortunate enough to have success in your fight, over time you lose touch with the treatment options and in my opinion, you lose the mental, emotional, and physical feelings too. It takes a while but you do "lose" touch with it all (human nature kind of things). If any of us have a recurrence I am sure it all would come back ASAP. Just ask RobinVan and Betsydoglover.

    3. Back "in the day", some of us got very close to each other. We talked on the phone regularly and were great friends to each other. We met, hugged, laughed and cried together. Then reality of this sucky disease hits and people started to die, some were our dear friends. I think of them so often and get teary eyed when I do. I still try to help folks here as much as I can but honestly I am guarded. I don't want to lose any more friends, it is so hard and hurts so much. I have to say that MANY more people I have met on this board are still alive then are dead but it doesn't make it any easier for me. Maybe it's selfish but I can only do what I can do.

    Okay there you have it, it has NOTHING to do with that "silly" religious stuff y'all had going on a few months ago. Trust me some of our chemo versus alternative threads way back when were much more "lively"!!!! We have learned that agreeing to disagree is perfectly okay and it is much more important to be supportive of each other no matter what!

    Cheetos anyone?????????

    Lisa P.