What has happened to all the old timers?

2»

Comments

• Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    robinvan said:

Folks Move On...
    I was very active here in the summer of 2007. Not sure if that makes me an "oldtimer". It may. It was a very different community in terms of membership at that time... but very similar in terms of the support and help available.

Many of the folks who were active at that time are still connected to each other and will be gathering shortly in Florida for Colonapolooza! My hunch is that as people put some distance between themselves and this disease there is less time to connect online. Personally, when I am well and working, I find it difficult to follow the posts, keep up, and respond here.

And then there are those who are no longer with us. Sad to say but we have lost more than a few good folk over the past few years. This has been an important community in terms of providing valuable support to those travelling "the last mile".

I wasn't party to the "great religious debates" of yore so can't comment as to who might have been turned off by them. (Who is really "turned on" by such debates? I doubt many of us!) My hunch is that most of the "oldtimers" have other reasons for not connecting. Probably in line with lives that become filled with... life.

For those enjoying long-term survival... I hope to join you some day!
    For those enjoying eternal rest... I hope to join you some day too! Just LATER!
    For the rest of you semicolons... Thanks for being here!

Rob; in Van

Rob- thank you for your
    Rob- thank you for your posts- they are inspiring and so full of hope. I love the Just LATER! comment :)
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    scouty said:

This is hard to answer but I'll try
    To me an oldtimer is someone that posted here regularly 2-3 and more years ago. I see several reasons why some of us don't post very often and will try to share them. I can promise you that we/they read (lurk) and if you don't believe me, check out the semi-colon roll call thread!!

1. Back then there weren't near the number of us that there are now. Fewer people posted which made it seem more like a small community (yeah even smaller then it feels to you now)and we got to know each other's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It was the old website and threads didn't move to the second page so quickly. Then a not very stable "stalker" hit the site and actually threathened a few folks. You can absolutely bet it scared some of us away or at least kept us from being as social as we had been.

2. When one is going "thru the fight", you are up to speed on all the treatments and the treatment options. You are also very much in tune with all the mental, emotional, and physical aspects of fighting CRC. Both of those make you an invaluable resource support person for others here. Once you are fortunate enough to have success in your fight, over time you lose touch with the treatment options and in my opinion, you lose the mental, emotional, and physical feelings too. It takes a while but you do "lose" touch with it all (human nature kind of things). If any of us have a recurrence I am sure it all would come back ASAP. Just ask RobinVan and Betsydoglover.

3. Back "in the day", some of us got very close to each other. We talked on the phone regularly and were great friends to each other. We met, hugged, laughed and cried together. Then reality of this sucky disease hits and people started to die, some were our dear friends. I think of them so often and get teary eyed when I do. I still try to help folks here as much as I can but honestly I am guarded. I don't want to lose any more friends, it is so hard and hurts so much. I have to say that MANY more people I have met on this board are still alive then are dead but it doesn't make it any easier for me. Maybe it's selfish but I can only do what I can do.

Okay there you have it, it has NOTHING to do with that "silly" religious stuff y'all had going on a few months ago. Trust me some of our chemo versus alternative threads way back when were much more "lively"!!!! We have learned that agreeing to disagree is perfectly okay and it is much more important to be supportive of each other no matter what!

Cheetos anyone?????????

Lisa P.

Did someone say CHEETOS???
    You just hush up your mouth right now or I will snatch you bald-headed AND whomp you upside the head, girl! Don't you dare offer those cheetos! HA!

Yeah, the stalker. I remember that. And the alternative vs conventional. Yep, was there too.

I'll bet you will have cheesy grins in Key West.

peace, emily

ps. I told the desk manager to put Smooth Move tea on all y'alls breakfast trays as some colon humor. He had a good laugh.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    2bhealed said:

Did someone say CHEETOS???
    You just hush up your mouth right now or I will snatch you bald-headed AND whomp you upside the head, girl! Don't you dare offer those cheetos! HA!

Yeah, the stalker. I remember that. And the alternative vs conventional. Yep, was there too.

I'll bet you will have cheesy grins in Key West.

peace, emily

ps. I told the desk manager to put Smooth Move tea on all y'alls breakfast trays as some colon humor. He had a good laugh.

I LOVE you guys!!!!!
    Emily and Lisa...WOW! Did you give me a blast from the past!!!!

I was relatively new, and was rather hesitant to jump in to the fray....ROFL!

It is grand that everyone is different in this world, and when you can agree to accept the differences, well, it's SUPER!

BIG hugs! Kathi

And, Lisa, you are my role model, remember, for the dancing....so, when you think about that bar in Nashville that I shook my 'ladies' in...well, it's all tracable back to you...LMAO!!!
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    old timer here
    Actually still here... Started 9/06, still stage 4, but still teaching and working.

Chip
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    scouty said:

This is hard to answer but I'll try
    To me an oldtimer is someone that posted here regularly 2-3 and more years ago. I see several reasons why some of us don't post very often and will try to share them. I can promise you that we/they read (lurk) and if you don't believe me, check out the semi-colon roll call thread!!

1. Back then there weren't near the number of us that there are now. Fewer people posted which made it seem more like a small community (yeah even smaller then it feels to you now)and we got to know each other's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It was the old website and threads didn't move to the second page so quickly. Then a not very stable "stalker" hit the site and actually threathened a few folks. You can absolutely bet it scared some of us away or at least kept us from being as social as we had been.

2. When one is going "thru the fight", you are up to speed on all the treatments and the treatment options. You are also very much in tune with all the mental, emotional, and physical aspects of fighting CRC. Both of those make you an invaluable resource support person for others here. Once you are fortunate enough to have success in your fight, over time you lose touch with the treatment options and in my opinion, you lose the mental, emotional, and physical feelings too. It takes a while but you do "lose" touch with it all (human nature kind of things). If any of us have a recurrence I am sure it all would come back ASAP. Just ask RobinVan and Betsydoglover.

3. Back "in the day", some of us got very close to each other. We talked on the phone regularly and were great friends to each other. We met, hugged, laughed and cried together. Then reality of this sucky disease hits and people started to die, some were our dear friends. I think of them so often and get teary eyed when I do. I still try to help folks here as much as I can but honestly I am guarded. I don't want to lose any more friends, it is so hard and hurts so much. I have to say that MANY more people I have met on this board are still alive then are dead but it doesn't make it any easier for me. Maybe it's selfish but I can only do what I can do.

Okay there you have it, it has NOTHING to do with that "silly" religious stuff y'all had going on a few months ago. Trust me some of our chemo versus alternative threads way back when were much more "lively"!!!! We have learned that agreeing to disagree is perfectly okay and it is much more important to be supportive of each other no matter what!

Cheetos anyone?????????

Lisa P.

lMAO!!
    Oh Scouty!!!!! You KNOW that a crazy Russian librarian ended up gluing us all CLOSER together, regardless of her threats! lol And the "Cheetos" debate was definitely one for the books! How about all those posts about the Village People that Sponger posted many moons ago? Along with his "shrinkage/speedo" issues!!!!!! OMG, the stories we had!

On a serious note, what really hit home with me was the Nashville trip. Kerry, Jana and Sue were seen for the last time @ that Palooza. I too am very guarded. I want to remember and cherish my friends the way they were when they were laughing and enjoying life. The Vegas Palooza was the first full-blown session where the majority of us met in person. Do you realize that was so many years ago?? I wish I knew how to access the old Colonpalooza.com site to get our pictures and add new ones. That was a great place to go to frolic in the "good old days."

And here's a milestone for you....I am FINALLY getting my port out!!!!!! (Wed, Oct 28th). For me, THAT event will signal my accepting that I am CURED (my doctor's words, not mine!).

Have a safe trip to Key West!

Stacy
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Prayer
    Hi, As far as people being offended when we say "you are in my prayers" Personally, PRAY AWAY!!! I don't care what religion you are, to me a prayer is a prayer! I will take them all! :) It is such a kind thing to do for someone, no matter what religion you are.
    JUST MY OPINION! Doesn't mean I'm right!
    Karyn
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

lMAO!!
    Oh Scouty!!!!! You KNOW that a crazy Russian librarian ended up gluing us all CLOSER together, regardless of her threats! lol And the "Cheetos" debate was definitely one for the books! How about all those posts about the Village People that Sponger posted many moons ago? Along with his "shrinkage/speedo" issues!!!!!! OMG, the stories we had!

On a serious note, what really hit home with me was the Nashville trip. Kerry, Jana and Sue were seen for the last time @ that Palooza. I too am very guarded. I want to remember and cherish my friends the way they were when they were laughing and enjoying life. The Vegas Palooza was the first full-blown session where the majority of us met in person. Do you realize that was so many years ago?? I wish I knew how to access the old Colonpalooza.com site to get our pictures and add new ones. That was a great place to go to frolic in the "good old days."

And here's a milestone for you....I am FINALLY getting my port out!!!!!! (Wed, Oct 28th). For me, THAT event will signal my accepting that I am CURED (my doctor's words, not mine!).

Stacy

OMG, Stacy!!!
    I had completely forgotten about 'shrinkage'....I am laughing so hard, I'm crying!!!!

And, yes, I reflected on many joys from Nashville...I am grateful I got to have my life graced by so many wonderful people! And I remember sitting and chatting forever with Limey one morning downstairs...I still have him in my prayers...as I do all of you.

CONGRATS on the port removal!!!! The LAST vestige of the beast!!!! I am dancing for you!!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member

lMAO!!

Stacy

Stacey
    I might be considered and oldtimer too, joined July 2006, what was the "user name" of the librarian? OH God I still remember her,if is the one I think she was against chemo 100% and had her mother in a nursing home. Is that the one?
    Betina
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    betina61 said:

Stacey
    I might be considered and oldtimer too, joined July 2006, what was the "user name" of the librarian? OH God I still remember her,if is the one I think she was against chemo 100% and had her mother in a nursing home. Is that the one?
    Betina

Yep
    Yep, that was her! She was trying to push Procell on everyone. I still have copies of the threats she made to me & Katie. Name began with an "E"....I know it but won't print it due to fear that she may creep out of the woodwork! lol
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member

Yep
    Yep, that was her! She was trying to push Procell on everyone. I still have copies of the threats she made to me & Katie. Name began with an "E"....I know it but won't print it due to fear that she may creep out of the woodwork! lol

E but NOT Emily!!
    Just wanting to clarify that the E name is not the Emily name. Plus I'm not Russian anyway. ;-)

Creepy.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Inclusiveness

Hi Donna:

I, too, miss some of the people like Cheryl Hutch who used to post here.

I can only speak for myself, but I am here because I need information and moral support-- not prayers or proselytizing. To be very honest, it makes me uncomfortable when people post an unsolicited message that they are praying for me or when they assume that everyone who posts on this board is a Christian.

As I wrote "back in the day" when the battle over religion on this board was raging, I think people have a right to write whatever they please but I also think they should have a moral conscience that guides them away from (mis)using that right to make the people who don't share their religious beliefs feel that they are outsiders. To do that, discourages the "outsiders" from seeking the help and solace that this board can (and should) offer. As I recall, what I wrote at that time of the religious debate here was that there is a vast difference between what you can say and what you should say in a diverse society. I certainly don't support censorship although there certainly were people who characterized my position that way. I do support inclusiveness.

This is, after all, a quasi-public board--public in the sense that anyone can post here but also the "only game in town" when it comes to providing a real platform for discussion of colon cancer, caregiving, etc. I'm grateful to the ACS for creating a separate section for the discussion of religious issues. I'm also grateful to the people on this board who have worked to make this a more inclusive board.

Hatshepsut

Inclusiveness
    Great post Hatshepsut, very well put as usual.
    I strongly believe that everyone who thinks like we do should be allowed here ;-)
    The other forum has been a very interesting place for "other" discussions but it is important for us all to police ourselves.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Prayer
    Hi, As far as people being offended when we say "you are in my prayers" Personally, PRAY AWAY!!! I don't care what religion you are, to me a prayer is a prayer! I will take them all! :) It is such a kind thing to do for someone, no matter what religion you are.
    JUST MY OPINION! Doesn't mean I'm right!
    Karyn

I don't thnk I am an oldie but goodie....lol
    dx Nov 2008, tumor in acsending colon, took out 7 inches, spread to my liver and 7 out of about 17 lymp nodes. liver resection April 2009. Finished chemo 4 weeks ago. NED - Playing the waiting game now........November will be my next scan.