My father has had a prostectomy, the PSA still slightly elevated within 6 weeks. Then radiation, and PSA around 2. It has gone from 2 - 4., then 4.- 7. within each 6 weeks thereafter. With a 7.1 PSA now, it is evidently a very agressive cancer. At this time, there are no symptoms, but according to what we've studied, there is cancer lurking, and increasing - which will eventually have symptoms in bones, etc.
Does anyone have input on this stage. There is a lot of discussion about the benefit of beginning Lupron, or castration at this point - if it should be started immediately, or wait. The quality of life, is the issue here, it seems. I am seeking as much information about this controvsery, as possible. So many Drs. want to begin right away - and some of the leading Drs. in this field say wait until PSA is higher and there are symptoms. I find the range of views very difficult to understand and would welcome any ideas or sources of information you would suggest.
Marcia (daughter of survivor)