Article from webmd.com about lymph node removal

joannstar
joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
I came across this article about a study on early stage breast cancer with spread to lymph nodes removal.

In case anyone is interested, the link is pasted below.

JoAnn

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20110208/lymph-node-removal-not-needed-for-breast-cancer-patients

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Thanks for the post
    They did a story about this on the Today show this morning. Thanks.

marge
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99

Thanks for the post
    They did a story about this on the Today show this morning. Thanks.

marge

interesting i just had 21
    interesting i just had 21 lymph nods removed 1/14 had my port put in yesterday sore neck =:(
  • lori1961
    lori1961 Member Posts: 56
    lymph node removal
    Thanks for the info, a little late for me, they found cancer in my left sentinal node than took the rest of them out. So far not to may problems.
  • lori1961
    lori1961 Member Posts: 56
    lymph node removal
    Thanks for the info, a little late for me, they found cancer in my left sentinal node than took the rest of them out. So far not to may problems.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    lori1961 said:

lymph node removal

all nodes are removed only when doctors suspect lymph nodes
    all nodes are removed only when doctors suspect lymph nodes involvement. Yes, if sentinel node positive, more nodes could be removed
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431

all nodes are removed only when doctors suspect lymph nodes
    all nodes are removed only when doctors suspect lymph nodes involvement. Yes, if sentinel node positive, more nodes could be removed

Nodes
    I had 4 removed...one was positive for cancer. I think my surgeon was very conservative (for which I'm grateful!!) since it was so microscopic in the one node.

So far so good!
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    NY Times
    My bf read an article from the NY times, that women must meet certain criteria and that only 20% or 40,000 women have no advantage to taking out lypmh nodes. That leaves 80% that still do. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/health/research/09breast.html?_r=2&ref=us.