Help! the DEXAmethasone really breaks out my skin!

PinkPearl
PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
Does anyone have experience with the acne like rash that the steroid DEXAmethasone gives some people. I started breaking out the second day after my first chemo and it is still breaking out 9 days later. I showed the nurse and basically she said I just would have to deal with it. She kept telling me to take benedryl if it itches but it doesn't itch, it hurts like acne. I probably have over 100 places on my chest, face(mostly around the chin and mouth)even in my hair which I expect to lose in a week or so. I met a lady yesterday that said she had the same thing and went to her dermatologist and she took a pill each day for the months she was in chemo to help it but it all had to be approved by her oncologist. Are there dermatologists that deal with this? I don't want to mess up the chemo in any way but I would like to put the best face forward if I have no hair!! :)

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    No experience
    I had almost the opposite reaction, my skin cleared up beautifully with chemo. I had a rash once, but it itched like mad for a week and I had to take steroids for it.
    Good luck, I'm sure that someone has had your experience and will have suggestions.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    joannstar said:

No experience
    I had almost the opposite reaction, my skin cleared up beautifully with chemo. I had a rash once, but it itched like mad for a week and I had to take steroids for it.
    Good luck, I'm sure that someone has had your experience and will have suggestions.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn

I used Lindi cream, it is a
    I used Lindi cream, it is a line of creams for chemo patients. check it out on line and see if anything seems to fit. I had a bad rash from the taxol and it seemed to help. Ihope this clears up soon for you ! remember this too shall pass.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    carkris said:

I used Lindi cream, it is a
    I used Lindi cream, it is a line of creams for chemo patients. check it out on line and see if anything seems to fit. I had a bad rash from the taxol and it seemed to help. Ihope this clears up soon for you ! remember this too shall pass.

rash
    I broke out in a rash pretty soon after I started chemo ...

The tops of my hands itched and burned and were beet red. I also got a rash on my upper back. My oncologist sent me to a dermatologist ... and she fixed me up with some ointments and lotions that did the trick.

Good luck!

hugs.
    teena
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    tgf said:

rash
    I broke out in a rash pretty soon after I started chemo ...

The tops of my hands itched and burned and were beet red. I also got a rash on my upper back. My oncologist sent me to a dermatologist ... and she fixed me up with some ointments and lotions that did the trick.

Good luck!

hugs.
    teena

Teena, excellent suggestion -- Dermatologist
    Wow .. you have to just deal with it! I might have a personal and up close conversation with my Onc about his nurse. There are many medications out there to help! No one deserves to be treated like a 'number' in lieu of person, by any medical personnel. Breast Cancer and all it's various side efforts, trama, loss of hair - emotional roller ... is more than enough. We do NOT have to suffer, unnessarily!

Please make a call for an appointment.

Vicki Sam
  • cathg
    cathg Member Posts: 21
    me too
    Hey pink.
    Was just going to post the same question. I woke up this morning, after my 2nd chemo, acne galor. on my face, back, chest, behind my ears and on my scalp. quite painful too.

the worst is that I own a day spa...hee hee. spa owner with acne is not goign to inspire much confidence. In the meantime, I am using bactrobane ( anti-bacterial ointment) and Dermalogica's bedtime for breakouts.

What a rollercoster. Im going to check with my oncologist in the morning. Will let you know.

speak soonxxx