Herceptin and Port

joyyee1
joyyee1 Member Posts: 31
I've been having Herceptin treatments for almost 10 months, but my last echo cardiogram showed that my EF (ejection fraction number) had dropped below 50 ... so they have stopped the treatments for a couple of months to allow the number to go back up.
My concern is with my port.... if it isn't accessed for 2 or more months... will it still work when I need it again??

Anyone have experience with this problem???

Thanks for any responses!!

Comments

• Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Check with your onco, I know
    Check with your onco, I know the port has to be flushed every few weeks.

Lupe
  • joyyee1
    joyyee1 Member Posts: 31
    Pinkpower said:

Check with your onco, I know
    Check with your onco, I know the port has to be flushed every few weeks.

Lupe

Herceptin/port

thanks! I will call my onco tomorrow to ask... I'm surprised the nurse didn't mention that to me!! Oh well, you have to look out for yourself sometimes!!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    joyyee1 said:

Herceptin/port

thanks! I will call my onco tomorrow to ask... I'm surprised the nurse didn't mention that to me!! Oh well, you have to look out for yourself sometimes!!

That is the sad truth. Thank
    That is the sad truth. Thank God for this board, You would be surprised on how much info we help each other with that we did not get from Doctors, nurses, hospitals, etc.

Lupe
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Yep...
    As long as it's flushed....call your onc.

I also had Herceptin. Hope things have improved soon for you!

Hugs,
    CR
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Port flushing
    I got my port removed a couple of months after finishing chemo so flushing wasn't an issue. My husband, however, kept his port in for over 3 YEARS (colon cancer). Our oncologist said if a port isn't being used for treatment then it needs to be flushed every 3 months. I understand that other oncologists want them flushed more frequently.
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99

Port flushing
    I got my port removed a couple of months after finishing chemo so flushing wasn't an issue. My husband, however, kept his port in for over 3 YEARS (colon cancer). Our oncologist said if a port isn't being used for treatment then it needs to be flushed every 3 months. I understand that other oncologists want them flushed more frequently.

just got my port put in
    just got my port put in yesterday feels really weird
  • simplygrace
    simplygrace Member Posts: 10
    pokrydi said:

just got my port put in
    just got my port put in yesterday feels really weird

It does feel weird. It took
    It does feel weird. It took me a few weeks to get used to mine. But now I don't even notice it. Good luck with your treatments!

Amy