First Chemo

Hi All..

Thursday, Feb 3 was my first Chemo Treatment..I took the rest of day off and worked from home on Friday.. I spent the whole weekend resting and back at work today... My work is an hour away from home - so, hopefully I won't get too tired.. I guess I"m doing ok. I'm still terrified of losing my hair - but getting my head wrapped around that as well..

Lana..

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Happy first one is over
    Sorry you have such a long ride to and from work!

Keep us updated...

Denise W.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Your 1st Chemo
    Congratulations on making it through your 1st chemo. It will be the first of how many? I had 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere. I had my hair cut short when I started chemo in anticipation of it falling out. I figured it would be easier going from short hair to no hair at all. My hair started falling out on Day 14 - the day before the 2nd round of A/C. It took about 2 weeks before it really starting looking ridiculous. That is when I had my husband shave off what remained and I went to the wig and head scarf look. It was weeks before I could look in the mirror without crying. It was very emotional. I am now 6 months post chemo and my hair is growing back nicely. I look more like Halle Berry (hairwise at least) and less like Montel Williams/Telly Savalas.

I am glad you found this discussion board. You will find a wealth of info and support here. Almost anything that you will experience during chemo you will find someone else has been there and done that. My personal congratulations on getting yourself to work today. My husband works 45 minutes from home and that is usually the worst part of his day. We are grateful that we live in Northern California (near San Jose) where it is expected to be about 73 degrees today.

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • simplygrace
    simplygrace Member Posts: 10
    Congrats!
    Congrats on getting through your first treatment. That one was my hardest. But the second one went without incident! I found it easier that when I started to loose my hair I had my husband shave it off and it was liberating!!!!!! When you can control something you feel better about it.

I'm glad your doing well.

Simplygrace
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Lana, welcome to this
    Lana, welcome to this amazing group of very amazing individuals. It is encouraging to read that your first chemo went well and you are back at work. Your first one is usually an indication of how you handle future treatments. But, with that said, chemo is cumulative and you may experience a little more fatigue as you get more treatments. I had a pretty easy time of chemo and the absolute worst part for me was losing my hair. I believe that happened for me on around day 14 after the first treatment. I did have my hair dresser shave mine off when it started coming out. You will know when you get to that stage and decide what is best for you. I will say that once I was used to not having hair it sure made it quicker to get ready to go out. No shaving or blow drying. In order to get through this whirlwind you have to look at the positives. Good luck to you and continue to post and we'll help you through your journey. Take care.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Congrats!
    Congrats on getting through your first treatment. That one was my hardest. But the second one went without incident! I found it easier that when I started to loose my hair I had my husband shave it off and it was liberating!!!!!! When you can control something you feel better about it.

I'm glad your doing well.

Simplygrace

So glad that you have that
    So glad that you have that first chemo done and got to work from home. I didn't take chemo, but, I know it must be hard to do. Praying for you!

Hugs!
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Good luck
    Lana. Now that you have the first behind you, a lot of the anxiety will be gone. Mentally, the first is definitely the worst. Be strong and you will get through this fine. I wish you well over this period.

Clementine
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

Good luck
    Lana. Now that you have the first behind you, a lot of the anxiety will be gone. Mentally, the first is definitely the worst. Be strong and you will get through this fine. I wish you well over this period.

Clementine

Welcome to our group. 1
    Welcome to our group. 1 chemo down and finished is good and it seems that so far, so good. Hope that continues. I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lana,
    Welcome! Happily your first chemo is over and you have found us. I want to tell you that the name you chose 'it is what it is' is my motto. Looking at things that way helps to put them in perspective.

Please come here with any questions or concerns.

Big hugs,

Sue
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Welcome to the club no one
    Welcome to the club no one should have to belong to. Simplygrace said it well. Many remove their hair prior to it falling out as a sign of defiance and taking control. I don't know how your work is but you need to take care of yourself through this. If losing your hair is what terrifys you the most with all this, you will make it through this just fine.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    fauxma said:

Welcome to our group. 1
    Welcome to our group. 1 chemo down and finished is good and it seems that so far, so good. Hope that continues. I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef

Welcome! Number 1 done and
    Welcome! Number 1 done and over with! Congrats to you! Keeping you in my prayers and sending positive thoughts too.

Hugs, Megan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Glad you have the first one
    Glad you have the first one behind you now Lana and also welcome to the site! Praying for you and hoping the rest of your chemo treatments will go smoothly for you.

Rest as much as you can and drink lots of water.

Hugs, Kylez
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Lana,
    Welcome! Happily your first chemo is over and you have found us. I want to tell you that the name you chose 'it is what it is' is my motto. Looking at things that way helps to put them in perspective.

Please come here with any questions or concerns.

Big hugs,

Sue

If you should lose your
    If you should lose your hair, there is a great post on here with lots of information for free scarves, wigs and bandannas. I can always bump it up for you if you should need it.

Kylez