Colonoscopy tomorrow AM - UPDATE

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited February 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
It was NASTY - well the aftermath (and still is) - they had me really knocked out for it.

There is one good part to it - the 2/3rds portion he was able to see has no issues at all - normal. Problem is that he couldn't get into the last 1/3rd as that portion is "jumbled" (at least that's what Hubby heard him say - I don't remember other than he said that he could only do part and was suggesting that my PA order a barium enema so the rest could be checked.) I woke up in recovery with BAD abdominal pain. X-ray machine was brought in - all it showed was the air they had put in. When I got dressed to go home, 'tummy' was so bloated (and hurting) that jeans would not come close to fastening.

Still is hurting - Hubby called work last night and told them he wouldn't be in as he was taking me to ER in the morning (or sooner - he wanted to last night but I wouldn't agree but did say that I would this AM if still pain). Went to ER this morn - ER Dr said that there is still a lot of air there and to use suppositories to hopefully move the air on.

Right now I feel better than this time yesterday (anethisia after effects are gone) but I still hurt and am bloated big time.

Susan

I have an appt tomorrow morn for a colonoscopy. No reason to think it'll be anything except 'normal'. None of my 'cancer' Drs have suggested it but my PA thinks it should be done "to be safe" as IBC does sometimes like to go to colon so she scheduled it. So I'm drinking yucky junk and will get knocked out for a while tomorrow - Oh HaWell - this too will pass.

Would appreciate ya'll thoughts/prayers there tomorrow with me.

Susan

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Susan
    I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I had my first 10 years ago and this is my year to have another one. I was clean last time and hoping for the same this year. Hope you are too! The worse part is the prep. I know so many who wont go for the test.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Susan
    I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I had my first 10 years ago and this is my year to have another one. I was clean last time and hoping for the same this year. Hope you are too! The worse part is the prep. I know so many who wont go for the test.
    {{hugs}} Char

UGH
    The procedure is fine, but the prep . . . .

Good luck tomorrow.

Suzanne
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    You betcha!! Never had one
    You betcha!! Never had one but I hear they're not bad. Glad your PA is playing it safe!
    jan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Susan
    {{hugs}} Char

I had one approx 30 years
    I had one approx 30 years ago - not nice - (long story why - really not needed other than Dr trying to cover his butt after Mom died - she was aneortic) but don't think this is going to be as bad. Have to drink a bunch of "yuck" and then they are supposed to knock me out tomorrow for it. At least thats what the paper says - have to bring Hubby to drive home as I will have been 'knocked out'.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I have not had one.
    But I will send you good thoughts and positive energy tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    ladyg said:

I have not had one.
    But I will send you good thoughts and positive energy tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Georgia

A tip
    Be sure to sit on a towel in the car on your way to the procedure and/or wear a heavy pad or depend. You will likely still "squirt" a bit in the morning.

The procedure itself is a piece of cake.

Oh, the joys of being over 50 . . .
    Suzanne
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452

A tip
    Be sure to sit on a towel in the car on your way to the procedure and/or wear a heavy pad or depend. You will likely still "squirt" a bit in the morning.

The procedure itself is a piece of cake.

Oh, the joys of being over 50 . . .
    Suzanne

The procedure itself was
    The procedure itself was pretty easy. I was so loopy I didn't care what they did down there! I also was told to have one of these because they wanted to cover every part of me because of my history. I did the GoLytley with Gatorade. Much gentler than the old way of prepping! And yes, take something to pad yourself....the leaks just happen. All the best to you. Hugs, Cindy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    prep to me worst then test
    I have had Ulcertive colitis for over 18 yrs and have colonscopy at least ONCE a year (so over 19-22 so far) due for one in about 2-3 wks!

ONCE I get hooked up to IV upon arrival I am good to go..

I"LL be thinking of you...

also: since on TAMOXIFEN-my colitis has been in total remission -after 18+ yrs...curious once I stop it in about 3+ yrs will colitis flare back up>! interesting to see
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I will be with you tomorrow!
    I will be with you tomorrow! Praying that all goes well.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Susan,
    Prayers and good

Susan,
    Prayers and good thoughts are coming your way. Not so sure you will want all of us in the room while you have this test. LOL But we can crowd the waiting room and give you a hug before and after. I just did one recently along with an endoscopy. I found that it helped to just chug the drink each time. Are you drinking an 8 oz glass every 15 minutes? I actually prefer this drink to the one for abdominal ultrasound. That one is so chalky and nasty. This one is just very salty tasting. Good thoughts that everything goes smoothly (that can be taken many ways) and that the results are good. I didn't worry about mine either even with the potential for me getting colon cancer. Let us know the results when you get them.
    Stef
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    coming up for my annual test next week
    I have had colonscopy for the past 18 yrs-couple years 2 x...test not bad prep ugggghhhhh!

I HOPE all turns out well...

Denise W