Stage IV Good News

mom_2_3
mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had an appointment with my oncologist today to get the results of last week's CT scan. While we met with the nurse to go over the health questions, I became teary in anticipation of seeing the doctor. When my oncologist walked in the first thing she said was, "the scan looks good."

I asked her about recurrence percentages and she simply said that of those that recur, most do so in the first two years. So, I have made a major milestone in my illness. I have now been NED for two years. My doctor had a big smile on her face, as did I, when I left the room. My CEA came back one of the lowest that it has been (down to 2.1 from a high of 318) so I was also very happy about that.

It seems as if most days there is some type of bad news on the board. I always wonder if it's the right thing to post good news but I remind myself how happy I feel when others post good news, so I decided to share.

You can click on my username for the complete history of my treatments but the basics are that I was diagnosed with Stage IV in November 2008 due to the discovery of the cancer during a planned c-section. My daughter Katherine has been an angel to me in many ways and I feel blessed to be her mother. When our oldest was born I was back a work at 3 weeks. When the second was born I was back at work in 6 weeks. My job had been very stressful and i had to travel constantly. I actually visited 48 of the 50 states as well as a number of other countries (including New Zealand) for my job. The lining of this cloud has been that I have been home with our children.

I exercise everyday and I juice as well. The rest of my time I am busy shuttling our two older children to various activities and trying to keep some semblance of order in our messy house. The laundry never ends....

I cherish each day.

Love to you all,
Amy

Comments

• TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Just what I needed to hear.
    Amy,
    Thank you for sharing and congratulations on the 2 year mark. Wishing you many many more.
    Tom
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Awshum!!!!
    This is great news Amy. I really love your story.
    Stay Well

Roger
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Major milestone = major congratulations!
    Amy,

I am so happy for you! Don't ever not post good news; the more the better!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Amy
    It's always right to post good news. Congratulations to you! HUGS
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Great News!!!
    Amy,

I am so happy to hear your wonderful news!!! I can feel the joy in your posting and I am celebrating with you! I wish you a lifetime of NED.

Big hugs,

Sara
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Dearest Amy
    Please, never feel bad posting good news. It gives us all a bit of hope, for the day when we can post the same!!! How wonderful. I'm so very happy for you. Beautiful news 2 years NED!!!
    Winter Marie
  • luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    Congratulations!
    I am really happy for you Amy and hope that will happen more often!

Keep up the good spirit and good health!
    Dora
  • luvmum said:

Congratulations!
    I am really happy for you Amy and hope that will happen more often!

Keep up the good spirit and good health!
    Dora

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Right ON!!!!!
    Amy darlin,

Enjoy the hell out of being NED. Keep the great Attitude going.

You have broken the code to beating this crap, and have brightened up my day.

Kerry
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Kerry S said:

Right ON!!!!!
    Amy darlin,

Enjoy the hell out of being NED. Keep the great Attitude going.

You have broken the code to beating this crap, and have brightened up my day.

Kerry

We need all good news we can get in here.........
    Keep it coming...........and congrats on the great scan........Buzz

and watch out for that guy above me......I hear he turns into an ole coot on Saturday nights...LOL.......
  • bruins1971
    bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
    What great news
    Hello there Amy I just finished reading your information and wow you have been through the ropes and here you are still standing. Two years later the Lord still has you cancer free and being a mom everyday of your life just as you wanted. I too am stage 4 with a DX back in March of 2010. I just finished my last chemo two weeks ago and I am scheduled for a CT scan on Feb 1st and then a meeting with the doc on Feb 4th God willing I will hear those wonderful words that I am NED and then I can get back to work and try to live a normal life well as normal as I can. Again I am so happy for you and thank you for sharing with us it lifted me up at the right moment as I was having one of those moments.

With God All Things Are Possible,
    Bobby in Dallas
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    good news always welcome
    Amy there is always a place for good news. We share each other victories as well as the bad. You ONC is right about reoccurrences. My cancer came back within two years as well. Percentages aren't good for reoccurrences but in graduate statistic glass my professor fisrt statement was "statistics is the best way in the world to miss the truth". In other words statistics only tell you want the user wants them to say. Hugs Lou
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Amy
    Amy,

We all love good news!!!! Wonderful!

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Erinb
    Erinb Member Posts: 293
    What an amazing story! I am
    What an amazing story! I am so happy for you and your family.
    Erin
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Amy, That's simply wonderful

Amy, That's simply wonderful news! I'm so happy for you - may you have many many more NED years! :-) Luv, Cynthia
  • elaine77
    elaine77 Member Posts: 30
    Congrats thats great news!
    Congrats thats great news! Did you go to the MSK in NYC? Im bringing my dad there I was curious what doctors you used there. My dad just got a recurrance to the lungs and the dr said it was ok to put off chemo for a month which makes me very nervous. Anyway any info would be great. Congrats again thats amazing!
  • hopeforcure49
    hopeforcure49 Member Posts: 111
    This is awsome!
    I'm so happy for you. I love to read about the good news. It gives me hope. I too started juicing several times a day. I need to exercise more. I just walk sometimes when the weather is good. Loved your story. Thanks for the post. Blessings from LOurdes
  • abberger
    abberger Member Posts: 1
    congrats!
    Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful, encouraging news. I am bran new to this board. I started having symptoms 2 weeks after giving birth to my 2nd child and found out officially that I had colon cancer when she was 3 months old. I am feeling great, but found out I have another spot in my lung that is most likely cancer. I go for a PET tomorrow. I haven't talked with many who are mothers of young children and colon cancer survivors, so I truly enjoyed reading your story.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    abberger said:

congrats!
    Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful, encouraging news. I am bran new to this board. I started having symptoms 2 weeks after giving birth to my 2nd child and found out officially that I had colon cancer when she was 3 months old. I am feeling great, but found out I have another spot in my lung that is most likely cancer. I go for a PET tomorrow. I haven't talked with many who are mothers of young children and colon cancer survivors, so I truly enjoyed reading your story.

welcome abberger
    I am sorry you need to be here, but you have come to a great place.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Yes, perfect timing!
    Hi Amy,

I'm thrilled to hear your good news- woo hoo!!
    Never feel like your good news is "in your face" of anyone writing about bad news. This is a place to both grieve when we have to grieve, and celebrate when there's news worth celebrating. I'm celebrating with you! (a bit envious, of course, but your news gives me hope & I know it does for many, many others!)

Hugs and enjoy,
    Lisa