tomoxafin side effects

kt1127
kt1127 Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone have side effects other than the hot flashes from the tomaxifin? I am so naseaus that I vomit often and have terrible headaches. I am afraid to ask the dr to change the pill...I feel like if this is what they gave me its the best. My husband is worried and wants me to change. Does anyone else experience this.

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Please talk with your doctor
    Please talk with your doctor about your situation. They may be able to tweak the side effects somehow.

I know when I first started taking Tamoxifen, I felt fatigue and dehydrated. I worried about whether this was how it was going to be for me while on this drug. I thought 5 years on this is awful. Luckily, those symptoms tapered off. My energy level is back, but I find that I drink more water than I used to, especially when exercising.

Good luck to you.
    BL
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    headache
    I had a headache the first couple of days. The doctor suggested that I take some Tylenol and sure enough it went away. Sometimes it doesn't but in my case my body just needed to get used to it. I don't know how much of it was nerves and how much of it the Tamoxifen, but luckily for me it disappeared after about three or four days.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    cabbott said:

headache
    I had a headache the first couple of days. The doctor suggested that I take some Tylenol and sure enough it went away. Sometimes it doesn't but in my case my body just needed to get used to it. I don't know how much of it was nerves and how much of it the Tamoxifen, but luckily for me it disappeared after about three or four days.

Take with food
    I have to take mine with food or I get nauseous. Call your doctor to find out why you're getting sick.

Hope you feel better.
    Sher
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Sher43009 said:

Take with food
    I have to take mine with food or I get nauseous. Call your doctor to find out why you're getting sick.

Hope you feel better.
    Sher

I've always taken it with food
    so I haven't felt that. I do have other symptoms though...leg cramps, night sweats, hot flashes...
  • kt1127

Please talk with your doctor
    Please talk with your doctor about your situation. They may be able to tweak the side effects somehow.

I know when I first started taking Tamoxifen, I felt fatigue and dehydrated. I worried about whether this was how it was going to be for me while on this drug. I thought 5 years on this is awful. Luckily, those symptoms tapered off. My energy level is back, but I find that I drink more water than I used to, especially when exercising.

Good luck to you.
    BL

Thanks I am going to call my
    Thanks I am going to call my doctor tomorrow. Another day ruined by not feeling well. It is so frustrating and upsetting that I cant just have one full day without the naseau headaches and fatigue. Thanks for listening everyone
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Side Effects
    My major side effect on tamoxifien is hot flashes. The other night my hubby and I were dancing and he whispered in my ear "You're flashing aren't you?" I call my hot flashes "flashing". One minute I"m fine then the next I"m sweating like a hot day in Aug. Talk to your dr. about your side effects. The other thing it has done is kill my sex drive. I think that is worse than hot flashes.

Janie
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    AMomNETN said:

Side Effects
    My major side effect on tamoxifien is hot flashes. The other night my hubby and I were dancing and he whispered in my ear "You're flashing aren't you?" I call my hot flashes "flashing". One minute I"m fine then the next I"m sweating like a hot day in Aug. Talk to your dr. about your side effects. The other thing it has done is kill my sex drive. I think that is worse than hot flashes.

Janie

Hot flashes
    Hot flashes have been my main SE When I first started taking it I was really moody and irritable but that has gotten much better. I do have some achiness sometimes but not to bad. Please check with your Dr. to see what he has to say. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Hot flashes
    Hot flashes have been my main SE When I first started taking it I was really moody and irritable but that has gotten much better. I do have some achiness sometimes but not to bad. Please check with your Dr. to see what he has to say. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

There's more than one way to take Tamoxifen
    kt, I haven't had the side effects from Tamoxifen you're describing (I've been on it for over a year now, and hot flashes are really my only side effect), but I just wanted to suggest that you talk to your doctor about what time of day you take it.

Some doctors tell you to take the full 20 mg in the morning, some in the evening, and some prescribe 10 mg pills to take morning and evening. Some women have found that splitting it up that way (half in the morning, half in the evening) really helps their side effects, so definitely ask your doctor if he/she feels that might help you.

Let us know how you do,

Traci
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    kt1127 said:

Thanks I am going to call my
    Thanks I am going to call my doctor tomorrow. Another day ruined by not feeling well. It is so frustrating and upsetting that I cant just have one full day without the naseau headaches and fatigue. Thanks for listening everyone

Please do call your doctor,
    Please do call your doctor, and, let us know what you find out.

Hugs, Megan
  • kt1127
    TraciInLA said:

kt, I haven't had the side effects from Tamoxifen you're describing (I've been on it for over a year now, and hot flashes are really my only side effect), but I just wanted to suggest that you talk to your doctor about what time of day you take it.

Some doctors tell you to take the full 20 mg in the morning, some in the evening, and some prescribe 10 mg pills to take morning and evening. Some women have found that splitting it up that way (half in the morning, half in the evening) really helps their side effects, so definitely ask your doctor if he/she feels that might help you.

Let us know how you do,

Traci

Thanks everyone
    I called my dr this morning and he was out and his partner had me come in immediately. He has decided that he does not want to change the tomoxafin without speaking to my dr so he is treating my side effects symptomatically....More pills....37.5 more of effexor and composene four times a day and aleve for the leg cramps. I will see my dr after the surgery (2/22) and then he will decide what else to do. Thanks for all the support
    Kim
  • kt1127
    TraciInLA said:

Let us know how you do,

Traci

Thanks everyone
    I called my dr this morning and he was out and his partner had me come in immediately. He has decided that he does not want to change the tomoxafin without speaking to my dr so he is treating my side effects symptomatically....More pills....37.5 more of effexor and composene four times a day and aleve for the leg cramps. I will see my dr after the surgery (2/22) and then he will decide what else to do. Thanks for all the support
    Kim
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I am waiting for results thrusday
    OUT OF blue after over 3+ yrs of not periods/ menopause I started bleeding! went the the dr monday am...he was not too concerned since had 2 D & C in past year and all ok...so he did some more tests to be sent out. I would assume just a side effect! NO pain or anything...so HOPEFULLY few more days i'll know..