Failed Flap Reconstruction

kaleey
kaleey Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I would like to know if anyone else out there has had failed Flap reconstruction. Mine did not take and the Dr waited too long to remove and I got a severe infection which left my stomach in worse shape than where they removed my breast,it is bad too. The Dr wants to do more surgery and I just don't know. I hate being so butchered up, but am terrified of what could be worse. I can't even voice what I feel. The first time I had Cancer I had a lumpectomy, Chemo, Radiation, that was horrible but this is so with you every single day. I hate to think I am so vain I can't get past it. I just need to know if a second reconstruction could go right??

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I had a question...
    such as what do you mean by he "waited too long?"

You can always get a 2nd opinion with a different surgeon. Research to find out which surgeon's have performed this type of surgery more. I'm sorry this has happened to you and no, you are NOT vain in the least. No one wants to have to go through ANY surgery...even a lumpectomy.

I'm praying that you make a decision that's best for YOU.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hi Kaleey, I had three
    Hi Kaleey, I had three reconstruction surgeries because my right breast kept falling. It's looking as if I will need yet another. My thoughts are, if your strong enough and you do well with surgery, what can it hurt. I know the feeling of being unhappy with the results. Seems we have gone through enough that we shouldn't have to make these decisions. I'm 39 years old and single so I wanted to look as "normal" as I could. Big hugs to you and I pray you find the right answers.
    Kari
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Hi Kaleey, I had three
    Hi Kaleey, I had three reconstruction surgeries because my right breast kept falling. It's looking as if I will need yet another. My thoughts are, if your strong enough and you do well with surgery, what can it hurt. I know the feeling of being unhappy with the results. Seems we have gone through enough that we shouldn't have to make these decisions. I'm 39 years old and single so I wanted to look as "normal" as I could. Big hugs to you and I pray you find the right answers.
    Kari

Hi kaleey
    I am really sorry. I have had flap reconstruction and understand how devastating you feel after losing your flap. I also understand that you cannot bring yourself to another surgery, so take your time , research get a second opinion gain energy and confidence. There is nothing wrong to wait for several months , probably find another doctor. Mastectomy and flap reconstruction are major surgery and recovery time take several weeks.
    Please listen to your body which need to come back physically and psychologically before go to operation room again.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    i'm so sorry!
    Dear Kaleey,

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this. The BC scare is bad enough and now this. I'm sorry.

I didn't have the procedure you had but I've heard amazing things about NOLA. Here is a link to that site. These doctors are some of the best in the world at the flap procedures and the hospital is geared towards caring for the women post-op. It is possible for a second reconstruction to go correctly. Hope this helps you! Praying that you heal quickly.

Much love and hugs,
    dh

http://www.breastcenter.com/doctors/doctors.php?gclid=CIGtgPyL0qYCFRxqgwodrhHnHg
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    sea60 said:

I had a question...
    such as what do you mean by he "waited too long?"

You can always get a 2nd opinion with a different surgeon. Research to find out which surgeon's have performed this type of surgery more. I'm sorry this has happened to you and no, you are NOT vain in the least. No one wants to have to go through ANY surgery...even a lumpectomy.

I'm praying that you make a decision that's best for YOU.

Hugs,

Sylvia

I had a lumpectomy, but,
    I had a lumpectomy, but, wanted to wish you good luck and to say how sorry I am that this happened. Sylvia is right, you can get a 2nd opinion.

Hugs, Angie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

i'm so sorry!
    Dear Kaleey,

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this. The BC scare is bad enough and now this. I'm sorry.

I didn't have the procedure you had but I've heard amazing things about NOLA. Here is a link to that site. These doctors are some of the best in the world at the flap procedures and the hospital is geared towards caring for the women post-op. It is possible for a second reconstruction to go correctly. Hope this helps you! Praying that you heal quickly.

Much love and hugs,
    dh

http://www.breastcenter.com/doctors/doctors.php?gclid=CIGtgPyL0qYCFRxqgwodrhHnHg

bumping up
    bumping