Had my evaluation with thyroid surgeon today

hopeful girl 1
hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hi friends.
Had my evaluation with thyroid surgeon today-he was super nice.
Was pretty encouraging. Blood work looked good, and there were no calcifications or oddities on the ultrasound. He did his exam feeling my neck and nodules etc and there were no swollen lymph nodes (good) and the nodules were soft and moveable (good). For good measure they are ordering a fine needle biopsy to check on two of the three nodules (3rd is so small it is not considered to be clinically significant) and the doc expects the test to come back benign. My biopsy will be on January 21st.

He said if comes back benign no action needed, as they are very small, and he will see me back in 6 months to monitor. So that is what I am hoping for.

I asked about pain level of needle biopsy and he claims not bad. He said they numb it with a freezing agent and have staff on hand to sample and make sure they have taken enough tissue to provide proper results. And they will use the ultrasound to guide the biopsy.

So, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I was glad if benign no talk of surgery.

Hugs,
Cindy

Comments

• billieny89
    billieny89 Member Posts: 10
    i hope your biopsy went well
    i hope your biopsy went well and went pain free.
    I had a FNB and i had some pain because i had some calcification.
    i wish you nothing but the best !

keep us updated

~Billie Jean
  • MBuff
    MBuff Member Posts: 11

i hope your biopsy went well
    i hope your biopsy went well and went pain free.
    I had a FNB and i had some pain because i had some calcification.
    i wish you nothing but the best !

keep us updated

~Billie Jean

I had some calcification,
    I had some calcification, but I am happy to say my biopsy was almost completely pain free (just the tiniest stick) and I did it without a numbing agent. Good luck!
  • MBuff
    MBuff Member Posts: 11
    MBuff said:

I had some calcification,
    I had some calcification, but I am happy to say my biopsy was almost completely pain free (just the tiniest stick) and I did it without a numbing agent. Good luck!

Billie Joe, I meant to reply
    Billie Joe, I meant to reply to the original poster. :)
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    MBuff said:

Billie Joe, I meant to reply
    Billie Joe, I meant to reply to the original poster. :)

Biopsy
    Hi all,

The biopsy for me was not fun. I had lidocaine, but I still felt some of it, the nodule they were doing biopsy for was on back side of thyroid I guess.

Also, I had a scare because radiologist said she would ask me if I was numb and test me by poking me with needle and seeing if I felt it. She forgot and just started the biopsy and I didn't know at first and I spoke. They all panicked and told me not to speak or swallow until told. When I was given ok I asked if any damage was done by my speaking and they didn't answer I asked again and they seemed hesitant but said it was ok. Said when you speak or swallow nodule goes up and down and they lose sight of the needle on the ultrasound. Talk about scaring me.

Also I was supposed to have biopsy on 2 nodules as per thyroid surgeon and radiologist determined she was only going to do one. I have three: one is cystic, two are solid. He wanted the two solid done. She said other solid was too small and should just be monitored. I hope surgeon is ok with that.

And I sure hope is benign. I had been dx with uterine cancer in Feb 2010 and had surgery, chemo and radiation last year-last chemo in Nov 2010, so I sure hope there is nothing else going on here.