Post reconstruction surgery after breast double mastectomy

Brittain45
Brittain45 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am trying to find out if anyone has experienced a very unrelenting and uncomfortable result following implant placement with alloderm. My PS has not suggested an answer except to say it is unusual. "It" feels like a very tight under wire bra is pushing in on my ribs at all times. This feeling began in Sept. following the first surgery for the double mastectomy and expander placement using alloderm and continues following the second surgery for the implants. My PS did not say it would or would not go away. Has anyone any light to shine on this problem? Thank you.

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Welcome!
    Welcome Brittain45! I can't answer your question, as, I had a lumpectomy, but, I know the sisters in pink here that have had this will respond to you.

Wishing you good luck,

♥ Noel
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    I had my expander/implant exchange last month and haven't experienced that what you're describing. But that's just me, everyone is different. It sounds like you're in some extreme discomfort. The fact that your PS is not providing a comprehensive answer is discouraging.

It could be that your PS is dismissing your very real physical symptoms as an extended adjustment period. Which, it may or may not be...either way it should be directly addressed.

It might help if you take a small notebook with you to your appt. before you even leave your house write down all of the things you want to discuss during your appt.. Also, try to keep a daily/24 hour pain or symptom diary. Like how often and for how long you feel this event, and if it's all the time then write down how often it is that you Don't feel it.

Hope this helps. =)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Dear Brittain45 - I've heard
    Dear Brittain45 - I've heard of what some women call "The Iron Bra Syndrome" after reconsructive surgery. It is a feeling of extreme tightness across the ribs and chest. There is also something called "Post-Masectomy Pain Syndrome" that could be what you're describing. I've posted a couple of links that may help you. The first is a thread started by women who are experiencing the PMPS. The second is some information on it. Along with lymphedema, the pain issue following MX is something that we don't hear much about and sadly, the doctors don't know much about it either. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. The good news is, for a lot of women, time often resolves the pain. But it can take up to a year or longer. I'm sorry you're experiencing this! :(

Much Love and Hugs,
    dh

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/747016?page=1

http://www.cancerlynx.com/mastectomypain.html
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

Dear Brittain45 - I've heard of what some women call "The Iron Bra Syndrome" after reconsructive surgery. It is a feeling of extreme tightness across the ribs and chest. There is also something called "Post-Masectomy Pain Syndrome" that could be what you're describing. I've posted a couple of links that may help you. The first is a thread started by women who are experiencing the PMPS. The second is some information on it. Along with lymphedema, the pain issue following MX is something that we don't hear much about and sadly, the doctors don't know much about it either. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. The good news is, for a lot of women, time often resolves the pain. But it can take up to a year or longer. I'm sorry you're experiencing this! :(

Much Love and Hugs,
    dh

found another link
    here's another link with women experiencing extreme tightness:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/746907
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Much Love and Hugs,
    dh

I had a lumpectomy also,
    I had a lumpectomy also, but, wanted to say how sorry I am that you have all of this pain.

Praying you get help with it.

Hugs, Kylez
  • Brittain45
    Brittain45 Member Posts: 2
    Noel said:

Welcome!
    Welcome Brittain45! I can't answer your question, as, I had a lumpectomy, but, I know the sisters in pink here that have had this will respond to you.

Wishing you good luck,

♥ Noel

Pain following implants after mastectomy
    Just want to thank all of you so very much for your encouragement and information. This will help me go back to my PS with better questions and hopefully I will get more information in return! I'm sure it will all get worked out for the best. Thanks again.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Attorney Commercial
    I've seen a couple of those 'attorney' commercials on TV recently about "If you had "Such and such" and now have problems - you may be due money!" One of the more recent things they've been talking about is "Alloderm". It's from cadavers. I remember it saying that something about hernia repair but I think cancer was also mentioned - don't remember for sure. Will keep an ear out for that commercial and get the number.

Susan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jendrey said:

I had my expander/implant exchange last month and haven't experienced that what you're describing. But that's just me, everyone is different. It sounds like you're in some extreme discomfort. The fact that your PS is not providing a comprehensive answer is discouraging.

It could be that your PS is dismissing your very real physical symptoms as an extended adjustment period. Which, it may or may not be...either way it should be directly addressed.

It might help if you take a small notebook with you to your appt. before you even leave your house write down all of the things you want to discuss during your appt.. Also, try to keep a daily/24 hour pain or symptom diary. Like how often and for how long you feel this event, and if it's all the time then write down how often it is that you Don't feel it.

Hope this helps. =)

Like others wrote,
    Like others wrote, breastcancer.org might be a lot of help for you too. They have an individual discussion just for this.

Hugs, Diane
  • jayeroche
    jayeroche Member Posts: 16
    same here
    Hi. I had the same surgery you are talking about in Dec with the Alloderm and expanders. I have had 2 "fills" since the main surgery. The tightness for me got a little bit better after the expanders had less slack, for a lack of a better term. But I do still feel very tight at times. It seems to be worse in the morning. I'm not sure if it is because fluids are shifting and settling. I was told that this is normal and did also hear from another woman, she had experienced the same feeling. I was told by my surgeons that this would subside after the fills were complete and the muscle has time to relax. They also told me that after the implant switcharoo the breasts would be much softer and feel like they belong to me. I think it's mostly related to the muscle stretching with the alloderm attached to it. We're like patchwork dolls. Massaging and moving them around, although sometimes uncomfortable, seems to help as well. Anyway, I hope this was helpful.

Janis
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Sorry No suggestions or
    Sorry No suggestions or thoughts-JUST a quick..hope things get better soon!

Denise W.