Are you ready for another snowstorm????

meena1
meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yep, just heard another major snowstorm is threatening the Northeast from Tuesday to Thursday! We just had snow last nite and i am running out of groceries. I will need to hit the crazy grocery stores this weekend. I am running out of ideas on what to cook, any ideas? We have had a rough winter. At least i do no have any doctor visits scheduled this week.

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    ANOTHER snowstorm?????
    I certainly do not envy your seemingly endless snowstorms. I knew there was a reason I live in Northern California (near San Francisco). It was 65 degrees here today. I am glad you have no doctor appts. this week. It is a pain to have to reschedule, isn't it?
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Meena,
    I have to say NO! I am NOT! I think I'm 5 hours north of you and basically on the same storm track. Enough already.

Sue
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    My go to recipe!
    Italian Pasta & Bean Soup..quick..ready in less than 30minutes!

1tbs plus 2 tsp extra-virgin police oil

1 med onion chopped

2 tbsp minced garlic

6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth

1 1/2 cups small bow tie pasta. (even small elbow macaroni will do..any small pasta)

2 cans cannelloni beans or northern beans ( I actually prefer northern,smaller)

1 can ( 14.5oz ) diced tomatoes..................................................................oop!!! Whe you remove from heat add parsley and parm cheese

1/2 cup chopped parsley

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a 3 quart saucepan....
    Sauté onion in 1 tbs oil..about 5 minutes, add garlic stirring for 1 minute
    Add broth, bring to a boil. Add pasta, cook 5 minutes
    Stir in beans and tomatoes..cook 5 more minutes until pasta is tender...remove from heat
    You could add any type of meat if you'd like...this makes a lot and you may need to add more broth to reheat...the pasta really soaks it up..or just add water.... This sounds like it's time consuming but it isn't.
    Enjoy and hunker down! Expecting a snow/ice mis here in NC on Tuesday..will be making this Monday!

My best to you, sweet Meena
    Nancy
    Stir in parsley cheese and remaining oil.
  • meena1
    sbmly53 said:

Meena,
    I have to say NO! I am NOT! I think I'm 5 hours north of you and basically on the same storm track. Enough already.

Sue

soup sounds yummy..thanks

• sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    meena1 said:

Snow
    I live south of you Meena ...in Maryland. We may actually get this storm too...although we have missed most this year.

Chilli,curries and stews are my favourites at this time of year and they are easy to freeze. Some good cheese ,bread and pickles are good for lunches too. Let me know if you would like any recipes.

I'll think of you if the storm hits!!!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm the wrong one to ask for
    I'm the wrong one to ask for ideas of things to cook. I make a list and we have the same thing on the different days of the week. Fish sticks are Wednesday. Spaghetti is Thursday. But we love Sunday's cause we have crockpot beef stew. We also like chili with macaroni in it (Monday's). Here's one we like on Friday:

Cook 1 pound of ground turkey in large pan (you know, that big one). Lay 3 ramen noodle soup squares in the pan on top of turkey. Cover noodles with 3 cans of stewed canned tomatoes. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the spice packs from the soup. Dump in a package of frozen peas. Cover and cook until peas are cooked and noodles are tender. Stir to mix before serving. The good thing about this one is once it's all in and simmering you can leave it for variable length of times till every body gets home.

Spring will be here before you know it.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I'm the wrong one to ask for
    I'm the wrong one to ask for ideas of things to cook. I make a list and we have the same thing on the different days of the week. Fish sticks are Wednesday. Spaghetti is Thursday. But we love Sunday's cause we have crockpot beef stew. We also like chili with macaroni in it (Monday's). Here's one we like on Friday:

Cook 1 pound of ground turkey in large pan (you know, that big one). Lay 3 ramen noodle soup squares in the pan on top of turkey. Cover noodles with 3 cans of stewed canned tomatoes. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the spice packs from the soup. Dump in a package of frozen peas. Cover and cook until peas are cooked and noodles are tender. Stir to mix before serving. The good thing about this one is once it's all in and simmering you can leave it for variable length of times till every body gets home.

Spring will be here before you know it.

Marcia,
    I love the list. I

Marcia,
    I love the list. I am not the best cook and tend to stick to a group of meals. I like your idea. It's like the school luncheons. It's Friday, must be fish sticks. LOL I must admit that since we have moved I do cook more and I try new recipes. Only took me 45 years to get out of my comfort zone.
    For all of you gals in the snow, hope it lets up. And be sure and stock up. That's another thing that would be bad for me. I don't tend to stock up. We would be snowbound and eyeballing each other with recipes in mind after a short time. LOL
    I don't have any recipes but some foods that can be cooked ahead and frozen are, tuna casserole, beef stew, meatloaf, lasagna, and manacoti. I would think that stocking some cooked meals would be a good idea as well as having staples on hand. Lots of canned goods and water. Hope the storms pass quickly and don't create too much havoc.
    Stef
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Yup - it's on it's way! HEHE
    By the time it gets to you it'll be past us and I heard that another is probably on it's way to us for next week. Well - so far, not past us yet just getting here. Remember we're in the 'South' (LOL) - South DAKOTA! The sun has been out a couple of times today for short periods but we've gotten a bit over 2 inches in the last 3 hours so far here at the house.

I stay ready for winter storms - have a fair sized pantry and plenty of food in freezer (can always put it in RubberMaid tubs outside if need be), our gas stove is an old one so it doesn't need 'lectric to work, have a kerosene heater that will keep the house nice and toasty if power fails and the gas heter won't work cause the fan doesn't without 'lectric, kero lamps, a battery powered NOAA radio so other than loosing TV and 'puter, we have no worries. Also have 3 4X4's - my Bronco II, my 3/4t dodge asnd Hubby's 3/4t Ford so as soon as they get I-90 open (IF it gets closed) we can go. But then when you live in this area it ony makes sense to be prepared when we can hit temps in the -20F actual temp - wind chill gets a lot lower.

Suop sounds good tonight - will run to Commissary to get stuff for Cream of Leek soup.

Get ready and HOPEFULLY it won't hit you.

Susan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Meena,

Sue

Enough snow!
    Jan

Enough snow!

Jan
  • meena1
    Rague said:

Yup - it's on it's way! HEHE
    By the time it gets to you it'll be past us and I heard that another is probably on it's way to us for next week. Well - so far, not past us yet just getting here. Remember we're in the 'South' (LOL) - South DAKOTA! The sun has been out a couple of times today for short periods but we've gotten a bit over 2 inches in the last 3 hours so far here at the house.

I stay ready for winter storms - have a fair sized pantry and plenty of food in freezer (can always put it in RubberMaid tubs outside if need be), our gas stove is an old one so it doesn't need 'lectric to work, have a kerosene heater that will keep the house nice and toasty if power fails and the gas heter won't work cause the fan doesn't without 'lectric, kero lamps, a battery powered NOAA radio so other than loosing TV and 'puter, we have no worries. Also have 3 4X4's - my Bronco II, my 3/4t dodge asnd Hubby's 3/4t Ford so as soon as they get I-90 open (IF it gets closed) we can go. But then when you live in this area it ony makes sense to be prepared when we can hit temps in the -20F actual temp - wind chill gets a lot lower.

Suop sounds good tonight - will run to Commissary to get stuff for Cream of Leek soup.

Get ready and HOPEFULLY it won't hit you.

Susan

Marcia's list is really
    Marcia's list is really funny, but when my kids were little i did that also! There was a limited types of food that they eat. But the above soup sounds really good with some crusty french bread. I cook a lot, although i am not a great cook. Sometimes, i do find it theraputic. For some reason, my family (sisters, cousins and nieces) all seem to focus on food! it is supposed to be a freezing weekend, so i hope everyone stays warm.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Meena
    this has been an awful winter so far. I had to cancel my rads this past Tuesday because of ice. Yesterday I went to rads and couldn't get back up my driveway because our plow guy hadn't come yet. We had another 6" on top of the 2'+ we already had. I don't want this storm that's coming in Tuesday night as it may extend my rads another day....... Now we're having the frigid temps too! I made chili in the crockpot today. You must live on the east coast, eh? I'm doing my grocery shopping Monday!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Meena
    this has been an awful winter so far. I had to cancel my rads this past Tuesday because of ice. Yesterday I went to rads and couldn't get back up my driveway because our plow guy hadn't come yet. We had another 6" on top of the 2'+ we already had. I don't want this storm that's coming in Tuesday night as it may extend my rads another day....... Now we're having the frigid temps too! I made chili in the crockpot today. You must live on the east coast, eh? I'm doing my grocery shopping Monday!
    {{hugs}} Char

Keeping you gals, in good thoughts and prayers ...
    crock pot .. roasts, soups .. simmering all day, warm tasty meals .. Thinking of a few receipes .. will post later.

Please stay safe .. chicken soup, BBQ chicken .. via oven .. also purchase yukon golden potatoes .. great as baked potatoes with any roast, and carrots .. or

open 1 can black med. olives, microwave golden potatoes, celery, green onions .. quick and easy homemade potatoe salad -- please note ..no need to peel skin off potatoes --
    great side dish with oven baked .. BBQ chicken

chili beans, green salad and corn bread .. yummmmmmm

Please stay safe

Vicki Sam