My husband was just diagnosed with esophagael cancer

Jan101
Jan101 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
We don't know any details yet. Trying to figure out what kind of questions to ask before they set up a regimen.

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Welcome
    Hello Jan and welcome to you and your husband to our family of ec patients and survivors. I was a caregiver for my dad. He put up a 16 month battle and lost in March 2010. Get a notebook, or journal write all of your questions down. Write the answers down. You have come to the right place. There are a lot of wonderful, knowledgable, people here. There is a whole lot of info on EC here and on the internet.
    EC depends on what your husbands age is, what stage his cancer is, where you live, what hospital you are at etc. Always know you can get a 2nd opinion if you are not pleased with his current dx, or drs. There are plenty of wonderful hospitals and cancer centers that deal with this type of cancer. Come here often, we are always here for you and your husband. We all have a lot of faith, we pray daily, there is power in prayer!
    Tina in Va
  • Jan101

Welcome
    Hello Jan and welcome to you and your husband to our family of ec patients and survivors. I was a caregiver for my dad. He put up a 16 month battle and lost in March 2010. Get a notebook, or journal write all of your questions down. Write the answers down. You have come to the right place. There are a lot of wonderful, knowledgable, people here. There is a whole lot of info on EC here and on the internet.
    EC depends on what your husbands age is, what stage his cancer is, where you live, what hospital you are at etc. Always know you can get a 2nd opinion if you are not pleased with his current dx, or drs. There are plenty of wonderful hospitals and cancer centers that deal with this type of cancer. Come here often, we are always here for you and your husband. We all have a lot of faith, we pray daily, there is power in prayer!
    Tina in Va

Was you father on Medicare?
    Was you father on Medicare? I am really concerned about reaching the limits on my husband's policy. He is on 6o
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

I like your disclaimer
    Good posts. You are always so helpful.
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Best of luck in your journey
    Listen to your cancer team. Their teamwork and coordination are essential to successful treatment. They should inform you of as much as possible. Excessive delays should not occur. Accurate staging is the key to planning his care. Get the information as soon as practicable and share with this message board. They can then tell you some questions to ask and give you some hints. My husband had his surgery in April 2010 and is now doing quite well. The journey has its challenges, but it is the outcome that is what is important. Please keep us informed. The members have helped us a great deal. P.S. I know you have searched the internet and have read all sorts of articles, some not so great. A lot of old stuff is out there. Strides have been made in treatment and medicines. This board is a place of hope. Prayers for you and your family.
  • Jan101
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thank you. We live in Iowa
    Thank you. We live in Iowa and are considering going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. Do you have any advice or information on the facilities up there? I've been reading that the Mayo is one of the top rated facilities for this type of cancer. I don't even know how to begin to figure out which doctor would be the best. Right now they are suspecting stage 3 but we are just beginning this journey.

ANY ADVICE ON MAY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Jan101 said:

Was you father on Medicare?
    Was you father on Medicare? I am really concerned about reaching the limits on my husband's policy. He is on 6o

Hi Jan
    Yes my dad was on

Hi Jan
    Yes my dad was on medicare and had a supplemental policy as well. They paid for a whole lot of his treatments, scans, tests etc. The limits should be quite high. Consider getting a supplemental policy this way what medicare does not cover the other one will pick up. It also depends on what type of medicare he has. Some plans pay for almost all things. Keep up the good work. You are doing great.
    We will be praying for both of you.
    Tina in Va
  • vera
    vera Member Posts: 13
    new to ec as well..
    Jan, welcome

This truely will be a hard fight, however i am taking care of my dad who is on medicare/aarp and is currently in treatment at mt.sinai hospital in ny.,where we live..

Dad was dx in november on the 17th to be exact and we have been fighting stageiv mets ever since..
    Read as much as u can on ec and treatments this is a wonderful group to chat with and there is ec awareness web site. Chemo tx has been hard on dad he is 64 and holding stronge but it is very a long road and i believe if u read and write all things down u will cope better..i have kept a journal from the very first day,,also helps tp bring someone else with u to appt.'s as u may not remeber all that is told to you and an extra set of ears is always god as this is over whelming for everyone.. Good luck to you and your family, god bless and stay postive. feel free to write back to all of us and keep us updated on tx. Sincerly, Vera
  • Boston67
    Boston67 Member Posts: 61
    William will help you
    Hi,

Place close attention to messages by William & Loretta. He will steer you to a ton of information and probably some good advice.

We are all in this together and all try to help each other.

I am at the bigining, just ahead of you. Share all you details and soon you will add to our body of knowledge. Come on line frequently and write comments often. It sure has helped me.

Keith Rodney
    Boston Age 67
    Stage IV
    Chemotherapy starting soon with Dana Farber in Boston