Cant do rads

canjuncutie
canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a cat scan and mapping. to much pain. i drove home one handed. crying from the pain. told them to stop got yelled at I cant hold my left arm in the position they wanted . I got to much pain. I cant stop working . I have had it. even with rads it can come back. I am woman enough to say i cant do it. I be telling the rad onco again I cant do it.

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Oh sweetie... I'm so
    Oh sweetie... I'm so sorry... Pain isn't a fun thing..isn't there any way that they can help you with that. I would definately speak with your radiation oncologist... I know for me it was about using absolutely every weapon possible to keep the beast from rearing it's ugly head in my life again. For you, it may be different... Shame on them for yelling at you!!!! I would give them a good ol' fashioned piece of my mind!!!! Make sure that you mention that to your radiation oncologist.... Know I am thinking about you and praying that the pain subsides so that you can do whatever it is you need to do to fight this fight!

Hugs,
    ~T
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    taleena said:

Oh sweetie... I'm so
    Oh sweetie... I'm so sorry... Pain isn't a fun thing..isn't there any way that they can help you with that. I would definately speak with your radiation oncologist... I know for me it was about using absolutely every weapon possible to keep the beast from rearing it's ugly head in my life again. For you, it may be different... Shame on them for yelling at you!!!! I would give them a good ol' fashioned piece of my mind!!!! Make sure that you mention that to your radiation oncologist.... Know I am thinking about you and praying that the pain subsides so that you can do whatever it is you need to do to fight this fight!

Hugs,
    ~T

No one should yell at you.
    There are many facilities who can do your radiation. I would talk to your oncologist and tell him/her you need a referral to a kinder more compassionate radiology center. My experience was not like that. It makes me furious that you were treated badly. Don't let unkind people determine the decisions you make.

Roseann
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm sorry you feel
    that you can't do rads. You had a bad experience. I have no left shoulder so can't raise my left arm at all. I have a reverse total shoulder (prosthesis) in the right shoulder. It only moves in certain positions. I am able to lie down and raise my right arm enough to get the rads done. My arm aches afterwards and I have a hard time bringing it back down to my body. It's only sore for 15-30 min. I have to say making the mold for my shoulder took quite a while and I was quite sore afterwards and the tatooing hurt for a second but doable. I have 3 tattoos on my right side where my tumor was. Yes, we can all have a recurrence but I'm going to do whatever it takes to lessen my chances.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • canjuncutie
    taleena said:

Oh sweetie... I'm so

Hugs,
    ~T

he does not care
    i told him if i get pain it stops . i was told i couldnt bathe either.so now it be femara and vit d. even if i could have gone thru it it still could come back even with the rads.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Talk to your...
    Radiation oncologist....he can give you pain meds or perhaps delay your treatments...I assume you 've had a mastectomy? If your having that much pain from that still, it may be to soon to start rads....The actual radiation treatments only last 5 minutes or less....The treatments are painless..please, please speak to your radiation oncologist..they want you pain free..and you want to do all you can to beat this beast forever!!!!

My best to you,
    Nancy
  • canjuncutie
    MAJW said:

Talk to your...
    Radiation oncologist....he can give you pain meds or perhaps delay your treatments...I assume you 've had a mastectomy? If your having that much pain from that still, it may be to soon to start rads....The actual radiation treatments only last 5 minutes or less....The treatments are painless..please, please speak to your radiation oncologist..they want you pain free..and you want to do all you can to beat this beast forever!!!!

My best to you,
    Nancy

try 10 mins
    mod rad mastecomy. the surgery date was aug 18 2010 rad onco thinks i was laughing when i told him as soon as i feel pain or you burn this stops. i drove back home after i pick up my scrips from my onco one haned because of pain. i cant stop working because of rads. pain meds will put me to sleep. my whole underarm and shoulder hurts to much. talking ti him is useless. i just be in pain all week end long. i see him mon also i was told i cant bathe either for 6 weeks i dont think so .the mastecomy left me numb no pain from it . today i got to much pain my eyes watered i yowled .even going thru it wont beat .
  • canjuncutie
    cahjah75 said:

I'm sorry you feel
    that you can't do rads. You had a bad experience. I have no left shoulder so can't raise my left arm at all. I have a reverse total shoulder (prosthesis) in the right shoulder. It only moves in certain positions. I am able to lie down and raise my right arm enough to get the rads done. My arm aches afterwards and I have a hard time bringing it back down to my body. It's only sore for 15-30 min. I have to say making the mold for my shoulder took quite a while and I was quite sore afterwards and the tatooing hurt for a second but doable. I have 3 tattoos on my right side where my tumor was. Yes, we can all have a recurrence but I'm going to do whatever it takes to lessen my chances.
    {{hugs}} Char

i was told i couldnt bathe
    thier tats got removed pieces of tape. i removed them. this was to pain ful i thank the one above i had no pain after my surgery but today made up for it i drove one handed from the place home.i take the femara but not the rads i cant lay like that . rads is to painful no ones listens to you. Right now im sorry to say I wish i was died .now i dont know if it heart pain but my whole left arm hurts and shoulder. I cant stop working either.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

try 10 mins
    mod rad mastecomy. the surgery date was aug 18 2010 rad onco thinks i was laughing when i told him as soon as i feel pain or you burn this stops. i drove back home after i pick up my scrips from my onco one haned because of pain. i cant stop working because of rads. pain meds will put me to sleep. my whole underarm and shoulder hurts to much. talking ti him is useless. i just be in pain all week end long. i see him mon also i was told i cant bathe either for 6 weeks i dont think so .the mastecomy left me numb no pain from it . today i got to much pain my eyes watered i yowled .even going thru it wont beat .

So sorry
    I am so sorry you had such an awful experience. I have tendonitis in my shoulder on the side I had rads. It was uncomfortable. The treatments are really fast once you get the CT and mapping done. I was in and out in 10 minutes some days and that included getting undressed and dressed back. I was blessed with wonderful techs, very kind and considerate. I did not care for my Rad. Onc. but everyone else was great. I am not sure about the no bathing I continued to bathe the whole 6 weeks. I had marks with either a sharpie or paint pen covered with an adhesive cirle no tatoos. I hope you can find a solution to this, as others have said we want to do everything we can to beat it!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415

So sorry
    I am so sorry you had such an awful experience. I have tendonitis in my shoulder on the side I had rads. It was uncomfortable. The treatments are really fast once you get the CT and mapping done. I was in and out in 10 minutes some days and that included getting undressed and dressed back. I was blessed with wonderful techs, very kind and considerate. I did not care for my Rad. Onc. but everyone else was great. I am not sure about the no bathing I continued to bathe the whole 6 weeks. I had marks with either a sharpie or paint pen covered with an adhesive cirle no tatoos. I hope you can find a solution to this, as others have said we want to do everything we can to beat it!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I really feel for you
    You must have had such a bad experience. My techs for radiation were so caring. Talk to your radiation oncologist and get some help...don't pass radiation up. It's another aid to beating this thing and should not be that uncomfortable. Take care. Pat
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

I really feel for you
    You must have had such a bad experience. My techs for radiation were so caring. Talk to your radiation oncologist and get some help...don't pass radiation up. It's another aid to beating this thing and should not be that uncomfortable. Take care. Pat

It is unforgivable for
    It is unforgivable for anyone to yell at you when you were in so much pain. I really do hate to see you deny yourself all chances to fight because you were treated so badly. Your physical pain is hard enough without someone adding emotional pain to it by yelling at you. As others have written, please talk to your rads oncologist to see if there isn't some way you can be treated without so much pain. Warmest, caring thoughts coming your way.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Sorry to hear that you are having so much pain.
    Hopefully your oncologist will be able to do something for you. Sending you a big "gentle" hug.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Sorry to hear that you are having so much pain.
    Hopefully your oncologist will be able to do something for you. Sending you a big "gentle" hug.

xoxo,
    Jean

Yikes .. I am so very sorry for all your pain and suffering --
    what a road of pain. I can not even imagine, what you've gone thru. Please keep pushing thru, and see if you can get another opinion. Please Please for yourself and extended
    family .. here on our boards and at home.

Strength, Courage and Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam
  • newlife2011
    newlife2011 Member Posts: 40
    OMG, this is terrible. Have
    OMG, this is terrible. Have any of you ever been told to take Vitamin B12? I know that at one point our current admin was going to pull it off the shelves. I was diagnosed with TB about 4 years ago and they treated it with Isoniazid which was a form of chemo, my doctor told me to double up on my Vitamin B12 for the pain it would cause. This may be very , very different but I am wondering why I am not hearing anything about Vitamin B12.???? cajuncutey, in my mind I am hugging you so hard you couldnt possibly hurt!
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    I had the same thought when
    I had the same thought when I went for my mapping. I cried as well, but I realized this was just one more thing we have to fight. After a few days of pushing through the pain and crying it suddently got better. I so looked forward to my last treatment (I had 33). The funny thing is I now miss the other sisters in pink that I came to know. They gave me strength. Hang in there, I'm sending you an angel.
    Sparkle
  • MAJW

try 10 mins

Yes you can bathe and shower..
    I think you misunderstood them about bathing...I've never heard anyone who has been told they can't bathe for 6 weeks..did you do your arm stretching exercises after your mastectomy? If not, that could be what's causing the pain... If you can't take prescription pain meds how about Advil? Did you have chemotherapy? If your not happy with your present radiTion Oncologist, ask to see a different one...

I wish you well....
  • MAJW
    sparkle1 said:

I had the same thought when
    I had the same thought when I went for my mapping. I cried as well, but I realized this was just one more thing we have to fight. After a few days of pushing through the pain and crying it suddently got better. I so looked forward to my last treatment (I had 33). The funny thing is I now miss the other sisters in pink that I came to know. They gave me strength. Hang in there, I'm sending you an angel.
    Sparkle

Sparkle is right on!
    We have to work through pain, misery and everything else to regain our health...it is worth it!
    Well said Sparkle!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    VickiSam said:

Yikes .. I am so very sorry for all your pain and suffering --
    what a road of pain. I can not even imagine, what you've gone thru. Please keep pushing thru, and see if you can get another opinion. Please Please for yourself and extended
    family .. here on our boards and at home.

Strength, Courage and Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam

I am sorry to read this. Is
    I am sorry to read this. Is there any other rads oncologist or cancer center near you?

Sending good luck,

Diane
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I can't believe they did that to you.
    I have a lot of problems with my shoulder and told everyone that from the very beginning.
    Did they try to make a mold for you? That's what they do at the caner center I went to.
    The very first time I went in for the mapping and tattos they made a mold for me to lie
    in/on. I was barely able to get my arm up far enough but with the help of the mold it made the treatments easier on my shoulder. Please ask about this and don't give up on the treatments.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • canjuncutie
    ladyg said:

I can't believe they did that to you.
    I have a lot of problems with my shoulder and told everyone that from the very beginning.
    Did they try to make a mold for you? That's what they do at the caner center I went to.
    The very first time I went in for the mapping and tattos they made a mold for me to lie
    in/on. I was barely able to get my arm up far enough but with the help of the mold it made the treatments easier on my shoulder. Please ask about this and don't give up on the treatments.

Hugs,
    Georgia

I cant sleep becauseof pain
    I did not mis understand about bathing. advil dont touch it. i touch one vicodin and im up. I wish I was died I cant take pain I cant time of of work. Now to i cant be around people for three days after thje rads I cant do it. I done chemo. No more pain. I am being forced . I told them i get pain or burn it off. I got pain. I only agreed to a act scan not to be tat .
  • canjuncutie
    MAJW said:

Yes you can bathe and shower..
    I think you misunderstood them about bathing...I've never heard anyone who has been told they can't bathe for 6 weeks..did you do your arm stretching exercises after your mastectomy? If not, that could be what's causing the pain... If you can't take prescription pain meds how about Advil? Did you have chemotherapy? If your not happy with your present radiTion Oncologist, ask to see a different one...

I wish you well....

after the mastecomy
    I was just sent home with a script for pain pils which i did take i had no pain. I was told nothing about what i could do or couldnt do.