Another Dutch morning!

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today is Friday. Every Friday we start the same way. After breakfast, showering and dressing, we get in the car (or on the bikes in summer) and make our way downtown to the market. This market has been there since the 1500's. Stalls for anything and everything you could or do need. Fresh fruits and vegies. Handmade cheeses. FRESH fish (caught this morning), flowers, clothing, shoes, material for sewing. Sweets and nuts.

The feeling of history and tradition is strong there. We shop under the protective 'eye' of the old gothic church in the center of the city. In summer, inside there are organ concerts, free to all (and a great place to beat the heat...lol). Every market day, we are treated to an outside concert from the carillion (bells) played by hand from the church tower. Today, it was music from the movie 'The Sound of Music'...we all were humming along!

And then, as it grew colder, and people scurried a bit faster to finish their shopping, a miracle happened...it started to SNOW!!! Slowly at first, with rain mixed in, but then full on SNOW!!! Most of the residents just walked on...I stopped, and smiled, and clapped my hands...just like a 5 year old!!! It reminded me that all things continue to change, and to make the most of each and every moment.

So, I sit now in a warm nook in my house, by the open hearth, and share my day's beginning with you all!

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Kathi.........
    I can just picture it all. Such a wonderful description of the area! And I would love to have a market like that near us. We do have a fresh produce stand just down the road from us (in summer, of course) and our young granddaughter just loves to go there with us and choose fruits and veggies to eat. So I know that she would just simply adore the market where you go! Thank you for sharing the start of your day with us!

Yes, things do change. Some for good, some not so good. But everything is on its way somewhere, so it all changes.

Hugs,
    CR
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kathi, thanks for sharing
    Kathi, thanks for sharing and it sounds absolutely beautiful. I think once you have been in our shoes, we enjoy and take note of the beauty around us. Your description is so vivid, I feel like I was there with you. Enjoy yourself!
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    MyTurnNow said:

Kathi, thanks for sharing
    Kathi, thanks for sharing and it sounds absolutely beautiful. I think once you have been in our shoes, we enjoy and take note of the beauty around us. Your description is so vivid, I feel like I was there with you. Enjoy yourself!

Thank you
    Love your posts Kathi....I'm enjoying every moment.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thank you
    Love your posts Kathi....I'm enjoying every moment.

Kathi .. Thank you for taking me on this adventure
    with you and Hans today. I savored every moment.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Magical imagery. Thank you
    Magical imagery. Thank you for taking us there. I can feel the snow falling on my face. It all sounds so wonderful. I am happy for you.
    BL
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Kathi... with your
    Kathi... with your description, I can see it in my minds eye! What a beautiful picture you paint!!! So, are you drinking hot chocolate??? lol... I think that would make the moment "perfect"...Well, it actually sounds perfect already.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs,
    ~T
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    You paint such a lovely
    You paint such a lovely picture...thank you for sharing the joy.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Kathi I so enjoyed your
    Kathi I so enjoyed your descriptive morning at the historical market. It sounds absolutely inviting with all that fresh food. I like the European ways. Stay warm, enjoy the snowy view and live out your day with the thoughts of the Sound of Music. Thank you for sharing your beginning day with us it warmed my heart and my thoughts.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    natly15 said:

Kathi I so enjoyed your
    Kathi I so enjoyed your descriptive morning at the historical market. It sounds absolutely inviting with all that fresh food. I like the European ways. Stay warm, enjoy the snowy view and live out your day with the thoughts of the Sound of Music. Thank you for sharing your beginning day with us it warmed my heart and my thoughts.

I just love when you share
    I just love when you share with us. I can picture you and Hans shopping and walking and talking. And the snow falling. What a lovely, lovely vision I have in my mine. Thank you, thank you. Such history. I am always inspired by your spirit. You are a special lady, dear Kathi.

Stef