kayladenisse
kayladenisse Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here, just tripped over the site 3 minutes ago! Stage IV breast cancer, I'm 38 years old, and first chemo starts Monday. EEEEEK! Very scared, but ready to go. Will be getting Avastin and Ixempra. Weekly infusions as part of a clinical trial. Any, any, any encouragement stories desperately needed! Anyone taken Ixempra?

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Welcome kayladenisse,
    Sorry that you are here, but glad you found us. This is a wonderful site to ask questions, vent, scream, or just read. I didn't have your type of chemo. The best advice that I can give you is to make sure your hydrate a few days before, the day of, and a few days after. This really helps.

You may have dry mouth from chemo. I used Biotin mouthwash, toothpaste & gel which really helped me. If you have a metal taste in your mouth, try using plastic forks & spoons.

Lucky for me I didn't get sick or have any major side effects from chemo. I would have constipation for about a day or two and then diarreah for a day or two after that. However, everyone is different. I wish you the best. Make sure you let us know how you make out.

Hugs,
    Jean
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Jean 0609 said:

Welcome kayladenisse,
    Sorry that you are here, but glad you found us. This is a wonderful site to ask questions, vent, scream, or just read. I didn't have your type of chemo. The best advice that I can give you is to make sure your hydrate a few days before, the day of, and a few days after. This really helps.

You may have dry mouth from chemo. I used Biotin mouthwash, toothpaste & gel which really helped me. If you have a metal taste in your mouth, try using plastic forks & spoons.

Lucky for me I didn't get sick or have any major side effects from chemo. I would have constipation for about a day or two and then diarreah for a day or two after that. However, everyone is different. I wish you the best. Make sure you let us know how you make out.

Hugs,
    Jean

Welcome to our pink sisterhood
    Hi Kayladenisse,

So sorry that you have a reason to be here, but I'm glad you found this wonderful site. You will find an amazing support group here. I don't have your type of cancer, I have Inflammatory Breast cancer. Like Jean said, make sure that you drink LOTS of water the day before, of, and after chemo. It truly helps. Also, I have found that if I suck on ice chips for the first 30 minutes of chemo it does help with the metallic taste. It doesn't make it go away, but it does help. Get lots of rest and stay strong and positive.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hugs to you,

Dawne
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I have a friend who was on
    I have a friend who was on the clinical trial with avastin and that was 7 yrs ago, she is doing great today, she's an EMT with a local Ambulance company.
  • kayladenisse

Welcome to our pink sisterhood
    Hi Kayladenisse,

So sorry that you have a reason to be here, but I'm glad you found this wonderful site. You will find an amazing support group here. I don't have your type of cancer, I have Inflammatory Breast cancer. Like Jean said, make sure that you drink LOTS of water the day before, of, and after chemo. It truly helps. Also, I have found that if I suck on ice chips for the first 30 minutes of chemo it does help with the metallic taste. It doesn't make it go away, but it does help. Get lots of rest and stay strong and positive.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hugs to you,

Dawne

well thanks for welcoming me!
    Good thing I heard from all of you a couple of days beforehand, that gives me enough time for the hydration. The clinical trial nurse told me that one girl on the trial brings a lemon to chemo and it helps with the metallic taste. blech, but it might be worth a shot!!!!
  • kayladenisse
    lanie940 said:

I have a friend who was on the clinical trial with avastin and that was 7 yrs ago, she is doing great today, she's an EMT with a local Ambulance company.

clinical trial
    Was she stage 4?
  • kayladenisse
    lanie940 said:

clinical trial
    Was she stage 4?
  • newlife2011
    newlife2011 Member Posts: 40
    Hi Kayladenisse,
    So sorry to

Hi Kayladenisse,

So sorry to hear this. My BFF was diagnosed with Stage IV at the age of 39 just under 2 years ago. She went through a clinical trial where she received 7 different drugs, some anti nausea and Benedryl. She did very well. She had treatment weekly for 4 months. She would tell you that you should research, and make sure you have a couple of opinions before starting to make sure that you are ok with this decision. Making yourself comfortable with your treatment makes treatment and peace of mind come a bit easier. She happened to work in an Oncology clinic to boot. Not anymore, as of TODAY IS HER LAST DAY...WOOOHOOO....it caused her way too much stress.

The only thing I think she might regret is that Cancer Centers of America (she was not treated by) told her to make sure that she received a scan 3 weeks after starting the trial to make sure that what she was recieving was working. He mentioned that by doing this trial (placebo) they could be risking her chances of anything else working for her if this did not work.

She is Stage IV with 16 nodes affected, and it is metastisized to her bone in about 9 different places. Her diagnosis was in April of 2009. She is doing great! She is currently on Herceptin, tamoxifen and Zometa. She does have a bit of pain here and there and doesnt like the fact that she gets tired easier but her attitude is top notch. She has her moments like everyone else but she is doing great, so hang in there. You can do this too. I am off tomorrow morning to spend some time with her and am going to talk to her about this site. I will put her in touch with you if she has more to add. I also think this site may do her some good. I am amazed at the true beauty of all the women here. You found a great place for support....Oh yes, and Aortus is pretty beautiful too : ) HE warms my heart!

Keep us posted!
    Thoughts and prayers,
    Wendy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I also wanted to welcome
    I also wanted to welcome you, Kayladenisse, to this amazing group of warriors. I don't have the same type of bc but know that we will be with you to offer support, encouragement, knowledge and love. Good luck with your treatment(s) and ask any questions. Someone here will come along to assist. Take care.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Sorry for the Circumstances You Found This Board...
    but it's a great place to be. You will find amazing strength and hope here!

Don't let the stage freak you out! And don't read too much into the statistics! I have two friends who where diagnosed with stage 4 and there still around 8 years later! And...my mom's best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 15 years ago and is doing great!!

So...as scary as it is...there are plenty of "good" stories out there and you MUST KEEP THE HOPE! Keep positive and keep fighting the good fight! You can WIN!!

Blessings,
    Sally
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    sal314 said:

Sorry for the Circumstances You Found This Board...
    but it's a great place to be. You will find amazing strength and hope here!

Don't let the stage freak you out! And don't read too much into the statistics! I have two friends who where diagnosed with stage 4 and there still around 8 years later! And...my mom's best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 15 years ago and is doing great!!

So...as scary as it is...there are plenty of "good" stories out there and you MUST KEEP THE HOPE! Keep positive and keep fighting the good fight! You can WIN!!

Blessings,
    Sally

I agree with sal
    We're all sorry for the reason you are here with us...but don't listen to too many sad stories...there are plenty of good ones too. Take each day as it comes and deal with that and keep positive. Take care. Pat
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    You've received some great
    You've received some great advice, so I don't have anything to add in that area. I hope your treatments go smoothly. Come back often and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

You've received some great
    You've received some great advice, so I don't have anything to add in that area. I hope your treatments go smoothly. Come back often and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda

Welcome
    I did not have this chemo either but I wanted to welcome you. I am sorry you need to be here but glad you found this site. There are some wonderful people here. For me the chemo I had was not near as bad as I thought it would be. I will be praying for you! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Welcome
    to this wonderful site of pink sisters. I had a different chemo cocktail and am now getting rads. Visit this site often and ask all the questions you can think of and someone will surely have an answer or some advice.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Welcome
    to this wonderful site of pink sisters. I had a different chemo cocktail and am now getting rads. Visit this site often and ask all the questions you can think of and someone will surely have an answer or some advice.
    {{hugs}} Char

I also had a different
    I also had a different cocktail for chemo but you will be so glad you found this site as you go through treatment. There is no question too small or odd. Odds are someone has experienced it. Take care and welcome.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    GayleMc said:

I also had a different
    I also had a different cocktail for chemo but you will be so glad you found this site as you go through treatment. There is no question too small or odd. Odds are someone has experienced it. Take care and welcome.

I AM, I AM, I AM...taking
    I AM, I AM, I AM...taking the drug Ixempra. I am also stage 4. I just had my first infusion with ixempra on Tuesday, it was not too bad, although i did throw up last nite and i do have some stomach pains. I was on a different chemo and it did not work. Where did your chemo spread to, mine has spread to my bones and my liver. I have not heard of anyone else on this drug, so i will also send you a private message. Did you have the drug yet? please let me know how you are doing
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    meena1 said:

I AM, I AM, I AM...taking
    I AM, I AM, I AM...taking the drug Ixempra. I am also stage 4. I just had my first infusion with ixempra on Tuesday, it was not too bad, although i did throw up last nite and i do have some stomach pains. I was on a different chemo and it did not work. Where did your chemo spread to, mine has spread to my bones and my liver. I have not heard of anyone else on this drug, so i will also send you a private message. Did you have the drug yet? please let me know how you are doing

I just sent you a private
    I just sent you a private message, you can click on messages and you will see it. I hope that I can encourage you, I have been here for awhile.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    meena1 said:

I just sent you a private
    I just sent you a private message, you can click on messages and you will see it. I hope that I can encourage you, I have been here for awhile.

I am sorry that you have had
    I am sorry that you have had to join our board but you will find support, love and caring here. I am not in the same space as you but I know that there are others, such as Meena, who will be able to talk more with you. I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so sorry for all that
    I am so sorry for all that you are going through. I am Stage 4 but only on zometa and arimidex (finished radiation). But I just wanted to say that you have come to a great place and I am sorry that you had to find us because of cancer, but please know that everyone here will try and help. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Welcome
    You have gotten some good advise already. I just want to say welcome although I am sorry you had to come hear you will be very glad you did. Everyone one here gives lots of support, information and an ear for listening. I hope your treatments go well.

Hugs,
    Georgia