Lisa's obituary

tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know many of you ... like me ... are having a very difficult time since we heard about the loss of our beloved Lisa (Moopy). I just wanted to know more about her ... and her life before cancer ... so I googled her ... and found her obituary ... which I thought I'd share with you ...

Lisa Gray Hughes ended her brave two-year battle with breast cancer on the morning of January 14, 2011. The daughter of John and Dorothy (Haygood) Snider, Lisa Dawn Gray was born on March 23, 1960 in Lawrenceburg, Tenn. She graduated from Lawrence Country High School in 1978; and earned her BS (1984) and MA (1986) in English from Middle Tennessee State University. On May 23, 1992 Lisa was married to Joseph Hughes in Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Springfield, Mo.

Lisa first moved to Springfield in 1988 to teach English at Missouri State University. She later worked at JPMorganChase, where she was recently promoted to Senior Advisor. She was a voracious reader from childhood on, and was passionate about national politics. But Lisa's greatest passion was for making other people - family, friends, and complete strangers alike - feel special about themselves. This was most true of her relationship with her fellow breast cancer survivors on the Cancer Support Network, known as the "Kindred Spirits."

Lisa was preceded in death by her mother, Dorothy Snider and her brother, Guy B. "Chuck" Gray. In addition to her husband, Lisa is survived by her father, John (Lillian Kendall) Snider, of Ethridge, Tenn.; and her sisters, Jackie Hernandez, of Nashville, Tenn., and Lorrie (Jerry) King, of Fort Chiswell, Va. Also surviving Lisa are her father-in-law, Ray Hughes, of Chippewa Falls, Wisc.; her brother-in law, Tom (Pam) Hughes, of Chippewa Falls, Wisc.; and her sister-in-law, Janet Krueger, of Sheboygan Falls, Wisc. She is further survived by her special friend, Sister Pauline Nugent and by her three canine children, Eefy, Yongy, and Nubi. Finally, Lisa is survived by cousins, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews, and grand-nieces, and friends from the four corners of the earth, especially her "Kindred Spirits."

The family gratefully thanks Drs. Hee-Sun Kim, Rajesh Nair, Barbra Horn, and Marie Taylor, along with all of the doctors, nurses, and staff who worked so hard to make this journey easier for Lisa. A prayer service and visitation will be held in Gorman-Scharpf Funeral Home at 6:30 p.m., on Sunday, January 16, with the Funeral Mass at 11 a.m., Monday, January 17, in Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 2818 East Bennett Street. Interment will be at St. Mary's Cemetery in Winona, Minn.

Sleep well, beloved little Kitten, until we see each other again.

Published in the News-Leader on January 16, 2011

I hope Lisa realized how many lives she truly touched ... and that she will never be forgotten by any of us who got to know her through this website. She was a gift to us all ... and we know she's in up there with the rest of the angels ... but she's paying a little extra special attention to "us." Our own personal angel.

love,
Teena

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    All I can say...
    Is amen...she fought the good fight,is pain free and in glory! I believe it touched us all so deeply,because of the saying..." But by the grace of God, go I"...

May she rest in peace...and prayers that Joe and her loved ones find strength to get through this...and hopefully it will be of some small comfort to them that so many people, unknown to them, really care.

Peace be with us all
    Nancy
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    What a lovely and thoughtful
    What a lovely and thoughtful obituary! Our Lisa was so special--she will be greatly missed.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    The desire to know Lisa a little better...
    I don't believe she, nor Joe (hope not!), will mind if I share this small tidbit with all of you.

The origin of Lisa's "Moopy23" ID:

"Moopy" is the affectionate nickname bestowed upon Lisa by Joe during their courtship.

"23" pays homage to the legendary basketball player, Michael Jordan - it was his jersey number. Moopy was a rabid Bulls "fan-atic" during the Jordan-era championship run. As was I, a native Chicagoan. It was one of the very first things we learned about each other, one of many more to come, that made us feel connected beyond and outside of the cancer journey. And, via common experiences and perspectives, made us feel as if we'd known each other much longer than we actually did.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668

The desire to know Lisa a little better...
    I don't believe she, nor Joe (hope not!), will mind if I share this small tidbit with all of you.

The origin of Lisa's "Moopy23" ID:

"Moopy" is the affectionate nickname bestowed upon Lisa by Joe during their courtship.

"23" pays homage to the legendary basketball player, Michael Jordan - it was his jersey number. Moopy was a rabid Bulls "fan-atic" during the Jordan-era championship run. As was I, a native Chicagoan. It was one of the very first things we learned about each other, one of many more to come, that made us feel connected beyond and outside of the cancer journey. And, via common experiences and perspectives, made us feel as if we'd known each other much longer than we actually did.

Kind regards, Susan

What a beautiful obituary
    This is such a beautiful and touching obituary. I didn't know her, but I can tell that she was an amazing, strong person who was loved by many. God rest her soul and bless her family.
    Dawne
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Thank you for sharing these memories
    Here is another story of what a compassionate, loving woman Moopy was: when she first posted about her potential liver mets diagnosis, I received a PM from her that same day. She wanted to make sure that I was not having anxiety because we had a similar initial diagnosis. She pointed out how her cancer was a bit more advanced than mine from the get-go and told me not to worry. That she took the time to try to comfort ME during her own crisis speaks to her true personality and boundless care. She is missed.

Mimi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

What a lovely and thoughtful
    What a lovely and thoughtful obituary! Our Lisa was so special--she will be greatly missed.

Still such a shock ... Thank you for sharing this
    with us, Teena. Moopy was such a great, and dear WARRIOR - which is shown by her obituary.

Strength and Courage for all,

Vicki Sam
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    mimivac said:

Thank you for sharing these memories
    Here is another story of what a compassionate, loving woman Moopy was: when she first posted about her potential liver mets diagnosis, I received a PM from her that same day. She wanted to make sure that I was not having anxiety because we had a similar initial diagnosis. She pointed out how her cancer was a bit more advanced than mine from the get-go and told me not to worry. That she took the time to try to comfort ME during her own crisis speaks to her true personality and boundless care. She is missed.

Mimi

That was a moving, beautiful
    That was a moving, beautiful obituary and thank you for sharing. And for the others, sharing special moments is so wonderful. I always thought the 23 was because she was born on the 23rd. It is nice to know what it really stood for. And Mimi, how like Moopy to want to reassure you when she was going through this. There was a time when I was down and worried about my Den. I hadn't posted anything about it, actually I hadn't been posting much. Moopy sent me a PM asking in her gentle way if all was well and I poured my heart and fears out to her. She wrote me back and comforted me and then posted on the board that I could use some extra prayers. This meant the world to me. It was just the way she was. We are better people for having known her. I know that she is looking out for all of us and it gives me comfort.
    Stef
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    How beautiful.
    This was so touching.

Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,

Sylvia